andithegirl gets awesome

Hi. My name is Andi, and I'm a girl. Thus, andithegirl, which is my gamertag on just about everything. I am new and this is my first challenge.

So, some stats: I am 5'5". I weigh about 156 pounds (down from 173 in April) and have around 35% body fat. I would like to get into a healthy weight range this summer. I'm not too picky about numbers -- but someday I would love to have about 17% body fat and a lot more muscle. However, the thing I really want to get out of this challenge the MOST is just getting into a routine. I want to form some good habits. So, without further ado... my goals:

Goal 1 - Hit the Gym 4x/week (STR 2/STA 2)

Keeping up the motivation to go to the gym is the main reason that I joined here (well, and because I'm a nerd). So this is my primary goal.

A - 23 trips in 6 weeks

B - 20 trips

C - 15 trips

F- <12 trips

Goal 2 - Take at Least One Fitness Class at My Gym Each Week (DEX 3)

My gym is awesome in that it offers many, many free classes. Like >10 per day. Eventually I want to move out of the Adventurer class and into something more exciting. I want to take a variety of classes to figure out what class I want to become.

A - 6 classes in 6 weeks

B - 5 classes

C - 3-4 classes

F - 1 class

Goal 3 - Take My Supplements (CON 3)

I know that I need to gain muscle in order to become the awesome andithegirl that I want to be. So I'm going to up my protein and take BCAAs. However, I am *notoriously* bad about taking supplements. So...

A - Drink (at least) one protein drink and one BCAA drink x30 days

B - x25 days

C - x15 days

F - <10 days

Goal 4 - Write (WIS 5)

I want to start writing. This terrifies me. It doesn't have to be good, but I need to sit my butt in a chair and do it. I want to get to a point where I spend about 2 hours per day writing.

A- Write for 60+ hours.

B -  42 or more hours

C - 20 or more hours

F -  <10 hours

P.S. I stole the basic format for this post from lawdog. Hope you don't mind! It was so organized and... beautiful.

Level 1 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR 1|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 5|CHA 4

Current Challenge:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31345-andithegirl-gets-awesome/

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead! TRUE STORY." -Barney Stinson

"That which does not kill us makes us stranger." -Trevor Goodchild

hey Andithegirl ! welcome to the community :)

seems like you and I have the same sorta goals in maintaining a routine and dropping pounds ! good luck with your challenges and keep us posted ! I;m sure you can rock the heck outta them :)

करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¯à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à¤§à¤¿à¤•à¤¾à¤°à¤¸à¥à¤¤à¥‡ मा फलेषॠकदाचन।

मा करà¥à¤®à¤«à¤²à¤¹à¥‡à¤¤à¥à¤°à¥à¤­à¥‚रà¥à¤®à¤¾ ते सङà¥à¤—ोऽसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤•à¤°à¥à¤®à¤£à¤¿à¥¤

1st challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31073-starbon-being-disciplined/

2nd challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36936-starbon-retraining-and-reinventing/

current challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40100-starbons-4rth-time-around-the-block/

Hey there. Good luck to you too, fellow late starter. For the writing challenge, you might like  "The Artist's Way3 by Julia Cameron . It's a kind of workbook aimed at getting you sitting down and writing without thinking. Have fun!

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

Hi, thanks for the welcome. :)

You know, I've been meaning to read "The Artist's Way" for some time. I bet the library has it. Thanks for the reminder! Have you used it? Did you like it? Right now I'm using "No Plot: No Problem!" and "The 90-Day Novelist" to try to keep me motivated and prevent discouragement.

Things are going well so far. I've been to the gym twice in the past two days. Although I want to make lifting weights/gaining strength as my primary goal, right now I've been using the Zombies 5k app. I've run a 5k before (used the C25K program), and I want to be able to get back to that level of aerobic fitness. The gym has all new weight equipment -- and I have no idea how to use it! But I have an appointment Wednesday morning to be tested and trained on the equipment. So I'll start lifting weights after that.I'm planning on taking a class there tomorrow (still need to pick one out). The supplements have to wait, as I haven't received them in the mail yet. (I counted on that, though, when I set the goals.) I've written a little, but probably only 30 minutes so far. I have discovered that the cafe at my gym would be an excellent place to write!

Current Challenge:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31345-andithegirl-gets-awesome/

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead! TRUE STORY." -Barney Stinson

Ha even more reason to go to the gym. The Artist's Way is okay, again it's about turning up at the desk/page/pc. But looking about a guide that works for you is a good idea too.

Good luck for the induction tomorrow. I've promised myself a reward of finding a free weights trainer if/when I complete this challenge.

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

Great job on your goals!!  that is a lot of writing, I started with 10 minutes a day as a goal back in January and now I write that or more every day!! and Remember posting to the forums counts!

Taking supplements is a hard habit to start. i always had to have them within eye shot every morning or there is no way that I could get them taken every day.  Good luck!

Keep us posted as to how you do! I know you'll rock them goals! 

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

Good luck at the gym, it's always good to get some input on how things work from a pro. Some of the more modern equipment can be intimidating... if not confusing :)

Level 4 Human Scout

STR 7 |  DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Training for my first marathon. Player of WoW, occasionally, but right now, player of Skyrim. Professional web designer/developer.

Current ChallengeBattle Log | MyFitnessPal

I really appreciate all of your responses. Something I love about my gym is that they do a free fitness assessment of you every 3 months and an initial intro (about an hour long) to the equipment. This is the second time I've joined this particular gym, so it's my second intro. Since they updated all of their weight equipment in just the past few months, I'm REALLY glad for the new intro! And since I already know how to use all of the cardio equipment, it'll be nice to just focus on the weights. And you're right about it being confusing, kanjigirl! There is some equipment that looks like a combination of uneven parallel bars/bondage equipment. NO IDEA how to use that or even what it does! (It does look kind of awesome, though.)

Supplements are tricky. I hate taking pills and I hate drinking anything gross. I ordered my supplements off of Amazon because: 1.) the prices are much better, and 2.) I could read reviews of how they taste! 

This is sort-of a second tier writing goal, I suppose. Several years back I made myself start writing regularly -- at first I didn't like writing at all (even though I feel a calling to do it). So I started journalling. Now I journal regularly, so the next step is taking the plunge into actually writing fiction.

I went to the gym today (3/3 days this week!) and took Cardio Kick and Sculpt. OMG did it kick my @$$! I was probably the second youngest person there and most CERTAINLY the most out of shape! Super embarrassing. If the class had been a workout video I would have turned it off 20 minutes in... but it was an hour long class! (The class reminded me of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred... only 3x as long!) It was the hardest workout that I've had in 20 years -- no joke! I felt shaky, nauseous, and light-headed by the end of it.

I am definitely going back next week. :)

As for my other goals, no supplements yet; they should arrive tomorrow and Thursday. However, I bought a Muscle Milk Light at my gym after my workout because I felt pretty ill and I thought it would make me feel a little better. (It did.) Haven't written since Sunday, though. The sudden increase in exercise had made me a bit exhausted. Excuses, excuses. Tomorrow I should have plenty of time to devote to being a gym rat AND writing, though.

So, lessee... I started June 9th and I have gone to the gym 4 times. (3) Zombie 5k workouts and (1) Cardio Kick and Sculpt class. Which means that I am on track for an 'A' for my first two goals. Speaking of the Cardio Kick and Sculpt class... I am *still* (two days later) ridiculously sore. Hobbling from place to place like I'm 80-years-old. I am proud of myself, though, because *despite this* I went and did a Zombie 5k workout today. And I'm pretty sure that I worked out as hard, if not harder, than during my last Zombie 5k workout.

I just received my Jay Robb Vanilla Egg White Protein today and my BCAA powder yesterday. I've had 1 protein shake and 1.5 BCAA drinks. As long as I finish the BCAA drink, that means I'm on target for my supplement goal as well. By the way, the Vanilla Egg White Protein is really good! I normally can't stand mixing protein drinks with water, but I was out of milk this afternoon and decided to try it... and it was good. The taste was excellent, the texture was a little weird (and by that I mean that I prefer the creamier texture of mixing protein powder with milk). But still... I have *never* finished a protein shake that I made with water... until this one. I know Jay Robb's protein powders are a little more expensive than many of the others, but I really think it is worth it.

I spent some time gearing up to write regularly. I did the (over an hour long) Scrivener tutorial. (Scrivener is a special type of word processor.) And then I entered some prose into Scrivener that I had previously had hand-written in my journal. I'm not counting this towards my goal, although I did feel like it helped me gear up for the writing goal. I'm beginning to think that the writing goal that I've set for myself is a little (a LOT?) too ambitious. But you know what? I'm hoping it just keeps building, so I'm not going to change it. I'm going to see how it goes.

So, here's my current tally:

Goal 1 -- 4/23

Goal 2 -- 1/6

Goal 3 -- 1/30

Goal 4 -- .5/60

Kicked it hard at the gym again. AWESOME. (Yes, that's me, encouraging myself like a loser.) :)

I forgot to mention that I did *not* go to my fitness assessment/equipment intro on Wednesday. I was way too sore. In fact, the two days after my Cardio Kick and Sculpt class I slept for 12 hours STRAIGHT each night. However, I did reschedule it for next Tuesday, right BEFORE that crazy class. (Which I intend to conquer like the hell-beast that it is.)

Great work on the goals...especially pushing through the pain/sore muscles to get that Z5K workout in!  I've been told that drinking a fair amount of water, stretching right after, and potassium are good ways to prevent being too sore after a workout.

What kind of writing are you doing?

Ian Fin 8 - Lvl 1 Slow Mutant Rebel

Current Challenge - Attempting the Dark Tower: Part 1
Accountabilibuddies - Browncoats

"I'm an important person you see. I have a tower."  Valentine - "MirrorMask"

Hi ! good job getting out and kicking butt with sore muscles ! IF that's not a win, I don't know what is :)

IMHO, the sore muscles will go away on their own after 3-4 days - atleast it does for me, and the best way (again in my opinion)  to get rid of them , couterintuitive as it may sound, is to excercise more ! Something about the increased blood flow soothes the micro tears and flushes out the hydrogen ions causing the burn. I remember the first time I did weights in the gym I was like - man this is easy peasy - and the next day I was sore in place I didn't even know existed xD Heck even going down the stairs was a challenge lol . I would say the increased amount of sleep is a good indication that you're pushing yourself - just be careful to not push yourself too far :P As with all things in life, moderation is key 

Don't worry about writing here to encourage yourself - I do that all the time. For me the impetus to post something (which is a routine I have planned to stick to) drives me to accomplish all my other goals - afterall it doesn't really feel good to write "ohkay, today was a bad day, didn;t do gym, such a loser " instead of writing " woot woot increased my reps by 5 and weights by 5 lb yeayyyy" . Idk if you'd identify with the sort of weird roundabout encouragement I try and provide to myself, but hey, it works lol. PLUS...here a lot of people are watching, even if they aren't posting. Why not be a positive source of encouragement to them ?

P.S. - If you're interested in lifting free weights , you might want to read 'Starting strength' by Mark Rippetoe as a supplement to the gym intro class you took. It's a good read for beginner and even advanced weightlifters.

Keep rocking them challenges !

मा करà¥à¤®à¤«à¤²à¤¹à¥‡à¤¤à¥à¤°à¥à¤­à¥‚रà¥à¤®à¤¾ ते सङà¥à¤—ोऽसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤•à¤°à¥à¤®à¤£à¤¿à¥¤

1st challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/31073-starbon-being-disciplined/

2nd challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36936-starbon-retraining-and-reinventing/

current challenge - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40100-starbons-4rth-time-around-the-block/

nudge nudge - updates ? I hope you're not positing cus you're too busy kicking butt  ! 

Encouraging yourself doesn't make you a looser especially when you are your own worst enemy when it comes to accomplishing goals!

Kill that class like a beast, then go home and devour a chicken (cooked and roasted with a little lemon butter, yumm!) maybe kill a few broccoli flowerettes!  :highly_amused:   And if you are that sore and plan on doing it again, you might want to look into a post workout drink to help with nourishing your muscle and help with the soreness, (just a suggestion) I recently started and it has helped considerably. 

Starbon: The book is not free, its about free weights, silly!  :playful: but there are a ton of references out there online that are free. 

andithegirl, keep it up! Your doing great!

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

Encouraging yourself doesn't make you a looser especially when you are your own worst enemy when it comes to accomplishing goals!

Kill that class like a beast, then go home and devour a chicken (cooked and roasted with a little lemon butter, yumm!) maybe kill a few broccoli flowerettes!  :highly_amused:   And if you are that sore and plan on doing it again, you might want to look into a post workout drink to help with nourishing your muscle and help with the soreness, (just a suggestion) I recently started and it has helped considerably. 

Starbon: The book is not free, its about free weights, silly!  :playful: but there are a ton of references out there online that are free. 

andithegirl, keep it up! Your doing great!

oopsie..my bad :P

So, here's my current tally:

Goal 1 -- 6/23

Goal 2 -- 2/6

Goal 3 -- 3/30

Goal 4 -- .5/60

Hey, thanks for popping in here and encouraging me to update! Makes me feel all loved.

So today was my fitness assessment. I'll post my stats tomorrow; I'm too lazy to go get the paper right now. Long story short: I'm out of shape and overweight.  Nothing I didn't already know. But I get an equipment orientation on Thursday and we're going to focus on free weights, so I'm excited about that.

There was an hour in-between my fitness assessment and my Cardio Kick and Sculpt class, so I decided to do my Z5K workout. Overall, Z5K is going well. Today was a little tougher than normal, though, because my feet (especially my left foot) kind-of hurt. I wear Vibrams, which I absolutely adore, but the muscles in my feet are definitely taking a bit of a beating right now. Not used to running yet, I guess. In order to not exacerbate the pain I did my runs/walks on a lower speed.

THEN Cardio Kick and Sculpt. I knew doing Z5K *plus* this class might be a little nuts, but I told EVERYONE I KNEW that I was going to go back to this class... so I did. Thankfully, it was already a little easier than last week. I mean, it was still ridiculously hard BUT I didn't feel nauseous or light-headed today. Win!

One of my Cardio Kick and Sculpt classmates was super-nice to me, and she suggested that I stay for Restorative Yoga after CK&S. I didn't have anywhere to be, so I stayed. Restorative Yoga is not a terribly taxing class, she said, and it might help with some of the muscle soreness that I have from CK&S. I liked it. I'm pretty sure I'll do them both from now on. HOWEVER, I am *ridiculously* inflexible, so it was still quite difficult for me. I have the tightest hamstring muscles in the universe -- and not in a good way!

One last thing: I found out the hard way that BCAAs don't agree with me. :( They make my stomach painfully bloated. So from now on my supplements goal will only apply to my protein drinks. I should keep better track of whether I'm consuming enough protein, anyway.

Sorry if this post is rambly. I used up all my brain cells exercising!

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the inflexibility - that's going to go away with regular yoga. For now all that matters is that you're not giving in the the soreness and trying out new stuff !

Okay, some stats with a BONUS selfie!

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 160

Body Fat: 42%

BP: 120/78

Resting Heart Rate: 80 BPM

Push-Up Test: 2 Push-ups

Grip Strength Test: 76 lbs.

VO2 Max: 35.9 ml/kg/min

Measurements:

-Neck: 12

-Upper Chest: 34

-Chest: 34.75

-Arm: 12.5

-Midriff: 36

-Waist: 29

-Hips: 41

-Upper Thigh: 25

-Mid Thigh: 21

-Calf: 15

And this is a picture I took of myself this past week when I mysteriously found a mirror hanging in the tree in my backyard:

7812_10102720873284943_1051356325_n.jpg

O.O you have a grip strength of 79 lb...total or individual hands ? there is a 50% chance you're going to make me hang my head in shame :$

My right hand is 76 lbs. my left hand is 71 lbs. My results said that that was in the normal range, but I have to admit that I don't know anything about grip strength!

Also, ha! I didn't think anyone would actually read my stats. I typed them up and I was like, gah! All these numbers. But I figured I might come back here to keep track of things. :D

gaah...I have almost the same grip strength O.O 

To the weight room !!! lol

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines