burrito-unicorn: Summer Challenge

Hey all,

This is my first NF challenge, so apologies if I'm not doing this correctly.

Anyways, here are my goals:

• Run 10k Race without stopping (STA +5) Anyone else here use the Zombies, Run! app? Makes long runs so much more fun! I've been building up my running steadily over the last two years, but am finally making steps to longer races. 10k here I come! I'm grading this one on a pass/fail basis as I either successfully run the 10k I registered for on 7/4 or I don't. 
  • Strength train 2 x week (STR +3) I've got the cardio down, but would love to build up my strength as well. My goal is to get two good bodyweight workouts in each week in addition to my 10k training. A: 12-10 workouts B: 8-9 workouts C: 6-7 workouts D: less than six workouts.
  • No eating after 9pm (CON +2 CHA +1) I do well with my diet overall, but fall off the wagon at night. There's no reason I need to eat that late, and it cuts out a lot of my junk carbs when I just say, "No, the kitchen is closed." A: 1- 3 cheat days B: 3-5 cheat days F: 5+ cheat days
  • Work out a budget for the summer time (WIS +4) Summer is the slow season in my work, and I've been a little too free with my finances lately. Time to get the big girl panties on and work that stuff out. This one is also pass/fail. I either do it or I don't. 

To keep myself accountable I'm keeping workout logs on evernote and with my little running widgets. I've got my support system in place and I'm ready to get things done!

Scout: Level 1 (STR)2 (DEX)2 (STA)3 (CON)2 (WIS)3 (CHA)3

My first six-week challenge! | My Zombies, Run! Profile |

Great goals and welcome to the Scouts!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Yep, Grizzly, walking part of the 10k would make that a fail. 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Day three and things are going well. I have not broken my 'no food after 9pm' rule once. I think having the accountability of the challenge makes it a lot easier to stick to that one. We'll see what happens once the weekend hits though. No strength training in as of yet this week, but I did a 3 mi run on Monday and a long, slow 6 mi run today. I'm in good shape for that 10k already. =) I've also planned out some preliminary budget stuff. It really does make me feel like I'm taking my adulting to a whole new level. In a good way. 

Good luck to everyone else out there!

Week One Roundup:

• Definitely on track to hit goal #1. Two good runs in this week, one at an all-time distance of just over 6 miles. Other than that I hit the cross-training hard and got two challenging (for me) bike rides in at a total of 26 miles.
  • Didn't do so well with the strength training this week, as I only got one workout in. It was a hard-core ass-kicking workout since I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get another one in. Doesn't change the fact that I missed one, but I'm grading myself in terms of workouts completed for the whole challenge, so I'll make it up this week. It's a good time for it, since it doesn't look like my schedule is going to allow too much time for getting out on the road the next several days. 1/12 workouts complete
  • One cheat day. Went out to have drinks and explore downtown with the boyfriend. We got a little tipsy and had to make a late-night food cart stop on the way home. Well worth it, I say.
  • Mission Accomplished! Started using Mint and came up with a workable (but spartan) budget to get me through till August. I feel a lot better about life having done this, and I think I may try to further this goal next challenge. Since I got it out of the way so quickly I'm tempted to expand upon it, but also hesitant to put too much on my plate right now. There's a lot of stress in my personal life, and I don't want to overwhelm myself. 

Hope my other rebels are off to a great start as well! Can't wait to hear how everyone did this week.  :rolleyes-new:

AWESOME first week, Burrito Unicorn! I've been using Mint.com since last September and it's helped SO MUCH with motivating me to pay off chunks of my credit card debt each month. I find I have to tweak my budget every now and then (saving $ or paying down debt seems remarkable close to dieting and losing weight sometimes) and just like a diet or fitness regimen, I've learned that you have to emphasize a REALISTIC and SUSTAINABLE budget.

As for personal life stress, whew, I hear ya! You saw my post about work schedules and relationship strain. Just remember to control what you can control, and not worry too much about things outside your control. Keep up the good work!!

:welcoming:

"Let's get down to business...to defeat...the Huns!

Did they send me daughters...when they asked...for sons?"

current challenge

first challenge

Not super related to the challenge, but seemed like the most appropriate place for this rant, so here goes:

I am utterly frustrated with myself and my training right now. Back-to-back bike rides on the new road bike tweaked my right knee and hip flexor quite a bit so I've spent the past two days in recovery mode trying to troubleshoot the problem. My bf is super-bikey and is trying to be supportive, but at the same time is pushing me quite a bit. Now, I appreciate a good challenge just as much as the next person, but cycling is still super new to me. I know next to nothing about it. So when he's cresting a hill, I'm still at the bottom like..."wait, which way am I supposed to shift this thing?" It's frustrating to ride with him and spend most of my time trying to catch up, no matter how much he hangs back. I want to work up to longer rides, and he's pushing me to try for a metric century at the end of August. Thinking about training for that AND staying on top of my 10k goal...it just seems impossible. I love cycling, and I want it to be a fun thing that we can do together, but I'm not sure that's possible right now. Maybe this bike noob just needs to go at it alone for a little while?

It seriously makes me want to cry thinking about it. Athletic pursuits have always been rife with conflict for me. I was a fat kid all through high school and didn't really lose weight until college. I never wanted to be outside or exercise. Sometimes when I'm trying to push through something really hard all those old demons come back singing the "you're not good enough song" and I have to kill them all over again. I guess I just need a good 'win' this week. I really want to get out and have a good run where I leave it all out, but I'm worried about that knee. 

Also, Father's Day is Sunday. It's the worst day of the year for me. For a lot of reasons I won't get into, I had to leave my dad. It's for the better, to be sure, but I still miss him and wish that things were different. 

Just down on myself and lacking motivation this week. Hope everyone else is doing better!

Burrito Unicorn! your unicorn tears are turning into burritos!

I'm actually subscribed to your topic so felt I had to respond IMMEDIATELY. In college I was an injured runner that transitioned to being on the cycling team and then later, triathlon. Most of my cycling teammates were all guys, and they were all faster and more experienced. I was a bit terrified of riding with anybody else in my first few months, and felt so much better training solo until I was more comfortable. I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a kid, and I didn't remember it having gears. I can definitely relate to figuring out the gearshift things!

Even after all my years of biking since then, I've noticed there are still different styles of cycling depending on how strong you are. Some tend to mash bigger gears at a lower cadence, which is great if you are strong, and other like to spin a higher cadence with lower gears. Going uphill you definitely want to spin more in a lower gear. I suspect you may have tweaked the knee from going too hard while still learning about the gearing. The road bike position is also probably different than what you're used to and you may be using new muscles.

Take some deep breaths and then just put your foot down to the boyfriend that you don't want to push the cycling thing too quickly or it won't be fun for you any more. He should know not to scare you away like that! You need to learn to embrace and love cycling on your own timeline. One thought--does he have like a really shitty heavy bike that will slow him down a bunch so you can ride together? I definitely support the idea of riding by yourself for a while! I always found it was hard to ride with faster guys and not feel discouraged and feel slow or "not good enough". I have my own "not good enough" demons in my head too!

Be patient as you figure out the knee thing, work on your other goals if you can! Upper body strength training?? You can do this! :)

current challenge

first challenge

Oh Mulan! Now we can feast on the tasty burrito tears! I think you're right about the knee: We did some hill climbs on Sunday and I ended up stuck about 250' from the top of the steepest hill mashing it hard in waaaayyyy harder of a gear than I intended. Seems like the learning curve on cycling is pretty steep...

Seriously though, thank you! Haven't had a chance to really talk with the bf yet, but have broached the idea of handicapping him on any future rides. He seemed receptive and I think he's realized he was pushing too hard, too fast. He's just excited about the whole thing. And I am too, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. (Which is something that I'm great at, and has contributed to past fitness failures. Now I'm all about slow and steady.)

Taking a few days off the bike to refocus on my goals here. So today I did a nice, hard run on some hill repeats and then to top it off I came home and did an upper body strength workout. The good news is that my knee seems to have calmed down and decided to stop hating me. Thank you knee! We need you!

Tomorrow's plan is to do a good core workout, hit an appointment downtown, and then sneak in a run along the waterfront. I don't even care if the weather's crappy, running in the rain makes me feel invincible.

No waterfront run today, but I got an early 4.5 mi bike ride in. I decided I wanted to see how this whole "going-it-alone" thing would feel. The verdict? Going it alone took all the pressure off, and I think getting some quality training time in alone is going to do wonders for my confidence. Some of this technical gearing/pedaling/bike talk stuff was actually starting to make sense. I also dropped my saddle by less than 1/4". I don't know, I just had it in my head that would be the sweet spot. Felt like goldilocks this morning, but we'll see if that holds up on longer rides. Decided to make up for missing the downtown run by getting a good core workout in (That's 2 already this week!) Now it's time to eat something healthy and get ready for my sexy date tonight!

so glad you feel better! It's really good to just practice the gear shifting until it becomes second nature. And hear, hear! about going at it alone for the boost in confidence. Even when I feel like I'm out of shape and getting back into it, I definitely prefer to train on my own until I'm ready to join back up on group rides or runs.

current challenge

first challenge

Hi, I was just skimming through nerd fitness looking for some cyclists (or at least bike riders).

I have been convinced to go on a cyclilng holiday and I have about three months left to get cycle fit.

I thought I'd add support to you beginning cycling.  I definately like to train solo when I am working on a new skill.  I really concentrated on high candance riding for a six week challenge, and it has really helped me.  I was told to pick a lower gear so I had to pedal so fast it was almost uncomfortable,  This did really help, now I pedal a lot faster and I'm not afraid to use the lower gears.  I also practice standing in the pedals to get up a short hill. 

You do sound quite fit so I suspect once you get your bike confidence you will probably benefit from tagging along as the slowest rider in a quicker group.  It is kind of uncomfortable (in the head space) but I'm told it is the best way to get your speed up.  Cyclists are always willing to give you some advice, so when you are comfortable with what you are doing, get involved with a group and be prepared to go on a learning curve.

I think in the end it is a matter of doing what is comfortable for you and then push yourself a little more.

Good luck

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Hey Skywalker, thanks for the cycling encouragement. I've also been keeping my eye out for other cyclists here, and I really appreciate your support. So far I've been taking it a little more slowly and trying to just really take it one skill at a time. The biggest challenge has been tempering my excitement! I think part of my issue might also be that I still haven't transitioned to clipless pedals. The bf tells me it's the difference that makes it. I remain skeptical.

To update everyone on Week Two:

It's going great! I did six miles on my long run this Saturday and felt like I could have easily done another mile by the time I finished, so I'm definitely on track to demolish my 10k goal. Been taking extra time to stretch and foam roll afterwards to ward off any injuries and take care of the tweaked knee. It's much better now, but I still feel some muscle strain in that calf. Thinking about trying KT Tape for it. A friend of mine swears by it, but it seems kind of expensive...

I got two strength training sessions in this week which puts me at 3/12. Still have one to make up.

I didn't eat after 9pm any days this week. Closing the kitchen is getting easier and easier. Although I do admit, I had one day where I really had to work to keep myself from going after a late-night snack. I have purposely been avoiding the scale, but I'm starting to notice some changes in my body already. I seem less "puffy," although that may be a result of the serious tan I'm starting to work up, what with all the being outside cycling and running.

Decided to let the budget goal sit and qualify as a pass. My life is too crazy right now to add anything else to my plate. I think I will expand upon this goal in future challenges though. =)

Hope everyone else had a great week!

I hibernate after dinner to take myself away from the kitchen.  My bedroom/study is upstairs and once I'm up the stairs I have no inclination to go all the way down stairs for food!

Well done on your goals, and sometimes it is necessary to 'drop' one to concentrate on the others.

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

phew, is it just me, or is week three flying by?

I've been hitting it hard this week. Here's a recap of my workouts:

6/17: Active Recovery Run. 2.7 easy miles (I *may* have partied a little too hard during Pride. Whatever. Worth it.)

6/18: 9.5 mi solo bike ride. Had an awesome time. This bike feels better and better each time I get on it. Even had my first encounter with some random douchebaggy road rage. Gets your adrenaline going, that does.

6/19: Upper Body Workout. This was a good workout because I realized that I am not pushing this as hard as I could. Notes for next time

6/20: INSANE Low body/Core workout. My ex and I decided to get a good workout in before he headed off home for the weekend and I had forgotten how much just having a workout buddy can push you to do more. We hit it hard for about an hour total. 

6/21: just about 10 mi bike ride with my boyfriend. He was handicapped by riding a 45lb monster hybrid complete with racks, fenders ...and aerobars? I don't get it, but it's not my bike. 

I have plans for a long run tomorrow and an easy ride on Sunday. Depending on how I feel after the run tomorrow I'll make up my extra strength workout. Then I think Monday will be a well-deserved rest day. The 10k is less than two weeks away! Eeee! I'm already excited!

I think the solo bike rides have been helping a lot with my confidence. The bike is starting to feel a lot more natural and I can settle into the pain of a good climb without being totally miserable. Gearing makes a lot more sense to me, and I'm not having to think about it as much. I have even gotten a tiny bit faster. Handicapping the boyfriend for our rides IS THE BEST IDEA EVER (thanks Mulan!) I had no problems keeping pace today, and he even let me lead some which also helped. Still...I can't help but look forward to the day that he has to get back on his road bike because he can't keep up with me on the hybrid. Yeah, that'll be awesome.  :pride:

In the meantime...thinking about signing up for a metric century the end of August? Looks like a pretty easy route except for one major climb. The boyfriend said he would ride it with me at my pace, so ...I don't know. It'd give me just about two months to get ready. I'm not sure that's enough, but then again, I'm not a doctor and only barely a cyclist..

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines