Greater Vancouver Meet Up is Greater Than Your Meet Up

Hi Everyone!

So there were 13 Vancouverites that responded to the Canadian Rebel Thread!

Paradigm, PaladinAlex, Hildagaard, Mina, Keemeers, ttuesday, Trinhinator, DramaticNerd, vmars, mksiemens, MissAmanda, Sicil, and ME! 

​Let's organize a meet up! I suggest a hike somewhere that is accessible to us all. I know most of the Vancouver rebels are scattered around Greater Vancouver. I would really love to do Upper Shannon Falls on the North Shore, but I realize that's a bit out of the way (it's beside The Chief). 

Here's the site I use for finding good hikes:

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/

Here are the trails I am interested in:

1016657_10151460404768231_950590622_n.jp

We can go foraging like real Cavemen/cavewomen!!!

6307_10151455349883231_170236719_n.jpg

And perhaps we can stop off at the Stormcrow Tavern after our hike for refreshments (Vancouver's Hottest Nerd Bar)

http://www.stormcrowtavern.com/

(Never been there but really want to)

What say you?

Let's do this thing!

Love, Cutebug

992961_10151455350563231_317534880_n.jpg

Repping the Rebellion at Minnekhada Park, Coquitlam. 

:strawberry:Hobbit Ranger, Dragon Slayer, Crazy Cat Lady, Beekeeper :strawberry:

Sixth Ranger Challenge

Whoa, clearly I underestimated when I said 5 or 6, or just didn't look back far enough. Could be fun though,

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

Tots! Thanks CuteBug for creating this thread.

Let's introduce ourselves! I'll kick it off...

I'm downtown-ish based, in my late twenties, and the specifics to my challenge are in my signature. I get bored in the time it takes for you to read up to this point, so my focus will be on mixing it up while maintaining the same intensity level. Currently, I'm experimenting with treadmill interval training and tabata-inspired sets. I'm to start incorporating free weights next. I practice yoga a few times a week, and am usually hiking, biking, or kayaking once the sun comes out on a consistent basis. Lookin' forward to meeting you all!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

I'm in Marpole (South Vancouver) but I get mobile on weekends and explore around Tricities/ Maple Ridge/ North Shore/ Chilliwack/ Hope etc to find excellent hiking. 

My current Challenge is all about getting back on track, hiking & walking, and training for my first pull up (which I will be doing in my elementary school playground!)

Sicil, I took a look at your Challenge Thread earlier. Those Tabata exercises are BOSS. Good for you! 

RE: Kayaking - I go see the baby seals every year at Rocky Point Park ;D

547842_10150963892268231_1409011500_n.jp

392194_10150963893848231_954691251_n.jpg

:strawberry:Hobbit Ranger, Dragon Slayer, Crazy Cat Lady, Beekeeper :strawberry:

Sixth Ranger Challenge

Well, I'm a bit farther from vancouver, I'm actually in Coquitlam, though more towards the Burnaby side so at least the sky train and such isn't far.

My challenge details are in my signature as well. My goals are more work focused at the moment, aiming to finish my first few games, though it's leading into launching my own company as well(though thats not one of the challenge goals). My fitness goals aren't anything too special, but I'm following the spartan warrior workout, so they're going pretty good.

Current Attributes:

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Well, I'm a bit farther from vancouver, I'm actually in Coquitlam, though more towards the Burnaby side so at least the sky train and such isn't far.

My challenge details are in my signature as well. My goals are more work focused at the moment, aiming to finish my first few games, though it's leading into launching my own company as well(though thats not one of the challenge goals). My fitness goals aren't anything too special, but I'm following the spartan warrior workout, so they're going pretty good.

Favourite hikes in coquitlam? I've always heard good things but haven't been out there very much!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Favourite hikes in coquitlam? I've always heard good things but haven't been out there very much!

Minnekhada is in Coquitlam (see above). http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/minnekhada-regional-park/

I'd like to go to Crystal Falls. It's 7km. http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/crystal-falls/

I'd like to explore the Belcarra area more. I've been to Buntzen Lake a few times which is a really nice hike.

Definitely want to explore the North Shore more. And Brandywine meadows in Whistler! http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/brandywine-meadows/

Where does everyone live? If we figure out who's interested and where everyone is, we can find a mid-point. Also, totally willing to carpool if anyone can't drive. I've just got an echo hatchback so only 3 extra seats, though :)

I really want to go Lindeman Lake in Chilliwack but I'm a little horrified by my $10.60 Treo bill :/  (in case you weren't aware, there's a $2.30 "License Plate Processing Fee" on top of the toll.... both ways.)

Sixth Ranger Challenge

YAY!

I'd love to come out. I'm currently working/studying for an Exam of Doom (which is on Friday July 5). Stormcrow is great --  I've been there a few times and enjoyed place. Apparently they have a D20 shot list ($5 if you roll the dice, $6 if you pick yourself). It's possible to reserve their large table (I think they do 1 per day?). St Augustine's down by the skytrain has a great selection of beer also.  

I'm open to going for a hike though be warned I do hike at the pace of a turtle, no matter what I'm carrying. Slow and steady win the race?  Beach weather next week too!! I'm hoping to take a break in the afternoons between all the studying/practice exams to get some sunshine on my skin!

Edit: While my heart is in East Van, I live now in Burnaby not far from the Millenium Skytrain line.

Well, if we set something up, I prob won't hang around the bar too long, as I don't drink, but I'd be down for the hiking lol :tongue:

Current Attributes:

Well, if we set something up, I prob won't hang around the bar too long, as I don't drink, but I'd be down for the hiking lol :tongue:

Good thing it's not so much a "bar" as it is a restaurant/ place to play board games and not get kicked out for doing it LOL I believe they have quite a collection of their own board games for people to use. Again, never been there, but this is what I have heard from others/ read on their website. The menu actually looks pretty good. I think I'm going to try the "Barbaric Beef Stew" or maybe some "Plants vs Zombies" (veggies & pork) ;)

But if people are generally not interested in Stormcrow, I am willing to abandon that idea. I have already planned to drag my less-nerdy/non-nerdy friends there for my birthday in September. So I will get to go eventually!

Sixth Ranger Challenge

Let's start with a hike and then play it by ear! :) Since we're all over, I recommend somewhere central and accommodating to all levels? Should be easily accessible by transit if possible!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

If it's accessible by transit I'm down lol. Or if it's not I'd just have to bum a ride from someone... :tongue:

Also the weather has been really nice recently (albeit a bit hot), so it would probably be a good time to do it soon, just gotta remember sunscreen or I'm going to burn like nobodies business (blast my fair skin lol).

Current Attributes:

If it's accessible by transit I'm down lol. Or if it's not I'd just have to bum a ride from someone... :tongue:

Also the weather has been really nice recently (albeit a bit hot), so it would probably be a good time to do it soon, just gotta remember sunscreen or I'm going to burn like nobodies business (blast my fair skin lol).

Oh I know! I'm part Irish (got a few frekcles to proove it) so I burn almost every time, with or without sunscreen lol

I'm down for this weekend or next. I go hiking every weekend anyways :) It's supposed to be sunny this weekend.

I can also do pick-ups from Vancouver or along the way. I'm in Marpole.

Can't do 20/21 cuz that's the Renaissance Festival and my friend's birthday. Any other weekend, though!

Who all is down for the meet-up? Alex, Sicil, me. Amanda? Mina? Anyone else? I know we have more Vancouverites around somewhere!

Sixth Ranger Challenge

If we're concerned about burnage, how about out to Quarry Rock at Deep Cove in North Vancouver? Nice and easy, should take about an hour each way. I never get sick of the views.

Accessible by bus or, of course, via graciously offered carpool. Feel free to invite friends/spouses if you're shy.

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/quarry-rock/

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

If we're all comfy, why don't you guys all private message your emails along to me? I'll start an email thread so we can all pick a date that works...

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I'm not really that concerned about burning... if I burn I burn, it'll turn into a little bit of a tan hopefully... lol. I CAN tan... it's just a serious pain in the ass...
...and in other news... I hit one my long term(and 6-week challenge) fitness goals of a single set of 50 consecutive push-ups this morning :rapture:

Current Attributes:

I'm not really that concerned about burning... if I burn I burn, it'll turn into a little bit of a tan hopefully... lol. I CAN tan... it's just a serious pain in the ass...

...and in other news... I hit one my long term(and 6-week challenge) fitness goals of a single set of 50 consecutive push-ups this morning :rapture:

50!!! Wow! Congrats.

I can only do 12 XD

You ROCK!

Sixth Ranger Challenge

We're all here to minimize each other's obstacles! :) Quarry Rock is mostly under shade, so should be nice and cool even with the hotter weather we've been getting lately. (Hotter = relative)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Haha, yea, its definately relative, but it's hot for us who live here I think.
I'm good to go pretty much whenever though, as long as I get a bit of notice. Just gotta make sure it doesnt overlap with a workout day, cause I have a tendancy to push myself hard, then I would be dragging on a hike lol.
Also, it'd be really cool to do like... a trail that you canoe or kayak to first, then hike up. I did that once quite a while back in gr.6, but I had a blast, even though I got partnered with my arch nemesis. We made a a bit of a truce to get along for the day... I think he was just worried I'd drown his ass lol.

Current Attributes: