Food pyramid being replaced with... a pie chart.

meh ... I think paleo might be overrated and grains/legumes/dairy underrated around here, but I could be wrong of course. I tried giving up grains and didn't like how it made me feel, and I wouldn't give up cheese even if doing so added a year to my life, so I decided moderation is my True Path.

That new government plate looks okay to me. It's pretty much what I expected to see, and it's a huge (HUGE) step up from the SAD pyramid. I love that paleo plate though. So simple even a caveman could understand it, indeed. (Still way too much animal for my taste, being that animal is so much denser than plant, but there you go.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I eat Paleo (mostly) and I still have the occasional cheese. I follow it more as a lifestyle and not a SUPER STRICT IF YOU STRAY AWAY YOU'RE DEAD!!!! diet... Noms. I love cheese.

BUT! That Paleo plate totally made my day. Love it.

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

meh ... I think paleo might be overrated and grains/legumes/dairy underrated around here, but I could be wrong of course. I tried giving up grains and didn't like how it made me feel, and I wouldn't give up cheese even if doing so added a year to my life, so I decided moderation is my True Path.

That new government plate looks okay to me. It's pretty much what I expected to see, and it's a huge (HUGE) step up from the SAD pyramid. I love that paleo plate though. So simple even a caveman could understand it, indeed. (Still way too much animal for my taste, being that animal is so much denser than plant, but there you go.)

For the sake of curiosity. How long did you go without grains before slipping?

Time to climb.

Could you expand on the non fermented soy products as poison please?

Well, first the "pro-soy stuff". I am biased, but I prefer all the facts to be out there. http://zenhabits.net/soy/

Why I think it's bad: Soy is a plant based property that imitates estrogen. Which might not be an issue, but soy also lowers testosterone, and a bunch of other stuff, like possibly causing cancer, or leading to infertility.

I'd also suggest reading 'the vegetarian solution' by Lierre Keith. She was a vegetarian, then a vegan (for a total of 20 years) and destroyed her body in the process. She really goes into the science about half-way through. Granted, there's a lot of science behind the nutritional deficiencies caused by veganism, but she talks about soy in detail.

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/soy-playing-poisons

http://huntgatherlove.com/node/579 [refuting the zen habits soy post I linked to above]

I will admit, I don't have an issue with soy in it's fermented state. If you want to have soy sauce, tamari, or miso, go ahead. I even enjoy them. I just don't see soy as a 'protein replacement', like what's being touted for being a vegetarian or vegan.

For the sake of curiosity. How long did you go without grains before slipping?

I don't remember. It was several days, but probably less than a week, and it wasn't a "slip" so much as, "I feel like there's a rock in my stomach and I have no energy, screw this." Perhaps some time I should try it for 30 days, but I wasn't committed to that. Any time I eat a big chunk of protein by itself (steak, fish, eggs, almonds, whatever) and nothing to balance it out, it sits heavily and doesn't give me any fuel. It's like I ate a piece of rubber.

A much lesser problem, but still a problem, is that I don't really like the flavor or texture of animal flesh enough to make it the center of my diet. I mostly eat it in heavily seasoned mixed dishes, and not every day. (The super-fresh stuff that's good enough to eat straight and rare, I usually can't afford. And don't give me that routine about buying half a cow: not gonna happen.) Most days I get my protein from eggs, dairy, fish, or peanut butter, and I feel most satisfied when I mix it with carbs, fat, and fiber-containing plant matter.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

@Glenndingo at one point my doctor told me I should weigh 140 which at that point would have put me around -4% bodyfat - I would have to have lost every ounce of fat as well as some muscle (or bone?) to get into the "normal" range. At that point, I decided most of what 'professionals' told me was probably bunk. Rock on to your goals!

If you take out the grain portion and replace it with a second serving of meat, it looks a lot better.

I was thinking the same thing except with a second serving of fruit. Protein=the majority of calories/produce=the majority of volume and I'm happy. I can't digest unfermented dairy but make the milk kefir and I'm all for it.

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

Well, first the "pro-soy stuff". I am biased, but I prefer all the facts to be out there. http://zenhabits.net/soy/

Why I think it's bad: Soy is a plant based property that imitates estrogen. Which might not be an issue, but soy also lowers testosterone, and a bunch of other stuff, like possibly causing cancer, or leading to infertility.

I'd also suggest reading 'the vegetarian solution' by Lierre Keith. She was a vegetarian, then a vegan (for a total of 20 years) and destroyed her body in the process. She really goes into the science about half-way through. Granted, there's a lot of science behind the nutritional deficiencies caused by veganism, but she talks about soy in detail.

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/soy-playing-poisons

http://huntgatherlove.com/node/579 [refuting the zen habits soy post I linked to above]

I will admit, I don't have an issue with soy in it's fermented state. If you want to have soy sauce, tamari, or miso, go ahead. I even enjoy them. I just don't see soy as a 'protein replacement', like what's being touted for being a vegetarian or vegan.

I grew up with soy as a dairy replacement, getting to drink really awful watered down baby formula at all meals (soy milk was not widely available yet and I was totally dairy-intolerant as a child) while the rest of my family ate all forms of dairy. We ate a lot healthier than the average family, but as adults, I am the only one of three kids who is not obese. The only difference in our diets was that they drank milk and I drank soy. I think the truth about soy lies somewhere in the middle. It's not poison. It's not the magical food of longevity. It has to be used in moderation like anything else. My siblings were gulping down god knows how much bovine growth hormone while I had mega doses of phyto-estrogen. Bovine growth hormone scares me more.

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

FUNNY STORY!

In my Health class today, we were talking about the "importance of grains" in our diet. I raised my hand and told the teacher about the paleo diet. He told me that this was a "fad" diet.

CUE ARGUMENT WARFARE!

My teacher told me that in order to attain perfect health, the ideal diet is a VEGAN diet, as animal products are "poison" to our body.

I had already had dislike of this teacher because he was (VERY) overweight and teaching a HEALTH class.

I told him that grains are like putting a case of tnt into a grinder. Nothing goes well.

He asked me: If we don't eat grains then how do we get our FIBER?

I facepalm'd

My Fitocracy

It's not about looking good anymore, it's about getting stronger

FUNNY STORY!

In my Health class today, we were talking about the "importance of grains" in our diet. I raised my hand and told the teacher about the paleo diet. He told me that this was a "fad" diet.

CUE ARGUMENT WARFARE!

My teacher told me that in order to attain perfect health, the ideal diet is a VEGAN diet, as animal products are "poison" to our body.

I had already had dislike of this teacher because he was (VERY) overweight and teaching a HEALTH class.

I told him that grains are like putting a case of tnt into a grinder. Nothing goes well.

He asked me: If we don't eat grains then how do we get our FIBER?

I facepalm'd

Haha I love fat people who teach health. No matter their credentials if you can't live what you preach then you shouldn't be preaching.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY