• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CalvinHobbes

Thinking about joining the Rangers?! We'd love to have you!

Hey Rangers - I'm respawning with earnest today, put up my challenge post and am looking forward to getting through this one so I can join the Rangers proper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On 20 July 2016 at 9:20 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Let me bring @Machete and @KB Girl girl into the whole kettlebell discussion...

This tagging option is really pretty awesome. But kettlebell discussions are torture, because they're difficult to have with a mix of hardstyle people and y'know, people who do it for sport. Not because we have very different opinions (we don't really) we're just talking about two entirely different things.

• Like 4

On 8/1/2016 at 8:32 AM, KB Girl said:

This tagging option is really pretty awesome. But kettlebell discussions are torture, because they're difficult to have with a mix of hardstyle people and y'know, people who do it for sport. Not because we have very different opinions (we don't really) we're just talking about two entirely different things.

Yeah, we had a guy who was competing in GS at our SFG 2 cert, and he had a lot of trouble learning the Hardstyle Jerk (though the Chief SFG didn't really see anything wrong with his). It's really a lot like Boxers and MMA fighters talking about punching. Discussions in other places tend to get quite nasty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Machete said:

Yeah, we had a guy who was competing in GS at our SFG 2 cert, and he had a lot of trouble learning the Hardstyle Jerk (though the Chief SFG didn't really see anything wrong with his). It's really a lot like Boxers and MMA fighters talking about punching. Discussions in other places tend to get quite nasty.

Punching people at least has the same goal, difference between GS and hardstyle is mostly the difference in what the goal is.. And funny, I didn't realise the jerk was also different enough to notice. But then again, no clue why a GS dude would want to learn a hardstyle jerk :D

• Like 1

There seems to be quite a difference. That efficient energy transfer and timing executed by GS competitors is insane. We just brace and catch. That's probably why I can only get like 10 reps max on the Long Cycle.

Haha. He's actually an exercise physiologist who uses kettlebells for rehab/performance, so he's not tied to one ideology, and I guess has a foot in both, trying to learn from everybody.

Hi,

I'm new here and am looking for a supportive group. I feel myself mostly drawn towards the Rangers. I want to do all the things. More interesting in building all round functional fitness than focusing on anything specific. I have a relatively short attention span and I like to keep things varied.

My primary goal at this time is to reach and maintain a healthy weight.. Its a long slow battle and I am determined to do this in a healthy sustainable way. To achieve real lifestyle changes rather than chasing short term results.

So I'm looking to join the Rangers guild. Will you have me?

• Like 5

Hi,

I'm new here and am looking for a supportive group. I feel myself mostly drawn towards the Rangers. I want to do all the things. More interesting in building all round functional fitness than focusing on anything specific. I have a relatively short attention span and I like to keep things varied.

My primary goal at this time is to reach and maintain a healthy weight.. Its a long slow battle and I am determined to do this in a healthy sustainable way. To achieve real lifestyle changes rather than chasing short term results.

Heck yeah we'll have you! :)

Do you need any help creating your challenge? The Rangers has been like a second home for me since I joined them last summer. The supports is pretty crazy over with the Rangers and we would love to have you, JonFirestar!

Holler if you need any help, my friend.

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Hi,

Sounds like a classic case of Rangerbrain to me :D  A lot of us are extremely varied in what we do in terms of exercise - you'll fit right in! I hope you're planning on joining us for the upcoming challenge - feel free to drop a line if you have any questions!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Heck yeah we'll have you! :)

Do you need any help creating your challenge? The Rangers has been like a second home for me since I joined them last summer. The supports is pretty crazy over with the Rangers and we would love to have you, JonFirestar!

Holler if you need any help, my friend.

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

I've been kicking around some ideas for my challenge. Nothing formalized yet. I'm trying to make it challenging without making it impossible to commit to with a balance between fitness, study, lifestyle and recreation. I'm of course open to new ideas. I sometimes am guilty of trying to take on to much but where is the fun if there is no challenge.

Jon

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Raxie said:

Sounds like a classic case of Rangerbrain to me :D  A lot of us are extremely varied in what we do in terms of exercise - you'll fit right in! I hope you're planning on joining us for the upcoming challenge - feel free to drop a line if you have any questions!

I've been hearing about this RangerBrain. I believe I might have it bad :D . The Best way to get in shape is to keep your body guessing.  I'm ready to jump into the challenge. I'm kicking about some ideas I type.

• Like 4

Hi,

Welcome bro, moar Rangers the merrier 😀! If you need help with your challenge or want to bounce ideas off someone then hit me up and I'll do my best. What helped me lose a lot of weight initially was sticking with the Paleo diet and strategically planning meals (for me it was lunch). Overall the Rangers have been the most supportive group of people I've ever met and I'm sure you will love being with our guild!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

Welcome bro, moar Rangers the merrier ! If you need help with your challenge or want to bounce ideas off someone then hit me up and I'll do my best. What helped me lose a lot of weight initially was sticking with the Paleo diet and strategically planning meals (for me it was lunch). Overall the Rangers have been the most supportive group of people I've ever met and I'm sure you will love being with our guild!

Thanks man, feels good to be here :D! I agree totally with the strategic approach for planning meals. Lunch is a killer for me. I work just across the road from a shopping strip with a bunch of fast food joints and it is far, far too easy to not make myself lunch and nip over there. So pre-prepared lunches are a must. No excuses if all I need to do is grab it from the fridge. I'm still experimenting a little on exactly what works for me.

I might take you up on your offer. One of my goals is to stop trying to do everything by myself and to accept help and support. I can be a bit of an opinionated, know-it-all nerd but I recognise that attitude hasn't done me a lot of good so I'm working on it :)

• Like 2

Evening everyone! I have a lot I want to share and ask, but I'll try to keep it brief! (and probably fail)

Background

About 3yrs ago, I reached behind me for something and felt the fat on my back roll over itself...I'm gonna let that settle in for a minute...I had enough fat, on my back, that it ROLLED OVER ITSELF when I reached behind me! That was the "wake-up call" that I needed to do something. I went down a deep, dark rabbit-hole researching nutrition and fitness. Over the next year, I learned a LOT and utilized my own personalized version of the P90X exercises to drop from 225lbs down to 180lbs and dropped 6" from my waist size (woohoo!). From there, I've been stagnant for about 1.5yrs due to a combination of lax diet and spotty exercise. A month ago, I decided to recommit and really finish what I started! What I want to achieve is a high level of overall fitness (straight up, Ranger, right?!) while also getting nominal gains in BF% reduction, muscle mass, and overall capability. **I hate any form of cardio that entails running or equipment (which is why I really enjoyed the P90X routines for cardio).**

General Goals

-Be able to complete 10 wide grip pull-ups

-Be able to complete a PROPER one arm push-up

-Reduce BF% to eliminate the love handles that have been stubbornly hanging around.

Current Regiment

Mon AM - P90X Core routine (only 30mins due to time constraints)

Mon lunch - P90X Chest exercises (essentially, variations of push-ups)

Tue AM - P90X Plyometrics (only 30mins due to time constraints)

Tue lunch - P90X Back exercises (mix of pull-ups and some free weights)

Wed AM - 21min HIIT routine

Wed lunch - P90X Ab routine

Thur AM - 24min Yoga (fast-paced and emphasizing the core)

Thur lunch - P90X Tricep exercises (mix of bodyweight and free weights)

Fri AM - P90X Leg routine (only 30mins due to time constraints - mostly bodyweight exercises)

Fri lunch - P90X Bicep routine (free weights)

Sat AM - P90X Kenpo OR makeup for missed lunch exercises during the week

Sun AM - P90X Ab routine and P90X Shoulder exercises

My Question(s)

I've only been part of the rebellion for about 48hrs, but I'd love to tap into the positive energy and infinite wisdom I see is here! Based on my understanding so far, I think that I fit into the Ranger category. I like the concept of Assassin purely from the bodyweight exercises, but more research into them doesn't seem to fit with my preferences (climbing anything/everything, dance classes, etc). It appears that Ranger is where my heart lies (general fitness, jack of all trades, etc). All that to ask the question, "Am I in the right playground (Rangers) and, if so, "Will you have me?"

• Like 3

Thanks feel great to be here.

I've been kicking around some ideas for my challenge. Nothing formalized yet. I'm trying to make it challenging without making it impossible to commit to with a balance between fitness, study, lifestyle and recreation. I'm of course open to new ideas. I sometimes am guilty of trying to take on to much but where is the fun if there is no challenge.

Jon

That's a solid idea. I'm the same way with my challenges but I've had the pleasure of going WAY overboard and doing WAY to much lol. As long as you have fun with it, I always believe it will be a successful challenge ;)

The Balance is hard. But do what fits within your schedule and have fun- that's my suggestion.

Welcome bro, moar Rangers the merrier ! If you need help with your challenge or want to bounce ideas off someone then hit me up and I'll do my best. What helped me lose a lot of weight initially was sticking with the Paleo diet and strategically planning meals (for me it was lunch). Overall the Rangers have been the most supportive group of people I've ever met and I'm sure you will love being with our guild!

The Rangers really are the most supportive group of people I've met as well. #AddictedToTheGuild

Evening everyone! I have a lot I want to share and ask, but I'll try to keep it brief! (and probably fail)

Background

About 3yrs ago, I reached behind me for something and felt the fat on my back roll over itself...I'm gonna let that settle in for a minute...I had enough fat, on my back, that it ROLLED OVER ITSELF when I reached behind me! That was the "wake-up call" that I needed to do something. I went down a deep, dark rabbit-hole researching nutrition and fitness. Over the next year, I learned a LOT and utilized my own personalized version of the P90X exercises to drop from 225lbs down to 180lbs and dropped 6" from my waist size (woohoo!). From there, I've been stagnant for about 1.5yrs due to a combination of lax diet and spotty exercise. A month ago, I decided to recommit and really finish what I started! What I want to achieve is a high level of overall fitness (straight up, Ranger, right?!) while also getting nominal gains in BF% reduction, muscle mass, and overall capability. **I hate any form of cardio that entails running or equipment (which is why I really enjoyed the P90X routines for cardio).**

General Goals

-Be able to complete 10 wide grip pull-ups

-Be able to complete a PROPER one arm push-up

-Reduce BF% to eliminate the love handles that have been stubbornly hanging around.

Current Regiment

Mon AM - P90X Core routine (only 30mins due to time constraints)

Mon lunch - P90X Chest exercises (essentially, variations of push-ups)

Tue AM - P90X Plyometrics (only 30mins due to time constraints)

Tue lunch - P90X Back exercises (mix of pull-ups and some free weights)

Wed AM - 21min HIIT routine

Wed lunch - P90X Ab routine

Thur AM - 24min Yoga (fast-paced and emphasizing the core)

Thur lunch - P90X Tricep exercises (mix of bodyweight and free weights)

Fri AM - P90X Leg routine (only 30mins due to time constraints - mostly bodyweight exercises)

Fri lunch - P90X Bicep routine (free weights)

Sat AM - P90X Kenpo OR makeup for missed lunch exercises during the week

Sun AM - P90X Ab routine and P90X Shoulder exercises

My Question(s)

I've only been part of the rebellion for about 48hrs, but I'd love to tap into the positive energy and infinite wisdom I see is here! Based on my understanding so far, I think that I fit into the Ranger category. I like the concept of Assassin purely from the bodyweight exercises, but more research into them doesn't seem to fit with my preferences (climbing anything/everything, dance classes, etc). It appears that Ranger is where my heart lies (general fitness, jack of all trades, etc). All that to ask the question, "Am I in the right playground (Rangers) and, if so, "Will you have me?"

Definitely! I'm more bodyweight oriented and parkour inspired. We ruck around here too. There's actually lots of different personalities and workout schedules around these parts and it's refreshing because I feel like I've learned a lot from not just the Rangers but NF forum users in general. C'mon over! The tavern is plenty with ale and mead, dark corners to stalk and lurk and boisterous half-breeds like myself ;)

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

• Like 2

Hail!  I am BigBaldPaptimus Prime.  I have also been known as BigBaldPapa, BBP and TheBBP (which I believe is how I registered when I came here the first time) or just Jeremy.  I am a 42 year old male human who has fallen wayyyy far off of the path.  I do believe that I wish to join you all as a Ranger.

My background includes years of Wrestling and Football in school and some more Football when I served in the Marine Corps.  I got out of the Corps in October of 2005 and since I have made a terrible stand in regards to my health.  To shorten this up, just over a year ago, I weighed in at 499 pounds.  Today I am 440 and am struggling to fight.  I know where I want to go and I know what I want to do, but I am having the hardest time finding the desire.  I am hoping that spending time around others who are in similar battles will motivate me more than I am able to motivate myself.

I have an interest in obtaining a well-rounded fitness profile.  I would like to build muscle, but also master a healthy bodyweight.  I want to be able to do dips and pull-ups again.  As for running... meh.  I could enjoy getting cardio through kettlebells and other forms of cardio resistance, but am not looking forward to jogging for fitness.  At least not now.

Ultimately, I wish to get down to a goal weight of 225 so that I can re-evaluate where I want to go from there.  

I am SUPER glad to be here and hope to become an active member of this community.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BigBaldPaptimus Prime said:

Hail!  I am BigBaldPaptimus Prime.  I have also been known as BigBaldPapa, BBP and TheBBP (which I believe is how I registered when I came here the first time) or just Jeremy.  I am a 42 year old male human who has fallen wayyyy far off of the path.  I do believe that I wish to join you all as a Ranger.

My background includes years of Wrestling and Football in school and some more Football when I served in the Marine Corps.  I got out of the Corps in October of 2005 and since I have made a terrible stand in regards to my health.  To shorten this up, just over a year ago, I weighed in at 499 pounds.  Today I am 440 and am struggling to fight.  I know where I want to go and I know what I want to do, but I am having the hardest time finding the desire.  I am hoping that spending time around others who are in similar battles will motivate me more than I am able to motivate myself.

I have an interest in obtaining a well-rounded fitness profile.  I would like to build muscle, but also master a healthy bodyweight.  I want to be able to do dips and pull-ups again.  As for running... meh.  I could enjoy getting cardio through kettlebells and other forms of cardio resistance, but am not looking forward to jogging for fitness.  At least not now.

Ultimately, I wish to get down to a goal weight of 225 so that I can re-evaluate where I want to go from there.  

I am SUPER glad to be here and hope to become an active member of this community.  

Welcome to the Ranger Corps. Our next challenge starts Sunday, go over to the Ranger's guild in the current challenge thread and start a challenge thread. Also introduce yourself in the Ranger Chat thread in that same section of the forums. You are in the right place, there's a lot of ways to do cardio that don't involve running, and a lot of us are working on getting our body weight down.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Definitely! I'm more bodyweight oriented and parkour inspired. We ruck around here too. There's actually lots of different personalities and workout schedules around these parts and it's refreshing because I feel like I've learned a lot from not just the Rangers but NF forum users in general. C'mon over! The tavern is plenty with ale and mead, dark corners to stalk and lurk and boisterous half-breeds like myself ;)

W0lf

"Maximum Effort"

Thanks for the warm welcome! Where's that ale again?! :applause:

• Like 1

On 7/16/2013 at 10:41 AM, socialneuitrino said:

Being a Ranger sounds awesome... I have never heard of CrossFIt. I just looked it up now and it looks interesting. I am a total newbie... not sure if I should start out as adventurer for my first challenge, or whether I should jump straight into being a Ranger.

Im newbie too

• Like 1

Good afternoon, I am very interested in joining the Rangers Guild. My health goals are mainly to lose weight (about 80 lbs) and keep it off, become aerobically fit (I feel my childhood asthma starting to creep up again), and become physically strong. I used to swim in high school and what I miss the most about it that is I was in such great shape, I could jump from one sport to another and not even break a sweat. Five mile jogs, 12 mile bike rides, a weekend of rock climbing, backpacking, skiing, it did not matter. I was fit enough that I could just jump right into it. In other words, Master of none, jack of all trades. That's my end goal of fitness. My own Physical look does not really concern me, but I have become very unhealthy. So, I know what I need to do: Lots of aerobics and old fashioned conditioning to lose weight, stretching and/or yoga to increase core strength and flexibility, and some weight lifting to increase strength (at least initially). The thing is, unless there is a body of water, Im pretty clueless on what kind of exercises and specific details of a fitness plan I need to implement. Also, nutrition is perhaps the real problem and I know nothing that. 

I want to try tumbling and gymnastics to really learn and practice how to master my own body and movements, while also picking up some boxing and other martial arts to hone my body and mind in strenuous situations. So, I need help. I need a community to help guide me, keep me accountable, and support me to reach my goal. As i gain more knowledge, I look forward to sharing it with others and helping them out. Thank you

• Like 4

Welcome Mr. Pink. You're in the right place. Check out the current four week challenge and look at some Ranger's threads. I recommend starting with us the next 4 week challenge. You might also want to introduce yourself in the Ranger's general chat thread.

• Like 1