Sandman's "fit for the trip" Challenge

Arrighty Then!

As the title suggests, I've got a bike trip coming in July and I would LOVE to be THE fittest one going of my group of buddies. I'm already in a substantially better place than I was for last year's bike trip (

- see the video desc for the complete trilogy) but am nowhere near where I'd like to be. This challenge will help me with that.

I have a busy busy 6 weeks ahead of me, and I don't foresee having any lazy days (be it by choice or not). Time is of the essence even now, so enough of the pleasantries. Lets get down to the bizness, shall we!!!

Challenge Background

In the coming 6 weeks I have two major events happening in RL. We're moving (changing cities to be closer to work) and my wife is going to Vegas for a week for a conference (no hangover shenanigans this time, I hope) leaving me to handle the rugrats solo the entire time. This will be a challenge in and of itself (a sub-challenge if you will) and attempting to find workout time in this period will be an interesting ball of wax for sure.

Last challenge witnessed me cresting the 200s to finally enter 'one'derland as they call it on Biggest Loser. I honestly don't remember the last time I was sub-200 with my weight and I don't plan on ever going back there again. Total weight loss since joining the rebellion last fall - 24lbs (Although the majority of that has happened in the last few months). It's been a slower path for me than some but it's a result of needing to find a balance between family life, work life and personal life. I'd rather take my time getting there and all the while create new habits than sacrifice work or family and risk crashing and failing as I've done so many times in the past.

Lastly, while it doesn't take place during this challenge, I plan to spend the next six weeks training for my bike trip happening shortly after the end of it. I shall incorporate some of my training as part of my challenge goals.

Fitness Challenges

Starting Weight: 199lbs

As I love watching the numbers drop on the scale so much, I want to stick to my goal of dropping pounds. Challenge weight goal: 187lbs (2lbs / wk). Final weight goal: 165lbs. It's around there that I'll start focusing on building muscle mass back, with the goal of topping out around 190lbs.

Taking a little different route with the goals this time and follow the KISS principle. Less focus on rigid routines and more focus on being more fluid and flexible with what happens. Mostly this is due to the above mentioned events that will be swallowing up a great deal of my time. (packing, unpacking, etc)

1) Ride the mtn bike at least 3 lunch hours a week, and a solid 'off the beaten path' ride at least once every two weeks. Once moved, ride to work every day - rain or shine.

2) STRETCH (yoga?). I don't do this nearly enough and my 8-5 mouse pusher job is really taking it's toll on my hammys. Going to really focus on just spending ALOT of time stretching things out, and making friends with my wife's foam roller.

3) Chinups/Pullups. I discovered that for some reason attempting a pullup at home is a much different scenario from using the bar at the gym. I have no idea why this is so, but at the gym I was completely useless from a dead hang, while at home I was able to at least get partially up from the same hang. Knowing this now, I intend to continue on my sporadic attempts at completing not one, but two complete chinups and pullups by the end of the challenge. I say sporadic because of the 'Grease the Groove' mentality I use to practice this.

Level Up Challenges

A) Setup a new gym membership after we finish moving. As well, now that we'll have the room, setup all my collected workout equipment into a proper workout space.

B) Get COMPLETELY unpacked. We've been in our current place for 3 years now and we're still living a little bit out of boxes. No more. Get every single box unpacked and make like we're not actually a family of gypsies..

C) I'm volunteering with Special Olympics Canada helping with organizing the 2012 Winter Games. One of my tasks is designing the 'accreditation' ID badges that participants and delegates will be wearing. While the games are a long way off, I'd like to handle this portion WELL in advance, so now it's become a level up goal.

Think that's it. Let's do this!

EDIT:

Complete a previous challenge goal - ski trip video is complete!

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

um, your third levelup challenge is awesome.

for yoga, downward dog is your friend. make friends with it :)

and for the pullups, i highly recommend using bands.

It is indeed very awesome. Being highly involved with the Down syndrome world already, it was a natural progression to get involved with Special O. The 2012 games are being hosted in the city I live and work in, so I totally jumped on this once in a lifetime chance to get involved.

Will say hello to the dog, and look into getting some bands. Brand recommendation?

Jason

Follow my adventures!

EFFING AWESOME

Last night, I took a break from packing and managed to complete a goal from previous challenges that never got met. I managed to complete my music video for the ski trip I went on in MARCH. It's not as good as I was hoping to have made, but upon reviewing the footage I took, discovered there was ALOT that was practically unusable (unstable video, bad angles, etc).

For my bike trip in July we plan to have no less than three cameras rolling for most of the time there so I should be able to put something awesome together for that one.

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Thanks. Fake snow is often just as good as the real thing. Many of our hills here need to supplement with snow machines because we just don't get enough some seasons.

Snowboarding is alot of fun - and easier than skiing IMO. Should you ever find yourself on a winter trip to Canada, I'd be happy to take you out and show you how we do it in the North. :) If and when Steve decides that Canada is a worthwhile stop on his epic quest I plan to do the same for him...

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Congrats on Onederland from the last challenge. I just want to say that I myself am extremely motivated to get there too.

'Tis a great feeling. Be sure and announce it in the w00t room when you do! I suppose I should do the same lol. I'm waiting until i'm permanently in that range (198 or less) before I do because right now i'm fluctuating between 199 and 200.

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Thanks. Fake snow is often just as good as the real thing. Many of our hills here need to supplement with snow machines because we just don't get enough some seasons.

Snowboarding is alot of fun - and easier than skiing IMO. Should you ever find yourself on a winter trip to Canada, I'd be happy to take you out and show you how we do it in the North. :) If and when Steve decides that Canada is a worthwhile stop on his epic quest I plan to do the same for him...

Oh I'll take you up on that! In the meantime I may just have to give the fake stuff a try this winter. I'm always weary of fake anything.

STR - 3.5 | DEX - 2.5 | STA - 2.25 | CON - 7.25 | WIS - 4.25 | CHA - 7

JMBrunson - Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Find me here:

Twitter: @matthewbrunson

Facebook

Runkeeper

Tumblr

Instagram: matthewbrunson

These are awesome:

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

yet expensive. I haven't tried any other brands.

wicked. thanks!

Your trip sounds tremendously fun. I also love your third level-up goal - I've been working with the Special Olympics as a coach since I was 11, and it's an incredible organization.

Wow, that's awesome! It's cool to see people popping out of the woodwork that are involved with Special O. Everyone 'knows' about it, but even still it seems to be a fairly low-key organization. I'm hoping that one day my involvement will be as a spectator as I watch my daughter win gold at some event. Still many years away from that though, lol, she's only 4. :)

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Slow start for the challenge for me. My wife is currently getting over a bad cold/bronchitis ordeal - so much of her time is still spent sleeping/recovering. This leaves me picking up both shares of the housework for the most part and leaving me with little to no time for myself.

I did however get in a small bodyweight workout (pushups and planks) in the washroom last night while watching the kids have their baths. Also spent a good hour moving ALL the stuff we had in our shed in the backyard to the garage in the front. I guess these two combined could make for a half decent impromptu workout.

The next few days I think my workouts will mostly be spent filling this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331[/ATTACH]

post-330-13567242931555_thumb.jpg

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Thanks Kain!

I just realized that I still had my old YT acct in my sig. I stopped using the email addy it was attached to, and so have stopped using that acct too. The movies will stay up for posterity sake, but I'm using my new acct for future movies. I noticed you subbed me, so I'd suggest subbing this one instead/too - http://www.youtube.com/user/jwywal :)

Getting EXTREMELY stoked for my trip in July. I'm already planning ahead and storyboarding some of the clips I want to get. Going to have no less than 5 cameras out there this time, so I should be able to get some stellar footage from at least a few of them!

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Slow going for my challenge so far. I've been too tied up on my lunch hours to get out and ride, and my evenings have been too tied up with house cleaning and packing to do much else. Diet's been really lax lately too - also as a result of us trying to keep minimal groceries in the fridge. Been far too much snacking and eating out for me to be happy. :( This move can't come soon enough. I can't wait to get back to some semblance of 'normal'.

I haven't even had time to check in on NF as much as I'd like. Work's been nuts and it's generally working hours where I find the most time to get my NF'ing in. I'm still here - plodding away. Just... distracted.

Jason

Follow my adventures!

I don't even want to know where my post was in the wastelands.. probably dead last. It's been 3 weeks since i updated here!

Been very busy packing, moving, reno-ing and unpacking. Averaged around 4hrs of sleep a night in the last week and a bit, have been eating like crap the past month (as in - paleo? what's that?), and haven't worked out at all (except for the whole moving thing).

Now that it's all over, and life is uhhh. normal? again, I can start focusing on myself again as well. An awesome benefit to the move is that I'm now close enough to ride or walk to work - so hurray! forced fitness. I plan on parking the green beast in the garage to do a full restoration on it, and get to work via self-propelled means in the meantime. Today I walked to work and it took me 38 minutes.

Grocery shopping asap to stock our new fridge and pantry and time to get back to livin' la vida healthy!

Oh and, despite all the completely unhealthy living (as in - surviving on caffeine, pizza and burgers) I gained a bunch of weight, but lost more, giving me a net loss of 2lbs after all the hard work we put in moving and cleaning out our new backyard. Hard labour for the win!

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines