• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wolverine

The Assassins Want YOU

I'm planning on alternating between guilds for each challenge. I'm an assassin and a monk. And both compliment eachother very nicely for conditioning purposes. 

My plan for the challenge cycles is to have my goals done in the following format:

1) General Goal

This goal is either a dietary goal or a conditioning/fitness related goal. 

2) General Goal

3) Class Goal

This goal is related to the Class that I'm training to level up. 

If I'm training as an Assassin I will be increasing/improving an assassin discipline (climbing, parkour, slack lining, free diving)

If I'm training as a Monk I will be increasing/improving a monk discipline (setting training goals for a martial art style, or competing)

My class goals don't mean I stop what I'm doing in the other class. It just helps set an observable goal in one of the many things that I enjoy doing so I can continue to improve as a well rounded athlete. 

4) Life Goal

Will vary depending on what I need to improve on. 

I'm thinking this will give my challenge cycles a uniform structure, so that the weeks can be compared and tracked against each other. 

Any thoughts?

Welcome, WonderNatarella (as an aside, I read your name as "WonderNutella" and now I'm hungry...)!

If I'm reading this correctly, you are asking whether the Rangers or the Assassins will be a better fitter for you?  Well, the answer to that question is... YES! :)

Your workout seems a little more Ranger-oriented traditionally speaking (varied + weights rather than bodyweight), but, that being said, many Assassins (myself included!) can say the same.  I think the real difference between Rangers/Assassins is in the mindset.  I think of Rangers as having their focus on being good at everything (master of none, as they say) whereas the Assassins are focused on mastering their bodies (using whatever tools they happen to have, but especially their own bodyweight).  I also think of Rangers as more gym/box-based and Assassins as more home/wherever they happen to be-based.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

If not...

There's nothing that says you can't be a Ranger-Assassin hybrid or switch back and forth between the guilds each challenge (depending on your current training setup and goals).  The choosing of a guild isn't set in stone, you can always jump ship (and no one will think less of you for it)!

Thanks wolverine for your answer and clarification!

True that I train more at the gym than home (I'll be on holidays 1 st week of August, so I'll have a week of home training !).

For this challenge, I'll side with the adventurers, to give me the time to think about it again, and to see where I am after 2 months of strength training!

I'll see you later guys!

I'm planning on alternating between guilds for each challenge. I'm an assassin and a monk. And both compliment eachother very nicely for conditioning purposes. 

My plan for the challenge cycles is to have my goals done in the following format:

1) General Goal

2) General Goal

3) Class Goal

This goal is related to the Class that I'm training to level up. 

If I'm training as an Assassin I will be increasing/improving an assassin discipline (climbing, parkour, slack lining, free diving)

If I'm training as a Monk I will be increasing/improving a monk discipline (setting training goals for a martial art style, or competing)

My class goals don't mean I stop what I'm doing in the other class. It just helps set an observable goal in one of the many things that I enjoy doing so I can continue to improve as a well rounded athlete. 

4) Life Goal

Will vary depending on what I need to improve on. 

I'm thinking this will give my challenge cycles a uniform structure, so that the weeks can be compared and tracked against each other. 

Any thoughts?

Very interesting structure!

Hello assassins!

I'm new (clearly!) and am planning to join you guys for the next challenge! I am more blob than assassin at the moment. I have a young toddler who is perfecting his walking/running skills and I want to be able to chase him around and play with him and climb playground equipment more effectively. I just started working on some bodyweight exercises and I am digging them so far!

I thought between the bodyweight exercises and playground aspirations that I would fit in best with you guys. I have a tendency to get really excited at the beginnings of things and then peter out and never finish, so I am really challenging myself to stick with this and really accomplish something!

• Like 1

Hello assassins!

I'm new (clearly!) and am planning to join you guys for the next challenge! I am more blob than assassin at the moment. I have a young toddler who is perfecting his walking/running skills and I want to be able to chase him around and play with him and climb playground equipment more effectively. I just started working on some bodyweight exercises and I am digging them so far!

I thought between the bodyweight exercises and playground aspirations that I would fit in best with you guys. I have a tendency to get really excited at the beginnings of things and then peter out and never finish, so I am really challenging myself to stick with this and really accomplish something!

Welcome! Indeed it sounds like you will fit perfectly with us! Making the whole world your playground will certainly make your child happy :D

Hm, I was wondering what guild would be better for me If I wanted to gain muscle mass. To get more bulky, but at the same time be flexible? I have the problem that I love lifting weights (Bodyweights as well as barbells) but also love my wallclimbing. I'd totally love to join the assassins (I mean seriously what's cooler than an assassin?) But at the same time, asking myself aren't the warriors better for my goals of gaining mass primarily? Maybe later in my health and fitness progression I will change the focus of my development. What do you guys think?

Well, you can definitely gain some muscle mass with BW workouts only, you can ask Waldo for his insight, he is really knowledgeable for that. But if you also like weight lifting, a few levels with the warriors is not a bad idea. 

So, to make sure, I'll ask you the same little exercise I asked to the assassins:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/33111-getting-ready-for-next-challenge

You have to pick one goal, the most important thing for you at the moment. And I insist on the "one". Then think about what you would do to achieve this goal, with as much details as possible. That may help you and us to decide :)

Then again, I agree with you, there is nothing cooler than an assassin :D 

Yes, well. I am quite torn between two fitness goals. If I was to pick between 25 pull ups in one go, and lifting alot of weight in a 5x5 workout I'd be torn. Especially because both challenges would be quite important to me. I can currently only lift about 77lbs in front squats (max) and 66lbs in barbell curls (have not tracked my bench presses yet --> I only started tracking on wednesday and my bench presses are on mondays.) My bent over barb. rows are better with approx. 88 lbs --> the weights were transformed from KGs to Lbs that's why they're so crooked. My reps usually are 10, 8, 6 with rising weight. The weight measurements I just gave you are usually the last of the three sets. Now should I reduce the reps and Increase weight to actually see faster progress?

Also I can do 10 clean pull-ups but afterwards I am pooped. The other two sets are way less clean, and also sometimes the last set I can't even pull myself up fully. Now Should I, If I wanted to increase my pull-up strength, finish doing them as clean as I can until failure? Or what is my goal here? I remember having seen the "pull-up challenge" somewhere.

My entire three day split:

1. Monday - Chest, Shoulders, Abs:

Chest
Bench Presses 10, 8 , 6
Dumbbell pullovers 10, 8, 6 (I never can get these right. I sometimes vary between these and Push-ups for chest training 3x25 reps (too much?))
Single Arm (in lack of dual machine) Chest fly, each side: 10, 10

Shoulders (front/sides)
Dumbell front raises 12, 10, 8
Sideraises 12, 10 ,8
--> Also thinking of doing handstand push-ups for shoulders, any thoughts on this?

Abs
Chrunches-machine 3x15-20 (rising weights)
Hanging Leg raises 3x15-20 (almost impossible for me, after the chrunches)
--my thought was switching it up, doing the leg raises first and then the machine.

2. Wednesday - Back, Shoulders, Triceps

Back
Close-grip lat. pull-downs 10, 8, 6 (I change it up with pull ups, they feel more fun for this)
Bent-over barbell rows 10, 8, 6
Hyperextensions 10, 10 (I usually lie on a bench for this and let my self hang over the edge in lack of a proper hyperex bench to do these)

Shoulders
Bent-over sideraises 15, 12, 10

Triceps
French-presses 10, 8, 6
Triceps rope extensions 12, 10, 8

3. Friday Legs, Biceps

Legs
Leg raises 12, 10, 8
Squats 10, 8, 6 (on the guided rack -- doing front squats)
Leg Curls 10, 8, 6

Biceps
Barbell Curls 10, 8, 6
Scottcurls 10, 8, 6

I hope this helps you help me. I don't necessarily expect an answer to this, here as I understand this is the wrong part of the forum to ask these questions but hopefully this will help you tell me what Would be best for me.

Hi all, I'm a fitness newbie who has found that the things that really inspire me to get stronger and lose a few excess pounds seem to fall in the assassins' domain--like hand balancing, maybe climbing (I'm afraid of heights, which seems to both freak me out about climbing and increase the appeal...), and just generally getting stronger by doing stuff I can do almost wherever.

I don't tend to be the sort that dives right into new communities, but the adventurers' bonus challenge thing was a good shove to step beyond peeking at the challenge threads over here. I'm definitely still in the beginner phase of losing some weight while getting stronger and generally working toward some basic bodyweight movements (like real pushups...)--would it be silly for me to hang out here next challenge, being all googly-eyed impressed (and super encouraging, of course)?

I'm currently on a work schedule that has me spending ten days out of every fourteen living in a hotel room--this will end in mid-September, when I will be going on a trip for a couple of weeks and then getting back to my normal life. This has made my efforts at eating healthier and working out regularly a little more challenging, both on the road and when I'm at home trying to make up for lost time with folks. I love to cook and have missed that, but on the plus side, I drive to the work location and have been developing some solid recipes using the toaster oven I cart with me (well, mostly variations on baked eggs because I've been hesitant to work up to other proteins without a kitchen sink etc, but it's been handy for roasting veggies and some other things). 

I've been doing basically the level 1 bodyweight workouts from the rebel fitness guide for the past couple of months. I'm definitely noticing gains in strength and definition (little stuff like "what is that thing on my arm? oh!", which are awesome for everyday life and also get me really excited to see what I can do in upcoming workouts, both in the short term and going forward. I'm planning to stick with this general workout through the next 6-week challenge and then figure out whether I want to change things up a bit, especially since that will be around the time when I start being at home most of the time. I'm sure I'll have more specific advice questions at that point...I wrote a bunch of this while trying to figure out what to say.

I love the fact that you cart a toaster oven with you when you travel. Travel is when it is the hardest to eat healthy, good for you for not using travel as an excuse to eat junk!

The moment I read the description of this guild, I knew that it was for me. I'm a dancer whose focus is getting more flexible and strong so I can bring my legs to new heights (like in my profile picture), pirouette for days, stand on my hands for obscenely long periods of time, defy gravity when I leap, and look graceful as fuck while I do all those things. Some side goals include strengthening my toothpick arms, running faster and longer, and improving overall health. I've been keeping track of my daily battles here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/32585-the-road-to-being-a-ninja/. My workouts have been more dumbbell-oriented (which is not very assassin-like), and that's because I feel like it's a good place to start (and I have no idea what else I can do). Any suggestions to improve my workouts would be greatly appreciated. I hope to become a better ninja as I keep training, and hopefully being in a group of similar-minded people will push me to do even better.

Also, I'm sorry to say, but I don't wear black all that much. I hope I'm still welcome as an assassin.

Love your Avatar, very impressive. I didn't look at your whole thread, just the beginning. Seemed to me look a good blend of skill,strength, and flexibilty. I'm looking forward to seeing all the cool things you do this challenge

Hm, I was wondering what guild would be better for me If I wanted to gain muscle mass. To get more bulky, but at the same time be flexible? I have the problem that I love lifting weights (Bodyweights as well as barbells) but also love my wallclimbing. I'd totally love to join the assassins (I mean seriously what's cooler than an assassin?) But at the same time, asking myself aren't the warriors better for my goals of gaining mass primarily? Maybe later in my health and fitness progression I will change the focus of my development. What do you guys think?

I think you can gain muscle mass by bodyweight alone. However, you also say you love lifting weights. So if you love lifting weights you should do that . You will work at what you can enjoy. You could mix in a bit of BW too, and see if you enjoy it. As far as what guild, I guess that would be more goal specific. If you have goals to  lift more tonnage, maybe try Warriors, if your goals are more geared to your climbing , join us. You can switch at each challenge if you want. If you goals include both climbing and weight lifting, choose one guild, but hang around the other guild too so you can get tips/encouragment to fit your goal

After starting the last challenge half way through I am really excited to start from the start this time. I am now doing weekly gymnastics lessons and loving being an assassin (in training).

Apparently they are a heavy cardio exercise:

Also regarding my goal. I am probably gonna pick 25 consecutive pull-ups, whereas I can only do about 12-15 in one go. Any suggestions on achieving that?

• Like 2

Apparently they are a heavy cardio exercise:

Also regarding my goal. I am probably gonna pick 25 consecutive pull-ups, whereas I can only do about 12-15 in one go. Any suggestions on achieving that?

Add weight to bring your max to like 5. doing three to five sets like that and you'll be on your way to 25 ;)

Add weight to bring your max to like 5. doing three to five sets like that and you'll be on your way to 25 ;)

Hm, in lack of weight belt a backpack with books/weights, then? I'll try and do that. You think the goal might be set too low?

Probably not too low, maybe even too high. Adding pullups to a set takes a really long time so 25 sounds challenging enough for me :)

Hm, in lack of weight belt a backpack with books/weights, then? I'll try and do that. You think the goal might be set too low?

Really depends on you. Some people shoot up into the high 20's, 30's+ without issue.

Others hit the high teens and it takes an eternity to get much higher, and you rapidly lose any ability you gain (cough, like me).

What works? Do lots and lots of pullups and/or get stronger at doing pullups. There are lots and lots of schemes, hard to say which will work best for you.

Pullup performance is very weight dependent. The smaller you are the easier time you will have getting to high pull #'s.

Hmm, just read the new rules and it looks like I can't join you guys for my first challenge. I'm actually a little sad about it, but I guess if my ultimate goal stays the same, there's always the next one. I will probably still keep an eye on what you are all working on, so hopefully that's okay!

I thought at first I might be a Ranger, but then I was reading the RPG article and I realized that at least for the next challenge, where my Main Quest is Tough Mudder training, I need to be an Assassin! So for the next six weeks, I will be doing lots of bodyweight training, running, and parkour - won't be wearing black because it's approximate 1,000° here in Texas! I probably won't be wearing a lot of clothes at all :P teehee!