Long Time Reader, 1st Time Poster :-)

Hello Everyone!! :redface-new:

My name is Amy. I'll be 29 years old next month. I've actually been a part of the Nerd Fitness emailing list for about 1 year now. I discovered the website by doing a google search because I was trying to learn how to teach myself to do a pull up/push up. (I've always horrible upper body strength but plan to change that!) I found myself absorbed in the many articles that were provided here and felt that Steve sounded like a genuine guy who was funny, humble and very down to earth. I've been reading the articles ever since. But today will be the first time I've ever posted.

So, last year around this time I decided to try the Paleo Diet. I read up as much about it as I could, gave it a shot, and ended up losing 15lbs in one month without hardly doing any exersize.  (Steve isn't kidding when he says diet is 80-90% of the battle!) But I gave up after that. Looking back I feel that maybe I was too strict on myself and was miserable as a result.  This time around I'm going to do a bit of tweaking. I've decided to stick to about an 80% Paleo Plan. My biggest things will be no Processed Foods, White Flour or Sugar, and eating Mainly Veggies and Protiens. I'm going to hold off on fruit for now, but this time around I will take it easy on myself regarding a few things. I've decided to allow some dairy into my diet, and I will also allow soy, and also beans, but in moderation. This time around, instead of giving up, I plan on tweaking what doesn't work and jumping right back on the wagon. I also plan on implementing an exercise regimen. Joe's story of losing 128lbs in 10 months was a huge inspiration to me and what led me to try the Paleo Diet in the first place. I thought "If he can lose so much weight in such a short amount of time, why couldn't I?  I am currently 206lbs and would like to lose between 90-100lbs.  Wish me luck! And I'd love to hear from anyone who would like an accountability buddy! (I need one too! :positive: )

Working on weight loss too.  Also doing Paleo, but probably a lot stricter, because it's not just for weight loss but for dealing with fibromyalgia.  I would love to have an accountability buddy :)  Later today, I'm going to start a post to keep track of food/exercise.  Trying to incorporate one additional change every week this summer.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Whittierrenegade, I agree completely about becoming too strict on a diet. It is such a tough way to live if you are eating nothing but things you hate. I found with my permanent diet changes that I had to ween off of some of the more unhealthy addictions I had in order to be more successful. For example, I have been hooked on Starburst and Fruit Juices for a long time. I had to simply reduce my intake of these things until I found that there were other delicious options that had taken their place. 

In other words just keep plugging away and if you have an off meal or day, just jump right back on that horse. :) I know I sure have to from time to time (and avoid anywhere that Starburst might even THINK of existing). There are also lots of veterans and noobs (like me) who are here to be supportive and share in the battle.

Happy hunting! 

I found with my permanent diet changes that I had to ween off of some of the more unhealthy addictions I had in order to be more successful.

I am trying to slowly ween off of my bad habits but it is hard. I don't like slow, which is newbie mistake number 1 I beleive. Starburst must have been a hard thing to let go! I can eat a whole pack of those things without realizing it, which is the problem haha. My biggest problem is snacking on candy, specifically oreos, at work (i work at an ice cream shop) and we can eat whatever we want for free while on the clock. The ultamite test for my willpower!

Thanks for the support! It makes this change much more managable knowing that someone is there to help along the way :D

"I'm trying to slowly ween off of my bad habits but it is hard. I don't like slow, which is newbie mistake number 1 ..."

First, I hope I quoted that correctly because this is my first forum ever. With all of the things I'm into that's a weird thought. Second, we sound like our perspective on dieting are very similar. I dive in with both feet (kind of my approach to everything) but sometimes it makes life more difficult. It often resulted in quitting diets or not getting back on the wagon. And I've always wanted to see results now. But having people to talk to and be accountable to really helps. And they don't bite my head off if I have a Starburst ( or Oreos in your case :) ). One thing you could try is putting some oreos in a small container and just eat what is in there. When its gone, you're done for the day. I found that visualization works for me better then trying to mentally keep track.

And that's what I'm on this forum for! I want to learn and make friends that are going through similar lifestyle changes. It's a lot harder to destroy an opposing army by yourself. Better to bring along friends. :)