what are good educational resources

Right now I dont have money to go to classes. But I want to start to learn as much as I can before training. I am interested in many types and I want to learnas much about them as I can.

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

Do the research to pick what you want to do. Try to stick with a basic style or two of fighting. You have to have something to focus on. You won't be able to teach yourself and get very far. Your best resource is a gym. If its something that you REALLY want to do you will find way to afford the classes. You get what you pay for.

Level 1 Chimera Monk

[sTR:2] [DEX:3] [sTA:2] [CON:2] [WIS:4] [CHA:2]

MK Challenge

"Surely you can't be serious"-"I am serious and don't call me Shirley" :peaceful: 

I heard an old saying once, "a hound who chases two rabbits catches none".  So basically pick a style and get good at it, then get really good at it, then get better before looking at other things.

For the classes, honestly I would try and find places to cut down so you have money for classes. I'm of the opinion that books, videos online, etc are best when used supplementary. Aka use them with the training you are receiving to get better insight.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Save for lessons. When you practice on your own without instruction/supervision it's really easy to learn techniques wrong, and it's almost impossible

to remove any faults when they've been ingrained in your muscle memory.

If you must practice on your own, which I don't recommend, I suggest you only practice the basics: Basic punches, simple defences, etc. Leave the flying dragon death kick for when you can afford instruction!

What would be an good idea is to start plyometric workouts, as they increase your explosive power, which is something that will be instrumental in every martial art.

Good luck!  ;)

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Aaaaaand I found this yesterday: http://wwwin.com/books/files/Kill_or_Get_Killed.pdf

Kill or get killed - Lt. Col. Rex Applegate

Other good books to look at:

Get Tough - Major W.E. Fairbairn

http://judoinfo.com/new/component/docman/doc_download/124-get-tough

And last but not least:

Defendu - Major W.E. Fairbairn

Of which I don't have a link....

While I still stand by my previous statement that nothing can really substitute quality instruction, these books are credible, and if you practice carefully as to not ingrain any faults into your muscle memory, these books can give you a good basis.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein