Challenge # 1 L'irlandaise arrives, late but willing to try

Seems like you're doing great so far--even with the goals that aren't working out exactly, like every day exercise, you're figuring out what actually will work for you to develop habits going forward. I think you're on the right track with the bread thing, too--maybe try allowing one or two planned treat times per week, rather than the weekend, to give yourself more flexibility with similar limits. Or, as was suggested up thread, try focusing on what you *do* eat, making it tough to leave room for the other stuff. I am like you, where eliminating some of these things will just make me do stupid things, so I am working on ways to make sure the treats I do have are worthwhile. I'd definitely have a hard time laying off the bread in France, so I am genuinely impressed that you have done as much as you have!

Keep it up, just one more week!

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

I think you're doing really well :)  Even if you aren't walking every day, you're still walking a good bit, and that's always a good thing.  And bread can be evil...just calling and calling to be eaten...the occasionally wobble on that front isn't too bad, so long as you bounce right back, which you are fully capable of doing :)  Keep it up!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

You lot are really fantastic. Thank you for all the positive feedback and ideas on the eating front. I do need to do a thorough analysis on the old food situation because without the analysis, my conclusion would be that I just eat too much!  I may try and go for an all out processed sugar ban to see what effect it has. That's the nice thing about a 6 week challenge - it's finite!

Prime, the avatar is an actress called Eleanor Bron and I think the photo's from an Oscar Wilde play . Bron's now in her 70s and she's an inspiration to me for how to age gracefully!

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

I would say 3 good grades out of 4 sections is a pretty fan-freaking-tastic job ! Great attitude, and don't worry, the food thing's going to work itself out as long as you stay conscious about it.  Be a bit careful about the all out ban on processed sugar - if you can go for it, all the power to you, but from personal experience I find slowly chipping away at it yields better results for me. Like giving up rice this week, bread 2 weeks late, juices the week after etc etc - I only fear I won't be left with much to eat after I;m done with everything - either that or go to the vegetable aisle daily :P which, I guess is infinitely more preferable....except that I'm a bigger fan of omnoming than making the omnoms. Oh well...the sacrifices for leveling up in life :P

Keep up the good work ! one more week to the finish line and the start of a new adventure !

करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¯à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à¤§à¤¿à¤•à¤¾à¤°à¤¸à¥à¤¤à¥‡ मा फलेषॠकदाचन।

मा करà¥à¤®à¤«à¤²à¤¹à¥‡à¤¤à¥à¤°à¥à¤­à¥‚रà¥à¤®à¤¾ ते सङà¥à¤—ोऽसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤•à¤°à¥à¤®à¤£à¤¿à¥¤

1st challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31073-starbon-being-disciplined/

2nd challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36936-starbon-retraining-and-reinventing/

current challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40100-starbons-4rth-time-around-the-block/

Nice job girl!!! be careful with the all out ban, its like denying yourself completely and that can lead to BBBAAADDDDD  things (like ruining your diet more).  And I don't think its about eating too much, its more about eating the RIGHT things!!

Keep being conscience, you'll be fine!! Your doing great as it is!

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

I second CB3. Not as much as how much you're eating, but more a factor of what you're eating. Your stomach has a limited capacity to hold stuff  -trust in that for portion control. As long as you're eating the right stuff, you can guarantee you'll be dropping them pounds like nobody's business

मा करà¥à¤®à¤«à¤²à¤¹à¥‡à¤¤à¥à¤°à¥à¤­à¥‚रà¥à¤®à¤¾ ते सङà¥à¤—ोऽसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤•à¤°à¥à¤®à¤£à¤¿à¥¤

1st challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31073-starbon-being-disciplined/

2nd challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36936-starbon-retraining-and-reinventing/

current challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40100-starbons-4rth-time-around-the-block/

Thanks folks. I plan to spend some time this weekend sorting out my battleplan, pinpointing out the probable culprits and pitfalls and using my old thinky brain to set strategies in place for those moments when I am confronted with my overactive inner saboteur.

I have a lot of good eating habits now.  A major problem is that when I even let my brain hear the words diet, regime, eating plan part of me just REBELS.  IT's like having a dog that goes berserk when it hears W.A.L.K. being spelled out. So I am going to go with "nutritional choices" (down girl, down) and go to daily obedience class. Right after the big blow-out barbecue planned for SAturday night,..

Argh, forgot the midweek update there.

Workouts? One and a half so far. Had a bad headache yesterday but attempted a work-out, thinking headache might possibly disappear. Have you ever tried to do 30 star jumps very gently,  without moving your head at all? It's not easy and I was whimpering after the first set so I have rescheduled: Friday and Sunday will see the next workouts.

Non negotiable exercise? Hurrah, It's happening. A 30 minute walk yesterday and an hour today.

No bread? A petit pain with bacon strayed across my path yesterday so I snarfed it . Maybe my headache was guilt/sodium induced. Otherwise bread is being avoided.

French? Also a victim to the headache. So 3/4 days. Note to self - give yourself some room for manœuvre on goals. If it doesn't happen one day out of seven, it's not a failure.

So there you go. I'm off to try for my wisdom point on this week's mini challenge. Keep on trucking peeps!

Nice work, attempting to carry on even with the headache :)  I've never done star jumps, but I've tried to do other things (playing violin with a tension headache is a really bad idea...) and I was cringing just reading that.  I do not blame you for rescheduling your workout, or your French.  And good for you on the walks!  Keep it up, you're finishing strong!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Doing anything except holding your head during a headache is a pain :/ Sowwwiee . I hope it's past and done with !!

In other news, good job on getting down the mentality for allowing for manoueverability around your goals. Too often we have to be rigid about our goals, and then life throws a curve and BAM you haven't done what you should be doing cus you were doing something else. Allowing for that and not fussing over it is a major sign of leveling up ! 

And I think you'd do good with the shneaky shneaky mentality of just not thinking about the stuff you're not supposed to eat. I mean if you're told to not think about a purple elephant, what do you think about immediately ? a purple elephant ! so just forget about it and go about establishing new routines ! new routines become old habits and old habits become strangers...to butcher and paraphrase a popular saying :P

I would say 3 good grades out of 4 sections is a pretty fan-freaking-tastic job ! Great attitude, and don't worry, the food thing's going to work itself out as long as you stay conscious about it.  Be a bit careful about the all out ban on processed sugar - if you can go for it, all the power to you, but from personal experience I find slowly chipping away at it yields better results for me. Like giving up rice this week, bread 2 weeks late, juices the week after etc etc - I only fear I won't be left with much to eat after I;m done with everything - either that or go to the vegetable aisle daily :tongue: which, I guess is infinitely more preferable....except that I'm a bigger fan of omnoming than making the omnoms. Oh well...the sacrifices for leveling up in life :tongue:

Keep up the good work ! one more week to the finish line and the start of a new adventure !

It's funny because I'm exactly the opposite. The only way for me to quit things is to go cold turkey... otherwise, I drive myself crazy with crushing desire. Somehow, saying "No" to myself is easier than saying "yes, but..."

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Argh, forgot the midweek update there.

Workouts? One and a half so far. Had a bad headache yesterday but attempted a work-out, thinking headache might possibly disappear. Have you ever tried to do 30 star jumps very gently,  without moving your head at all? It's not easy and I was whimpering after the first set so I have rescheduled: Friday and Sunday will see the next workouts.

Non negotiable exercise? Hurrah, It's happening. A 30 minute walk yesterday and an hour today.

No bread? A petit pain with bacon strayed across my path yesterday so I snarfed it . Maybe my headache was guilt/sodium induced. Otherwise bread is being avoided.

French? Also a victim to the headache. So 3/4 days. Note to self - give yourself some room for manœuvre on goals. If it doesn't happen one day out of seven, it's not a failure.

So there you go. I'm off to try for my wisdom point on this week's mini challenge. Keep on trucking peeps!

Are you gluten sensitive? Is it possible that you gluten'd yourself, causing the headache? I get wild and crazy headaches when I snarf bread, even if it is topped with delicious bacon.

I am imagining jumping while not moving the head, and it's kind of funny. It might take some grace and skill. If you liked that, you might belong in the assassin guild...

Glad to hear the walking happened! Are you seeing anything nice on your walks?

Questions to the universe this Monday evening.

1. Will I ever be able to lower my chest anywhere near the floor in a push up? I'm thinking that I'll need wrist replacements or a severe talking to about my technique because my form sucks AND blows. I'm almost frightened to try the sets. I DO them, usually folding to the knees on the floor variation in the second or third set.  I've surfed and surfed and surfed to find correct arm/ hand position... I'm still not convinced

Am quoting myself here from a couple of weeks back. I've just managed to do 10 full push-ups in a row. I'd actually stopped trying them and reverted t knee position push-ups, focusing on my hand position and what was happening in my back muscles as I did them. Then this evening, on the last set, I thought "lets just see where I am" And they were FINE!!!

I am SO chuffed and SO grateful for the support from you guys because you told me it would happen and to just keep trying. THANK YOU!!!!!

Are you gluten sensitive? Is it possible that you gluten'd yourself, causing the headache? I get wild and crazy headaches when I snarf bread, even if it is topped with delicious bacon.

I am imagining jumping while not moving the head, and it's kind of funny. It might take some grace and skill. If you liked that, you might belong in the assassin guild...

Glad to hear the walking happened! Are you seeing anything nice on your walks?

Prime, I want to thank you too for your lovely posts about food sensitivity. I'm not sure about the gluten because there were times this year when I avoided it totally but still got all the lovely symptoms that one might associate a gluten intolerance. I can be a stress head and I have a niggling suspicion that it's not so much what I eat but how I eat it that affects the old digestive processes.

But it's all food for thought (excuse the pun) and I might take an experimental approach to try and identify the culprits once and for all.

But it's all food for thought (excuse the pun) and I might take an experimental approach to try and identify the culprits once and for all.

This right here sounds like the mental approach to take if you actually want to try going cold turkey for a while. Tell yourself that it's not that you *can't* eat Food X, it's that you are experimenting with what happens when you don't for a little while. 

As I said before, I'm definitely like you in that I'll tend to rebel against rules and "diets" etc, but I can see this working on me if I decide to start really eliminating stuff (not really feasible right now, but maybe in the fall when I'm not going nuts traveling for work). It's weird how phrasing something like that a little differently could make such a difference.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Am quoting myself here from a couple of weeks back. I've just managed to do 10 full push-ups in a row. I'd actually stopped trying them and reverted t knee position push-ups, focusing on my hand position and what was happening in my back muscles as I did them. Then this evening, on the last set, I thought "lets just see where I am" And they were FINE!!!

WOOOO HOOOO, congratulations, you are amazing!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!

10 pUSHUPSS !!! toldja you could do it ! see TOLDJA ! ok I'm going to stop sayin I TOLD YOU YOU COULD DO IT ! :P

now onto 10 more ! 

I;m not going to volunteer any food advice since I;m going to absolutely pig out this saturday at a food party (although there;s no processed food, but by my calculations the amount of oil and sugar we;re using to cook said food is pretty much enough to feed all of africa and make them obese. 24 % body fat..long time no see here I come again  !! Hopefully not :nightmare: * fingers crossed* 

Hihihi!

Can't believe how well you've done to do the push-ups, you must be stoked!

As for your headache - are you drinking enough? I get a crushing migraine when I don't drink enough, so I properly have to make sure I continually carry a 2ltr bottle of water around, and make sure I at least finish that in the course of a day.

Keep rockin' it out chick-a-dee!

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

GO YOU!!!  That's awesome!  You deserve to be pretty excited about that :)  I managed 5...once...sometime this year, I hope to do 10.  I will use you as inspiration once again :)

I'm not sure about the gluten because there were times this year when I avoided it totally but still got all the lovely symptoms that one might associate a gluten intolerance. I can be a stress head and I have a niggling suspicion that it's not so much what I eat but how I eat it that affects the old digestive processes.

Being a stress head can definitely cause issues (don't ask me how I know that).  People think I'm gluten intolerant, but I don't think I am.  Is there any discernible pattern for you?  I can't eat heavy cream, that triggers a digestive war very predictably, as do certain store-bought cookies, although I haven't been able to isolate why yet.   I enjoyed your pun :) and agree that the experimental approach may be the best way.  

Either way, WAY TO GO ON THE PUSH UPS!  Okay, I'll stop using caps lock now.  But I figured the occasion warranted a little additional excitement :)

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Fantastic Job on the push ups!!! I'm so excited for you!!! <dance, wiggle, shimmy, booty wiggle, shimmy, dance, dance>

Be careful with stress as it can do all kinds of wacky things to your body....I know you can figure it the culprit...you so smart that way!

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

Thanks for all the lovely support on the push-ups, folks. It was really nice to share the achievement!

Hihihi!

Can't believe how well you've done to do the push-ups, you must be stoked!

As for your headache - are you drinking enough? I get a crushing migraine when I don't drink enough, so I properly have to make sure I continually carry a 2ltr bottle of water around, and make sure I at least finish that in the course of a day.

Keep rockin' it out chick-a-dee!

I'm getting a lot better about water consumption but it could have been. AGain, something to place. I have had very few headaches in the last couple of weeks. Maybe another benefit of regular exercise and the stress-releasing chat with Nerd Fitness peeps!

Okay, last weekly update for this challenge! Wait, I just get Frank Sinatra playing in the background...

Goals Nerdfitness Challenge 1

Continue to do Beginner's bodyweight workout 3 days per week

Done. The last of this week's workouts was this afternoon. Before starting it,I was a bit worried about my knee (see #2) on squats and lunges  but if anything the workout helped. And I did 3 sets of 10 full push-ups. Now they were VERY shallow push-ups and yes, the last two reps in each set were a challenge but there they are.The plank is up to 35 seconds.

Mention: Trés bien.

Overall Grade for this goal? I didn't miss a workout in 6 weeks. I've progressed all but the star jumps. I'm giving myself Felicitations du jury.

Give 20 minutes per day (non negotiable) to exercise – walking or cycling or dancing or WII fit.

I didn't exercise consciously yesterday but I did do 2 and three-quarter hours of non stop housecleaning. I live in an old farmhouse and, while quaint, it has big rooms, old plaster and a lot of places where spiders weave full tablecloth -sized cobwebs if allowed.  I was up and down off chairs like a lilty,  cleaning 3 double windows inside and out, mopping floors and sucking up the oldest uninhabited cobwebs with the hoover;  my right knee was complaining today. The workout seems to have cured it (pause to get off ass and check - yep). Mention: Trés Bien

Overall grade? Hmmm. I think this goal was not well enough thought out. In my haste to join the challenge, I didn't really think about the how and the were and the why and my response was half-assed. I did make an effort to walk outside more. Bien

Stop eating bread except for weekend breakfasts.

I had 30 g of bread last night during the barbecue and stayed away from the bread basket otherwise. It's been an okay week for bread consumption.

Mention: Assez bien.

Overall goal grade is a Bien because I was eating way too much beforehand and with butter and jam or cheese. It's under control and I feel like I can really start to tackle the nutritional aspect in the next challenge.

Revise for the DALF C1 exam. 30 minutes a day either on the CNED website, reading one of the novels on my reading list or attempting an old exam paper. Revised 6 days out of 7. Mention: Trés Bien

My this was boring, apart from the novel reading. However, I'm well on my way to clearing up the useful stuff on the CNED website - I'll spend the next two weeks doing that so that I can have a more inspiring fourth challenge.

Overall Grade: Bien

What a journey these five weeks have been! I'm  really stoked to have kept at it and to have progressed with all of the goals. It's laid down some useful habits too, particularly habit number one. THAT will continue, for sure.

And then there have been the lovely people: Cake Banisher, Nephaisys,Kanjigirl, Starbon, Primeval, CB3 and Snark who  have kept me going with their curiosity and humour. And they're all here at the end too! How COOL is that?

Go you!  You have done a really great job this challenge!  Never once missing a workout is very impressive!  And you have done something almost every day, wether you really think of it as exercise or not.  You've also done a good job avoiding the temptation that is bread.  Why must it be so appetizing???  And I agree, apart from novel reading, your fourth goal was probably not the most stimulating thing to do.  But you did it anyway, so good for you!

Also, there's the added bonus that you've been inspiring people, including me, along the way.  Lots of major win happening in this thread!  I'd give you some big proclamation in French to show how impressed I am, but my French isn't very good, and I don't quite trust google translate...so, feel free to insert one of your choosing here :)

Once again, REALLY GREAT WORK!!!

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

You're a tough grader! But I guess we're all hardest on ourselves. :)

You made a ton of awesome progress, and you've done a great job developing new habits and figuring out what works for you and where you want to go next. And that seems to me to be what the first challenge is about for a lot of us, since there are so many unknowns at the start.

Nice finish! And still so impressed about your push-ups progress, keep it up!!

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines