A Wild RANGER Appeared! Ranger used muscle up...it missed.

dr3wcifer

Greetings, assassins!

So I'm a Ranger, and we currently have this mini-challenge going on in which we pick one of our goals, find someone from another guild that can help us on our way, and learn from them.

One of my 6WC goals is to do a muscle up. I can do pull ups. I can do dips. I cannot do a muscle up.

Are there any muscle up masters in the House of Assassins?

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Run 30min 4x/wk     |     Stretch 30min 4x/wk

Hi dr3wcifer!

I am by no means a muscle up master, but I can perform them.

More importantly though I only recently 'got them back' (about a year ago) so the memory of the process is still somewhat fresh.

(1) You need an appropriate level of strength

An explosive pull up is of course required. Can you do pull ups from a dead hang then explode with enough power that you can hit your chest to the bar? This is just a very rough guide (and there are many holes with using regular PUs as a measure), but when I 'got my muscle up back' I was up to about 12-15 strict pull ups. A 6WC probably won't allow you a huge improvement in this, but I'm just going to assume you have the required strength and move onto something that you can improve in leaps and bounds during a 6WC.

(2) Technique - aka starting by cheating/kipping/using momentum

Getting your first muscle up doesn't have to be pretty. I assume you don't mind 'cheating' a little? :)

I think the best way to show this is in a 

. Fast forward to 2:30 to get right to what I feel is the most important point for obtaining a momentum/kipping bar muscle up. (The whole video is quite good though - although admittedly there are a multitude of good muscle up tutorials on youtube)

If you swing backwards and forwards, then on your back swing you time your knee/leg raise (and simultaneous explosive pull up) just right (takes a little practice to get the timing) then you will be well on your way to obtaining your first kipping muscle up.... and then you work on raising your strength and minimising your kip.

(3) Disclaimer

There are many different ways to achieve a muscle up. I only described the kipping bar muscle up because that is what I successfully used last year to relearn it.

I've been lurking in Waldo's thread and thoroughly enjoying his muscle up journey and he is using a completely different method: he didn't have much luck with the kip and he is doing a lot of false grip training.

Hell you can also just screw technique, false grip, kip, everything and just focus purely on strength if you want.

Good luck with the muscle up!

Thanks, Yuen. I'm at 11 pull-ups fresh at this point, so I'm not too far off on that. I'll definitely work on a kipping muscle up- I'd be happy with that at this point. My big question now is: what is this false grip you speak of?

Level 1 Avatar

'That's all I've got. It's pretty much my whole identity. Dr3wcifer: the meat and sarcasm guy.'

The Avatar's current 6WC

Worked on it this morning. The kipping didn't do too much because: a) I have the rhythm of a white boy (because I am one) and B) I still don't have enough strength, apparently, to get my hip up to the rings even with the kip. I'll keep working it, though. Probably once or twice a week.

The false grip will take some getting used to, but I can definitely feel how it will come in handy. I ended up working the lat pulldown machine w/ the false grip, and I could do several MUs if only I weighed 100lbs.

Level 1 Avatar

The Avatar's current 6WC

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines