Vixen's Battle Log!

Hey,

I have just started my first serious foray into strength training and decided that keeping a log was a great way to keep me motivated and accountable. I have always been fairly active - I played representative netball and danced in high school, and since then have walked/jogged regularly, and have been getting into bodyweight exercises every couple of months until i fall of the wagon and become lazy again!

After speaking to some enthusiastic friends and jumping on the computer to do some further 'research' i decided it was time to give some weight lifting a go! At this point my goals are to build some strength and muscle, and hopefully get rid of this skinny-fat thing I have going on.

My Stats

5'10''

140lbs

~20.2% BF (according to the tape measure method)

Recently

Over the last month or so I have joined the local gym, had a few PT sessions and been to the gym at least 3 times every week. I have also just started StrongLifts 5x5. What I've found out is my upper body is really weak compared to my lower body and needs some serious work - but hey my lower body isn't that great either. I am finally starting to get used to the gym and all the people in the free weights room but have been feeling seriously intimidated.

One thing i have really noticed so far with this different type of training is it is a completely different type of exhaustion. I almost feel like i haven't done enough because it is so different to doing , say and hour of cardio. And then i will leave the gym and get in the car and realise that my limbs are complete jello!!

SL 5x5 Weights so far:

• Squat: I can finally squat with the bar! :) although i think i will stick to the bar a bit longer before adding weight as I am just not sure on my form, it all seems so difficult.
  • Bench Press 12.5kg (27.5lbs)
  • OHP 12.5kg (27.5lbs)
  • Rows 15kg (33lbs)
  • Deadlift 25kg (55lbs) - I am really struggling with this one. My form looks right and know all the theory about how i should be doing it but it just feels wrong! I will be getting help on this sometime this week hopefully. 

I have definitely noticed my strength improving and it is such a great feeling when you realize you have just done something you wouldn't have been able to do before. I think i am actually a little addicted to it all at the moment as I am always wanting to go to the gym and try things out again. I feel a bit silly in the gym with such small weights but i keep reminding myself that everyone has to start somewhere.

Also, my DOMS was sooooo bad to begin with - there was one day when I couldnt even get my second leg in the car! but this has greatly improved to the point where I am barely sore anymore. I kind of miss the feeling that i had worked hard but i think its for the best!

My Plans:

• Make it to the gym 3 - 4 times a week
  • Make sure to make some sort of progress at the gym every time (even if it is only small - like slightly better form, or slightly more weight)
  • Eat more, but cleaner! I have been on about 1400 calories for most of the year so I am trying to stick with eating more (at about maintenance)

I hope to put these plans into proper goals and participate in the next challenge :)

Would love to hear anyone's comments on what I am doing!

Lozz

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Went to the gym again this morning. Think it was the most I ever pushed myself! was there for an hour and left shaking and covered in sweat (which is a strange occurrence for me!). Felt great! 

I put plates on the bar for my squat for the first time - granted they were only 2.5kg plates, but that puts my squat up to 25kg (55lbs) and i think my form must be improving slightly, i can definitely get below parallel and i have worked out that i have to squeeze my glutes to get out of the hole, rather then what i was doing before with BW, which i assume was using my back. Having trouble keeping my left knee out when i start to get tired though. I have dislocated this knee a couple of times so i just need to keep working on it. I definitely feel i can up the weight again next time :) 

Was hoping to try the 15kg for bench press today but the pre-weighted bar was being used so i stuck with 12.5kg and tried to work on my form. i think it was sllightly better then last time. I also used 12.5 for the rows which is a step backwards but didnt feel ready to move up to 17.5 yet.

Did 5x5 curls with the 12.5 bar - when i first started i couldnt even lift this once,  let alone 25 times! definitely progress

tricep dips 2 x 5

Plank 1min (also improving)

Goblet squats 5x5 (to try and work on my form) 15kg kettlebell - although i was so tired from my previous squats i was really happy with these. definitely tired me out but i was getting ATG for the first time ever and Im starting to really understand the cues i need - ribs back, core tight, squeeze glutes coming up. might continue giving these a go when i can.

Very happy to see some slow progress. definite goal - i want to be able to atleast squat my bodyweight before i finish this round of SL 5x5. Being a female I wont be able to progress as fast as some of the guys on this program but damn im going to give it my best!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Went to the gym again yesterday :-

• 30kg squats (+5 from the last time)
  • 30kg deadlift  - definitely think i can lift more than this but I'm still trying to get a feel for this exercise!
  • 15kg OHP (+2.5 from last time)
  • 15kg Barbell curls (+2.5 from last time). This has definitely improved since the beginning when i couldn't even lift 12.5kg for one rep - let alone 5x5!
  • 30kg Lat Pulldowns
  • 1min Plank

I am really enjoying squats - and got really excited to up the weight again :) getting to the end of my last set though was difficult so I know i am pushing myself! and can feel it today!! really enjoying the gym in general actually and have to stop myself from going too often as my body is definitely telling me i need recovery time

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Last night's workout felt really good!!

Squats - 32.5kg/71.5lbs (+2.5 as per SL). After the last workout at 30kg i though i would struggle upping the weight, but nope! felt really good and probably could have gotten a few more reps out in the last set if i'd had to!

Barbell Rows - 20kg/44lbs (+7.5). last time I did these they felt too easy so i upped the weights. could probably be doing more but I am feeling a bit sore today

Bench - 17.5kg/38.5lbs (+5). was only meant to do 15 but the 15 bar wasnt available so i decided to do 17.5 :) will be moving up to the oly bar next time as I didnt find this too bad at all. Its really exciting since I would never have been able to do this before

Curls - 12.5kg/27.5lbs since 15kg wasnt available. getting much easier!

Lat Pulldown - 35kg/77lbs (+5)

Although I am really trying with my form in every lift, I still never know whether i am doing it correctly and currently have no way of filming!! I now have someone coming with me all next week (a powerlifter) to help me and make sure I am doing it right - hopefully that all goes well :)

Also, i really cant wait to join in on the next 6 week challenge!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

So last Friday i had my 3rd workout for the week. It was horrible!

I was tired, hungry and didnt particularly feel up to the workout to begin with but I persevered and went anyway. The squat rack was busy when i got there so i decided to do bench press and OHP first. Bench went great - 5x5 @ 20kg - finally used the proper Oly bar, although i did find it quite easy :)

OHP was really difficult - 4x5 @ 17.5kg so i will be repeating this weight again next time.

Finally got into the squat rack and started my warmups and then 35kg. All was going well (despite the weight being tough), and i was in the leg room all by myself until a large group of guys came in, nearly took over the rack until I mentioned i was still using it, and then they went on setting up around me loudly and complaining about the rack not being available. Then they started making really rude comments to me - sleazy comments about my ass when I was squatting, about my form being terrible when I know the things they were saying weren't true and just generally being nasty towards me. I finished off deadlifts quickly 1x5 @ 35kg - i had wanted to try >40kg but i was so worked up by what the guys were going on about that I just kept the same weight on the bar as the squats. Usually i would do some other stuff after my main workout - like curls, lat pulldown, planks etc but i just walked out of the gym straight away. I had so far been really impressed with how friendly people had been but now Im a little turned off going back again - i know I have to so i can get over it but I'm not looking forward to it.

Anyway, hoping to make it back this afternoon and take someone with me.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

With the encouragement of someone at the gym last night I added 7.5kg (16.5lbs) to my bench, and 5kg (11lbs) to my rows :) Also got some good tips on form - particularly for the bench press.

Squat:

1x5 @ 20kg

1x3 @ 35kg

5x5 @ 35kg

I stuck with 35kg squats because i found them really tough last time and wanted to make sure i did them with good form before I moved up.

Bench Press:

3x5 @ 20kg

2x5 @ 22.5kg

2x3 @ 25kg

1x2 @ 27.5kg

Rows:

2x5 @ 20kg

5x5 @ 25kg

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Great !!!! Go on !!!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

So this morning I took measurements and weighed myself for the first time in about 3 weeks.

my weight has gone up about 1.7kg - I sort of expected this! and not too bothered since ....

All my measurements (with a tape measure) have either stayed the same or gone down!! :) My thighs in particular have gotten smaller by a couple of inches. The only place that went up in size was my chest which i really cant complain about haha

Very happy :)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

So this morning I took measurements and weighed myself for the first time in about 3 weeks.

my weight has gone up about 1.7kg - I sort of expected this! and not too bothered since ....

All my measurements (with a tape measure) have either stayed the same or gone down!! :) My thighs in particular have gotten smaller by a couple of inches. The only place that went up in size was my chest which i really cant complain about haha

Very happy :)

Hey Vixen68 !!! That sounds promissing ! getting fitter and fitter!

So your program works fine ! keep pace !!!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Hey! Looks like you're making some really good progress, well done! :) I'm also doing SL 5x5 I started nearly 2 months ago now. I also struggle on OHP, and getting depth on squats is difficult! Do you go on mobilitywod.com? I tried to find the link but it doesn't seem to be working, so here's the YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/blogs/mobilitywod/videos I have his book and find it very useful! I've got some great form advice from asking people here on NF too :)

"Strong people don’t put others down… They lift them up"

Battle Log      Instagram      YouTube

Hey! Looks like you're making some really good progress, well done! :) I'm also doing SL 5x5 I started nearly 2 months ago now. I also struggle on OHP, and getting depth on squats is difficult! Do you go on mobilitywod.com? I tried to find the link but it doesn't seem to be working, so here's the YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/blogs/mobilitywod/videos I have his book and find it very useful! I've got some great form advice from asking people here on NF too :)

Thanks for the tips. I have been on the site before but haven't looked at much - maybe I'll go back for another go! I have definitely found the threads here helpful - now just trying to get my body to do what I want it too!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

I always do the hip-opener exercise before squats! and more mobility work after the gym & on days off. :)
I know the feeling of trying to get your body to do what you want! It's so frustrating, but I got a dress a size down the other day after worrying because my weight hadn't gone down on the scales! I update my battle log regularly if you ever want a read :)
Good luck!

"Strong people don’t put others down… They lift them up"

Battle Log      Instagram      YouTube

Good work !

I am sure it will be useless advices but just in case.....Use stretching to recover faster and get more strengh !

And breath when making you weightlifting (ok the rest of the time too ;) ) !

Levelling up !!!!!

Bruce Lee

Good work !

I am sure it will be useless advices but just in case.....Use stretching to recover faster and get more strengh !

And breath when making you weightlifting (ok the rest of the time too ;) ) !

Levelling up !!!!!

Yep i keep getting told about the breathing so definitely working on it!! :) Thanks for the tips

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Friday's Workout :-

Was tired and had been feeling crappy all day but decided i had to go to the gym anyway. It showed in my lifts that I was tired compared to my other workouts during the week but I am glad i made the effort!

Squats:

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 3

40kg x 5/5/3/5/4 - third set I got really lightheaded after three and stopped. Last set i also got really lightheaded and my vision went black after three reps and had to stand there with the bar till it passed but continued on and failed my last rep.

30kg x 5

Bench:

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5/5/4/5/4

Row:

15kg x 5/5/5/5/5/3

I already knew I had low blood pressure, and that exercise lowered it even more - but it is really bothering me while lifting. On more then one occasion i have lost vision just after a lift. back to see the Doc about it i think.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Friday's Workout :-

Was tired and had been feeling crappy all day but decided i had to go to the gym anyway. It showed in my lifts that I was tired compared to my other workouts during the week but I am glad i made the effort!

Squats:

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 3

40kg x 5/5/3/5/4 - third set I got really lightheaded after three and stopped. Last set i also got really lightheaded and my vision went black after three reps and had to stand there with the bar till it passed but continued on and failed my last rep.

30kg x 5

Bench:

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5/5/4/5/4

Row:

15kg x 5/5/5/5/5/3

I already knew I had low blood pressure, and that exercise lowered it even more - but it is really bothering me while lifting. On more then one occasion i have lost vision just after a lift. back to see the Doc about it i think.

Sure go and see the doctor, it is safer !!!!

Bruce Lee

I have actually been to the doctor about this before but i wasnt lifting at the time - the doctor just shrugged it off as low blood pressure is better then high blood pressure. hopefully the fact that i am dealing with big weights while having these problems will make it a more important matter for them to deal with!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Monday's Workout: (29/07/13)

Goblet Squat (kettlebell): - The squat rack was occupied and also being waited on so I decided to do these instead. felt easy compared to trying to do 12kg when i first started but my hip is also hurting when i squat so it was good to give it a break. continued a short workout in the squat rack afterwards
16kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Barbell Squat:
20kg x 5/5
30kg x 5

Deadlift:
40kg x 5
50kg x 3
60kg x 1
65kg x 1/1  - HIT BODYWEIGHT DL FOR 2 SINGLES :) WOOHOO

Press
15kg x 5/5/5/5/5
20kg x 3

Barbell Curl:
15kg x 5/5/5

Pretty happy about hitting the BW DL - First goal completed .. now just have to keep increasing it!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior