• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

The Scouts Are Looking For A Few Good Adventurers

Hello, I've been a reader of the main site for the last few months and I am loving it. I gained about 4 lbs of muscle in the last month and I'm thinking I want to keep it there and focus on endurance.       I am trying to train for the Air Force (I leave at the end of January) and I want to earn the highest physical award for basic, and to prepare myself for my next few months of Explosive Ordinance Training.   

So my goal for now is:  13:30 for 2 mile run, 8 mins. for 1.5 mile run,  75 pushups(one set in I believe a minute no rest) 80 situps(same minute and no rest.  and 10 pull ups.

I haven't tested myself for the 2 mile run.  I did about 11 minutes for 1.5 last Wednesday, 46 pushups, 50 situps and 15 pull ups

The above was from a meeting I had at my recruiters office I usually test myself Friday nights.

I am 18, I am currently changing tires for a living, 6ft 2 and weighed in at 169 lbs November 9th

So my big question for starting out, with these goals in mind is this the guild I will fit with the most? I was thinking either this one or the Rangers.

Thanks to all :)

That running goal alone would definitely qualify you!

I'm sure that you could get lots of pointers and encouragement from us Scouts if you decided to join our guild. You may find that a guild like the Assassins could also help with your bodyweight goals as well though. A lot of us double dip a bit, but usually there is one group or another that you'll find yourself gravitating to.

Whatever you decide, though, you're always welcome to hang out/post question in the Scouts forums anytime :)

Good luck with your training!

• Like 1

Have the Scouts gone into hibernation?  As my first challenge is finishing, I am trying to catch up on all the guilds and move out of recruits!  Once Spring comes, I plan to be using my road bike 4+ days a week, so this guild is appealing to me.  Let me know if it is still an option!

I'm thinking about coming over form the Druids. Not that the Druids aren't great, but I do a lot more running than meditating. Well, running is meditating, but you know. :)

Come on over ... we meditate while running :D 

• Like 2

I'm now doing my first 6-week challenge but if that works well I'd like to become a Scout. I've always loved running, but six years back a soccer indicent (opponent stepping on my ankle -> tore pretty much every single ligament) made me stop everything for three years as walking itself was a struggle. A surgery fixed my ankle (but nerve damage stayed) and now I need to re-start running again from point zero. This is something I'm not used to, I used to run 5-10 kilometers each time but now I haven't run more than two steps since the event. The whole idea of running is scary so I have to overcome that.

There's the nagging fear of another injury which isn't made easier by the fact that due to medical conditions I have pain every single moment meaning that I have to assess closely if the pain is the normal type or a sign of an exercise issue. My other ankle too had an injury a year ago so it isn't the most stabile either so I need to choose my running surface closely. I need to work on my running technique no matter how short distance I choose to start with since it will help me prevent injuries. Is there a good resource to teach it somewhere?

I want to be able to run again meaning that I'm motivated to overcome the challenges despite having a bit of a different situation than most health-wise. It though won't stop me, I've checked with doctors that all that doesn't involve extra pain is fine. My goals might bit lower at first as if I overdo it I can easily have another ankle injury but when I get going it will go faster. Now I need to find my running shoes, try to find running programs from somewhere (I need to check if there's one that would progress at the right speed for me) and just get going.

• Like 1

Hiya, I think I might be a bit too lazy to be a scout :-) Can I ask a question about barefoot running though please?

It's a bit long winded but this is the background:
I started my first 6 week challenge last week with the plan to sort this mess out, go to the gym three times a week and C25K twice.

I've got a really old knee injury - the ITB whatever thingy complicated by other stuff the osteopath says isn't sinister but will take a while to sort out - so I'm in no hurry to get to 5K, I'm happy to be on week one for months if I need to.

About 3 months ago I got some vibram 5 fingers which are great, I can run without that horrible grinding pain in my knee. I'm used to walking barefoot at home and in the garden and there is nothing wrong with my feet, no pronation, arches are high but strong..... and I've built up to running a whole 60 seconds at a go now :-)

I'm not convinced my technique is at all right. I feel very heavy thumping down on my feet - granted I am a stone heavier than when I used to run more reguarly but is it just the extra weight, or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm not landing on my heels, I'm upright Also my stride is tiny, I can't seem to yomp like I used to and I've got good long legs that should fly over the ground.

Any tips much appreciated.

Hiya, I think I might be a bit too lazy to be a scout :-) Can I ask a question about barefoot running though please?

I started my first 6 week challenge last week with the plan to sort this mess out, go to the gym three times a week and C25K twice.

I've got a really old knee injury - the ITB whatever thingy complicated by other stuff the osteopath says isn't sinister but will take a while to sort out - so I'm in no hurry to get to 5K, I'm happy to be on week one for months if I need to.

About 3 months ago I got some vibram 5 fingers which are great, I can run without that horrible grinding pain in my knee. I'm used to walking barefoot at home and in the garden and there is nothing wrong with my feet, no pronation, arches are high but strong..... and I've built up to running a whole 60 seconds at a go now :-)

I'm not convinced my technique is at all right. I feel very heavy thumping down on my feet - granted I am a stone heavier than when I used to run more reguarly but is it just the extra weight, or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm not landing on my heels, I'm upright Also my stride is tiny, I can't seem to yomp like I used to and I've got good long legs that should fly over the ground.

Sounds like you're off to a good start already! We all go through the thumping stage to start off with. There are 2 things that you can/should do to improve your stride. The first is to take smaller steps. The smaller, the better. Aim for 3 steps per second. At first you'll feel like you're shuffling more than running, but this is the feeling you want at first.

The second thing to do is bend your knees. You need to use your body to absorb the shocks if running, especially as your speed increases. This will feel a not weird at first, but you'll get used to it. Try running completely barefoot and you'll do this naturally.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Oh BTW, it might be worth seeing a Physio about your ITB. I had ITBS bad when I started running and mine fixed it up in a couple of sessions.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're off to a good start already! We all go through the thumping stage to start off with. There are 2 things that you can/should do to improve your stride. The first is to take smaller steps. The smaller, the better. Aim for 3 steps per second. At first you'll feel like you're shuffling more than running, but this is the feeling you want at first.

The second thing to do is bend your knees. You need to use your body to absorb the shocks if running, especially as your speed increases. This will feel a not weird at first, but you'll get used to it. Try running completely barefoot and you'll do this naturally.

Oh BTW, it might be worth seeing a Physio about your ITB. I had ITBS bad when I started running and mine fixed it up in a couple of sessions.

phew, that is reassuring thanks. I've been researching barefoot running for a while and I've not found anyone mention the thumping.

I'm doing what feels like very small steps at the moment but I've been aiming to get them bigger, I'll try small, and I haven't even thought about my knees.

I've given up on the UK's NHS physio - when this all started 7 or so years ago they couldn't work out what I'd done and just gave me squats to do and told me not to run up hills. I've now got an osteopath who is a runner too and a PT who is a runner, between them they seem to be agreeing on what I should be doing - lots of walking to strengthen the knee and no pushing it too hard. Osteopath says I'm in for the long haul fixing it because it's not just the ITB thing any more, there is some other stuff going on. But she did give me the all clear to work on it which is great.

Really helpful advice, thank you!

Hello everybody!

I just completed my first 6 week challenge, and I thought that joining in would be nice.

With all my running, bikeing, swimming and some fencing I think you are the best bunch to join

Looking forward to some fun microchallenges!

Come and say hi, here, at my battle log or on one of my challenges :)

Welcome to the scouts.

Hi there, come on over to the scouts l am sure you will get a good welcome.

Were not all marathon runners, were not all superfit, we just like moving.

See you soon i hope.

• Like 1

Just got back from my run - still on week 1 of C25K but it went well so I'm going to try week 2 on Thursday.

I bent my knees and I was pushing off from the balls of my feet - is that right? It felt a lot less heavy. I was sort of landing on the middle of my feet then rolling up to get spring for the next step - and they were tiny little steps too!

Going to the osteopath today to check a couple of twinges that happened yesterday at the gym when I was fast walking up a slope on the treadmill but no twinges at all running today. And with the 5 fingers my toes are getting straighter :-)

• Like 1

Vibrams Seeyas on my feet, I bounded across pavement, concrete, grass, hopped up on and over a couple of large rocks, and stretched myself. I jogged, I walked, and I sweated. Felt good. My quads burned on the way home. They feel AMAZING now.

I'll sign up for the challenge, but I was born a scout. My bike is yearning for riding, too... perhaps tomorrow.

• Like 3

You know Scouts are AWESOME.  Just saying!

We all may love to run or bike or swim or hike or walk BUT many of us love to work on flexibility, strength, and meditation.  Running and biking are my sanity.  Granted those are usually part of helping us go longer or faster or go at all.  LOL  Some are fast.  Some are slow.  Some are happy to go for 1 minute.  Some are happy to go for 99 miles.  The one thing we all share is that we are happy to just going and supporting each other in the process.

:)

• Like 2

Hi I'm new here at nerd fitness and I'm trying to find which guild would fit best with my interests. At the moment, my workouts consist of going to the gym and working out on aerobics machines such as the elliptical or precore. I also go running and biking. However, I'm also interested in trying new things such as boxing and rock climbing and incorporating more strength training into my workouts. With this in mind, I don't really know where I fit; scout, ranger, or assassin?

• Like 1

You could easily fit into any of the three.   Most scouts do strength and have a wide variety of cross training activities.  I run, bike, hike, use dumbbells, swim, recently started to incorporate some rucking, and enjoy playing with a sledgehammer for a workout.  Some scouts are into distance, others speed, and many are just happy to work through a training program for the first time.  You can do a challenge in any guild at any time and you can change guilds as your training changes.  There  are a few that never choose a guild too.  

If you have not participated in a challenge (assuming you want to) all first time folks are asked to do it in the recruit section.  However that does not and should not stop you from popping into the general chat area of different guilds and saying hi or asking questions about anything along with checking out challenges of folks that sound interesting.    

Hello, Scouts!

Since the guilds got rearranged, I have been wondering where I could fit in. Would nordic walking be a Scout discipline? I can't see it fitting anywhere else. It's the only thing I do for now, but I am still in the beginning stages. Like first on the left here:

nw6.jpg

So, once this challenge is over, would I have a place in the Scouts? With just nordic walking? (for now) 

• Like 1

Hello, Scouts!

Since the guilds got rearranged, I have been wondering where I could fit in. Would nordic walking be a Scout discipline? I can't see it fitting anywhere else. It's the only thing I do for now, but I am still in the beginning stages. Like first on the left here:

So, once this challenge is over, would I have a place in the Scouts? With just nordic walking? (for now) 

Doesn't hurt our feelings if you'd like to come over and join the Scouts :)

• Like 1

Hello, Scouts!

nw6.jpg

Um yup!  If it has you out and moving we are all about it.  ;)   Cruise on by the Scouts Tavern and say hi!  I know I would like to learn more about Nordic Walking and what you like best about it for sure.

• Like 1

Hi folks - I have choosen Scouts as a class in NFA and am mostly drawn towards it because of the running quests. My question is, since I dont have a bike and consistent access to a pool, should I look for another class? My overall goal is to get back into consistent running and enter some races along the while obviously continuing to stay strong and healthy. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all!

Hi folks - I have choosen Scouts as a class in NFA and am mostly drawn towards it because of the running quests. My question is, since I dont have a bike and consistent access to a pool, should I look for another class? My overall goal is to get back into consistent running and enter some races along the while obviously continuing to stay strong and healthy. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all!

Not all scouts do swim/bike/run - mostly we are about endurance - so if you're looking to run farther and faster then Scouts are for you!