Succulent Adventures

Hello! I am fairlybethy, and I am looking forward to this group! I called it succulent adventures because succulence is being full of life, and I think life should be full and adventurous. That is what I am continuing to work on as well. 

My goals for this challenge are

1 to write a letter to myself twice a week

This is so I can keep in touch with myself throughout the adventures whether they are exciting or saddening

2 to dance twice a week

It is my chosen method of exercise and is a good stress relief

3 to learn one french word every day.

This is because I am not good at sitting down and learning things, and instead wait for when I feel like it but then something else always comes along!

Glad to be starting up! looking for lots of fun along the way!

fairlybethy

Hey!  I'll join your group!  I am firmly in the "Life is to be enjoyed" camp.

My goals are:

1.  Track all food intake

This helps keep me honest.  If someone finds my journal (valid concern, because I lose crap everywhere), I want them to see healthy eating patterns, not junk food

2.  Complete the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit 3x as written

3.  Clean house for at least 20 min. per day

Good luck, fairlybethy...let's do this!  :D

Hey fairlybethy and girljen!  I am in on this!  

My goals are as follows:

1.  Ride my bike 3 times per week.

2.  Work on proper pushups.

3.  Make a meal plan weekly.

4.  Work on a budget.

I need to find new ways to enjoy life.  My life has drastically changed in the last week, and it's time I find a new way to experience life.  

As of last Friday, my days mostly consisted of sitting behind my desk, entering orders, answering phones, and finding ways to be happy while I was miserable.  I took voluntary layoff, and thought it would be great.  Apparently, I didn't realize that being at home all day by myself wasn't that great either.  However, I have gotten a lot of cleaning done, and I did take a day to go kayaking which was AMAZING.  

So here I am, looking for a way to connect with people who have great ideas about loving life.  

Fairlybethy, you have a great plan as far as writing a letter to yourself.  I might steal that one for the next challenge (for my life goal).

Good luck, and I hope we can inspire and encourage each other along the way! 

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

This is so exciting already! 

girljen, you should check out the website flylady, she says to set a timer and for however long you have the timer set for, to clean as intensely as you can. Because I don't know about you, but when I clean I am like the dog in the movie UP, clean this...oh maybe go over here and clean that ooh Squirrel! yay!

Also, I got the idea for the letter writing from SARK, along with the succulent part of the name. She is one of those people who has a website, and you can read her books, but she is all about enjoying life, and learning to love yourself. If you get a chance it is fun to look at some of her ideas!

echoesofwonder, I love your name first of all, it makes me happy! :D Also you should check out the flylady site too, she has some meal suggestions, and there is this site that has a free trial for setting up a budget, it is called YNAB, you need a budget. I think the trial is about a month long. Or there is this awesome book called The GOOD book: Get out of debt, and I don't think it covers budget making as much, but it has some fun ways to keep from spending.

Feel free to message me any questions or suggestions.

This is so exciting!

Hey everyone!

Make that three new members :) I just got back from a business trip to Paris, and am catching up. Starting the challenge on the road was somewhat... challenging :)

My goals in brief (and no particular order):

- eat less than 100g carbs every day

- do a single strength exercise ever day (push ups OR lunges OR dumbell rows OR squats

- stretch 10 mins each day

- wear a skirt or dress to work each day

I have an awesome scoring and reward system - details in my own challenge thread.

These last two days in Paris I struggled with all the goals except clothing. If I don't do the exercise first thing in the morning, it just doesn't get done. And food wise... out with colleagues to an Italian restaurant ain't conducive to low carbs. Neither is grabbing food in an airport.

Well, back on the wagon today I hope. Did the exercise part already.

Hey! I'll join your group! I am firmly in the "Life is to be enjoyed" camp.

My goals are:

1. Track all food intake

This helps keep me honest. If someone finds my journal (valid concern, because I lose crap everywhere), I want them to see healthy eating patterns, not junk food

2. Complete the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit 3x as written

3. Clean house for at least 20 min. per day

Good luck, fairlybethy...let's do this! :D

I can totally relate to your fears of that journal being discovered.

20 mins a day cleaning? oh, man, I should probably make that a goal sometime. I've done the fly lady thing before (someone mentioned that already), but I eventually got ticked off at her "my way or the highway" attitude. If you can take the attitude with a pinch of salt there are certainly good ideas to be had over there though.

Echoes, I've been unemployed a couple of times for a couple of reasons and I totally hear what you're saying about sitting at home all day. I found it really important to plan some stuf to do - I did the best writing of my life during those times, and sometimes got a lot of singing done (that one was always tougher). Do you have some kind of project like that going on, or would it all be too much on top of the six week challenge goals?

on the other hand, big life changes like this are just the perfect time to automatically change the "small" stuff too.

Hey everyone!

Make that three new members :) I just got back from a business trip to Paris, and am catching up. Starting the challenge on the road was somewhat... challenging :)

My goals in brief (and no particular order):

- eat less than 100g carbs every day

- do a single strength exercise ever day (push ups OR lunges OR dumbell rows OR squats

- stretch 10 mins each day

- wear a skirt or dress to work each day

I have an awesome scoring and reward system - details in my own challenge thread.

These last two days in Paris I struggled with all the goals except clothing. If I don't do the exercise first thing in the morning, it just doesn't get done. And food wise... out with colleagues to an Italian restaurant ain't conducive to low carbs. Neither is grabbing food in an airport.

Well, back on the wagon today I hope. Did the exercise part already.

O hai!!

It sounds like you're keeping a realistic and healthy attitude.  Business travel is hard, and you had some setbacks, but you know what you need to do (exercise in the morning, score and reward yourself in a way that makes sense to you).  You are going to ROCK this.

Green Eggs, you sound like you're already doing well! Glad to have you, Do you speak French since you were in Paris? I'm still working on my French goals. I've almost forgotten to look up words. probably should choose it first thing in the morning, like you are doing with exercise. 

Hi Everyone!

I think I am the newest to the group and it sounds absolutely perfect! i have been working on "me" for about a year and trying to make every single experience count! I have lost about 30 pounds over the last year and have only another 20 to go but have been on a plateau (is it fair to call it a plateau when you stop trying??) for the last 4 months. I haven't really been committed to kickstarting again and have not been exercising at all. SO here goes:

My goals - 

Goal 1. Complete the beginner body weight routine 18 times (ideally three times a week) with the end goal of being able to complete three circuits without stopping by the end of week 6.

Goal 2. Lose 12 pounds.

I know that actual weight loss goals are not always the best way to guage one's health/fitness levels.   However, that being said, I know my personality and this goal will keep me on a healthy eating plan. As such, when I achieve this goal, I will experience the satisfaction of achieving two goals in one. And it is still very much measurable and achievable :-)

Goal 3. Run 5k without stopping by the end of week 6. 

I used to be able to do this but have not since last year. Hoping I can get back into my running so I can participate as a Scout on the next challenge! 

Almost forgot Goal 4. Put aside in a separate savings account $1500 over the next six weeks. (eeek this is a tough one but hoping it will stop me from going out all the time :-) I feel I need to justify that the savings is really mental health related as it will be applied to my next beach vacation!

Ultimately I aspire to being a Scout/Ranger. Wish me luck!

First week - almost did all my workouts. the beginner circuit kicked my butt on monday. so week 1 - two days of circuit and one day of walking... 

Hi everyone! I'm Ensi, 22 years, Finland. I decided to join this group, because I've never joined one before and I thought this would be a great way to stay accountable and also meet other Nerdfitness members! :)

My goals for this challenge:

#1 No snacking between meals!

This is probably the thing that makes me gain weight... From now on, no snacking between meals!

#2 Track what I eat for the first two weeks

... and keep tracking, if necessary. I need to see what really goes into my mouth.

#3 Exercise four times a week

I'm starting easy: anxiety still affects my body and makes me tired, so I'm not going to break myself like I did last winter. I have bought a season card for a local gym that organises gymnastic exercises, and I'm going to participate in them.

#4 Work on my summer studies 3 hours daily, from Monday to Friday

I have an essay to write, another one needs polishing. There are also a few novels I need to read, but they are fictional and I love reading, so they are no problem. At the moment I'm focusing on my essays: I will finish them by working three hours every day (not during weekends, though, I need my rest!). I'm also trying to reduce stress: accepting that not being perfect is OK is essential here.

And that would be about it :) So far I've done fairly good: I've exerciced 4 times this week and snacking has reduced significantly! I struggle with tracking my food intake, though, I just don't like it. :D But it's necessary, so I'm doing it...

Everyone here seems to have good, realistic goals. Happy to be here :)

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Green Eggs, you sound like you're already doing well! Glad to have you, Do you speak French since you were in Paris? I'm still working on my French goals. I've almost forgotten to look up words. probably should choose it first thing in the morning, like you are doing with exercise.

Hey thanks. Actually, my French is pretty rotten, but I can speak enough for people to appreciate the effort, and then the convo moves forward in English. The conference I was at is an international thing though, so English is the *lingua franca* (I admit, I just giggled at my own linguistic "witticism").

The first thing in the morning thing seems to be the way to go. On the other hand, if I tried to do every good habit I've tried to build first thing in the morning, I'd need an eight-hour morning :)

Veneas, you can make it to scout/ranger! We do need scouts, otherwise we won't know what to expect, and if we need to get a message to another group, well it would take a while. hehe! Just remember, while you keep that goal in mind, live one day at a time, without forgetting the loveliness of each day! I find that I tend to get stuck in the wishfulness of getting there already, then I forget to enjoy the small moments that make up life. Those are very important too. Hmm maybe for my next challenge I should try a thankfullness challenge...hmm I'll have to keep that in mind.

I totally understand about utter complete platteaus. I do that a lot. That's why I'm using dance for my workouts, because I didn't enjoy the gym, and was feeling guilty not going, but didn't want to go! That's kind of why I am in Adventurer, because I don't know what to put myself as, plus I have begun. 

Ensi, I think it's great that you know your limits and not to push yourself too much. Maybe you can think of some fun game to play with yourself to help cut back on snacking. Something more fun than the ultimatum NO SNACKS. I know that I get in a fight with myself and go pout, then usually my snacking side wins   :tongue:. Or maybe you can negotiate, if you don't snack, you will have something you really like for supper. I also know that some people instead of having three big meals sometimes make five small meals for the day. For tracking what you eat, maybe it would be easier if you were an investigative reporter or cop. Excuse me Ensi, I am Officer Isne, I have a few questions for you. At 8 am this morning...what did you eat?'  Ensi- Officer, I ate a fourth cup of oatmeal with some milk. Isne- I have a report saying you also had a snack right after the meal. Ensi- No officer, I almost had a yogurt, but I decided not to. Isne- I see. How much water did you have today. Esni- I do not see how this relates to your case officer. Isne- Let me decide that. Answer the question!

HEhe! 

Green eggs- it is helpful then that the 'lingua franca' is English there.  :lemo:  that is ironic. Also if we did everything in the mornings we would have to have eight hour mornings and we wouldn't get most of the things done because by the time we'd reach it, it wouldn't be first thing, and we'd be burnt out  :watermelon:

hehe watermelon. They have funny smiley faces!

Ensi, I think it's great that you know your limits and not to push yourself too much. Maybe you can think of some fun game to play with yourself to help cut back on snacking. Something more fun than the ultimatum NO SNACKS. I know that I get in a fight with myself and go pout, then usually my snacking side wins   :tongue:. Or maybe you can negotiate, if you don't snack, you will have something you really like for supper. I also know that some people instead of having three big meals sometimes make five small meals for the day. For tracking what you eat, maybe it would be easier if you were an investigative reporter or cop. Excuse me Ensi, I am Officer Isne, I have a few questions for you. At 8 am this morning...what did you eat?'  Ensi- Officer, I ate a fourth cup of oatmeal with some milk. Isne- I have a report saying you also had a snack right after the meal. Ensi- No officer, I almost had a yogurt, but I decided not to. Isne- I see. How much water did you have today. Esni- I do not see how this relates to your case officer. Isne- Let me decide that. Answer the question!

HEhe! 

I usually eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack (an apple, something to keep me going until supper), supper and an evening snack before bed. I prefer eating frequent small portions to eating big portions three times a day. Maybe I'll start a switch to paleo during next challenge, that might help me through the afternoon hours without a snack.

And Officer Isne? :DD That's brilliant!! Maybe I'll take a little notebook with me, and whenever I look like a secret agent, I'm actually writing "had a delicious apple". Hmm, yes. I want to be a secret agent. Tracking my eating for the good of the nation.

Moi, j'ai etudiée le francais à l'université pendant un an. J'aimerais parler avec vous en cette ancienne "lingua franca" :D

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Ensi and Bethy - on the subject of snacking...

Way back in my anti-diet days (a long story, but a necessary precursor to finally being able to nudge towards healthy eating), I was taught by a wise group of women to acknowledge that I was wanting a snack, and them to wait five minutes. Either I'd get distracted and not want the snack, or I'd be ruminating over whether I was actually hungry or wanted a snack for other reasons (boredom, comfort, stress...). As I came to recognise that I snacked for reasons other than hunger, I could begin to develop ways to replace the behaviour - call a friend or cuddle a teddy bear for comfort, go out for a walk if stressed, find a creative project or a book if bored. Important however (at least to me at that time): if genuinely hungry, eat. But otherwise look to explore why you snack and other behaviours you can replace snacking with.

Veneas, I am madly impressed by anyone with running goals. I can just never envision running 5k myself. Sounds like you're on the right track, though. Also, it sounds like you've got your own in-built reward from the savings goal - you get a holiday!!! Keep that in mind by posting a picture of your dream destination somewhere handy :)

Ooops sorry fellow group members, only just realised that there should a thread for our group and found this! So a belated introduction from me.

I am 22, and currently studying as a medical student in London. This is the first time that I have taken on a challenge like this, so excited to improve my life but also aware of taking on a lot of changes so a little nervous! I have always been relatively unfit and never gone to the gym regularly, but recently my weight has started to creep up as well and that combined with my mum being diagnosed recently with diabetes has been a bit of a wake up call to try and get in shape before things get out of control! Also as one of my big goals in life is to be a really good doctor, I feel like how can I advise people on healthy living if I am not in shape myself?

So six week challenge go!

My goals are:

1. Go to the gym three times a week. This is a big one for me to commit to!

2. Be able to run 5k by the end of the challenge (intermediate goal 2.5k by week three)

3. Low GI diet (I have already got a diet plan in preparation so just a matter of following through)

4. Life goal: Follow through on these intentions

And can't believe one week has passed out of the six already. I feel like I have made good progess, but sticking to my goals especially going to the gym has been difficult. When I am at the gym working out, I feel ok and sometimes even enjoy it a little! So why is the thought "I do NOT want to go the gym" so firmly embedded in my brain for the rest of the time? Hopefully something that will change over the next few weeks!

Level 4 Ranger

[sTR] 5 [DEX] 5 [sTA] 7 [CON] 8.5 [WIS] 10 [CHA] 8

Current Challenge

Previous challengesFirst challengeSecond Challenge,Third ChallengeFourth Challenge

"Don't waste time on jealousy because sometimes you are ahead and sometimes you are behind, but in the end the

race is long and it's only ever with yourself"

Hi Everyone!

So psyched by completing the first week and from meeting everyone in the group. This is going to be so much easier with all of you!

On the diet and snacking conversation - I have had the most success with eating the 5 small meals. I feel like I tried everything and this worked best for me. I try to alway eat a small breakfast and then a snack/meal every 3 hours or so. It paced me well for the day. It is so hard though! I keep getting sidetracked with fast food during my work day. I work in the fast food industry... 

green eggs - good advice on the pausing when looking for a snack though. I will try it to see if it at least stops me from snacking on rubbish.

fairlybethy and green eggs - thanks for the vote of confidence on my scout ambitions :) Anyone else want to be in the scout business?

I am a bit of a caffeine addict... anyone else find it helps with the diet/exercise? or any experience in trying to cut it out?

First week results have been good for me - lost 2.6 pounds, reduced my BMI by 0.5, completed the circuit workout 3 times and walked 5k. maintaining this pace... eek!

I have failed to save the money I wanted but hope to make up for this next week.... how has everyone else been doing?

Here is to week two!

V

As far as the snacking goes, I have used the 5 minute wait period, but I did something a little different.  In that 5 minutes, I would drink a huge glass of water.  I realized that some of the times that I thought I was hungry, I was really thirsty.  

Also, doing the Whole30, I realized that if I packed enough of the right food, I wasn't hungry for snacks.  In fact, I was full most of the day.  This last week was my first week off of the Whole30, and I realized that I probably need to plan to do it again soon.  It is entirely to easy to come up with reasons I "need" something.  

Veneas, 

As far as saving money goes, I did something along those lines in my last challenge.  I decided to pay off my car early.  I figured out weekly how much I needed to save, and if it was a heavy bill week, then I decided to only partially pay myself.  Better save some than none!  :)

Fairlybethy,

The Officer Inse is pretty funny... but a great idea!  

So, I see that there are like 6 in our group now?  Awesome!  And we are from all over (even better)!

So hey there everyone!  Sorry I have been out of the loop a little bit, I went camping, and so I was off the grid a bit.  :)

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

So, on my scoring system, I got 69% this week - a C, so "could do better", I guess. Basically having a harder time than expected on the food front - especially when other people are around - and a couple of lazy exercise days. On the plus side, I hit my dress/skirt goal 100%, but that was pretty much a no-brainer living out of a (limited) suitcase.

So this week I really need to concentrate on stocking my (currently totally empty) fridge so I don't get tempted by other stuff, and rolling out of bed and starting exercising. Tomorrow though it's going to have to be an evening thing, because I have to catch a train at 5:30 am and I'm not getting up before 5.

How's everyone se done this first week? Sounds like you're plowing forward, Gypsy.

Hey, it's a new week!  Last week went just fine.  I wrote down everything I ate, which made me consider whether or not I really wanted to eat it.  The candy drawer at work no longer exists in my reality.  I got some good workouts in, and I cleaned for more time than I had required myself to clean.

Today is going to be difficult, mostly because it's 95 degrees outside and my house doesn't have A/C...a workout will require a trip to the gym, and I'll have to find time to do that.  >_<   But, I have good food, and my brother is being awesome enough to watch my daughter for a couple hours so I can get some stuff done.

Time to make the best of it! 

You can do it girljen! think about the cool AC at the gym! I often allow myself a treat to motivate myself to do something I don't want to... like I can go to the gym and after stop and treat myself to an iced coffee (with skim milk and splenda lol).

Here is to a new week :)

V

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines