Settlers of Catan

my best friend introduced me to this board game back in March. what do you guys know about it? 

i like it a lot because it reminds me of the classic PC game Civilization. also, it combines elements of strategy and economics (like those involved in Monopoly). i have heard that another great game that is similar to Settlers is Cardcasonne, but I have never played it. what do y'all know about that one?

Hans BraggartSideshow Freak AssassinSTR 8 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 3You should check out my press kit here - http://goo.gl/1PA5W

I enjoy Settlers, and Carcasonne as well - the two games are pretty much identical. You can get them both on xbox live if you don't have a group to play with and you have the itch.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Settlers and Carcassone are very different games in my book. The way you play, the strategies, the way to win are all different. But yes, they are both strategy games. If you specifically like the economical part of the game  you might want to look into 1830, a railroad-building-stock-market-companies-game thingie which is very cool. 

There's also a board game of civilization btw. It takes about as long, or longer to play than the pc version. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Brag post: I won a Settler's of Cataan during family vacation. Must brag,because I only win once in a blue moon.

It isa great game. I like that there is both an element of chance and strategy. And depending on the game set up ,the game aries. My son has tons of adds on to the game which also make it fun.

I like Carcassone too, though not as much as Settlers. Maybe it is because I have never won at Carcassonne. It is different than Settlers. Settlers you get victory points by building towns and cities, Carcasonne  you are building bigger lands. Similar in that it uses stategy and luck.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Settlers of Catan is on the short list of greatest board games ever made, period. I love it. It's impossible to be ruthless, because you need your opponents to win. Compare this to Monopoly, where the only objective is to grind your opponents down over time--Settlers if just plain more fun while at the same time being more mentally demanding.

Never played Carcassone, but if you like Settlers you might want to look at Dominion, a deck-building game, as well. I understand it has similar mechanics and theme.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

Love me some Catan. I have never played in person, but was addicted for a month or two on Xbox Live.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'd recommend 'Ticket to Ride' - very simple game, but a lot of fun and lots of opportunities for strategising.  It's notionally about building railway tracks, and so sounds ultra-geeky when you try to explain it, but like a lot of stuff it's just a theme.

I've only played the Europe map version, but I understand there's a US map version too.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)