Mini-Challenge 2: Scarecrow

Chanda

Welcome to the 2nd week of our Wizard of Oz mini challenges!

Don't forget that we are still walking along the yellow brick road on our way to Emerald City... log your miles here!

Mini-Challenge 2:  Scarecrow (17.Jun to 23.Jun):

Dorothy and Toto reach a cross-roads along the yellow brick road. While Dorothy tries to decide which way to go she hears a voice:

Dorothy: Now which way do we go? 
Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way. 
Dorothy: Who said that?

And thats how Dorothy and Toto meet the Scarecrow. It doesn't take long before they decide that the Scarecrow should also travel to Emerald City to ask the Wizard for a brain.

Without a doubt one of the best ways to sharpen your brain is to meditate.

This week the Druid guild is working together to reach a common goal: A combined total of 24 hours of meditation.

Join us and log your minutes of meditation here: Druids Meditate Together

If you are completely new to meditation, in one of the latest NF blog posts Steve linked to a nice How to Meditate guide at Zen Habits. Check it out! You may need to do more than 2 minutes per day this week if we are to reach our goal. Try doing several 2minute sessions! ;)

Any form/type of meditation is allowed! 

Notes:
  • Members from all Guilds are welcome to join in!
  • Participating Druids who complete all 4 mini-challenges, earn one attribute point (allocate the point based on where you got the most benefit from participating): Dorothy and TotoScarecrowTin Man and Lion.
  • You will have 1 week to complete each mini-challenge.
  • If you have only just decided to do the mini-challenges: you can go back and complete the past week mini-challenge (as long as it does not interfere with you reaching your own goals).
  • Report your participation and completion of the mini-challenge by commenting on this topic!
And most important of all... Have Fun!!!!  :D

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

I'll see your hour and raise you -- ok I'll just aim to "see" your hour.

Since it takes me so long to settle down and relax into it, I'm going to try for 2 sessions of 30 minutes (or 3 of 20 min.)

Maybe those less balance-challenged than I am, could multi-task two mini-challenges at once, with a walking meditation?  (also referred to in Steve's article which Chanda linked to)

http://www.wildmind.org/walking/overview

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

do my lunchtime naps count? if i sit still i fall asleep :( and yes, i can totally fall asleep sitting up.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Guess I can count my shavasana times and the time I spent inverted just trying to get used to being upside down and I let the brain wonder.   I am up to about 7 minutes per inversion before the blood is too much for my head to take.  

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

I keep having to remind myself to meditate, but it was one of my goals on my last challenge.  I am always better for it.  I happen to have a cold this week, with forced inactivity, so more time to contemplate...

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Would guided meditation count, or just general meditation?

All meditation (I'm chiming in a little late, with my guess at the answer, which is based on my observing this forum to be much more supportive and flexible than restrictive and conformity obsessed :)  )

counts

.i never even realized you guys were doing a wizard of oz challenge!! i do have a step counter somewhere. is it too late to use it?

Not too late. Progress is good; perfection is not the goal; and challenges are fun!

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

I am extending this mini challenge another 3 days!!!! Mini-challenge now ends June 26th!

Keep meditating! And dont forget to log your times!

Together we can reach 24 hours! :)

And yes all types of meditation count. 

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Just came back to add:

I am not posting the next mini-challenge until we reach 24hours of meditation. 

Seriously, what kind of Druids are we? Get busy meditating! ;)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I started seriously meditating after an author I trust said it was the one easy thing that would make a huge difference in anyone's life.  I do it first thing in the morning before my brain wakes up.  I listen to  a guided meditation or just count my breaths.  I can't go longer than 15 minutes, and I'm sure even just 5 minutes in the morning would make a difference.  My goal is not to silence my mind, but to have only one stream of thought instead of many.  The deep breathing also lowers stress, as I'm sure all our yoga practitioners already know.

Here is an article on 20 research-based benefits from mindfulness meditation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/mindfulness-meditation-benefits-health_n_3016045.html

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

Hi,

I'm an Adventurer, aspiring to be half carnivorous Druid, half Monk. You said any guild could join in on this challenge, and meditation is one of my goals. This week, so far, I've done 9 minutes of meditation on Mon, 9 mins on Tuesday and 33 mins on Thursday, for a total of 51 mins. Feel free to count it toward your 24 hours! If you want to know what I'm doing, I wrote a little bit about it on Day 7Day 11 and Day 18. Looking forward to working with you guys in future challenges!

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Awesome! Not only did we reach our goal, we did it by the original deadline. At the end of June 23rd we had over 25hours logged.

Special Thank You goes to Sunmage who contributed an hour per day on average.

Well done Druids!

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Reaching 24hours meditation means you now have access to the next mini-challenge:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/31931-mini-challenge-3-tinman/

Enjoy! :)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines