• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CalvinHobbes

Thinking about joining the Rangers?! We'd love to have you!

Hello Adventurers! Ready to venture out of the Adventurer class and into another group? Here's some information on the Rangers.

Rangers try to be skilled at everything: strong but nimble, capable in bodyweight and barbell training, able to hold their own stamina-wise, and adaptable to any situation. We're always looking to improve our weakest asset. 

Some Rangers are CrossFitters, but not all--you definitely don't need to be do CrossFit to be a Ranger. Many members will have goals that consist of gaining strength, endurance, and mobility all at the same time. A general idea is "functional strength."

The best part about being a Ranger: your goals are entirely specific to the Ranger you envision yourself being. Want to be an incredibly strong Ranger with some endurance? Do it! Rather run marathons but continue with bodyweight and/or barbell training? Glad to have you! 

Some real-life examples:

• Gerard Butler in 300
  • Annie Thorisdottir, "Iceland Anne", two time CrossFit Games winner

So, do you think you have what it takes to be a Ranger? All you have to do is sign up on the sign up form for the next challenge and select your guild on the sign up form! 

Feel free to either reply on this form, or message me, Nightlight, KnightWatch, or Spooky-Rach if you have any questions! We look forward to having you on our team!

• Like 14

I am considering moving guilds... Leaving my security blanket... Maybe...

The big goal I have coming up is a 100km bike ride in October. I have managed 80km as my furthest earlier this year but being winter here (Australia) means I need to retrain my bum in accepting the saddle.

I do a bit of everything... At the moment strength training with a PT, yoga, Taekwondo, walking and am increasing my cycling.

I probably fit with the rangers... But how do I know when it's time to go?

• Like 2

Being a Ranger sounds awesome... I have never heard of CrossFIt. I just looked it up now and it looks interesting. I am a total newbie... not sure if I should start out as adventurer for my first challenge, or whether I should jump straight into being a Ranger.

• Like 1

I am considering moving guilds... Leaving my security blanket... Maybe...

The big goal I have coming up is a 100km bike ride in October. I have managed 80km as my furthest earlier this year but being winter here (Australia) means I need to retrain my bum in accepting the saddle.

I do a bit of everything... At the moment strength training with a PT, yoga, Taekwondo, walking and am increasing my cycling.

I probably fit with the rangers... But how do I know when it's time to go?

Whenever you want to go is time to go :) 

Being a Ranger sounds awesome... I have never heard of CrossFIt. I just looked it up now and it looks interesting. I am a total newbie... not sure if I should start out as adventurer for my first challenge, or whether I should jump straight into being a Ranger.

Either way works! A lot of people like to start off with the Adventurers, but some people do like to jump straight into the guild they want to join. It's all about your goals and where you want to be :) 

• Like 2

Dear leaders, hello!

I am in search of the guild I would like to join!

I have a weight-loss goal (being included in a wider intention of being healthier).

I am a woman, as of today I weight 85kg (187 lbs) and would like to weight 72 kg (159 lbs).  I like the idea of polyvalence!

My idea is to get fitter, agile, with a good endurance.

My history can be read here but let's say that I started to be healthier in February with lots of cardio, some results but not satisfying enough. Reading NF blog I understood that : diet was 80% of the weight loss and strength training is much more efficient than cardio.

I started bodyweight and free weight training with a trainer on 2nd July and I really love it! An example of one of my session:

1500 meters indoor rowing machine

1 minute rope jump

50 walking lunges with a 5 kg wheel

30 kettle ball swing (9 kg ball)

20 jumps on a 50 cms step

3 series of 3 abs/core exercices

I had my 7th session this morning :)

So my routine since july is :

3 X Bodyweight training

2 x Cardio / fun classes (spinning, zumba)

Et voilà!

So now rangers chiefs, how would I fit with you? :)

...cookies?

Brilliant!

• Like 1

I'm in!

I'm a humble wood elf who has been slumming it with the adventurers since the beginning of the year. While it's been lovely, it's time to move on and I've always seen myself with the rangers... if only because it's my favourite class in NWNs. Obviously, as a wood elf, my preferred activity is hiking through the - you guessed it! - woods, but I also enjoy rollerblading, golfing - both regular and disc, yoga, gardening and my all-time-favourite activity: cooking!

My diet has been slowly moving its way towards paleo for the last year, and I'm really concentrating on eating local, whole foods this summer (with varying degrees of success) - I have a CSA veggie box, and one of my goals for next challenge is going to be to use everything in it each week.

I love the idea of functional strength, too - my ultimate life goal is to homestead, and I know I need to be tough as nails to survive that. While I can't say that I particularly enjoy lifting heavy things (I want to! I just... don't) I have been working on my chin/pull ups, and have seen much improvement. Much like my absolute least favourite activity - running - I think I need to find something where the activity serves a greater purpose beyond "getting fit" (IE. I don't mind running if it's in a game, but I hate "going for a jog").

Anyways, that's me, and my preferences, and my goals... Can I come play? (My mom says it's ok!)

• Like 2

Hi,

I think I'm Ranger, I do 20 minutes of cardio (but I try to push it) then another 50 or 60 minutes of weight training. I'm currently up to 85kgs on the Lat mach.

Oh and I have started dead lifting too :)

This are my long term goals...

1) Do one or all of this bodyweight exercises before the end of the year: keep a free handstand for 60/ Do 10 Hanging straight legs raises/ do a  kip-up/ do a cartwheel
2) attend a triathlon before next summer
3) find and maintain an optimal BF% (<13%) by the end of this summer.

as a gift for this summer I bought myself some bodyweight workouts and diet books and I'm going to use them..I'm very undecided between rangers,assassins and scouts. Running has been always my passion ( I run a marathon and several halfs and 10-5k) but now I'm really into bodyweight excercise and I'm really putting a lot of effort to improve the reps of the exercises and do new exercises. I think I'll join the assassins or the rangers for the next challenges and then join the scouts when I start to train seriously for my first triathlon.

any thoughts, ideas which one should I choose between ranger and assassins?

P.S. sorry again for my English but I'm not a native speaker and I'm usually in a hurry when I write:P

I'm in!

I'm a humble wood elf who has been slumming it with the adventurers since the beginning of the year. While it's been lovely, it's time to move on and I've always seen myself with the rangers... if only because it's my favourite class in NWNs. Obviously, as a wood elf, my preferred activity is hiking through the - you guessed it! - woods, but I also enjoy rollerblading, golfing - both regular and disc, yoga, gardening and my all-time-favourite activity: cooking!

My diet has been slowly moving its way towards paleo for the last year, and I'm really concentrating on eating local, whole foods this summer (with varying degrees of success) - I have a CSA veggie box, and one of my goals for next challenge is going to be to use everything in it each week.

I love the idea of functional strength, too - my ultimate life goal is to homestead, and I know I need to be tough as nails to survive that. While I can't say that I particularly enjoy lifting heavy things (I want to! I just... don't) I have been working on my chin/pull ups, and have seen much improvement. Much like my absolute least favourite activity - running - I think I need to find something where the activity serves a greater purpose beyond "getting fit" (IE. I don't mind running if it's in a game, but I hate "going for a jog").

Anyways, that's me, and my preferences, and my goals... Can I come play? (My mom says it's ok!)

slumming it, eh? :P

I think this is actually a great fit for you Panz.  It certainly sounds like you like to do a bit of everything (cept lifting and running - hehe). 

I'm just getting started, but I think I'm definitely a ranger. I'm slowly building up running while working on weight training. And I love to hike. :) Despite my hobbity ways. 

• Like 1

I am thinking of going Ranger after one or two more challenges in the adventurers. This past challenge i started doing crossfit workouts and really enjoyed it. I am thinking of doing a weight lifting/crossfit trade regime. I am about to start a 8 week weight lifting/cardio routine then 6-8 weeks of crossfit workouts. I plan on doing it once to see how i like it. If I dont I will probably just go straight crossfit. 

This looks like the guild for me.  I'm a long time reader of the site but have never had the gumption to post or anything.  I just moved to a new city, am about to start in a new university, and would love a new me!  This six week challenge that's about to start on Monday may be just what I need!

Dear leaders, hello!

I am in search of the guild I would like to join!

I have a weight-loss goal (being included in a wider intention of being healthier).

I am a woman, as of today I weight 85kg (187 lbs) and would like to weight 72 kg (159 lbs).  I like the idea of polyvalence!

My idea is to get fitter, agile, with a good endurance.

My history can be read here but let's say that I started to be healthier in February with lots of cardio, some results but not satisfying enough. Reading NF blog I understood that : diet was 80% of the weight loss and strength training is much more efficient than cardio.

I started bodyweight and free weight training with a trainer on 2nd July and I really love it! An example of one of my session:

1500 meters indoor rowing machine

1 minute rope jump

50 walking lunges with a 5 kg wheel

30 kettle ball swing (9 kg ball)

20 jumps on a 50 cms step

3 series of 3 abs/core exercices

I had my 7th session this morning :)

So my routine since july is :

3 X Bodyweight training

2 x Cardio / fun classes (spinning, zumba)

Et voilà!

So now rangers chiefs, how would I fit with you? :)

Brilliant!

You'd fit in well! We'd love to have you around!

I'm in!

Ask your mom, and if you're over 18 definitely come play!

Hi,

I think I'm Ranger, I do 20 minutes of cardio (but I try to push it) then another 50 or 60 minutes of weight training. I'm currently up to 85kgs on the Lat mach.

Oh and I have started dead lifting too :)

Welcome to the rangers! Glad to have you around.

This are my long term goals...

1) Do one or all of this bodyweight exercises before the end of the year: keep a free handstand for 60/ Do 10 Hanging straight legs raises/ do a  kip-up/ do a cartwheel

2) attend a triathlon before next summer

3) find and maintain an optimal BF% (<13%) by the end of this summer.

as a gift for this summer I bought myself some bodyweight workouts and diet books and I'm going to use them..I'm very undecided between rangers,assassins and scouts. Running has been always my passion ( I run a marathon and several halfs and 10-5k) but now I'm really into bodyweight excercise and I'm really putting a lot of effort to improve the reps of the exercises and do new exercises. I think I'll join the assassins or the rangers for the next challenges and then join the scouts when I start to train seriously for my first triathlon.

any thoughts, ideas which one should I choose between ranger and assassins?

P.S. sorry again for my English but I'm not a native speaker and I'm usually in a hurry when I write:P

My only thought is to join whichever guild you want :)

I'm just getting started, but I think I'm definitely a ranger. I'm slowly building up running while working on weight training. And I love to hike. :) Despite my hobbity ways. 

Welcome! We have lots of hikers.

I am thinking of going Ranger after one or two more challenges in the adventurers. This past challenge i started doing crossfit workouts and really enjoyed it. I am thinking of doing a weight lifting/crossfit trade regime. I am about to start a 8 week weight lifting/cardio routine then 6-8 weeks of crossfit workouts. I plan on doing it once to see how i like it. If I dont I will probably just go straight crossfit. 

Wooo another CrossFitter! You'll fit right in. 

This looks like the guild for me.  I'm a long time reader of the site but have never had the gumption to post or anything.  I just moved to a new city, am about to start in a new university, and would love a new me!  This six week challenge that's about to start on Monday may be just what I need!

Glad to have you! Good luck in your new adventures and welcome to the wild adventures of Nerd Fitness Challenges!

Hi Rangers, I'm a newbie who would like to participate in the upcoming 6 week challenge and I am wondering which guild I should do it with. I am trying to decide between Adventurers (because I am a newbie) and Rangers (because I strongly suspect I will end up as one anyway!)

I did Couch to 5k about two years ago and since then have been running 5k about once a week, but not timing myself or pushing myself to go any faster or longer, partly because I keep slacking off for a couple weeks and then just running 5k feels like a challenge again! I also had a cheap university gym membership for six months last year and during that time experimented with Zumba, Boxing and the rowing and elliptical machines. Unfortunately, because I was intimidated by the big scary boys I didn't go near the free weights section once (stupid past self!) I have recently started going partner dancing once a week and although I'm not great at it, I have a lot of fun. Not long ago I discovered Nerd Fitness and the whole philosophy of the rebellion really resonated with me. I did the Beginner Bodyweight circuit for the first time last night and loved it! (I am really feeling the DOMS today, and I love that too!) As you can probably guess from my mixed-up exercise experiences, I definitely identify with the "jack-of-all-trades" philosophy of the Rangers. My long-term goals will include both running longer and faster and becoming stronger. If I end up participating in the six-week challenge, these will be my short-term goals:

Fitness goals:

1. Run 5k in under 30 minutes

2. Do 100 consecutive body weight squats

3. Do 1 pull-up 

"Level up your life" goal:

4. Achieve 5 Flylady stickers OR an overall tick score of 75% for the six weeks (this probably doesn't make much sense - it has to do with me following my weekly housekeeping routines - I get ticks for making my bed, tidying my bedroom for 15 minutes, remembering to check my calendar etc and 75% of boxes ticked for a week means I get a sticker - it sounds silly but it does help me to stay organised) 

With those goals, which guild would you recommend I join for the challenge? Sorry for the hideously long post! 

Hi Rangers, I'm a newbie who would like to participate in the upcoming 6 week challenge and I am wondering which guild I should do it with. I am trying to decide between Adventurers (because I am a newbie) and Rangers (because I strongly suspect I will end up as one anyway!)

I did Couch to 5k about two years ago and since then have been running 5k about once a week, but not timing myself or pushing myself to go any faster or longer, partly because I keep slacking off for a couple weeks and then just running 5k feels like a challenge again! I also had a cheap university gym membership for six months last year and during that time experimented with Zumba, Boxing and the rowing and elliptical machines. Unfortunately, because I was intimidated by the big scary boys I didn't go near the free weights section once (stupid past self!) I have recently started going partner dancing once a week and although I'm not great at it, I have a lot of fun. Not long ago I discovered Nerd Fitness and the whole philosophy of the rebellion really resonated with me. I did the Beginner Bodyweight circuit for the first time last night and loved it! (I am really feeling the DOMS today, and I love that too!) As you can probably guess from my mixed-up exercise experiences, I definitely identify with the "jack-of-all-trades" philosophy of the Rangers. My long-term goals will include both running longer and faster and becoming stronger. If I end up participating in the six-week challenge, these will be my short-term goals:

Fitness goals:

1. Run 5k in under 30 minutes

2. Do 100 consecutive body weight squats

3. Do 1 pull-up 

"Level up your life" goal:

4. Achieve 5 Flylady stickers OR an overall tick score of 75% for the six weeks (this probably doesn't make much sense - it has to do with me following my weekly housekeeping routines - I get ticks for making my bed, tidying my bedroom for 15 minutes, remembering to check my calendar etc and 75% of boxes ticked for a week means I get a sticker - it sounds silly but it does help me to stay organised) 

With those goals, which guild would you recommend I join for the challenge? Sorry for the hideously long post! 

I love Fly Lady! Well, I sort of love her. I need to get back into it (goal for next challenge!) but I was frustrated with how many e-mails I was receiving from them daily--it was overwhelming!

If you want to jump right into the Rangers, you'll fit right in! If you'd rather go with the Adventurers for a challenge, you'd also fit right in there, so it's entirely up to you :)

I love Fly Lady! Well, I sort of love her. I need to get back into it (goal for next challenge!) but I was frustrated with how many e-mails I was receiving from them daily--it was overwhelming!

If you want to jump right into the Rangers, you'll fit right in! If you'd rather go with the Adventurers for a challenge, you'd also fit right in there, so it's entirely up to you :)

Thanks for the reply! I agree that the incessant FlyLady emails can get annoying - I personally am signed up for "FlyLady Lite" so I only get one a day. I read the flight plan and occasionally the "Thought for the day", then immediately delete it. If I forget to check email for a few days I read only that day's email and delete all previous ones without reading them. I feel like FlyLady herself would approve of this method of attempting to keep my inbox clutter-free! 

Hello Ranger

Just wanted to ask a few questions and I am hoping that you are able to give me advice or at least point me in the right direction.

I am new to Nerd Fitness and looking to find a group of like minded people who share some of the same goals as me.

I will tell you a bit about me, my training and eating habbits, and hopefully you can tell me if I am ranger or something else.

I started really dieting and losing weight from Jan 2013, and lost nearly 4 stone (56lb / 25kg) in weight, I want to lose some more, tone up and get ripped, I want a 6 pack.

I am in the gym 6-7 days a week. My standard week would be:

Mon: Metabolic Training - cardio, low weights, high reps. More towards HIIT in style.

Tues: Personal Training Pln, this is now a mix of weighted squats, deadlifts, and squt press with a pulse raiser between each set. There is also 2x 5 min runs, a 10 min row and a 10 min spin bike, all before some ads work.

Weds: Personal Training session - Trainer decides as I don't want to know until I am doing it.

Thurs: Spinning Class

Fri: Metabolic Training - cardio, low weights, high reps. More towards HIIT in style.

Sat: Strength and conditoning training, a bit like Monday / fri sessions but more weight

Sun: Sometimes a day off, if not, then the same as tuesday.

My diet, I am following paleo 100% and staying on plan, I have a 2 week plan that I have to say I really like, it works for me.

So with that in mind, am I a Ranger or should I be part of another guild?

I want to take on the next challenge and my goals will be:

Dead Lift more weight (currently 40kg)

Run for 10 mins non stop

Lose a certain amount of weight.

Track food for two weeks.

Let me know what you think.

Hey guys!

I am relatively new to Nerd Fitness. Read through a bunch of the articles posted (which I love) and thought ranger was the best fit. I actually built up a whole character based on the real life roleplaying articles and the previous challenge stuff I looked at. I would love to get involved in the next challenge as a Ranger but am not completley sure how to do it. I have a few goal ideas in mind (steps per day, water drinking, etc... starting point goals) but would love a little guidance as I get myself prepped for this coming challenge. It's probably just newbie nerves, but it's enough that the help would be nice, you know?

New challenge rules posted asking first timers to not do a guild this time. That is fine with me. :) I will see you guys next challenge.

I just joined about 30 minutes ago and wrote my introduction post.

I decided on rangers because...well rangers rock, the idea of being able to lift 2x my body weight or more makes me feel like I have to potential to become some sort of woman/ant hybrid. It's almost like being a super hero without the lawsuits or people trying to harm you or your family.

I don't really have time for a Gym yet, that'll change once I'm back to commuting to school, but I do know that I can use my own body-weight to help me lose. I'm trying really hard to take out the excuses form my routine before I even build it because I'm good at talking myself into and out of things. If I make this seem possible to my stubborn head then it will be possible.