These are the ones I use, they are comfy, sturdy and easy to adjust. I would definitely recommend them, or any brand that has this same design.

http://store.justanotherwod.com/jaw-wrist-straps/

Thanks! I'll look into it :) I'm trying to find some on a UK site but it's proving slightly harder. I've been sent a link to some fun ones on a US site but the shipping costs are going to bump up the price a bit....

Day Eighteen - 19th July

Squat: 1x4 52.5kg / 5/5/5/5 40kg

Bench: 5x5 27.5kg

Row: 0/0/1/1/0 35kg

Back at the usual gym again and with Sam to help me out. After warming up for squats I attempted 52.5kg again, got 4 reps but with bad form. After that Sam put some tape on the back of my hands so I can feel the right position to have them in, and we dropped the weight down to 40kg so that I can work on form. I really need to work on my back being rounded. I tried to keep my chest up and back straight, breaking from my hips first and then getting as deep as possible, keeping my knees out as I came back up rather than letting them fall in as they have been doing with heavier weights.

Anyway, I’ve failed that weight 3 times now, so I’ll be de-loading on Monday, and I have been given the task of completing 100 reps of these today -

Fuck yeah bench! Finally got 5x5 on 27.5kg :D Looking forward to seeing how 30kg goes.

Oh rows… how do I hate thee? let me count the ways…. 

failed three times, so de-loading next time. However, my form is rather good (I’ll post a pic) so it’s a strength thing, and I’m getting stronger, so I’ll be back at 35 soon hopefully and getting 5x5. 

"Strong people don’t put others down… They lift them up"

Battle Log      Instagram      YouTube

Day Nineteen - 22nd July

Realised I should start writing my warm up weights too…

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 30kg // 5x5 42.5kg

Bench: 2x5 20kg // 3/3/2/2/1 30kg

Row: 1x5 25kg // 5x5 30kg

So I’m working my way back up to 52.5kg on squats and today I had my heels raised on some plates to get deeper. It worked really well, but I was feeling fairly knackered after the weekend so it felt heavier than it should, and also, whoever said that exercising takes your mind of cramps is a damned liar because I was in so.much.pain. Anyway, I got 5x5 and I’m going to do more mobility work today.

We did rows next because the bench was being used. I’m happy with my form on that, and I got 5x5 on 30kg, hopefully I can work back up and do 35kg without much of a struggle.

Bench was ok considering. I know it took me a while to get 27.5kg, and I think that if I hadn’t worked out a better form then I would have struggled more. 5x5 on Friday or I’ll be tres unhappy.

Day Twenty - 26th July

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 32.5kg // 5x5 45kg

OHP: 2x5 15kg // 5x5 19kg

Deadlift: 2x5 25kg // 1x5 35kg // 1x5 57.5kg

It felt good to not fail on anything! But I’m still working my way back up with squats & OHP. 

I struggled with squats though, the bar is still feeling heavier to me than it should, I know I’ve done these weights before, but I was struggling on them before… My mobility is still awful, I’m not getting enough depth, my right knee is falling in, my back is still rounding over and I don’t think I’m very controlled either. Maybe another video is required on Friday.

OHP was fine, felt very easy, no problems there really. So it’ll be interesting to see how I find it when I’m back to 21kg at the end of next week.

Deadlift made me very happy, I’m pretty sure I have good form and my grip is definitely improving. 60kg next Monday!!

Sam kept going with deadlifts for a while after I’d finished my set so I worked on my grip a bit more, I held the bar for as long as I could (20 seconds) then hung from the whateverit’scalled a couple of times. The last time I tried lifting myself up a bit and lifted my legs too, keeping them nice & straight, that felt good :) Still working on the un-assisted chin-up goal!

Seems like people have stopped reading this, which is a shame because I was enjoying getting feedback, but I'll keep updating it for a while though...

Day Twenty One - 26th July

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 30kg // 5x5 47.5kg

Bench: 2x5 20kg // 4/3/2/2/2 30kg

Row: 1x5 25kg // 4/4/3/5/4 32.5kg

I was worrying about squats this morning because I did something on Wednesday to mess up my left hip, not sure how I did it or if it was from the gym or not. It still really hurts now, but it didn’t seem to effect squats, which went ok. 

I thought that bench was a lift that I was good at, but apparently not. I failed for the second time on 30kg, only doing slightly better than the first attempt on Monday. Time to watch a load of videos. An extra problem was that I let it get to me, I really tried to shake it off and focus but once it’s in my head it’s difficult to overcome. Once I’m in a bad mood about something, I start thinking about everything else that’s getting me down.

So when it came to rows, which I already don’t like, I was trying so hard to focus on that and nothing else. Looking back through my log I got 5x5 32.5kg no problem the first time I tried it, yet today I couldn’t.

I’m very glad that it’s Friday and therefore no gym till Monday and I have going to see 'The World's End' to look forward to this weekend :)

Hey, just read through your log.. pretty impressive stuff I reckon!

I really can't offer any advise on the stuff you do as I don't have a clue as have never done anything like that. I think you'll find that there are plently of people reading it, just not people commenting on it currently.. if that makes you feel better :)

Anyways, keep up the good work, your doing great

:nevreness:

Day by day, week by week, I will get there!

Hey, just read through your log.. pretty impressive stuff I reckon!

I really can't offer any advise on the stuff you do as I don't have a clue as have never done anything like that. I think you'll find that there are plently of people reading it, just not people commenting on it currently.. if that makes you feel better :)

Anyways, keep up the good work, your doing great

:nevreness:

Thanks! :D

I was thinking how brave you are posting your diet on your log! I never want to post mine, I always think about it when I've been eating well and sticking at paleo, but then I spoil it by having fajitas, or a massive Dominos pizza! (last night) :P

Heya honey, I agree with Kime - I always enjoy reading your blog and following your process, its motivating :)

I thought that bench was a lift that I was good at, but apparently not. I failed for the second time on 30kg, only doing slightly better than the first attempt on Monday. Time to watch a load of videos. An extra problem was that I let it get to me, I really tried to shake it off and focus but once it’s in my head it’s difficult to overcome. Once I’m in a bad mood about something, I start thinking about everything else that’s getting me down.

So when it came to rows, which I already don’t like, I was trying so hard to focus on that and nothing else. Looking back through my log I got 5x5 32.5kg no problem the first time I tried it, yet today I couldn’t.

Everyone has good days, bad days, Fridays and low days so don't let a disappointing session define your measures of success..

Finding your limits doesn't mean your no good at it, it just means you have to strengthen and build new muscle to overcome it.

Building new muscle isnt always going to show as a linear growth on a week to week basis - it goes through bouts of waves and cycles.

Everyone goes through periods of growth and periods of building regardless of programming. (Just because I hit a new 1RM tomorrow doesn't mean I will consistently be able to hit that higher weight every time onwards or improve upon it on every occasion just because I did it once, but it certainly doesn't take it away from me!)

I don't know if anything I just vomited was helpful, but what I'm trying to articulate is that your training program of 5x5 is a heavy load. Its designed to fatigue you, recruit the bigger muscle groups and build new muscle! the consistent training schedule is also meant to fatigue you... So your not always going to see improvements in sessions but it doesn't mean that you aren't building new muscle, and will pull out something special with a bit of rest :)

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!†–Audrey Hepburn

Thanks! I was worried no one was reading it anymore!!

Thank you for the pep-talk :) I'm thinking about using muscle growth as an excuse to go back to sleep after the gym :tongue:

I'm also not sure if my calorie intake is right. I've been eating a calorie deficit recently and with the 5x5 program I'm staying the same weight. I'm worried about eating more and putting the wrong kind of weight on! I do try a bit eat more on gym days though.

I've been meaning to ask you about paleo, I'm coping ok with it for lunch, dinner and snacks. But I don't really like cooking food for breakfast, what do you have at breakfast that doesn't require cooking? At the moment I'm having a bowl of Bran Flakes or Granola, I know it's not paleo but I'm justifying it because it's not Coco Pops! 

Lol, you might laugh at my laziness, but I either cook 2 eggs in the microwave at work (takes 1 min and 5 sec roughly in a microwave soup cup) - sometimes Ill scramble it for something diff and add a bit of spinach or I tend to eat a banana myself...

I wasn't exaggerating when I said 5x5 is a heavy load (its seriously impressive honey!) - so def don't be afraid to increase your calories, otherwise you won't be fuelling your body to repair itself and build new muscles! Weight training also increases your metabolism afterwards so if your eating at a deficit your not going to just lose fat, you could lose Valuable muscle too :(

I think there are plenty of posts and articles around NF that talk about this topic that will reassure you and give u proper guidance on how much u should be eatiing

My Paleo breakfasts during the week are 2 boiled eggs, every day. I boiled up 10 eggs a the beginning of the week, and eat them cold in the morning. I know it doesnt sound very appealing, but I  like it. I have never had breakfast before (no joke), and the eggs are easy as I can eat them while I make my daughters lunch. Truth is - I'd rather sleep for an extra 20 mins that get up 20 mins earlier to make something better. Lol, least I'm honest!

Day by day, week by week, I will get there!

Looks like eggs are the way forward! I'm the same with effort in the morning, I really can't be bothered to cook much, even though I have the time since I'm currently looking for work! 

I'll keep looking in the forums for paleo advice. I did find one woman's post for an english paleo blog which is helpful for finding ingredients and quantities being in measurements that I'm used to! 

I've started looking at the labels more when I'm in the supermarket :) it's the whole will-power thing that I need to work on!

Day Twenty Two - 29th July

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 35kg // 5x5 50kg

OHP: 5x5 20kg

Deadlift: 1x5 35kg // 1x5 60kg

This morning started off well, I weighed myself and I weighed less than usual (63.2kg) even though I didn’t eat too well this weekend. Got to the gym and warmed up, I was feeling tight and struggling to get depth, but I did some extra stretches and that helped. Then at the start of my second set my shorts tore. This didn’t make me feel great because to me it meant that I’ve got a massive arse. I pulled my shorts up so that they wouldn’t stretch so much when I squat down, but it meant that I could see more of my legs. Out of all the things about myself that I don’t like, I hate my legs the most. Below the knee is fine, but it’s the fat, dimpled thighs that I can’t stand. So that made me more upset. I went for the third set and I was feeling really dizzy and not well at all. I wanted some support from my bf, but he clearly wasn’t in a sympathetic mood because he told me to “fuck off".

Now I don’t like it when he tells people on his blog about me when it’s not relevant to his workout (like when he told everyone about me falling over and they all had a good laugh at my expense). But I feel like this is very relevant to my work out, because obviously that did not help me in anyway.

I kept it together and got on with the rest of the sets, then got through OHP as quickly as possible, getting 5x5, then I got my new PR for deadlift.

I should have been really happy about getting 5x5 60kg on deadlift, and Sam should have been there congratulating me. But obviously that didn’t happen.

I finished and went up to the changing room, where I was so angry/upset that I could barely breath properly. :(

Hopefully Wednesday will be better.

Wow! 5x5 @ 50kg squats - you smashed that out of the ball park honey, well done!!

Sounds like your bf is just being a boy.. sometimes they just don't get it and don't realize the impact there careless attitude and actions can have on us :(

just don't mull over it or let it fester, tell him you need he's support, hell he should be behind you spotting your lifts and motivating you as your partner! He wouldnt of treated his wing man the same I bet..

Get pumped, Wednesday you will kickarse!!

Thanks :) I'm hoping I can get 5x5 52.5kg on Wednesday. I'm still trying to get my goal of squatting bodyweight by my holiday! Friday I'll be deadlifting bodyweight!

It really sucked that he said that. He usually does spot me and shout out encouragement when I'm struggling. The problem is that I'm still learning and I want to take my time, otherwise I know I'll rush and do something wrong! But we're always on a tight schedule so that he's not late for work, and today he had an online 'meet' so he was trying to get PRs. He was pissed off because we didn't have enough time, so he took it out on me. Not fair really! I think you're right, if it had been any of the guys he talks to on SL he wouldn't have been so rude!

Right, Wednesday I'm going kick arse!! :)

I played squash for the first time last night! It was fun, but I'm used to badminton so the racket felt really heavy! One thing I did notice, despite that I'm really not very good at it, was that even though I was pouring sweat, I wasn't out of breath. Cardio and I wasn't out of breath? Crazy! 

Had to youtube squash to find out what it is; American, I know lol. Funny, my brother and I would play our version of squash when we were younger in the courts at my dad's gym. Quite the workout that I remember hahaha.

When I lift with my brother, we have to do all our lifts at once before the other person gets to lift. It's hard for us to focus on our lifts if we have to stop and spot each other in between. I usually lift first with him spotting then we flip and I spot for him (pretty sure I wouldn't be of much help but still there for moral support)

Also without me knowing it (brother was adding weight), I squatted 145lb (~65kg). A new PR for me :D

Day Twenty Three - 31st July

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 35kg // 2x5 52.5kg

And… that’s it. 

I’m a bit annoyed. The reason why I didn’t carry on is because I gave blood last night and apparently I don’t cope with that too well! It’s the third time I’ve donated and each time I’ve been close to fainting. But I figure that people in hospitals needing blood are in a worse situation than me feeling faint. 

I really thought I’d be ok for this morning’s workout though! I did my warm ups, and felt a bit iffy but started with my workout weight, by the end of the second set I felt worse but thought I’d keep helping Sam out loading the bar, lifting the 20kg plates up onto the bar was what tipped things though. I really thought that I was going to fall over and my hearing wasn’t great. So that was it. End of workout. Boo!

On the plus side though, I didn’t struggle as much as I did before with 52.5kg, so hopefully on Friday I’ll get 5x5 on that for the first time. Time for lots of rest & some stretching so that I don’t fail! 

Day Twenty Four - 2nd August

Squat: 2x5 20kg // 1x5 30kg // 5x5 52.5kg

OHP: 1x5 20kg // 5x5 21kg

Deadlift: 1x5 35kg // 1x6 62.5kg WOO!

I actually started with deadlift today. Sam was focussing on his meet and so it made more sense for me to do a different lift to save changing the weights so much. He was actually lifting in between another guy in the gym, who luckily knew what he was doing & offered a lot of advice (that I listened to as well!). I did my 1x5 body weight deadlift! :D then I did another one to get another picture of it. 

I moved onto OHP next, it was a bit awkward because the rack was still being used, I did a warm up set somewhere else, then moved back to the rack. It was a bit of a struggle towards the end but not as bad as it has been and I’m really happy that I got 5x5 finally!

I finally got 5x5 on 52.5kg squat too! There was one rep that maybe wasn’t low enough, but as I went on with sets I made sure to get depth. I also focussed on a spot that the other guy talked about, and that helped. And I’ve been making sure that my wrists are straight. In the process of making sure they’re straight, the bar moved lower on my back and that was definitely a better position than it has been, which meant that my back didn’t round over, I could get better depth, and coming out of the hole wasn’t such a struggle. My knees even didn’t drift in! 

I know that it’s something that people have talked about before, but I think I also had to find it out for myself. And also get over the fact that having the bar lower hurts my shoulder blade! But oh well, no pain no gain and all that jazz!

The bar hurting my back did make me think of this though (skip to 43 seconds, tried to post the vid so it would start at that point but it isn't working!) - 

Here's some pics of me from this morning deadlifting 62.5kg. I wasn't sure about posting them, because I really don't like the pictures! Apart from them not being the best quality (stupid phone), I also look awful! My arse sticks out and my back is arched, my face isn't very nice to look at either and my legs are just weird. I really don't like looking at them! I'm trying to focus more on what I achieved though, and not what I look like... but I wouldn't be winning beauty contests any time soon!

tumblr_mqwc17uRZd1sv7393o1_500.jpgtumblr_mqwcbwN1Ug1sv7393o1_500.jpg

Thanks for the response! :)

I'm really feeling it this weekend, after trying to get depth on squats! I've always known that I have tight calves, I've been told by a few physios, and my hamstrings and quads are fairly painful. So Sam foam rolled my legs last night and jesus christ that hurts!! We had a pretty obvious safe word of 'stop', which I tried not to use too often, but that did mean that I was crying/laughing and screaming. People walking by must have wondered what we were up to!! I know it's necessary, it'll help for when I squat a new weight tomorrow and obviously in the future. But damn it's painful!

Things are also looking up outside of the gym at the moment. I haven't been feeling too great recently due to my unemployment, being sat in a flat on my own during the day worrying about money isn't great. But I have an 'assessment day' for a new White Stuff store that's opening near me and I'm feeling quite positive. Though I did feel positive about my last job interview for French Connection and I didn't get that because the manager thought that I wouldn't "gel" with some members of staff!

So tomorrow has the potential to go either way, I could either A) fail horrendously at the gym, feel crap, get to the assessment day, not perform well and not get the job, or.... B ) Hit all 5x5's at the gym, feel like a BOSS, nail the assessment day, get a job, and celebrate appropriately. (and I was imagining an Edgar Wright style montage then - "Take car, go to Mum's, kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.")