Film music fans?

Film music is one of my favourite things on this planet, so I thought I might try and find other soundtrack geeks here on NerdFitness! My mp3 player is mostly filled with movie soundtracks, because I enjoy listening to instrumental and emotional music that movies have.

I have many favourite composers, such as Randy Newman, Patrick Doyle, John Powell John Williams, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Carter Burwell... I'm sure I'm forgetting someone here, but right now I am listening to Star Trek: Into Darkness soundtrack by Michael Giacchino. I think he did a remarkable job with Star Trek, especially

stayed with me long after I left the theater. : ) And San Fran Hustle is a funny tune for running...

So... Hopefully someone else is a film music enthusiast! :D What kind of film music do you enjoy?

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Fellow soundtrack enthousiast here!

If you enjoy this kind of music you'll probably also enjoy stuff like Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine etc. 

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Soundtracks are one of the best parts of the movies!

Pan's labyrinth, aside from being one of the best movies I've ever seen, has an incredible soundtrack (see:

).

Also, I love the soundtrack from Where the Wild Things Are. It's not instrumental but the songs really match the movie. 

Obviously, LOTR and HP soundtracks are one of my most listened ones...

Loved the Star Trek soundtrack!

CombatBoot (cool name, btw!), Two Steps from Hell and Audiomachine are brilliant! Is their music mostly used in movie trailers? Gotta love trailer music, too... :D

Laurabzz, Pan's Labyrinth is indeed one of the best movies there is! It was so different from what you usually see in movies... But it was also extremely sad so I'm probably never going to watch it again! :D (There's this list of movies that are brilliant but can't be watched again: Grave of the Fireflies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas...) Haven't heard of Javier Navarrete before. Seems like he knows how to compose

? I haven't seen Inkheart, either.

sounds lovely! And it's OK to talk about non-instrumental music here, too. : ) Especially when we talk about Disney films! Some songs are classics, obviously... I've mostly listened to them in Finnish, though. But
just sounds awesome in Finnish!

Lord of the Rings, yeah! I have the complete scores and I still listen to them every now and then... But here's what makes me cry pretty often: sometimes they don't have all the music from the movie in the soundtrack! Or then they alter the film versions and it isn't quite the same in the soundtrack... For example in Thor, when he kills the destroyer, the soudtrack version is very different from the movie version. Luckily you can usually find the music on Youtube or something. :D

Glad to hear you liked Star Trek, too! :D I think Giacchino did a better job with Into Darkness than with the 2009 Star Trek film. Not to say that it didn't have some very cool moments, too, but I think that this time around he really mastered his own style. I just love having great movies with great soundtracks: twice the fun!

How about movies, that maybe aren't that great, but have good soundtracks? Those exist, too... (Prince of Persia and Twilight movies, I'm looking at you.)

CombatBoot (cool name, btw!), Two Steps from Hell and Audiomachine are brilliant! Is their music mostly used in movie trailers? Gotta love trailer music, too... :D

Thanks!

How about movies, that maybe aren't that great, but have good soundtracks? Those exist, too... (Prince of Persia and Twilight movies, I'm looking at you.)

It's a shame when movies like that use such great music... I always end up downloading parts of the soundtrack, and never watching the movies.

Music like TSFH was originally only meant for trailers, but was so immensely popular they now make albums for the public too. The fun thing is, I always end up finding the best music when i'm just randomly clicking the related videos on youtube.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Laurabzz, Pan's Labyrinth is indeed one of the best movies there is! It was so different from what you usually see in movies... But it was also extremely sad so I'm probably never going to watch it again! :D (There's this list of movies that are brilliant but can't be watched again: Grave of the Fireflies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas...) Haven't heard of Javier Navarrete before. Seems like he knows how to compose

? I haven't seen Inkheart, either.

sounds lovely! And it's OK to talk about non-instrumental music here, too. : ) Especially when we talk about Disney films! Some songs are classics, obviously... I've mostly listened to them in Finnish, though. But
just sounds awesome in Finnish!

Lord of the Rings, yeah! I have the complete scores and I still listen to them every now and then... But here's what makes me cry pretty often: sometimes they don't have all the music from the movie in the soundtrack! Or then they alter the film versions and it isn't quite the same in the soundtrack... For example in Thor, when he kills the destroyer, the soudtrack version is very different from the movie version. Luckily you can usually find the music on Youtube or something. :D

Glad to hear you liked Star Trek, too! :D I think Giacchino did a better job with Into Darkness than with the 2009 Star Trek film. Not to say that it didn't have some very cool moments, too, but I think that this time around he really mastered his own style. I just love having great movies with great soundtracks: twice the fun!

I think I'll rewatch Pan's Labyrinth one day but not alone. I'll need a shoulder to cry on :D Ohh Disney movie soudtracks are amazing. I love Pocahontas for example, the songs touch some serious topics and I only understood them when I rewatched the movie last year. If you like weirdly interesting movies, I'd recommend watching Where the Wild Things Are, I really enjoyed it. But then again, I might have weird taste as I know some people who didn't like it.

I know! Sometimes you have to hunt for the exact songs :D I used to have a soundtrack from the first 3 Harry Potter movies on repeat, it made me feel like magic was real :)

Ugh I had a whole list of the movies with great soundtracks regardless of whether the movie was actually good. I need to find that list. 

The Twilight thing is ridiculous, I remember reading somewhere that band Muse got popular only AFTER the Twilight whereas it actually was extremely successful without Twilight's 'help'.

Im a huge movie nerd too! Soundtracks are one of my favourite things about a movie!

What are your favourite soundtracks outside of the orchestral genre, like movies that use pop music as the soundtracks rather than a traditional score or are you not a fan?

My faves are the Harry Potter soundtrack (GoF especially), The Strangers and LOTR, Inception and Cloud Atlas, but I also love the soundtracks for Reservoir Dogs, Romeo and Juliet, Drive, The Social Network and Trainspotting!

The only way to enjoy anything in this life is to earn it first. - Ginger Rogers ~

I also run a nerdy movie blog ~

Huh, they say Muse got popular after Twilight? Well, maybe among some Twilight fans... :D And to answer to your question, cinematichigh (hello there!), I think Twilight movies have good soundtracks. Lord (of the Rings) knows those movies bore me to death every time I try to watch them, but the music is very good. I like listening to the New Moon soundtrack while I'm jogging :) I think 28 Days Later also had some non-instrumental songs that I liked...

Yep, that's it :D I also liked all the songs in Lord of the Rings trilogy: May It Be, Gollum's Songs and Into the West. And oh!
films have great soundtracks, too! Excellent music for working out and feeling generally like a bamf.

Inglourious Basterds also had a classy OST... Which reminds me of the best of the best, Ennie Morricone! The Dollar Trilogy is brilliant, and Morricone's music makes them even better.

, ah! At some point I was a little annoyed because Tarantino uses Morricone's music so much in his films, but then again that brings them to today's audiences, too. 

Social Network's soundtrack was a pleasant surprise for me! It reminds me a little of Tron: Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk, which I like as well... It's like an electric version of The Last of the Mohicans. :D

I'd love to hear your list of terrible movies with great soundtracks, laurabzz :DD

I'm listening to the Men in Black 3 soundtrack at the moment :D

Ok so some of the soundtracks I listen or used to listen a lot (movies are not terrible either):

Juno

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Les Chansons d'amour (songs are in French so I don't understand them lol)

Pride and Prejudice (so beautiful)

The Boat that Rocked

The Hunger Games (it had a really good sountrack, imho)

Django Unchained

Step Up (I don't listen to that kind of music but I think it was good)

Life of Pi (I LOVED the soundtrack)

This is not that list with terrible movies, I think most of those movies are pretty good :D This is just a few that I found in my Music folder in my computer. 

Also, the TV series called Supernatural have AMAZING soundtrack if you like all the classic rock like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC... you name it.

Oh, the Hobbit songs were amazing too!

Blunt the knives, bend the forks...

I'm listening to the Men in Black 3 soundtrack at the moment :D

Ok so some of the soundtracks I listen or used to listen a lot (movies are not terrible either):

Juno

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Les Chansons d'amour (songs are in French so I don't understand them lol)

Pride and Prejudice (so beautiful)

The Boat that Rocked

The Hunger Games (it had a really good sountrack, imho)

Django Unchained

Step Up (I don't listen to that kind of music but I think it was good)

Life of Pi (I LOVED the soundtrack)

Ok so this is not that list with terrible movies, I think most of those movies are pretty good :D This is just a few that I found in my Music folder in my computer. 

Also, the TV series called Supernatural have AMAZING soundtrack if you like all the classic rock like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC... you name it.

Oh, the Hobbit songs were amazing too!

Blunt the knives, bend the forks...

Pride and prejudice has such a beautiful soundtrack! And I liked The Hunger Games, too.... Which reminds me of The Last Airbender. I didn't really understand the movie (I haven't even watched the cartoon yet!), but the music was the best thing in the film :D

I've recently listened to BBC Sherlock soundtrack while studying. Makes me want to learn things!

Aww, The Fountain soundtrack is amazing, and I like the movie, too. I had to watch it a couple of times before I started to like it, but the music got me right away. Sunshine is one of my favourites as well. I think they used some of that music in Kick-Ass?

And now I'm giving MIB 3 soundtrack a chance... :DD

Love instrumental soundtracks! James Horner, Hans Zimmer, all of it. Main ones over the years.

Braveheart

The Last of the Mohicans

A Beautiful Mind

Gladiator

The Professional

Legends of the Fall

Robin Hood

Hannibal

The Rock

Black Hawk Down

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (seriously, if you've never heard it, grab it!)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Assassination of Jesse James has a beautiful and melancholy soundtrack, makes me feel a little sad for some reason... And that's why I listen to it sometimes :DThe Last of the Mohicans is great! It's a simple tune, but fives me a lot of feels every time.

Right now I'm listening to Man of Steel OST. Pretty basic Zimmer, but that's a good thing for me: great workout music! Also, I love the drums. Anyone else have an opinion about it? :)

Fight Club soundtrack (Dust Brothers)

Danny the Dog soundtrack (Massive Attack)

Suckerpunch (entirely covers of songs that were in OTHER movies about dreams)

Spawn (entirely made up of two VERY different bands thrown together and told to make something)

The Crow (the best of 90's alt-metal / goth)

Ravenous (Damon Albarn given free rein to be wierd)

Terminator II (Brad Fidel's best work ever)

Rocky (Bill Conti <3)

Four Brothers (so much wonderful soul)

Blues Brothers ('nuff said)

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Assassination of Jesse James has a beautiful and melancholy soundtrack, makes me feel a little sad for some reason... And that's why I listen to it sometimes :DThe Last of the Mohicans is great! It's a simple tune, but fives me a lot of feels every time.

Right now I'm listening to Man of Steel OST. Pretty basic Zimmer, but that's a good thing for me: great workout music! Also, I love the drums. Anyone else have an opinion about it? :)

Assassination of Jesse James soundtrack was done by Nick Cave; I love his music in general. Soundtrack was amazing. 

BBC Sherlock had amazing soundtrack but it had amazing everything haha. I'm looking forward to season 3.

On a funny note, has anyone seen Despicable Me 2? There was this song in the end that made me almost fall from a chair in cinema :D

Ooh, this is awesome!

I really like ES Posthumus - this is probably their most famous song. You'll recognize it from every epic/action movie trailer ever.

What about video game soundtracks? Right now I'm really into the Mass Effect 3 score.

Yeah, I remember that song from Sherlock Holmes 2 trailer! I'd love to get to know ES Posthumus better... Could you recommend more songs from them? :)

And I am kind of super happy you brought up video game soundtracks... I was thinking about talking about them here, too :D There are some real gems to be found in video games! I adore Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack, and oh, how about Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot? Playing those games was my favourite past time as a kid, and their music still plays in my head every now and then... And I will never not talk about Tomb Raider soundtracks! :D

I'm just listening to Mass Effect soundtrack... I should probably listen to it fully tomorrow while studying. Another reason to love instrumental soundtracks: they are good for reading :)

laurabzz, I watched the Reichenbach episode yesterday and I am dying to see season 3!! The music in the series is way too epic to handle! But I'm so angry with Sherlock because of that episode... Not gonna discuss it here, because spoilers, but I just have too many feels. :DD Give us season 3 already!!

Haven't seen Despicable Me yet. I'll pay attention to the song when I'll go!

Thrillho, nice to see someone else like Terminator tunes :D Somehow I've never really watched the third Terminator properly, but I liked Salvation's soundtrack, though it was very different from the first ones. Danny Elfman composed some good melodies for guitar there... Which reminds me of the Black Beauty soundtrack. : o I haven't listened to it for a long time... So many soundtracks to listen to. :I

But now I need to listen to some CDs I got from the library today! The Amazing Spider-man, The Year of the Wolf, Movie Masterpieces from Ennio Morricone, Pan's Labyrinth and Disney: Greatest Hits :D Which Disney movie do you think has the best music? :)

laurabzz, I watched the Reichenbach episode yesterday and I am dying to see season 3!! The music in the series is way too epic to handle! But I'm so angry with Sherlock because of that episode... Not gonna discuss it here, because spoilers, but I just have too many feels. :DD Give us season 3 already!!

Haven't seen Despicable Me yet. I'll pay attention to the song when I'll go!

But now I need to listen to some CDs I got from the library today! The Amazing Spider-man, The Year of the Wolf, Movie Masterpieces from Ennio Morricone, Pan's Labyrinth and Disney: Greatest Hits :D Which Disney movie do you think has the best music? :)

Why yes, Sherlock had a very amazing soundtrack :D Oh so you only watched Sherlock now? You know nothing about waiting, sweet summer child (this is GoT reference, just in case :D ). By the way, I LOVE GoT intro. It's sooo epic.

Trust me, you'll know what I'm talking about once you watch Despicable Me :D

I think I too need to listen to Disney soundtracks. I can't remember many now.

By the way, do you know Sigur Ros? I love their music. It's very movie-esque, for me. The visual part of their performances is as much important as musical. I loved Heima.

Their Cartographer album is good. Also St. Matthew Passion, and a remix they did of Jay-z's RunThis Town. It is so epic. I wish people would mix orchestra and rap more often.

Wow, Run This Town sounds fantastic. I have the same wish as you here.

Why yes, Sherlock had a very amazing soundtrack :D Oh so you only watched Sherlock now? You know nothing about waiting, sweet summer child (this is GoT reference, just in case :D ). By the way, I LOVE GoT intro. It's sooo epic.

... I actually watched the Reichenbach episode for the third time (whoops). :DD Oh, the wait...

I haven't listened to Sigur Rós much, but Sæglópur has been a favourite of mine for many years :)

Their Cartographer album is good. Also St. Matthew Passion, and a remix they did of Jay-z's RunThis Town. It is so epic. I wish people would mix orchestra and rap more often.

I agree! Classical rap and metal are superb!

... I actually watched the Reichenbach episode for the third time (whoops). :DD Oh, the wait...

I've seen Scandal in Belgravia at least 3 times :D Can't watch Reichenbach one though. 

I'm currently watching Star Wars trilogy. Their soundtrack is amazing, I think no one mentioned this yet. And we call ourselves nerds.

Yeah, I remember that song from Sherlock Holmes 2 trailer! I'd love to get to know ES Posthumus better... Could you recommend more songs from them? :)

While I can't specifically say anything about ES Posthumus as I've lately been on a 2 Steps from Hell kick, I do have a list of more groups that do music similar to what they do... so enjoy. I'll warn you though, I can't listen to the radio anymore, that music just seems so... blah now.

POSITION MUSIC/ PP MUSIC

ATMOSPHERE

WEST ONE MUSIC

GOTHIC STORM

GLOBUS

ABACO MUSIC

SOUNDIVA

BRAND X MUSIC

X-RAY DOG

SONIC LIBRARIAN

TWO STEPS FROM HELL

PFEIFER BROZ

AUDIO MACHINE

EPIC SCORE

E.S. POSTHUMAS

INVASION FROM MARS – IFM

MEDIA MUSIC FACTORY

ALPHA DOG MUSIC

KPM MUSIC

SHOCKWAVE SOUND

BRICKWALL AUDIO

EARDRUM MUSIC

POSTHASTE MUSIC

ADRENALINE MUSIC

DAN GRAHAM

JEFFEREY HAYAT

MARK PETRIE

BORIS SALCHOW

LIQUID CINEMA

GUY-ROGER DUVERT

CENTURION RAGE RECORDS

SOUND ADVENTURES

CHRIS HAIGH

GROOVE ADDICTS

SONOTON TRAILER TRACKS

THE HIT HOUSE

JOCHEN FLACH

DEWOLFE MUSIC

TAREK MANSUR

BING BANG BOOM MUSIC

MUSIC JUNKIES

UBM MUSIC

GINA BRIGIDA

KILLER TRACKS

UBM MUSIC

PROOF SOUND

8 DAWN MUSIC

SONIC SYMPHONY

ALEX PFEFFER

FIRED EARTH MUSIC

IRRADIA MUSIC

IMMEDIATE MUSIC

SPRINT MUSIC

RIPTIDE MUSIC

FRINGE ELEMENT TRAILER SERIES

RED ARC MUSIC

FIFTH FLOOR MUSIC

KAP MUSIC

NON-STOP MUSIC

SKANDA MUSIC

DEEP EAST MUSIC

FUTURE WORLD MUSIC

ACOUSTITRACKS

DISTORTION MX

ADAM BALAZS

THOMAS BERGERSEN

ICE 9 MUSIC

CINEMASOUNDS

MUSIC CANDY

ATILLA ATS

EXTORTION AUDIO

VLADO HUDEC

Drums you say... :-) I LOVE me some drums...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)