AceInMySleeve's Summer of Rucking

So I've participated in a number of 6-week challenges so far, all have been pretty good at pushing me towards my crazy goals.  This time around it's pretty simple, GoRuck Selection is coming, time to get serious.  I have a half-ironman Tri on 6/9, after that, 2 months until a bunch of special forces guys hand my @ss to me.  So none of these goals really kick off until middle of next week (depending on recovery time), but training gets kicked into high gear then.

Fitness

Goal #1: 3x Rucks per week, increasing weight as appropriate.  I need to continue toughening my feet and getting used to moving with weight.

Goal #2: 10x workouts per week.  Sounds crazy, but I'm already in the 6-7 range, now I just need to add on the rucks without getting hurt and try to make it to yoga more consistently.

Goal #3: Weigh 170 lbs by July 14th - Currently approximately 180 lbs, need to focus on eating clean and the weight should come off pretty quickly.

Life

Find 3 cost saving methods in support of training/eating healthy.

Pretty simple really, just need to fully commit and see what happens.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

So this week started off pretty good, CFE + CF on Monday, good grinding workouts, CF on Tuesday, 1+2 clean + jerk work up to 155# and plank hold (3min front, 2mins each L/R).  Another CFE+CF tonight, then equipment checks leading into this weekend.

Discovered an amazing hummus+ jerk chicken recipe, can't stop eating it, luckily its good for me.

I ended up skipping the CF workout on Wednesday night and just doing CFE, I was feeling wiped and the workouts were very similar.  Thursday was a light jog to test out my running shoe laces (had to put new locklaces on instead of the standard ones).  It's still pouring outside, so I'm going to have to stick my bike on the trainer for one last equipment check tonight.  Saturday is travel day down to Cambridge, MD and race day Sunday.

So I suck horribly for not updating, but had some setbacks to work through over the last couple weeks, but I'm back with a vengeance now.

So first of all, the race:

Eagleman was tough, it was another scorcher (90+ by the time I started the run), and I had my first mechanical issues on my bike.  The glue that attached my gel pads to my aerobars melted, leaving me riding on plastic for 20 miles until I found a mechanic to help me tape them back on.  Finished up in just under 3 hours, about 10 minutes slower than last year. On the run I couldn't overcome the heat, especially the back half, which lead to a disappoint "run" of 2:43.  I was shooting for a 2:15 or better, so not great.  Overall, just a rough day, I'm happy to have finished, but I need to figure out how to deal with heat better.  Hopefully this will continue to motivate me moving forward.

The biggest negative from the race though was injuring my left hand.  I have a compressed ulnar nerve from riding on the plastic handlebars for so long, meaning my left pinky and ring finger feel like pins and needles or are asleep all of the time.  Frustrating for training, I had to take almost two weeks off until my doctor could get the proper tests done to make sure there was no permanent injury. For better or worse, I now have a 4-6 month recovery in front of me, but no training limitations other than pain tolerance.

I got this news last monday, so last week I made it to Crossfit 5x, CFE 3x, and went for 2 rucks (a 13 miler and a 5 miler).  I'm happy to be back, now I need to rededicate myself for the rest of the challenge.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines