Hi guys!

I'm Kerwin, hailing from the wonderfully sunny islands of the Philippines, but currently based in Bangkok, Thailand. I consider myself a nomad because there's really no place with a pull strong enough to reel me in and make me stay put. If I find that piece of haven, I'll let you guys know.

I joined the Rebellion because I made a firm commitment to make my short stay here in Bangkok a most fulfilling one. I have set six goals for myself when I got assigned this 1-year stint (possibly extendable to 2 more years): (1) Grow my hair long; (2) Learn how to cook; (3) Save money; (4) Learn how to speak Thai; (5) Go for my ASA designation (Yes, I am a math geek and an actuary); and (6) Be fit. This space is too short to discuss the other items, but let me focus on what's relevant on these forums: fitness.

I am 5' 4.5'', currently weighing 130 lbs. My heaviest point was back in 2011 when I weighed 152 lbs. My lightest point (at least after college) was 2 years before that, in 2009, when I weighed 125 lbs. I have oscillated between bordering overweight (getting "double chin" jokes from "cruel" friends) and the low end of acceptable weight (getting "you look like you're on drugs" comments from the same friends) from 2005 to now. My goal is to find that perfect balance between the two. I want to be buff, but not overweight, but I don't want to be skinny/lean, either. That said, I've been trying hard to keep my diet in check, my strength training consistent, and while I'm still not that happy with how I look in photos, I feel a lot better in general, and looking at myself in the mirror elicits some positively tingling effects. LOL. (Maybe I'm not photogenic, but isn't there a saying somewhere "The camera does not lie?")

Like I said, I'm also a geek. I like math, I like problem solving, I like the entire Uncharted series (Nathan Drake is a personal idol, alongside Steve Kamb, hahaha), and I'm currently starting on The Last of Us (which terrifies me to no end). I have my own Tumblr and Wordpress websites (kerwinray.tumblr.com and thesunbakedking.wordpress.com) because I like to write. I watch Game of Thrones but have not read the books. I love movies that mess up with time-- time travel is a personal weakness. No matter how crappy the movie is, if it presents time in a non-linear way, I'll give it 5 stars. Admittedly, I also like the Saw series and Final Destination. For some reason, I find them very creative.

That's it for now. Nice meeting you guys! :D

Welcome Kerwin. Looks like you're ready to take on your life. There are plenty of resources and friendly people here who will motivate, encourage and guide you.  Do you have any kind of idea how you'd like to go about "being buff but not overweight"? If you need some help why not pop on over to the strength training forums and ask for some help :)

Good luck xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Welcome Kerwin. Looks like you're ready to take on your life. There are plenty of resources and friendly people here who will motivate, encourage and guide you.  Do you have any kind of idea how you'd like to go about "being buff but not overweight"? If you need some help why not pop on over to the strength training forums and ask for some help :)

Good luck xx

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, AngelBlaidd! Yes, I think I'll pop over to that section of the forums to see what advice I can get. This seems like a great community. :D

I really think it is. I've been reading the articles for about a year now and I love it. I'm currently doing Paleo and I'm a fan of the Playground Exercises that Steve once wrote about (only I do them inside my apartment where it isn't 117 degrees out!)  Welcome and take care!

Thanks, Amy. I'm doing Paleo + not-so-GOMAD. Hahaha. I'm trying to ease my way into GOMAD, so just drinking around 1/3 of a gallon now. :)