• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

The Scouts Are Looking For A Few Good Adventurers

I really just started. Worked up a good sweat though.

Well you're in good hands. We've all been through the training for the first 5k (or are still doing it). It's the toughest part of running, but stick with it. Once you manage to hit the 5k mark consistently, the addiction sets in well and truly ;)

Hey there, Scouts.

I'm looking for my guild. And there's a possibility that that guild is you.

According to the placement test (which is totally neat) I belong here. And I know I like to walk, and I plan on doing a good bit of it. And I certainly like the "can outlast any animal on the planet" but of your blurb.

But there's also some personal reasons that mean maybe not being a scout. Someone in it. Someone I don't want to interact with anymore, especially where finding my real self is involved.

Regardless, there's enough alignment with your interests, I need to at least stick my nose in.

My essence and vision is the combined force of a strong wild form (physical power / bodyweight strengthening) and a strong winged form (running / sprinting / movement endurance). The Scouts definitely speak to the winged part of that, and the Assassins (if allowed to be taken from an urban background to a wild one) certainly fit the idea of my wild form. But the Rangers seem to be a little more warriors meets scouts than assassin/scout hybrid, so I'm hoping that one of sides of that hybrid class will be a good place for both sides of my athletic interests.

Is that you? Is that here?

Out of the interest of research and data gathering, I wanted to come by and present myself, and see if you feel it's a good fit. But in the spirit of the honesty and courage I'm focusing on in my life right now, I'm presenting myself transparently and deeply.

The rest of this post is just me saying who I am. I'm inviting you to read it. And, regardless of whether or not you do, I'd like to hear your thoughts of what the Scouts guild is all about, and whether you think it's a good place for me to build a nest.

So, me.

A young wolf pup, with wings. Total weirdo, neither bird nor proper house dog, nor normal wolf. A magical fantasy creature. A historical novelty, potential prize, and non-peg inconvenience. The hope, disappointment, and confusion of many. That's a description I've attempted to fight, or (when that failed) merely run from. And now, it's one that I'm trying to accept, as a simple and indicative part of my story.

I was a house pup until my house fell apart, then a pack pup until my pack left me behind, then a tiny alpha who started their own pack and was horribly hurt by all of them, and then a street pup, curled up in cardboard in the dirt of the sidewalk, hoping that if I tried hard enough, someone would want me enough to let me be a house pup again.

And then I met a girl, and followed her to a beautiful place far away from the city concrete. And I decided I wanted to be a wolf, not a pup, with a strong wild form and strong glorious wings. Because I'm never gonna get my house pup life back. And I want to live. I want to run and howl in the power of my wild magic. I want to fly like the sun and wind is woven into every feather of my wings. And I want to be strong enough to protect her.

It's not easy to change my paradigm of myself from the painful and desperate clawing that my system was so deeply programmed with. It's been a long, long time since I knew the sound of the wild heart's drums better than the chill of cold pavement and lonely howls. It's my biggest mission, above and by far, to try and leave behind the fear that my heart has learned so well.

I now live far up north in the trees where no trains visit, the only access to which is driving along a single winding road through the hills and forests seven hours south to reach the next major populated zone, and the beginning of civilization.

I work in a games shop - board games and trading card games and tabletop role playing, that sort of thing. They hired me on to invent and run new events and games. I've been there a week, and I already can't imagine leaving.

I've got friends I've made, regulars in the shop, who carry storage totes of board games on their car, who speak fluent imagination, and get excited at the idea of me running campaigns or designing new crazy nights. One who designs and works on motorcycles for a living, and is gonna teach me mechanics, so I can speak proper "Riggs" (Firefly.) And a deputy, who wants to teach me to fire a gun, and handle them safely, just in case of a Zombie Apocalyse. And a military officer who's gonna help me design a Rebirth of Magic Apocalyse campaign to run for the shop regulars.

Tonight, after I closed the shop particularly late - because Board Game Night Tuesdays always run a bit late - we all went out to the diner. And when there was a lull in the conversation? Someone produced a small board game from under the table, and asked if everyone wanted to play. We did.

And there's a lot of work to do. I'm seeing a psychiatrist. And looking for the therapist my psychiatrist so intensely desires me to seek - for good reason. My hands still shake every time I talk about expectation, or my potential or promise, or think about how disappointed people would be to see me here, with no ambitions and successes and accomplishments to report. Or when I think about how little most people care, now. My hopes of someone wanting me enough to make me a house pup again crush under the weight of the signs of my insufficiency, my inadequacy, my failure.

The mere thought of it makes it hard to breathe. And hard to think.

But I don't need to think to know I'm here. I'm right here, right now, safe here in the trees, in a house that holds the most precious girl in the world. I just need to look, and feel, and breathe the air, and listen to the sounds of the old refrigerator - or whatever might be around me in moments when I need to feel. Or go to my favorite reminder.

And I'm going to go join her in sleep land now, because it's nearly three in the morning.

But I wanted to say hello. To introduce myself, honestly and completely - because then I know I'm listening to me. And that the people who can relate or want who I really am having the opportunity to see me for who I am. Even if it's not totally clear to me, yet.

I hope all of your adventures are finding you in the strongest of spirits.

Sincerely,

- WW

• Like 3

Howdy WingedWolf! 

We scout do dabble in other areas of exercise - personally I'm a big fan of kettle bells :) - not just run/bike/swim. So if you want to bounce between scout and assassin challenge forums you're more than welcome. 

• Like 1

Howdy WingedWolf! 

We scout do dabble in other areas of exercise - personally I'm a big fan of kettle bells :) - not just run/bike/swim. So if you want to bounce between scout and assassin challenge forums you're more than welcome. 

I'm thinking about it! Thanks for your point of view. :)

So about 2 days ago I was challenged by my wife to run my first 5K with her. I believe at this moment I blacked out at the audacity of the question because when I came to she said wonderful, it'll be great to have you with us...

I have been out of shape for a while, and need to fix that, and the Scouts seem right up my alley. If possible, I would be honored to join you all.

*Scouts out the area*

Apparently tracking you all down really is as difficult as you make it sound. I would definitely still be interested in joining and learning the ways of the scout!

I would like to be a scout, but I am really new at running...

how could it start?

If you run at all I would recommend Hal Higdon Training plans, there's beginner - advanced training programs that cover everything from 5ks to multiple marathons in a year to triathlons. http://www.halhigdon.com/

I used the half marathon to train for a Tough Mudder and it worked wonderfully! 

They take commitment, but hardly any thought. You just do whatever the plan says for that day and you will be ready for any race (or just be able to run the distance you want without a race) distance you'd like!

I stopped training after that race and now and starting to get back into shape without the motivation of races. It's rather difficult for me, but in the past I really did enjoy the training runs as much if not more than the events! 

Good luck and remember - if you run at all you're already a runner! Welcome to the running community!

• Like 1

Hello All - 

So yesterday was my 31st birthday and I have gone from a great casual runner when I was 28 to the slob/slug I am now (with an added 50 pounds). I still run but I went from loving it to hating it and need all the help/inspiration I can get! So if I want be join where do I go from here?

Can't wait to be part of the team! 

It seems like the scouts are going through a hard time. I mean it is okay, in every Fantasy Novel a scout faces most danger and gets less appreciation.

So new Scout Reijarmo is ready for duty 

Hello! :D

I'm a noob here on the forums. I'm actually in the Monks guild but I wanted to wander over and say hi to you all as well. I started running two years ago and recently completed my third marathon (I'm not even going to go into how many 5Ks, 10Ks, and half's). I'm considering a sprint tri as my next possibility, as well as learning to run faster. I have a goal to qualify for Boston someday (at my current rate, it would take about 3-5 more years of training to get there). So I would love to keep in touch with other endurance athletes!

Hello again and hopefully I will see you around the forums!

Greetings,

I've been lurking on-and-off on the forums since about 2012. I have what may charitably be called socialization issues which gives me a tendency to be lax about posting (or saying much of anything at all). I'm also terrible about remembering to update my character profile (link in my signature block) and usually do it in bursts once every two to three months.

After some consideration, I've decided to throw my lot in with the Scouts (if you'll have me). I'm glad to see you don't mind Scouts dabbling in other guilds. I debated between Scout and Ranger for a bit, until I realized that I do pretty much everything in support of going farther. Why do the Adventurer disciplines interest me? Because the outdoors shouldn't stand in the way of a good run. Why do the Assassin disciplines interest me? Because there are obstacles in the trail and I hate being tied to a gym. Why do the Monk disciplines interest me? Because you never know whether that stranger on the road is friend or foe. I dislike lifting weights but I'll do it if it means I can run faster and farther. At my core, I'm a Scout.

I won't be the most active member here, but I do think I have something to contribute. I'll be posting my first challenge for the next 4 Week Challenge shortly.

- The Nomad

Edited by Nomad Jay
Missing sentence

Hi all! After a lot of consideration, I too think the Scouts Guild is right for me. I do want to eventually work on some strength training, but not enough to warrant joining the Warriors, and when I think about it, strength training for me might only be applied as far as it will help my running. 

My issue, and I'm hoping someone can help with this, is my speed. I've been an "off and on" runner for about ten years, but during every "on" period, my PR mile creeps up and up. I'm sitting somewhere around 12 minutes/mile right now, which is giving it every last drop I've got for that one mile...

What I want is to run a 5k in less than 34 minutes. Any good tips on training exercises (running or otherwise) I can utilize to boost my speed?

Is this even a good place to ask that question??

On 6/8/2017 at 4:35 PM, Scarlet said:

What I want is to run a 5k in less than 34 minutes. Any good tips on training exercises (running or otherwise) I can utilize to boost my speed?

Is this even a good place to ask that question??

Usually you'd either drop that Q in the Scout forum or into Running programs.

Speed comes in two ways ... speed training and increasing mileage. I got faster from doing sprint work but before doing that I just got faster on shorter distance by doing longer distances.

This looks like a great place to set up camp. I hope I may be a solid and contributing part of the team! I'm a fresh new recruit, just done with the first 4 week challenge at Level 1 and decided to try out at Scout Base as my very first guild. What drew me here is this philosophy of "no one is left behind". Its a personal philosophy I try to stick to. It gets my heart fired up and to me, it says a lot about one's character - yeah, its a bit old fashioned and schmaltzy and I get laughed about my corniness, but I truly feel that once you're part of something, you make sure no one gets left behind in the dust and you pick someone up when they're down.

OK, cheesy PSA part of myself done. The functional stuff?  I wouldn't classify myself as a runner. But I feel free when I do run. It unlocks my brain and lets it breathe a bit. I may run like a stampede of sloths but I keep it up when I can. I started off a few years ago not being able to run 5 minutes without wheezing like an asthmatic. Fast forward past a few injuries in the last 2 years and a whole ton of post injury overeating weight, I am back down to a healthier weight and because I eat better now, I am now able to run (on my good days) 30 minutes without feeling like I am carrying an elephant on my back.

I don't have any ultramarathon goals. My goals really are to use running as my mental health medicine and to do better with endurance and just crack this 30 minute running wall of mine. I have added strength training to what I am doing because I don't want to injure my ankle and foot anymore (that includes lunges with weights, upper body work and core strength). I'm starting to find that short sprints in between periods of light running are invigorating and add a nice bit of variety to what I am already doing. I'm aiming to try hill training too to see where this will take me. Anyway, I am pleased to make your acquaintance and hope that I can run alongside each of you who are here! I hope to be able to do your team proud (while breaking a few personal small records of my own)!  Thank you.