• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wolverine

The Assassins Want YOU

Potential Assassins,

First, thank you for your interest in our guild.  We are honored that you are considering joining our ranks.

Please read through the information below to get a better idea about what it means to be an Assassin.  Keep in mind that this information isn't exhaustive, merely a sampling of what interests most of our guild members.  Participation/proficiency in the following isn't mandatory, but if you find all of it uninspiring - we're probably not the guild for you.  Nothing wrong with that!

When you're finished reading, do not hesitate to post any questions or voice any concerns you may have about our guild.  Ask anything - no question/worry/declaration of adoration is too small (we promise)!

Assassins love movement and fluidity, they thrive off of competition and cooperation equally, they prize efficiency, and they are obsessed with mastering their own bodyweight.

COMMON TRAINING STYLES/THEMES:

• Calisthenics / Bodyweight (Al Kavadlo, Mike Fitch, BarStarzz)

• Gymnastics (Gold Medal Bodies, Overcoming Gravity, Building the Gymnastic Body)

• Hand-balancing

• Movement / Flexibility / Mobility (Ido Portal, Animal Flow, Prasara, Mobility WOD)

• Rock Climbing / Bouldering

• Circus Arts (Pole, Trapeze, Contortion, Silks, Rope)

• Parkour

• Dance

COMMON CHALLENGE GOALS:

• Body Recomposition (lose weight, gain weight)

• Increase Reps (pull-ups, push-ups, pistol squats)

• Increase Hold Times (handstand, frog/crow stand, levers)

• Wear More Black

• Workout / Train / Climb X Times per Week

• Increase Flexibility / Mobility

SO... I'M INTERESTED... NOW WHAT?

To join the Assassins, simply post your 4-week Nerd Fitness Challenge in the Assassin subforum. It's that easy!

Thank you again for your interest.  We look forward to welcoming you into our ranks!

• Like 25

Dear Assassins!

First time I read the article on professions, I thought" I'm going to be an assassin! I want to become agile, have a very good endurance and I'm more attracted to body weighting and free weight! However I'm not sure what to decide between adventurers ( I started body weight training on 2nd of july) and rangers (multitaskers )

My weight loss goal: 
- go from 85kg (187 lbs) to 72 kg (159 lbs)
- wear  a US size 8

Then for a longer term, I would like to start something betweeen crossfit, boxing, samba, capoeira.

My history can be read in my introduction thread... To sum it up:

- February:  healthy journey with lots of cardio (5 times a week with a starting weight of 91. I went up to 94 while my body looked slimmer though).....

Reading NF blog I understood that : diet was 80% of the weight loss and strength training is much more efficient than cardio.... I got that some things needed to change.

- July:I started bodyweight and free weight training with a trainer on 2 nd July and I really love it!

An example of one of my session:

1500 meters indoor rowing machine

1 minute rope jump

50 walking lunges with a 5 kg wheel

30 kettle ball swing (9 kg ball)

20 jumps on a 50 cms step

3 series of 3 abs/core exercices

I had my 7 th session this morning :)

So my routine since july is :

3 X Bodyweight training

2 x Cardio / fun classes (spinning, zumba)

Here I am now... looking for advice and orientation for this very exiting journey!

• Like 1

Dear Assassins!

First time I read the article on professions, I thought" I'm going to be an assassin! I want to become agile, have a very good endurance and I'm more attracted to body weighting and free weight! However I'm not sure what to decide between adventurers ( I started body weight training on 2nd of july) and rangers (multitaskers )

My weight loss goal: 

- wear  a US size 8

Then for a longer term, I would like to start something betweeen crossfit, boxing, samba, capoeira.

- February:  healthy journey with lots of cardio (5 times a week with a starting weight of 91. I went up to 94 while my body looked slimmer though).....

Reading NF blog I understood that : diet was 80% of the weight loss and strength training is much more efficient than cardio.... I got that some things needed to change.

- July:I started bodyweight and free weight training with a trainer on 2 nd July and I really love it!

1 minute rope jump

3 X Bodyweight training

Here I am now... looking for advice and orientation for this very exiting journey!

seems good, but what kind of advice do you need more? seems like you're going in the right direction :)

Dear Assassins!

My weight loss goal: 

- wear  a US size 8

1 minute rope jump

3 X Bodyweight training

Welcome, WonderNatarella (as an aside, I read your name as "WonderNutella" and now I'm hungry...)!

If I'm reading this correctly, you are asking whether the Rangers or the Assassins will be a better fitter for you?  Well, the answer to that question is... YES! :)  

Your workout seems a little more Ranger-oriented traditionally speaking (varied + weights rather than bodyweight), but, that being said, many Assassins (myself included!) can say the same.  I think the real difference between Rangers/Assassins is in the mindset.  I think of Rangers as having their focus on being good at everything (master of none, as they say) whereas the Assassins are focused on mastering their bodies (using whatever tools they happen to have, but especially their own bodyweight).  I also think of Rangers as more gym/box-based and Assassins as more home/wherever they happen to be-based.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

If not...

There's nothing that says you can't be a Ranger-Assassin hybrid or switch back and forth between the guilds each challenge (depending on your current training setup and goals).  The choosing of a guild isn't set in stone, you can always jump ship (and no one will think less of you for it)!

• Like 2

Hi all, I'm a fitness newbie who has found that the things that really inspire me to get stronger and lose a few excess pounds seem to fall in the assassins' domain--like hand balancing, maybe climbing (I'm afraid of heights, which seems to both freak me out about climbing and increase the appeal...), and just generally getting stronger by doing stuff I can do almost wherever.

I don't tend to be the sort that dives right into new communities, but the adventurers' bonus challenge thing was a good shove to step beyond peeking at the challenge threads over here. I'm definitely still in the beginner phase of losing some weight while getting stronger and generally working toward some basic bodyweight movements (like real pushups...)--would it be silly for me to hang out here next challenge, being all googly-eyed impressed (and super encouraging, of course)?

I'm currently on a work schedule that has me spending ten days out of every fourteen living in a hotel room--this will end in mid-September, when I will be going on a trip for a couple of weeks and then getting back to my normal life. This has made my efforts at eating healthier and working out regularly a little more challenging, both on the road and when I'm at home trying to make up for lost time with folks. I love to cook and have missed that, but on the plus side, I drive to the work location and have been developing some solid recipes using the toaster oven I cart with me (well, mostly variations on baked eggs because I've been hesitant to work up to other proteins without a kitchen sink etc, but it's been handy for roasting veggies and some other things). 

I've been doing basically the level 1 bodyweight workouts from the rebel fitness guide for the past couple of months. I'm definitely noticing gains in strength and definition (little stuff like "what is that thing on my arm? oh!", which are awesome for everyday life and also get me really excited to see what I can do in upcoming workouts, both in the short term and going forward. I'm planning to stick with this general workout through the next 6-week challenge and then figure out whether I want to change things up a bit, especially since that will be around the time when I start being at home most of the time. I'm sure I'll have more specific advice questions at that point...I wrote a bunch of this while trying to figure out what to say.

The moment I read the description of this guild, I knew that it was for me. I'm a dancer whose focus is getting more flexible and strong so I can bring my legs to new heights (like in my profile picture), pirouette for days, stand on my hands for obscenely long periods of time, defy gravity when I leap, and look graceful as fuck while I do all those things. Some side goals include strengthening my toothpick arms, running faster and longer, and improving overall health. I've been keeping track of my daily battles here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/32585-the-road-to-being-a-ninja/. My workouts have been more dumbbell-oriented (which is not very assassin-like), and that's because I feel like it's a good place to start (and I have no idea what else I can do). Any suggestions to improve my workouts would be greatly appreciated. I hope to become a better ninja as I keep training, and hopefully being in a group of similar-minded people will push me to do even better.

Also, I'm sorry to say, but I don't wear black all that much. I hope I'm still welcome as an assassin.

• Like 1

<3<3 Thinking of dropping the iron. Heck, I weight more than I lift on most things anyways. I really need to focus on natural movement and reunite with nature in general. Sucks that I paid up my gym membership for 2 years. I can definitely utilize it for some weight loss though. Loving the idea of Animal Flow, for what kind of werewolf would I be if I couldn't act like one?

This are my long term goals...

1) Do one or all of this bodyweight exercises before the end of the year: keep a free handstand for 60/ Do 10 Hanging straight legs raises/ do a  kip-up/ do a cartwheel
2) attend a triathlon before next summer
3) find and maintain an optimal BF% (<13%) by the end of this summer.

as a gift for this summer I bought myself some bodyweight workouts and diet books and I'm going to use them..I'm very undecided between rangers,assassins and scouts. Running has been always my passion ( I run a marathon and several halfs and 10-5k) but now I'm really into bodyweight excercise and I'm really putting a lot of effort to improve the reps of the exercises and do new exercises. I think I'll join the assassins or the rangers for the next challenges and then join the scouts when I start to train seriously for my first triathlon.

any thoughts, ideas which one should I choose between ranger and assassins?

P.S. sorry again for my English but I'm not a native speaker and I'm usually in a hurry when I write:P

• Like 1

--would it be silly for me to hang out here next challenge, being all googly-eyed impressed (and super encouraging, of course)?

Haha NO it would be silly at all... in fact this is what I do mostly :D There are a lot of impressive people around here!!

Also, I'm sorry to say, but I don't wear black all that much. I hope I'm still welcome as an assassin.

Ha well our esteemed leader Wolverine has been known to wear florescent pink spandex.. so you should be fine ;)

Haha NO it would be silly at all... in fact this is what I do mostly :D There are a lot of impressive people around here!!

Awesome, I think I will give give it a shot and be inspired by the impressive people while working on my own goals. Thanks for the encouraging response!

Ha well our esteemed leader Wolverine has been known to wear florescent pink spandex.. so you should be fine ;)

We're trying to recruit here, BWE, not scare potentials away...

• Like 1

We're trying to recruit here, BWE, not scare potentials away...

what's scary about that? muscular, hairy, bad-ass wolverine in a thight pink spandex fighting of Magneto's minions and...oh yeah now i see it OO aaah the imagery, curses!

seriously Wolverine is an awesome Guildleader, it's always great to join the Asassins ^^

• Like 1

In my opinion the appeal of the assassin class, is far more interesting than most of the others. I mean who doesn't wanna scale buildings, and stuff like that....to me that just sounds like something fun to do, I don't know about anyone else. :P

• Like 1