Stuck in a Rut - help!

The last few days, I just haven't been feeling it anymore. I'm tired of going to the gym. I'm tired of eating healthy food. Really what I want is to sit on my butt all day, eating cheese, and look like a supermodel.

Now, clearly this isn't going to work. But I'm just...stuck. Frustrated. Apathetic. I cook a lot, so there's a lot of variety in my diet, and I change up what I do at the gym constantly - running, zumba, HIIT, weights, heavy lifting...all of the above. I've been at this since last September; I'm really worried I'm burning out and I'm not going to get that motivation and drive back.

So what on earth do I do?

I recently dealt with a burnout myself.  Just take a few days off from exercise. Try to continue eating reasonably well.  Get plenty of rest.  See how you feel after 2-4 days without exercise.  Hopefully you will miss it and will come back to it with a renewed vigor. If not, you may then need do a deeper examination of your core reasons for getting fit in the first place.

I recently dealt with a burnout myself.  Just take a few days off from exercise. Try to continue eating reasonably well.  Get plenty of rest.  See how you feel after 2-4 days without exercise.  Hopefully you will miss it and will come back to it with a renewed vigor. If not, you may then need do a deeper examination of your core reasons for getting fit in the first place.

Yup^

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

I second an exercise break. Then, when your break is ending ask yourself "what do I LOVE to do?" Or "what would I LOVE to try?" And do that. Could be, even w variety, you just aren't enjoying what you are doing. Cool. Change it. Maybe w summer coming you want long walks in the evening or just bike riding. Think about what sounds soooooo good. Don't think about what you "need" or "should" do or what everyone else is doing.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Guest Dirty Deads

I think a complete break is in order. By complete I mean don't even think about fitness for a few days. Just do other things, relax. I bet you'll find yourself missing it before long.

Well, if it is supposed to not throw you off there are really only two options I can think off: First, do a break like everyone else here recommended and see if you can continue easily after that. (obviously taking off more than two weeks max. will be detrimental to your muscles and potentially your motivation) Second would be just to pull through which really depends on how you deal with the situation.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Taking a bit of a break might me a good idea, but I would set a time limit on it.

You said a few days... there's a good chance this will pass. Take a couple of days off and then get back to it, making sure you've got goals you're working towards. If this feeling goes on for a few weeks, then reevaluate. 

Thanks everyone for your advice and support! I think the fact that I was so scared to take a break was proof that I needed it. I'm committing to at least 7 days (through this Wednesday) of no "structured" workouts, but continuing to do things that I find fun indulgences, like hiking and zumba. My diet has been less than perfect, but without bingeing. I'm already thinking about goals for the next 6 week challenge, which I'm seeing as a positive change from this break since I had a really hard time coming up with any goals for this challenge. I'm feeling much less anxious, and excited for a renewed burst of motivation and energy when I hit them gym again :) Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support! I think the fact that I was so scared to take a break was proof that I needed it. I'm committing to at least 7 days (through this Wednesday) of no "structured" workouts, but continuing to do things that I find fun indulgences, like hiking and zumba. My diet has been less than perfect, but without bingeing. I'm already thinking about goals for the next 6 week challenge, which I'm seeing as a positive change from this break since I had a really hard time coming up with any goals for this challenge. I'm feeling much less anxious, and excited for a renewed burst of motivation and energy when I hit them gym again :) Thanks again!

Glad to heat it! Enjoy your break!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173