I just finished Zombies, Run 5k. Now what?

Today I had my final workout of the Zombies, Run 5k training program (ran 5k in 31:52, and went a total of 4.29 miles in the 51 minutes of the program). The whole workout was 51 minutes long.  I'm happy to have completed it.  I love the app so hard and keep recommending it to as many people as possible.  It got me excited about running for the first time in just about ever (and I ran track in middle school and high school, and did a sprint triathlon 9 years ago).  I talk it up as much as I can to people online and in real life.

Now that it's done, though, I'm wondering what to do next.  The things that have helped me in the past 9 weeks (I took a week off due to an ankle injury) are:

1. A structured training program.
  2. A structured training program that pushed me, but kept me from overdoing it and never wanting to workout again.
  3. Getting stats to monitor my progress.
  4. Having a supportive online community.  I was getting that through a knitting message board, but have decided to join the Rebellion.
  5. Having a goal to work towards (namely, finishing the program).

I'm running a 5k in mid-July, so that's my next goal. I'd like to reduce my time (under 30 minutes would be great, and if I can beat my estimated time of 28-31 minutes, that would be fantastic).  I'm thinking about following the RunKeeper 5k training program. I have to skip the first 8 or so workouts to finish it before my race, but they look less intense than what I've been doing anyway.

My fitness goals are basically to outrun the zombie hordes (both in the event of a zombie apocalypse and in a Run For Your Lives event in September) and look good naked.  I know I need to work on nutrition, and I'm thinking about starting up some strength training workouts on my non-running days.  I like the Angry Birds workout and am thinking of seeing what level I fall into for each workout.

It seems like a lot of the folks on this board are into paleo, but I just don't think I can do it.  I like my carbs--this also includes craft beer, in moderation.  I've been tracking my food intake in LoseIt, and I have a real problem in eating enough fruits and vegetables.  It doesn't help that my husband and I only seem to go to the grocery store about every 3 or 4 weeks.

Other stuff about me: I just turned 33.  I have a pretty sedentary job, but on work days I probably get about 3.5 miles of walking in between walking to and from train stations and walking my dog.  I'm 5'9" and weigh about 175 pounds (I've lost about 5 pounds since I started running).  I don't put a whole lot of weight (ha ha) in the number on the scale--I've got a large frame for a woman (seriously--my wrist is 7" around.  Thanks peasant forbearers!) and can also put on muscle fairly easily for a woman.  But I'm definately overfat, and that needs to change.  Oh, and I hope to be knocked up soon, so I also want to find a fitness regimen I can stick with even if I'm pregnant.

So, suggestions?  Point me to threads you think would be helpful.  I'm also looking at participating in the next challenge.

• Like 1

Great job on the completion of the 5k trainer. Why not just continue on with the Zombie's Run app proper? The zombie chases will give you solid interval training. And can you go without ever knowing why your chopper was shot down? 23 missions in Season 1, and 60 more in Season two. Lots of fun.

So which Run for Your Lives are you hitting in September? I'm hitting the one in Byron Illinois on Sept 21st, 1:00 wave.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I'm running the one in San Bernardino on September 28 at 9 a.m.!

Sounds like your like me, I build muscle faster than I burn fat. You don't have to do Paleo, I can't afford it and I live with others who wouldn't dare eat it. Just cut things out slowly like sugar, bread, and whatnot.

Have you looked at Ghengisgirl? Here's her website: http://www.bexlife.com/

She has yoga workouts for pregnant women that are really good. You can also do light strength training and light walking.

Great job on the completion of the 5k trainer. Why not just continue on with the Zombie's Run app proper? The zombie chases will give you solid interval training. And can you go without ever knowing why your chopper was shot down? 23 missions in Season 1, and 60 more in Season two. Lots of fun.

So which Run for Your Lives are you hitting in September? I'm hitting the one in Byron Illinois on Sept 21st, 1:00 wave.

What I liked about the 5k trainer was the clearly defined workouts.  The 5k trainer in RunKeeper alternates interval work, runs for specific distances, and runs for specific amounts of time.  I'm planning on double-dipping and doing the regular Zombies, Run app for the latter 2 types of workouts.  I'm still deciding if I want to do the zombie chases--I know I definately will need to do it to prep for the run.  Oh, and I skipped the intro mission, so that will be the first mission I do in the main app.

I'm also doing the run in Byron, in the 11 AM wave.  Do you know anything about the course?  Specifically the topography?  I live in Chicago, and most of my runs are very flat.  So I want to know if I should try to get some hill work in.

I haven't run the course myself as it is at the Byron Motorsports park, and is generally intended for ATVs and motocross. I have spent a lot of time in the nearby Lowden-Miller State Forest Preserve. The Rock River valley, being a prairie river is generally flat terrain. A mix of sandy to rich clay soil. What up downs there are are small rolling hills and a few gullies. Granted it is a Motorsport park so I'm sure there will be some man made up downs.

Here's a video of someone taking a lap at the main motocross track out there

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I've got two runs left in the zombies 5k, so was also wondering on what to do next. Suggestions I got were 1 hour running, couch to 8k and the runkeeper training. Probably i'll go for an 8k training. Also since i've worked up to 5k before and kept having difficulty with that distance since i never did anything over 5k.

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I haven't run the course myself as it is at the Byron Motorsports park, and is generally intended for ATVs and motocross. I have spent a lot of time in the nearby Lowden-Miller State Forest Preserve. The Rock River valley, being a prairie river is generally flat terrain. A mix of sandy to rich clay soil. What up downs there are are small rolling hills and a few gullies. Granted it is a Motorsport park so I'm sure there will be some man made up downs.

Here's a video of someone taking a lap at the main motocross track out there

That's still more of an elevation change than what I've been training for.  Mental note: after race in July, focus on trailrunning with some hills.

I've got two runs left in the zombies 5k, so was also wondering on what to do next. Suggestions I got were 1 hour running, couch to 8k and the runkeeper training. Probably i'll go for an 8k training. Also since i've worked up to 5k before and kept having difficulty with that distance since i never did anything over 5k.

I jumped into the RunKeeper 5k program.  I skipped the first 9 or so workouts.  Today was my first non-Zombies run, and it was an interval workout.  I felt like I was going to puke at the end of it, but apparently that means I was doing it right.

From the ZR! C25K app I went to the ZR! regular app. I turned it on for an hour and turned off zombie chases. After a couple attempts, I was able to do a 5K without stopping using it.  The total mission length is actually about 45 minutes, which gives me 5 min of walking at the start to warm up, and then about 40 min of running which is about what I need for 5K.  

Next week I'm turning the chases back on and plan to really push it for the sprinting periods. One thing I noticed when I did a Terrain obstacle race last year was that anything explosive (like hurdles) *really* took out my wind -- they were the first obstacle and I basically had to walk the rest of the race, which was sad.  I think the zombie sprints will help with that, especially if I push to continue running at a decent pace instead of immediately dropping to a walk afterward.  Plus, in a month or so I'll try without the chases again and see if my overall average speed increased as a result of the sprints.

I'll be running another Terrain 5K obstacle in October, and Run for You Lives in November. My goal is to be able to run the full distance without stopping, even with the obstacles. 

~ Runner 5 ~ :listening_headphone

"Zombie Response Unit: Locate ~ Decapitate ~ Incinerate"

LEVEL 3 RANGERSTR 7 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Twitter | Blog | Pinterest | Instagram | Fitocracy | Zombies, Run! Profile