Mini-Challenge 3: Tinman

Chanda

Welcome to the 3rd week of our Wizard of Oz mini challenges!

Don't forget that we are still walking along the yellow brick road on our way to Emerald City... log your miles here.

Congrats to Evenewbie who currently has a solid lead! :)

We meditated together over 25 hours as a group as part of the 2nd mini-challenge! Great work everyone!

Mini-Challenge 3:  Tinman (24.Jun to 30.Jun):

Dorothy, Toto and the Scarecrow travel together along the Yellow Brick Road until they stop to pick some apples. And thats when they meet the Tinman:

They soon find out that the Tinman believes he was built without a heart... The Tinman would dearly love to have a heart:

When a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
And yet I'm torn apart
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be a human
If I only had a heart

It doesn't take long before Dorothy and the Scarecrow invite the Tinman to join them on their journey to Emerald City. Surely the Wizard can give the Tinman a heart!

This week your mini-challenge has 3 parts to it:

1. Perform a small Random Act of Kindness (can be as simple as paying for a strangers coffee or holding the door open for someone... many ideas on this site, big and small). 
  2. Get in touch with a family member or friend you have lost contact with.
  3. Adopt 2 Druids: read about their challenge, post on their topic regularly providing encouragement and support as needed. In this case Adopt means you are the "person who aids another in achieving goals". This is a purely altruistic connection between you and your chosen Druids. Ideally, the relationships you start this week continue for the rest of the challenge.
  • No adopting Druids that have already been adopted or whose challenge you are already following closely.
  • If we run out of Druids to be adopted, you can go outside the guild.
  • Make the adoption formal by adding your name and who you are adopting at the Druid Adoption Center.
  • To find your Adoptees look through the Druid challenge topics and then check if the Druid you want to adopt is still free by looking at the Adoption Center list... its a first come first served situation.
  • If you have a particular desire to be adopted you can post your request in this topic. :)
  • If your Heart is big enough that you feel you can adopt more than 2 Druids, then you can do so too! :D
Yes, this week you are in  :love_heart: Boot Camp! Don't over complicate it... follow your heart and get it done!

Notes:
  • Members from all Guilds are welcome to join in!
  • Participating Druids who complete all 4 mini-challenges, earn one attribute point (allocate the point based on where you got the most benefit from participating): Dorothy and TotoScarecrowTin Man and Lion.
  • You will have 1 week to complete each mini-challenge.
  • If you have only just decided to do the mini-challenges: you can go back and complete the past week mini-challenge (as long as it does not interfere with you reaching your own goals).
  • Report your participation and completion of the mini-challenge by commenting on this topic!
And most important of all... Have Fun!!!!   :D

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Well, of course, I am in!

On the look out for unsuspecting strangers to be RAKed.

And I think contacting my brothers may be the way to go, I am bound to reach at least one of them... and I sure do miss them. That failing I have a friend from primary school that I would like to know how she is doing. :)

If anyone feels like adopting me: the areas I struggle with are: managing my online time I go missing for weeks at a time and am often unresponsive, when I spend time online I over do it, paperwork my Dragon is definitely paperwork (decluttering in general is a struggle) and procrastination I am a master procrastinator, I can even procrastinate about procrastinating. At the moment I am working on running and maintaining my weight (slight loss is also ok) while reducing my body fat percentage/increasing lean mass. This is to be achieved with a balanced lifestyle without a strict diet or mad exercise routines. Would like to become a morning person and one of those Do It Now people! 

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I'm scared to death to adopt anyone, scared to death I'll let them down by not logging on often enough... or is that one of the main POINTS of the mini-challenge.  Hmmm.

Chanda, you're intimidating to me, but I'd be honored to adopt you & will go select another victim ... now...  before I chicken right out.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Yeah! I got adopted. I promise I don't byte. :D

To be honest I hadn't considered scary part of taking the step to adopt anyone. I just thought it would increase guild interaction. Plus, caring for another ones goals is an altruistic thing to do... which is related to having a good heart. :) Of course, overcoming a fear is a great bonus, it builds up self-confidence! :)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

To be honest I hadn't considered scary part of taking the step to adopt anyone.

.. Agree, this is not Real Fear, was blubbering about my own issues -- sorry if it sounded like criticism. It's a great challenge item which will help with accountability in addition to all that other good stuff you mention.

So get busy adopting, Druids !!

I am in.  Picking someone to adopt actually forces you to read a few other threads, and they are interesting.  I can use the excuse to check in once a day.  Otherwise I tend to just disappear for a few days.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Glad to see a few people jumping in!

.. Agree, this is not Real Fear, was blubbering about my own issues -- sorry if it sounded like criticism. It's a great challenge item which will help with accountability in addition to all that other good stuff you mention.

So get busy adopting, Druids !!

Not blubbering and I certainly didn't read it as criticism. It was something I did not consider when I chose that part of the mini-challenge... but I see it as a positive because overcoming this small fears builds the road to overcoming bigger fears. :D

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I had lunch with a 'virtual' friend today, I am counting that as getting in touch.  It added several hours to a long day of driving, but I'm glad we got to connect in person.

I will be practicing random acts of kindness over the next several days.  I like doing that anyway, it's fun.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

This is one of my favorite mini-challenges so far (including the fear factor).

re: random act of kindness - done.  (Unanticipated benefit:  humor.) Some Southerners are too polite for my tastebuds...like when I decided to go all polite on THEM during the commute home... it didn't work!  Each time I waved to a pedestrian or other car to go, they smiled and waved back; so nobody was going anywhere, if someone didn't end the madness. Instead I sent a lengthy cheer-up text (not while driving) full of compliments to a far-away friend whose texts I usually return only about 1:10.

re:  getting in touch - done.  Had a mini-epiphany in that, some people I've lost touch with, I'm happy to let it ride.  (Unanticipated benefit: reduction in stress/guilt.)  But EM'd 1 relative & 1 ex-work-friend I miss + bought a (paper) greeting card to mail to a 3rd one who moved away.

Ok - so my family is strange. My mother passed away some years ago, my father and I have a very bad relationship based on years of fighting and then me cutting the cord, my brother lives abroad and we're in touch like once every two years.

Anyway, life could be worse ;-)

So my paternal aunt is alive and I finally emailed her. I like family so it would be nice to be in touch.

We'll see if she replies.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

E, I heard that.  Families are the devil (or can be).  Congratulations on taking that step.  I heard back from my relative already, we're doing lunch in a couple of weeks, and I'm so glad. I call her a relative but we're actually ex-in-laws made multiple-ex by divorce and death.

Wonder what the cute and cuddly Cowardly Lion has in store for us?

It feels good to not be the only one even though I would wish that more of us had more harmony in our lives ;-)

So glad that you heard back from your (extended) family!

And yes - the lion.....

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Wait what are the Druids saying about me?

What do you think we say? :rolleyes-new:

I can make loads of Bourbon disappear...

Am I a wizard now? :pirate:

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

What do you think we say? :rolleyes-new:

I can make loads of Bourbon disappear...

Am I a wizard now? :pirate:

We say only good things. :)

Making loads of Bourbon disappear makes you a pirate. Now if you could make pure Bourbon appear out of thin air, that would make you a wizard. ;)

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

RAK: I overcame my "dont interfere, they'll figure it out soon enough" instinct and told the lady at the hotel we were staying about the 2 fishes that were belly up in her pond. I figured the sooner they dealt with it the more chances the other fishes had of staying alive and healthy... and less chances of anyone getting food poisoning since the fishes were ultimately intended for cooking. Its borderline if I can count this as a RAK... They had someone out there caring for the fish within seconds, so I figure it was needed and helpful that I told them... so I am counting it.

GIT: By some twist of fortune I got emails from several family members I hadnt heard from in a long time wishing my daughter a happy 2nd birthday. So this one was made easy... I responded to all of them individually and in a thoughtful way, also asking questions which will hopefully lead to more communication. :) 

AAD: Was adopted by SS which has been great and also have some nice exchanges with one of my adoptees. :)

Now onto the Lion... that will be posted shortly. :D

5.27%
5.27%

16.67%
16.67%

I missed this because I was gone most of last week... BUT! I did a random act of kindness.  Some girls were buying something at the farm store we hit up before leaving Asheville and they were .20 short. So I gave them some of my change. 

Honestly, I didn't think twice about it or consider it a RAOK but the clerk gave me a free ice pack for our frozen goods because of my "random act of kindness."  Winning! 

Also got in touch with a friend I've been not so in touch with... sent her a ridiculous text.  She's also bad at keeping in touch so we're still playing random text..  but I'm pretty excited I hit this stuff without realizing it.

You guys are obviously a good influence :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I did 2 things last week that I wouldn't have thought of doing.  The first was cleaning up my hotel room before I checked out.  I threw away all my trash, put things back into place.  I consider myself a fairly neat person, but I really move stuff out of my way because I like to unpack everything.  It was a small thing, but I think it was a kindness.

Then on Sunday I decided I needed some motivation to go to the gym.  Our small town has a community center where people drop off clothing and other donations.  I am pretty good about giving away clothes that I no longer wear (http://lifehacker.com/5502694/weed-out-the-clothes-you-dont-wear-with-a-simple-hanger-trick), but I'm not so good about weeding out shoes I don't wear.  I gave away 10 pairs of shoes.  10 pairs!  five of them were tennies and hiking shoes, the other 5 were summer sandals and shoes that I think I might wear, but they aren't that comfortable.

It makes me happy knowing that someone has nice shoes that were doing nothing in my closet.

VioletFlame (Margie), level 4 Wood elf druid
STR 8 | DEX 6 | STA 14.5 | CON 11.25 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 9

2013 Challenge #1  ~ #2  ~ #3 ~ #4 ~ #5

Current Challenge

I finally managed something I have been trying to do for awhile.  I got my sister to come and visit.  She will be coming for my son's Eagle court of honor.  We should have plenty of time to catch up on things.

Yesterday, I also got an overwhelming response to something I thought fairly ordinary.  I took my violin along to a party at my brother-in-law's house to play a few tunes.  He had really enjoyed it the last time I did it, so I thought I would repeat the experience.  Just before I got there, he had mentioned he hoped I would bring the fiddle.  So, he got his wish.  Just before I left, I played Ashokan Farewell, since it seemed very appropriate.  It is one of my brother-in-law's favorite tunes, and many of the others around recognized it, as well.  All-in-all, a good deed which turned out far better than I expected.

Last weekend, my music group, The Backyard Boys, did our usual once-a-month visit to a nursing home.  We played all sorts of things, from bluegrass, to old time, to traditional and modern gospel.  We had a great time.  I would highly recommend donating time to a nursing home.  You can be your worst, and it will be the best to them, simply because you took the time to come and help or entertain.  It always picks me up.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines