I have been away from the site for a little while now, although thats not to say I have been completely idle. (Gained my green belt in Filipino Martial Arts, completed a couple of 10Ks, working on forming better eating habits.)

I have also been trying to work out why I struggle so much to stick to exercise programs I set myself, (have bunked out of You Are Your Own Gym and Beginner Body Weight Workouts.) I know that my self motivation can be a stumbling block for me, and this is not helped by working out on my own.

A friend at work has lent me the Insanity program, and I have quite a few friends who rave about it. It instantly appeals to me having someone on the screen talking you through it, and having the schedule laid out for you and ticked off each day does good things for the part of my brain in love with planning and making lists!! I have also had a good look at the nutrition guide which comes with it and am going to be following that as closely as I can, about 3,200 calories a day as I am looking to start gaining a bit of healthy weight.

So... Starting in July I am going to be giving this a serious attempt and using this log to document it. I'm not expecting it to be easy, I'm fully expecting to have to work my ass off and make a big self motivation change to my life. The question is, anyone else out there who is looking to start this program? Would love to hook up with a training buddy doing it at the same time who I can email and stay accountable to. Also anyone who has done the program in the past and has comments or tips?

Anyway, I will be back in a couple of weeks to get the party started properly!

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 I DEX: 3 I STA: 3 I CON: 2 I WIS: 3 I CHA: 2

Karma restored

"You have to want it more than you want to continue feeling comfortable, and until you do, you're not going to change a damn thing - no matter how much you lament not being or doing what you 'want'." - Evicious

Monday 8th July - Day 1

Calories eaten: ~3000

Exercise completed: The fit test

Sleep: In bed for half 9, up just before 6.

Wow, this hurt and its only the first day! Most of the exercises in the fit test involve some variant on squats and so my legs and butt were hurting so bad after. I had to take a few breaks while going through this, I thought my fitness was not that bad but my god this is brutal. (and its only day one of 60 *cry*)

Ate more today than I have in a long time and struggled with it as I am not used to that much. Am meant to be on around 3200 but couldnt finish all of my mid afternoon meal. I did notice that as the day went on and I ate more, my muscle soreness got less and less. Hardly hurt at all getting out of bed this morning. This is a big motivation for following the nutrition plan closely if it helps get that much more out of the workouts and start putting on some healthy weight.

So starting figures:

weight: 148 pounds

Height: 5 foot 9

Body fat: calipers say 12% but I am going to go with 14, looking at my body 12 is far too low an estimation

Body measurements: Waist (navel) 33"

Chest 36"

Neck 15"

Right upper arm (unflexed) 10.5"

Left upper arm (unflexed) 10.5"

Right upper leg 20"

Left upper leg 20"

Starting photo: taken, and I will put this up next to my 60 day photo as a comparison once I have finished. I will be taking one once a week for me to track progress though.

Day 1 fit test:

Switch kicks: 29

Power jacks: 32

Power knees: 70

Power jumps: 19

Globe jumps: 6

Suicide jumps: 10

Push up jacks: 14

Low plank obliques: 36

So now I have a starting point to measure my progress against. As I say, will take a progress photo at the end of each week. The fit test is repeated every 2 weeks so at that point will also record weight, measurements and body fat.

Edited to add measurements. My body is actually pretty symmetrical But not happy with the size of my arms. Some work needed there.

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

"You have to want it more than you want to continue feeling comfortable, and until you do, you're not going to change a damn thing - no matter how much you lament not being or doing what you 'want'." - Evicious

Tuesday 9th July - Day 2

Calories eaten: ~3200

Exercise completed: Plyometric cardio circuit

Sleep: In bed for quarter to 10, up quarter past 7.

So I never knew just how much sweat my body was capable of producing up until today! This workout really pushed what I was capable of doing in terms of my cardio, and I had to take a lot more breaks than the guys on the video. But I completed it and had such a good buzz at the end of it. I did this workout in the afternoon and we are currently having a 30 degree heatwave in England so I don't think this helped me much. Will stick to just getting up earlier in the mornings when it is cooler!

My eating was spot on today, and tomorrow I am going to look at adding a pint of milk to my breakfast and dinner to push my calories up by another 600.

Still not suffering with DOMS too bad at all. I'm all jelly once I finish, but a recovery drink after and eating enough is really having an effect. Bring on day 3!

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Wednesday 10th July - Day 3

Calories eaten: ~3600

Exercise completed: Cardio power and resistance. 2 1/2 hours of martial arts in the evening

Sleep: In bed for quarter to 10, up just before 6.

Again a really hard workout. Loads of squats and explosive jumps, which left me struggling to keep up. As with before, I took more breaks than those guys on the video but I know my fitness is nowhere near theirs so I am OK as long as I get to the end of the workout and am still enjoying myself.

Ate all my planned food for today along with 3 pints of milk, left me with virtually no muscle soreness throughout the day. 2 1/2 hours of martial arts in 30 degree heat and an un-air conditioned gym was hell in the evening, but really enjoyable and a new batch of bruises to nurse.

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Thursday 11th July - Day 4

Calories eaten: ~3500

Exercise completed: Cardio recovery

Sleep: In bed for 10, up just before 6.

This was a bit of a less intense workout, but still hard work. Lots of stretches which really worked the muscles, but in a different way to the rest of the workouts so far. This should help with my pretty bad flexibility!

In the evening I went to a friends house for a poker night and so did eat some pizza :( I did however manage to turn down the doughnuts and crisps after, as well as the beers and soft drinks and just stuck to water all night so happy with myself about that! Late night though

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Friday 12th July - Day 5

Calories eaten: ~3800

Exercise completed: Pure cardio

Sleep: In bed for half 11, up for 7.

So a late night due to poker at my friends, meaning I got up later and did my workout in the afternoon. And oh my god what a workout that was. Not quite as intense as some of the moves have been on previous workouts, but it was non stop with no breaks once you were into it. I did however have to take some breaks as I am not as much of a machine as the guys and girls on the video *yet*.

On a separate note, had grilled salmon and asparagus for dinner tonight. Never liked asparagus before and really enjoyed it so thats made me happy as it is so healthy!!

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Saturday 13th July - Day 6

Exercise completed: Plyometric cardio circuit

Sleep: In bed for midnight, up just before 10.

Saturday and a lay in, (till the 30 degree heat forced me to get out of bed!)

So this was a repeat of the second day, and I dont know if it was my imagination but it seemed fractionally easier. Possibly as I already knew the moves and knew what was coming up. Still a sweaty heap on the floor after and still had to take more breaks than the video, but happy I finished it.

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Sunday 14th July - Day 7

Exercise completed: Rest day

Sleep: In bed for half 11, up just before 10.

Week 1 complete!!!!

Really pleased I have managed to stick out the first week, gives me hope that I will be able to finish all 9 weeks of it. I have a chart on the wall next to where I work out and I have been ticking days off as I go, bit of motivation. Also took a photo this evening to continue tracking my progress. Not a massive change (not that I was expecting one mind) but I think I can start to see a little bit of a tightening up of my body.

I went out for dinner with friends tonight for tapas. So lots of meat and fish, although probably not cooked in the healthiest of ways. Stuck to water all night though and turned down desert! So a whole week of drinking nothing but water and milk, not a single sugary soft drink or drop of caffeine has passed my lips. Another milestone.

On with week 2!

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored

Monday 15th July - Day 8

Calories eaten: ~3500

Exercise completed: Cardio power and resistance

Sleep: In bed for half 10, up at 7.

Really enjoyed this workout. Felt just as hard as last weeks, but I actually managed to get a little further into it before I had to take a break. I have started working at a slightly lower pace than the instructors on the videos. My fitness levels are just not the same as theirs and so I'm burning out too quick trying to keep up with them. Still need to take lots of breaks, but I'm improving. Looking at my body, I think it is starting to slowly change as well; at least to my eye. Looking forward to this Sunday when I weigh myself and take measurements to see what changes have occurred.

Karma Stu

Level 1 Human Ranger

Karma restored