Vixen's Battle Log!

Congratulations on getting bodyweight deadlift! :D I bet that felt so good, I'm hoping to do mine on Friday! :/ Aiming for 1x5 but we'll see... 

Yep definitely felt so good. I did one, was so happy with myself that i decided to do another!! :D

Goodluck with yours!! let me know how it goes!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

So yesterday (30/7/2013) I did quite a bit of walking - I walk to and from work to the train station everyday anyway (~20min fast paced). but for work I also had to run a few errands which required walking, which I did at a fast pace to make it worthwhile!! 

I also did BW squats at work - my hip is hurting in squats and similar movements so I wanted to try and stretch it out a little before my next gym session. Anyone have any tips on this type of pain? I have been told it is probably my hip flexor!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Wednesday's workout:

Since my Hip has been giving me grief i started with warmup on the treadmill and some mobility work (~10min)

Squats:

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 5

40kg x 3/3/3

30kg x 5/5/5/5/5

By the time i got to 40kg, i knew that my hip was going to give me problems so i pumped out 3x3 and then dropped back to 30kg to work on form and see how it went.

Bench Press:

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5/5/5/5/5

These felt great tonight - not necessarily easy but i feel as if i am starting to get the hang of it.

Rows:

20kg (preweighted small bar) x 5/5/5/5

20kg (oly bar) x 5/5

Decided since i had hit 20kg that i would do my last set with the proper bar. Did my last set and it felt great so smashed out an extra one!

Lat Pulldowns:
35kg x 8/5/5/5/5

I finished off with some more stretching of my hips - wow it hurt!! my hip is really hurting after that workout and i think i will have to drastically or completely cut back my squats till i can deal with the problem but thats something im not really looking forward to. Will have a think about it ,..

(throughout the day - just coz i could)

Standing Calf Raises: 10/10

Incline pushup: 5

knee pushup: 3

Lozz

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Fridays Workout (2/8/13)

Had a small procedure on my arm yesterday and was specifically told not to lift weights for 48 hours but i couldnt help myself!! took it pretty easy except for DLs .

Did some hip stretching beforehand again and my hip is feeling a bit better - not ready to throw a lot of weight back on my squats yet though. Today since i wasnt supposed to be lifting I just used the bar and worked on form.

Squats:

BW x 5

BW to box x 5

20kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Deadlifts:

20kg x 5

50kg x 5

60kg x 1

70kg x 1 - new PR :)

Press:

15 x 5/5/5/5/5

Now im thinking i should have just listened to the doc - bit sore, but im happy I went and can now enjoy my weekend.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Saturday's workout 3/8/13

Was staying in a fancy hotel for the weekend so a friend and I visited the gym there first thing in the morning. there was tonnes of machines and no barbells so that was a bit of a bummer. I just messed around with some of the stuff there for awhile - nothing serious!

5min Treadmill Warmup

Dumbbell Bench Press

16kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Leg Press

40kg x 5/5/5/5/5/5

Squats

BW x 10

10kg (DB) Goblet squats x 5/10

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

You know, I thought about making a witty, smartass comment. Then I realized you're probably almost to the point where you could beat me up. Ahaha! Just keep that almost in mind, you can't take on the leader yet!

Though at the rate you keep progressing, despite injury, I'd only give it a few more weeks lol.

Keep up the good work!!!

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Wednesday's Workout 7/8/13

Stretching

- did a whole heap of hip flexor stretches to prepare for squats. took about 10min

Also did a few squat stretches throughout my breaks for squats.

Warmup

5min on treadmill

Bench

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5/5/5/5/10 - New PR for reps!

27.5kg x 5

30kg x 1 - New 1rm PR :)

Squat

BW x 10

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Getting back up closer to the weight were i decided to deload (40kg). With the stretches for my hip i think it is finally starting to feel better. It does still hurt when in the hole but it seems to be feeling better each time now instead of worse.

Rows

25kg x 5/5/5/5/5

After dropping the weight on this a bit the last 2 times i feel like i can target my upper back more in this exercise now.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

You know, I thought about making a witty, smartass comment. Then I realized you're probably almost to the point where you could beat me up. Ahaha! Just keep that almost in mind, you can't take on the leader yet!

Though at the rate you keep progressing, despite injury, I'd only give it a few more weeks lol.

Keep up the good work!!!

Lol thanks. Newbie gains - gotta love them!! :)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Monday's Workout 12/8/13

Had a huge weekend and still feeling horrible today - went to the gym anyway but didnt want to push myself too hard

5min treadmill warmup

10min hip stretching

Bench

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Squats

BW x 10

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Rows

20kg x 5/5/5/5/5

This was all with the Oly bar - before now (with the exception of one set tacked on the end) i have just been using the small pre-weighted bars. I like it with the oly bar as it means i need to stablise more and feel like i am getting more of a workout!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Very impressive !!! keep rocking !!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Wednesday's workout 14/8/13

Was feeling really off today before i went to the gym. I think i might be getting sick :( Decided to go anyway and push through it.

8min Treadmill warmup

10min Stretching

Squats

BW x 10

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 5

37.5kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Despite being in a cold sweat the entire time, i felt really good about these today. I definitely feel like i can go back up to 40kg next time which was my sticking point with my hip before i deloaded. 40kg was also the first weight i failed at so i guess i have been holding back a bit without a spotter but dont think it will be a problem next time around.

Deadlifts

40kg x 5 

50kg x 5

60kg x 5 - New PR for Reps

Press

17.5kg x 5/5/5/5/5 - New PR for reps

The 17.5 barbell in my gym is one of the bent ones (like an ez curl preweighted bar) so i have been putting off using it and increasing from 15kg for awhile. the 20kg bar still feels too heavy to get out all my sets - I can do it for 1x5 but i doubt i could for anymore so today i decided just to use the bent bar anywhere and see where it gets me! these felt heavy and the last reps were tough but felt like the weight i should be using!

Barbell Curls

12.5kg x 5

15kg x 5/5/5/5

5min Stretching

I guess its true what they say - you never really regret a workout and a sure as hell dont regret making the effort to do this one - but i am feeling a little worse for wear now!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

I already knew I had low blood pressure, and that exercise lowered it even more - but it is really bothering me while lifting. On more then one occasion i have lost vision just after a lift. back to see the Doc about it i think.

Hey Vixen - It is not uncommon for lifters to experience these types of symptoms. The heavy lift, particularly of the deadlift and squat can stimulate the vagus nerve (or vasovagal reflex), which causes an acute bradycardia, drop in BP, and decreased cerebral perfusion, which is what possibly caused your "lost vision" and lightheadedness. It's a benign condition, but definitely one to be cognizant of when you're lifting so that you don't pass out and drop 100 pounds on yourself. It is self-limited, meaning once you stop the activity or sit/lie down the symptoms resolve (because blood pressure/HR/perfusion are restored). Both myself and my husband occasionally get light headed or "see spots" when lifting. When it happens I just make sure to pause my workout until the symptoms pass. 

What you're describing sounds very much like vasovagal reflex. Alcohol can make this worse as it dehydrates the body, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

You can read an article about it in the Journal of Applied Physiology here: http://jap.physiology.org/content/94/3/833.full

*Disclaimer: It's always a good idea to have a physician rule out any other serious possible causes of syncopal symptoms, particularly cardiac arrhythmias. 

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

I already knew I had low blood pressure, and that exercise lowered it even more - but it is really bothering me while lifting. On more then one occasion i have lost vision just after a lift. back to see the Doc about it i think.

Hey Vixen - It is not uncommon for lifters to experience these types of symptoms. The heavy lift, particularly of the deadlift and squat can stimulate the vagus nerve (or vasovagal reflex), which causes an acute bradycardia, drop in BP, and decreased cerebral perfusion, which is what possibly caused your "lost vision" and lightheadedness. It's a benign condition, but definitely one to be cognizant of when you're lifting so that you don't pass out and drop 100 pounds on yourself. It is self-limited, meaning once you stop the activity or sit/lie down the symptoms resolve (because blood pressure/HR/perfusion are restored). Both myself and my husband occasionally get light headed or "see spots" when lifting. When it happens I just make sure to pause my workout until the symptoms pass. 

What you're describing sounds very much like vasovagal reflex. Alcohol can make this worse as it dehydrates the body, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

You can read an article about it in the Journal of Applied Physiology here: http://jap.physiology.org/content/94/3/833.full

*Disclaimer: It's always a good idea to have a physician rule out any other serious possible causes of syncopal symptoms, particularly cardiac arrhythmias. 

Thank you. Yeah i have read about this and it could possibly be the case.. I guess it just worries me that it happens with any type of exercise! It has been a little better lately though I think .. Not sure why!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Monday's Workout 19/8/13

Still feeling sick with a chest infection and flu symptoms. But no way i was staying away from the gym.

5min treadmill warmup

10min hip stretching

Squats

BW x 5

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 5/5/5/5/5 - Woohoo new PR. This is where i failed last time (had a spotter) and decided to drop back because of hip pain. I think i was a little scared of this weight so took my time getting back to it. But now i smashed it - onwards and upwards from here :)

Bench

20kg x 5/5

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 5/5/5/5/5 - First time ive done this for 5 sets :)

30kg x 2 PR for Reps (previous try this was my 1rm)

30kg x 3 - Possibly assisted :angry:

Warning - RANT! there was a guy there today who offered me a spot while i was halfway through my warmup sets - like i was halfway through a rep and he decided to damn well talk to me! Once nearing the end of my working sets he asked again and tryed to talk to me. I answered and went back to what i was doing. After my 2x30 he asked again if i wanted a spot and i said yes just to get him off my back - big mistake!! He unracked for me and then wouldnt take his hands off the bar, i did my first rep thinking he would take them off, but no!! instead he just shouted encouragement at me. While i had the bar paused in the air i asked him to take his hands off and he just ignored me and went back to his 'encouragement'. So i did my 2nd and 3rd rep but his hands were distracting and i had no idea whether it was all me or not. After my 3rd rep i gave up and tried to rack it - he WOULDNT LET ME!! saying i had one more in me. I forcefully racked it and then said thats all i wanted to do today. I then went into the other room to finish my workout.

Let me add that this guy was also the one counting his reps out really loudly, grunting and yelling a lot and annoying anyone who would listen to him. He went to the bathroom at the same time as me, and then came up to me as i was getting my stuff together to leave. He tried to have a conversation and I told him i had to go and to have a good night. He then told me that he had to mention how beautiful my eyes were - I considered getting a trainer to walk me to my car!!

Anyways ...

Rows

20kg x 5

25kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Barbell Curls

15kg x 5/5/5/5/5

Good workout - just sick of the people at my gym!!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Congrats on the PRs!!  And sorry about your creepo - that's only happened to me once (he wanted to assist me on pullups) and fortunately the guy working the desk knew me and sort of hollered out "oh hey Rachel, how's your husband doin? Haven't seen him since he started working with the K9 Unit."  He never bothered me again.

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Congrats on the PRs!!  And sorry about your creepo - that's only happened to me once (he wanted to assist me on pullups) and fortunately the guy working the desk knew me and sort of hollered out "oh hey Rachel, how's your husband doin? Haven't seen him since he started working with the K9 Unit."  He never bothered me again.

Thanks. And lucky you!! by the end of it I was seriously worried this guy was going to follow me to my car!

I told my bf about it all last night and he basically said that he had read about that sort of stuff but didnt think it ACTUALLY happened. Something happens pretty much everytime i go to the gym now  - people just cant leave me to my workout. Time to change gyms i think!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Oh my gosh, what an asshole! I'm sorry you had to deal with his nonsense. Even though I've had plenty of experiences with guys doing completely inappropriate things, it's still kind of difficult to believe that someone would act like that. You should be able to do your own thing without any idiots taking it upon themselves to "help" (and being creepy weirdos in the process). Good luck on your search for a new gym.

Level 2 Fire Elemental

Druid

STR |1 DEX | 3 STA | 3 CON | 3 WIS | 1 CHA

First Challenge; Current Challenge

The hardcore, intense, bitchin', BEST team ever: The Dai-Gurren Brigade

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!!?!!?

Thursday 22/8/13

First Technique Coaching Session

So i was concentrating on my form etc so much during this workout, and had the coach telling me what to do so i am not 100% sure the exact lifts that I did, but the following is pretty close i think. (If i get the notes off the coach i will edit to reflect)

Warmup - walking lunges 3x ~20m

Squats

BW box squats x 5/5/5

BW x 5

20kg x 5/5/3/3

30kg x 3/3

32.5kg x 3/3

35kg x 2

40kg x 2/2

50kg x 1 - New PR!

40kg x 2

Bench

20kg x 5/5/5

25kg x 3/3

27.5kg x 2

30kg x 2

32.5kg x 1 - New PR! Tried for a second one but i didnt reset my form properly and couldnt quite get it up.

Deadlift

These felt awful - something just felt off right up until the end. I think i was just thinking about too much, including the people watching me and I just couldnt get it right. The last set it all fell back into place and felt like what i usually do.

30kg x 5/5

40kg x 3/3/3

50kg x 3/3/3

Rows

20kg x 5/5/5

At the end of this session, I agreed to join up at this new gym (PTC gold coast). Not sure when I will start actually working out here.. when i get the guts to go again probably haha but i will have an overlap with my current gym which has a month cancellation time. With my new membership i will get personal programming, so it might be close to the end of my Stronglifts experience but I shall see what happens ...

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Friday 23/08/13

(Old Gym)

Was a bit sore from Thursday night so didnt push myself too hard! just worked on the form cues from the coach.

Warmup - 5min treadmill

Stretching & Foam rolling (first time rolling Ouch!) - 10min

Squats

BW x 5

20kg x 5/5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5/5/5/5/5

30kg x 5

Deadlifts

40kg x 5

50kg x 5

60kg x 3

70kg x 1/1 (this was sort of like 1x2, but i took a bit to reset for the second lift so not sure whether it was more like 2x1)

72.5kg x 1 - New PR! felt my grip start to slip here so will have to start working on that.

60kg x 3

OHP

15kg x 5/10/5/5/5 - Second set the weight was still feeling quite easy so i decided to try for 10x. New PR for reps.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior