• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BigJim78

So...any other Paleo fans began farting loads??

So yeah....

*clears throat*

I know most folks might call the subject matter dodgier than a 5 day old vindaloo but I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this.

With the latest 6 week challenge one of my fitness goals was to go 100% Paleo. Since doing so my internals have been...well.... last week I was driving along in the back of a truck with three other guys out on site. Nature took its course and I changed the air pressure in the vehicle somewhat. Next thing I know I'm rolling along on my lonesome in a driverless vehicle.

I'm not saying I've never let one slip out in the past. I have been known on occasion to clear a conference room mid meeting, as well as cause conversation to stall somewhat when I interrupt the discourse with a single tuneful number.

But it seems to be worse than an ordinary guys guts ought to be. I've walked the 80/20 Paleo line previous to this fairly consistently. Is this simply due to a complete change in my diet and will it settle down in time? Good it be the higher intake of protein? Or the masses of vegetable matter I'm ingesting?

I'm fairly sure I'm one more toot from being made to sleep on the couch tonight.

Any input about my output would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Alright, I'll tackle this topic because I know the feel and I have a theory. My theory is that it has a lot to do with what you were eating before you started the Paleo Diet. My evidence to support this theory: when I have a cheat day and eat grains, I find myself farting like you're describing as well. I'm willing to believe that's the reason and I feel that this shall pass for you if your diet remains clean.

You could always try Beano. =P

It's called my gut needs more good bacteria. Beano will help but not cure. You are going to have to change your gut. When my kids were babies I would give them probiotic's,Especially after a round of antibiotics. Not just because it helped them feel good but it made them smell good. Die off from other underlying gut  issues will cause gas from hell too. You might want to work on replacing your bread/sugar binges with food that is safer for your new gut flora.

I had a small problem when I went paleo.....I found that the culprits were asparagus and brussells sprouts, as I started eating them roasted every day.  I love them, but I now severely limit them.  I have switched to summer squashes (zucchinis) and lettuces and that has "cleared up" the problem.

I have found it's the food I eat..> I <3 brocolli- but man does it lite me up.  My then bf used to laugh at me all the time because I would wage an internal war with myself about how badly I wanted them- esp if they didn't have a good alternative for veggies with my meal.

And it didn't matter if it was at night- I would eat and just do it in my sleep- HUMILIATING.

So yeah- brocolli was on none-bf days.  

There are  few other things that cause it- some proteins make it happen- IMMEDIATELY like within the hour. You should be able to dial it down once you get used to eating the "regular" foods.

This is also a side effect of high fiber intakes. One big reason to keep your fiber intake within a band, too little and too much is bad (too much isn't bad from a health standpoint, but the gas that comes with it is generally frowned apon). Veggies = fiber. Contrary to popular belief, fiber is not undigested, it can be fermented in the intestines into a fatty acid. Side effect of fermentation = gas.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try a probiotic as Im not eating sprouts. Zuchinni is already a staple as well as broccoli. It's eased up a little bit in the last few days, hopefully the probiotics may help.

Been off grain and sugar for 4 weeks now with no reservations.

Thanks all for the help.

I have found it's the food I eat..> I <3 brocolli- but man does it lite me up.  My then bf used to laugh at me all the time because I would wage an internal war with myself about how badly I wanted them- esp if they didn't have a good alternative for veggies with my meal.

And it didn't matter if it was at night- I would eat and just do it in my sleep- HUMILIATING.

So yeah- brocolli was on none-bf days.  

There are  few other things that cause it- some proteins make it happen- IMMEDIATELY like within the hour. You should be able to dial it down once you get used to eating the "regular" foods.

This is also a side effect of high fiber intakes. One big reason to keep your fiber intake within a band, too little and too much is bad (too much isn't bad from a health standpoint, but the gas that comes with it is generally frowned apon). Veggies = fiber. Contrary to popular belief, fiber is not undigested, it can be fermented in the intestines into a fatty acid. Side effect of fermentation = gas.

I'd second both of these.  Certain foods tend to be triggers - often higher-fiber foods, but in some cases it's specific foods that just don't play well with some people.  This is one where the "food journal" can be a big help - start tracking things and looking for patterns.

Waldo is right. The ecosystem that is your gut has grown a population of bacteria to process that diet you had. It isn't just Paleo this happens whenever anyone radically alters diet composition. Some of the bacteria in your gut is now starving and dying... other bacteria is gorging and trying to rapidly reproduce to handle the increased intake of what they process. It is a nasty scene in there... And will be till it all evens out.

I found this out when I added 3 cups of baby spinash to a 1L shake I drank the other day. GF was not happy, made my room mate laugh a whole lot though. Slept on the couch that night.