S'up!

I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm heading in that direction. I have diabeties in my family AND breast cancer, so I need to turn my life around and fast!

I'm nearly 30, about 11 and a half stone (don't know what that is in pounds, ironically), and five foot 6, so I've always been a bit stocky. My main problem is laziness shortly followed by lack of social graces and a terrible diet plagued by sugar and carb addiction. The silly thing is my mum is a fitness instructor and yoga teacher with 30 years experience! Did I listen to her? Did I hell!

This has, understandably, fustrated her and saddned her no end, I never took any notice of her sage, well informed, expert advice. In fact, that's a very understated way of putting it, I went out of my way to ignore it for the most part. I went to the gym, sure, but it never really amounted to anything. I wasn't taking any notice of how to work out properly and as a result getting nothing out of my gym membership except knee pain! Over the years I've pretty much caused her heartache through not being healthy as she knows the concequences of bad health and lack of excerise more than anyone. Her mum (my grandma) died of breast cancer about a decade ago, my other Nan is diabetic and is now suffering from dementia. She has, for a long time, tried to steer me away from this and I've thrown it back in her face. Things came to a head recently when she discovered I'd slagged her off on Facebook (how pathetic is that?!) to my partner (she doesn't have a FB account, but accidentally opened my messages on the iPad). She then told me that if I did not turn over a new leaf, she would never try to help me again.

That scared me more than anything.

I'm now a mum to, of an amazing MLP loving daughter, and I need to set her a good example. She currently has a mum who doesn't care what she eats/drinks and is getting headaches and knee pains before she hits 30! ARGH! Aren't those indications of diabeties?! I need to change and FAST!

Really, the excersie is not an issue because my mum has offered to assess me and give me my own personal programme, it's the motivation and the diet thing really. I've not had any sugar or carbs for 24 hours and I have an epic headache, it's clearly an effect of a detox and just shows how addicted I was! I just need to stay motivated and clear on what I want to do. If my mum gives me some targets, I can meet them. As long as I have some fruit or veggies and hummous on hand I won't reach for a cake/biscuit.

Another thing that didn't help was my teaching course which was stressful, took up ALL my time and put me in the way of temptation. At the teaching college the biscuit tin was always full, and at the schools I was placed in people brought in cakes and doughnuts in for birthdays and, lord help me, I probably consumed my bodyweight in sandwiches. I had to drop out after too many terrible observations in my lessons (they have a three strikes rule) and looking back, it was probably a blessing!

You've got your mom on your team, so you can do this.  You might want to eat small amounts of rice or potatoes to stave off the headaches. 

We're starting a challenge on the 29th, so maybe you'll want to join in.  FAQs at http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/26795-challenge-faq/

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit