Help! Breaking the NPC coding

Hi! I'm Tom, worker, nerd, erstwhile photographer at anime conventions, caffeine dependent and rice addicted. 

This is my face:
tumblr_mpl04dZZVw1qgn617o1_500.jpg

I'm here because I want to improve my fitness, get a handle on my life, and maybe drop a couple of belt loops before I get married next March!

I'm turning to The Rebellion because I've tried various activities & sports in the past, from general gym workouts to college American Football and (very poor) Pro Wrestling, but I can't quite get it to stick. I'd be interested to get input and ideas for non-exercise activities that I can extend into fitness! 

*Title refers to the "RPG IRL: What's Your Profession?" article - the more I read it, the more I feel like an NPC! But I want to break that code!

The most important belt-reduction activity is to reduce your calorie intake and clean up your diet.  I recommend you stop by the Nerd Fitness resources page and grab the guide to healthy eating. 

I haven't got much in the way of activity suggestions - anything that gets you moving is better than sitting. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome!

^ what they said...

but as far as activities... hmmm... can you get more detailed about the types of gym workouts you did?  What did you like most about each type of activity you've tried? Which of the activities did you like the best? 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Hey everyone! Thanks for the responses.

I'm working on getting my diet in check - step one is cutting my energy drinks right back! 

As for activities, it's been a few years so I don't remember much detail, but in hindsight pretty lacklustre and uncoordinated. As for what I liked... Not much! I don't really have anything so it's a bit of a challenge to get up and get moving, but on the positive side there's a lot out there to discover!

Hey everyone! Thanks for the responses.

I'm working on getting my diet in check - step one is cutting my energy drinks right back! 

As for activities, it's been a few years so I don't remember much detail, but in hindsight pretty lacklustre and uncoordinated. As for what I liked... Not much! I don't really have anything so it's a bit of a challenge to get up and get moving, but on the positive side there's a lot out there to discover!

Oooh, you sound like you'll benefit a bunch from joining in on a 6 week challenge! (and yes, I'm probably as excited as that sounds.. I know, it's the little things).

Well then!  Let's see..

It sounds like you've got a good idea about how to tackle the diet stuff at the moment. Small steps to remove the undesirables--check.

As far as activities go I'm going to go ahead and say it's time to try ALL THE THINGS! But not all at once :)   You could: lift heavy things (my preference), move your body weight in crazy ways (body weight training and/or parkour), run (but why? jk scouts <3), fight (boxing, kickboxing are both fn awesome and a little less touchy than wrestling), aerial fitness, pole dancing (hey, you never know), and/or drink the crossfit kool-aid. 

There are certainly many other options.. but that gives you an idea.

If you can afford something like Crossfit I'd recommend it.  They do almost everything I've mentioned above so you'd be exposed to fun, new things and it may help you narrow down what you're really interested in. A groupon or something would be a great way to try that.

Otherwise, the simplest go to plan for losing weight is resistance training + some cardio.  Sounds heinously boring, I know. BUT I find the resistance training in the form of lifting things up and putting them down is really fun.  And, what it comes down to, is that you need muscle to burn more fat and keep it off.  You get muscle by workin' dem muscles.

Ok! Enough babble, I know!  I would give each thing you want to try 4-6 weeks of solid, consistent effort.  Then move on to the next thing if you're not diggin' what you're doing.

Steve's set up some great resources that you may have come across already.  They're great place for beginners, and they're definitely effective.  AND I think doing either of them will give you a nice little introduction to most of the important movements. Oh, and you can do them anywhere.

Angry birds!

Beginner bodyweight!

If you're up for joining a gym that's not CF then I would make sure they don't mind lifting the heavy weights (basically: avoid planet fitness) and I'd pick up a copy of Starting Strength.  Great read, very informative, a newbie must, imho.  There are ample other resources but that's about as basic as it gets, me thinks. He lays out a plan in there, too.  You can also look up stronglifts, which is a free ebook.  It's very similar to starting strength but with more sets (5x5 setxrep instead of 3x5) and pendlay rows instead of cleans (which I prefer only b/c I'm entirely uncoordinated).

As far as cardio goes... running, jogging, hill sprints (these are a little more intense than straight cardio), interval training (my preference, you can do almost anything this way), tabata anything, etc. 

My last bit of advice would be to make sure you walk at least 5 days a week for 20-30 minutes.  You don't have to speed walk, or power walk, or anything like that.  Just make sure you get out of your chair and walk.  You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Oooh, you sound like you'll benefit a bunch from joining in on a 6 week challenge! (and yes, I'm probably as excited as that sounds.. I know, it's the little things).

Well then!  Let's see..

It sounds like you've got a good idea about how to tackle the diet stuff at the moment. Small steps to remove the undesirables--check.

As far as activities go I'm going to go ahead and say it's time to try ALL THE THINGS! But not all at once :)   You could: lift heavy things (my preference), move your body weight in crazy ways (body weight training and/or parkour), run (but why? jk scouts <3), fight (boxing, kickboxing are both fn awesome and a little less touchy than wrestling), aerial fitness, pole dancing (hey, you never know), and/or drink the crossfit kool-aid. 

There are certainly many other options.. but that gives you an idea.

If you can afford something like Crossfit I'd recommend it.  They do almost everything I've mentioned above so you'd be exposed to fun, new things and it may help you narrow down what you're really interested in. A groupon or something would be a great way to try that.

Otherwise, the simplest go to plan for losing weight is resistance training + some cardio.  Sounds heinously boring, I know. BUT I find the resistance training in the form of lifting things up and putting them down is really fun.  And, what it comes down to, is that you need muscle to burn more fat and keep it off.  You get muscle by workin' dem muscles.

Ok! Enough babble, I know!  I would give each thing you want to try 4-6 weeks of solid, consistent effort.  Then move on to the next thing if you're not diggin' what you're doing.

Steve's set up some great resources that you may have come across already.  They're great place for beginners, and they're definitely effective.  AND I think doing either of them will give you a nice little introduction to most of the important movements. Oh, and you can do them anywhere.

Angry birds!

Beginner bodyweight!

If you're up for joining a gym that's not CF then I would make sure they don't mind lifting the heavy weights (basically: avoid planet fitness) and I'd pick up a copy of Starting Strength.  Great read, very informative, a newbie must, imho.  There are ample other resources but that's about as basic as it gets, me thinks. He lays out a plan in there, too.  You can also look up stronglifts, which is a free ebook.  It's very similar to starting strength but with more sets (5x5 setxrep instead of 3x5) and pendlay rows instead of cleans (which I prefer only b/c I'm entirely uncoordinated).

As far as cardio goes... running, jogging, hill sprints (these are a little more intense than straight cardio), interval training (my preference, you can do almost anything this way), tabata anything, etc. 

My last bit of advice would be to make sure you walk at least 5 days a week for 20-30 minutes.  You don't have to speed walk, or power walk, or anything like that.  Just make sure you get out of your chair and walk.  You'd be surprised at the difference it makes.

The 6 week challenge sounds great and I'll definitely look into them when I get into the swing of things!

Part of the reason I've hit a wall looking for activities is that well, I just don't find exercise stimulating, so I find moving my body without a definite purpose (i.e. somewhere to go, some concrete job to be done) boring. Add on top of that that I don't have many local potential activities or resources and that I don't feel safe in my neighborhood and it's a sure-fire recipe for sitting at home doing nothing!

So it's the double header, I don't walk or run already because I don't think to go out & walk/run because the idea of walking/running to circle back home doesn't appeal, and that I'm worried I'll get stabbed.

As for gyms, there are only two available that I know of, one is about 20 minutes walk away, costs £30 per month and is on the grounds of the local high school, and the other is around a 1 hour bus ride, and costs half as much. My free time is usually around midnight so there's not really a lot of options at that time.

I'm looking at Angry Birds and it seems good, so I'll try that to start off with but I'm just itching at the idea of something else that doesn't just feel like I'm sitting at home doing pushups etc.

Ugh. As a night shift worker, these are my IV. Despite the jitters, the occasional anxiety, and the spotty skin, I've yet to wean myself off them. At least I've gone sugar free!

I'm transitioning to caffeine tablets when needed and a non/low sugar energy drink in emergencies. It's tough, though, partly because they're so delicious, and partly because it means giving up doing my YouTube energy drink review videos!

Just finished my first Angry Birds - I had to pick an uncharacteristic heatwave day to start off! 

Squats (30): 15,20 (***)
Pushups (40): 10, 7, 10, 10, 9 (*)

One-Arm Rows (30): 15, 16 (***)
Planks (60s): 30s, 35s (***)

I'm sweating like a pig! But it's good because sweating definitely makes it feel like I'm actually doing something!

This has pretty much reaffirmed what I'd considered to be my level of fitness. I'll take it pretty easy tomorrow, and then jump back in on Friday! 

Sweaty is sexy!!!

Welcome! Miss Laura already gave you some good advice so I just wanted to say hi! Good call on reducing the energy drinks.

I mainline coffee in the morning (I will never be good at getting up for work) but I drink it black :D

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I might need to go back to Coffee :P

Spent the whole day aching and tense, actually funny how difficult it's been to sit on the toilet even!

Having to kind of adopt the position and fall into place :P

At the same time I've been feeling a bit like... I want to do another workout, but as soon as I start moving around I realise why I need this off-day!

I've got about 6 weeks until the next convention (Ayacon in Coventry) which is when I'll definitely break diet, and then it's a straight run to Xmas with only a one-day con (MCM Scotland), a two-day video games event (Play Expo! Absolutely amazing event for anyone in the North of England) and my birthday as hiccups! After Xmas there's a solid 3 months until the wedding and I'm hoping by that point to be well in the swing of things!

Ugh. As a night shift worker, these are my IV. Despite the jitters, the occasional anxiety, and the spotty skin, I've yet to wean myself off them. At least I've gone sugar free!

I'm a night shift worker too (nurse in intensive care. ... it's hectic and stuff)

I still drink coffee.... lost almost a hundred pounds. ... coffee/caffeine is not the enemy It's what you put in it that's the enemy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Agreed.  That will eventually decrease a lot.  And it's always good to take a day in between workouts.  I find the leisurely walking helps a lot.  Blood flow to the sore muscles is a key ingredient in relief of teh DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).  Oddly enough, your next workout is likely to help you feel less sore.  Totally counter intuitive, I know.

Coffee and caffeine are really, really hard things to cut down on and cut out.  I literally worked on this this challenge.  I've moved off coffee and to tea for the most part... so less caffeine over all.  It wasn't easy and I wasn't consuming a ton to begin with.  So, I'd take it slow and make baby steps there.  Working on your diet, starting an exercise plan AND trying to battle the caffeine dragon all at once probably doesn't SOUND like a lot (it didn't to me) but it's pretty taxing on you mentally and physically.  True story. I definitely felt the repercussions.  SO, take it slow, any progress is progress and that's key.

Also, sounds like you really know what's coming up that will be harder for good food choices, etc.  That's important.  It's life, after all, ya gotta live it.  Things like poor food choices at a convention weekend won't ruin you unless you let them.  Last xmas I easily ate 4 dozen cookies. true story.  Work on the diet in the mean time (which you're doing), enjoy the frak out of yourself at these events, etc, and get right back on track the following day. 

I'm not too worried, a 3-day con is also when I get the most exercise! Lots of stairs, lots of running around, lots of gymnastics to get that shot just right! The food element is a pain, but I'll be back on again soon as I get home.

Just did Angry Birds workout #2, 

Squats: (L2, 50) 20,25,10 (**)
Pushups: (L1, 40) 10,12,8,7 (0)
Bent Over Rows: (L2, 20) 15, 15 (***)
Planks: (L2, 120s) 45s,40s,30s,30s (*)

Super sweaty again! Need to work on my arm strength, pushups are still kicking my ass!
Also not sure where to go with the Back Exercise? I don't have anywhere at all to do pull-ups and I don't feel ready for them yet. Are there any alternatives that are less space intensive?

Pencilling in my next workout for Monday! 

Most excellent!

Yes! Here is a video Steve made.  These are a great modification. 

Hmmmm, well if you can't MacGyver anything then I'd honestly say it's fine to do more bent over rows and/or push ups in place of those. 

Yeah, problem is that I can't add a pull-up bar because of the walls here - no decent structural integrity. I can't even have shelves! And no scope for the inverted rows until I can actively macgyver something specifically for that, which will be a while considering this is day 3 :tongue:

As it is I'm pencilling in for double the Bent Over Rows, so 40 reps overall.

Okay! Angry Birds #3 complete! Definitely reaching a plateau so that means more hard work is coming! Awesome! (I'm trying to adopt a Fake It Till You Make It attitude)

Squats (L2, 50) 18, 22, 15 (**)
Pushups (L1, 40) 12, 10, 10, 9 (*)
Back Exercise (L3, 40 Bent Over Rows) 22,15,12 (**)
Planks (L2, 120s) 55s,45s,40s (**)

So a lot of 2-stars, whereas last time there was at least one 3-star! It's early days though, and that's exactly why I'm excited about the Angry Birds program - it stays challenging! Very happy to see my Pushups getting even a little better. The weather has cooled down a little but I'm burning hot!

This is also a first in that this is the first time I've worked around my schedule at work - the last two times I had plenty of time around my shift to do this before (i.e. an evening shift) or after (an early morning shift) but today I went to work, came home, and then worked out. If I can do it today I can do it almost any day! 
Pencilling in my next workout on Wednesday, and then a week on Wednesday I'll be appraising any kind of improvement appearance-wise.

Angry Birds #4 down

Squats (L2, 50) 25, 25 (***)

Pushups (L1, 40) 14,12,14 (**)

Back Exercise (L3, 4 Bent Over Rows) 15, 20, 15 (**)
Planks (L2, 120s) 40s,45s,40s (**)

Definitely improving.

Sorry if this becoming closer to a Battle Log, but I'm only a week in, and I want to make sure I get this to stick before I buckle down and get serious with a battle log etc.

It's said that when you think of making a change, you have to make that change within 3 days of deciding, or your chances of starting fall by 90%
And you should keep up the change for a month, or your chances of keeping it up over the long term fall by 90%

Don't worry!  Post here as much as you want!  It's great to post about it and it's awesome to read about your improvements :)