Perferred Platform

I'm mostly a PC (well, "pc"-I play mostly on a Mac). I just haven't gotten into consoles. I have a PS2 and a Wii, but I play them infrequently. I've fought getting an Xbox, but I have quite a few friends with them, and I have to admit, MS has developed a pretty nice console.

BTW, when I saw this, my mind instantly went to OS, not game platform ;)

I did wow on pc, but I play MW2 on 360. I like that my desire to not spend craptons of cash on my pc doesn't put me at a disadvantage. I could see myself getting a Wii for parties and stuff, but that's about it.

And in the other sense, I have a PC at home, my old iBook G4, and my work iBook. My entire office has been Mac since they picked it out in the early 80's. I've also dabbled in Ubuntu, but not much beyond the "power user" level.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I forgot to mention...I do a fair amount of casual gaming on my iphone. I have ten pages of apps, 2.5 of which are non-games. It's a great little portable gaming machine.

re OSs: I generally prefer Macs when I'm on my own time, but I support Solaris, Macs, Windows (NT - 7), RHEL, Debian, BSD, and Ubuntu at work. I'm generally pretty platform agnostic at this point-they all have good points, and they all have "features" that make me want to tear my hair out =P

Haha, my only problem with being platform-agnostic is switching too much within a day. I try to hit the "all windows" hotbutton on my pc, look for the start button on my mac, etc...

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I've never been into PC gaming for some reason. I have dabbled a little bit in Lord of the Rings Online, but that was more to do with LOTRO than actual online gaming. And I did love it, but online games aren't for me. So I do the console thing.

Currently I have the Wii and XBox 360. The Wii doesn't get used too often. Pretty much only when Nintendo releases one of their own IPs (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc).

If Final Fantasy 13 didn't come out on the XBox I probably would have a PS3 by now. FFX was the only reason I bought a PS2. Never really liked PS 1 or 2 beyond the FF games, so I'm glad I don't have to shell out the $ for a PS3.

In the past I have owned pretty well everything Nintendo has put out. I didn't update my Gameboy as the new ones came out, but I was one of the few with a Virtual Boy, so I've tried them all. I had the PS 1 and 2 as well, but like I said, not much beyond the Final Fantasy series

Haha, my only problem with being platform-agnostic is switching too much within a day. I try to hit the "all windows" hotbutton on my pc, look for the start button on my mac, etc...

I do that all the time. Forget where the control key is on a Solaris vs. a PC keyboard, or mix up where the command key is on a Apple vs PC keyboard.

Maybe I just need to go with all PC keyboards, that might help...

Oh man, bad things can happen when you think you're hitting Cmd+Home on a PC... Like going back a page in your browser and losing a whole forum post...

It's even better because my iBook is OSx10.4 PPC, so I can't load native OO.o on it, and have to use the old X11 version. I then have to remember to hit Ctrl on the Mac KB for that, but Cmd on the MacBook, and Ctrl in the other place on the PC...

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I prefer PC gaming for 3 reasons.

Multi-tasking. I can have 1 machine do it all. The consoles are starting to add a bit more with streaming Netflix, etc, but with my PC I can play any game and then do my taxes.

Control-scheme. There's not enough finesse in the multi-joystick controllers. The console games offer crutches for this with assisted aim, quick turn buttons, or even AI changes like in L4D where rear attacks by the zombies aren't as deadly. Give me a mouse and keyboard, please, and leave the aiming to me.

User-mods. Max Payne is one of the greatest games of all-time. One big reason for this was mods like Kenneth Yeung's Kung Fu. I just played through the L4D1 No Mercy Map in Left 4 Dead 2 with all of the new tactics, weapons, and enemy AI...swamp men in the sewers, construction workers in the hospital, etc. I also loved being able to tweak the settings in Grand Theft Auto Vice City, plus save replays of all the craziest stunts.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

See, I'm one of the only people I know of who really prefers the controller vs the keyboard. Most of my friends just "settle" on it.

To me, the joystick feels like I'm moving around the player's head.

I've played TFC, TF2, HL1, Portal on PC, and I'll admit it gives you a bit finer control. It just doesn't feel as natural to me now.

Haha, the only thing I use my PC for is downloading torrents to watch on my Xbox, and web browsing. I think that's mainly because my work laptop is here too, and it's often times easier to pull that out than boot this up.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Achievements:

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper