• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CalvinHobbes

Thinking about joining the Rangers?! We'd love to have you!

Hello Rangers,

I'm pretty new to this website, so I'm still learning the ropes. I've completed my intro post (still want to flesh it out more), and I've started my first six week challenge. I look forward to getting to know you guys and growing alongside you.

Hi all, new to the forms, currently in the process of rebooting my life, and this group looks like it is right up my alley.

Previously and currently I run because it is all that I know how to do. I am hoping to take up weight lifting soon. I am training for a Tough Mudder in my area come November to motivate myself to get back into shape and to give me a goal to get ready for.

I posted an introduction in the noob forms so I wont get too much into my background here. But after reading through the “What class are you thread†this one seemed like the best fit for what I wanted to strive for. I already have a head start at the Endurance aspect due to by background in distance running but I am sorely lacking in the strength training aspect.

Just looking for a group to ask questions of, and get support from.

Hmm, I suppose after 10 challenges I really should think about moving on from adventurer... will there be cookies?  I'm going for the spartan trifecta in the next 3 months which sounds like a ranger-y kind of thing to do.

Well met!

I've been lurking and reading around here for a few days now and have decided to jump in.

It seems like Ranger would be the right fit for me.  Why?  Well, I'll explain who I am.

I'm a 34 year old husband and father.  6'4" and 225lbs-ish.

I used to be a hiker and weight lifter.  That is, until injures stopped me.  During a barefoot run, my right foot slid into a divot while I was coming around a turn.  The foot twisted and sprained the planter fascia (the tendons in the arch of the foot).  It was bad enough that I had to have a cast then air cast on for almost 9 months.  9 months of just going to work, going home, sitting and eating.

After I healed, I ended up getting hurt *again*.  Playing walleyball, a jumping person landed on my right foot and slammed into me.  My foot stayed put, my body didn't.  This resulted in a fracture of the ankle and grade 2 sprain.  This took around 6 months for me to be able to walk normally again.

These injuries to my right foot and ankle leading to such extended downtimes took their toll.  I recovered but had lost motivation.  I had gotten used to coming home from work and sitting down.  I kept telling myself "i'll get back on the ball tomorrow".  That was just over two years ago, when I hurt my ankle.  Around 4 years from the foot injury.  4 years that passed with very little working out done.  Now, I'm soft.  I'm easily tired.  I've grown weak.

I'm not happy.

About a month ago I finally had enough.  I started doing bodyweight workouts and working on cardio.  I've made some gains but not enough. 

I've done the Appalachian trail.  I've climbed the Diamondhead crater on Oahu.  I've hiked all through the Waimea Canyon (if you've seen Jurassic Park you've seen this canyon).  I've hiked the cliffs along Lake Superior in northern Michigan.  I drug myself along the Na'Pali coast on Kauai.  I've scrambled over fallen trees over chasms and leapt from boulder to boulder.

I want to hike again.  I want to climb again.  I want to be healthy again. I want to be strong again.  I want to strap 50lbs on my back and make natural obstacles my *****.  I want to live.  I want to be a better example for my daughter.

So, here I am.  Looking to lift heavy, boost endurance, balance my body and see the sights of the world again.  I want to pull myself up over obstacles in the world and push many miles into the wilderness.  It looks like Ranger would be my best fit.

So here I am.

• Like 2

Hi everyone! I think this might be the guild for me. I'm currently doing my first challenge. My main goal is weight/fat loss but basically I want to be fit in all aspects. I want to be strong, flexible and have good endurance. I want to be ready for anything life throws at me whether it is an adventure of some kind or being physically able to protect myself. I'll be joining you soon!

Hello everyone!

I am new to the NF forums and am looking to join a guild but not quite sure where I would fit. :rolleyes-new:   I am thinking the Rangers would be the place.  I'm short (5'1") 42 yrs old and 200 lbs. In my younger days I was a dancer (ballet, tap, jazz, ballroom) so part of me thinks I would fall under a Monk for some reason :nonchalance: .  Long story short,  I'm taking small steps towards a Paleo lifestyle.  Right now the only exercise I have started is the elliptical 3x per week.  I am ready to incorporate some strength training next week. (little steps!!!).  I do have bad knees but I'm going to work around that.  Any help or thoughts with my profession would be appreciated.

amdeaner

Hey all!

I am also new to NF Forums and this guild screams to me!. I am rather a monk( I was an MMA fighter). But after I started college I stopped fighting and exercising. Now am trying to get back on track and completely change my life style. Since I don't have time to train 8 hours a day anymore, I am going to focus on Cross-Fit training and sprinting to hopefully burn some calories and get back in shape. I'm currently doing the Paleo Diet which scares me because I have no idea on how to cook and I've started a program at Home to get back in Shape(my post about program is in Program section of the forum) so any help or thoughts would also be greatly appreciated.

:livid:

The ranger path appeals to me as I like the idea of functional fitness.  Though I might multiclass with monk as I was hoping to get back into martial arts.  There's a capoeira group locally, which looks like it would be really fun.

In college, friends sometimes called me Werewolf because of my face, my hair, and the fact that cold didn't seem to bother me.  I'd walk across the quad in the middle of January during a snowstorm with no coat on because it just wasn't cold enough to me to bother putting one on.  So I thought of training in a way that would actually make me look like a candidate for playing a movie monster.  More tone than mass, agile, and a lot of endurance.  Besides that, werewolf and ranger just makes sense as a combination.

I'm 28 years old, 5'10", 215 lbs.  My weight really got away from me for two reasons.  One, I'm a writer so I ended up getting into the zone and spending way more time at my desk than was healthy.  And two, I have one of those broad, Slavic frames that hid my weight really well until a couple years ago.  I've moved back in with family as my student loans are pretty bad and my income has been... let's call it inconsistent.  Turns out most companies tell you to go out of your way in the name of customer service, but actually get bent out of shape when you do.  Anyway, this means my assets are a bit limited, at least for another few months.  So I have to start small and work my way up.

One of the first things I want to do is try the paleo diet for a month and see what results I can get.  I know processed foods are a problem for me.  Too much bread.  I tried making giant shifts all at once, but I can't split my willpower up between things that well, so I need to instead work on phasing things out.  The good news is that I love to cook and have recently discovered a new love of Thai food.  I've actually found a site where you can get cooking classes with professional chefs for $75, so that's on my birthday list this year.  I'm going for one of the Thai classes, and maybe Greek or Moroccan after that when I have enough for a second class.

One of the main reasons I want to get my health up to par is because in addition to being a writer, I also make money as a performer and speaker.  My appearance is an important part of my job, and I feel a bit self-conscious seeing pictures of myself with my gut sagging over the waistline of my pants and my neck slowly starting to inflate.  I'd feel a lot better and more professional if I knew I looked like someone who takes care of himself.  I know that might sound vain, but I just don't like seeing myself like this and knowing I could do better.

So the first goal in mind would be to try and knock my weight down to a more manageable 200 lbs.  I tried cardio, but I'd spend an hour on the eliptical 5 days a week and the scale seemed to perpetually hover between 214-220 lbs.  I went a month without making a single dent in that figure.  Diet obviously was part of the problem, but I'm starting to think that I'm doing this wrong.

• Like 1

Our Ranger Army of Doom continues to grow.... muahhahahahahha

<<cackles gleefully>>

WELCOME.... welcome to the fold!!!

he he he

yes rangers are awesome- and yes- we have cookies.

Greetings rangers!

I'm new to the Nerd Fitness 'verse and looking for some support.  Yesterday I turned 22, and by the time I turn 23, I want to be in the best shape of my life.

I want to be a ranger for a very simple reason: just over a year from now, I intend to join the United States Marine Corp.   I have been an athlete for most of my life but I hit a bump in the road, known as graduation.  While in college, I played soccer and lacrosse, so I was always in pretty good shape (minus my study abroad semester of course, too many delicious and fattening international foods).  But now I don't have someone pushing me every day to go and workout.  So here I am, looking for fellow fitness enthusiasts to help me reach my optimal fitness level.  

My first goal is to be able to do a full pull in 3 weeks (upper body has always been a weakness of mine).  I have a pull up bar, but I was wondering if anyone had any other workouts I could do to strengthen the right muscles.  I do not have access to a gym, but I have two five pound dumbell weights.  I am also easing my way into the Paleo diet, not because of weight but in the hopes that it will help me gain muscle mass.  I started Daily Burn a couple weeks ago, but with my lousy internet access, the videos don't always work very well.

I would appreciate any support and advice from my fellow rangers!

Howdy!

I am still fairly new to Nerd Fitness and I am currently going through my first 6-week challenge. I was trying to decide what guild I wanted to be apart of when I was finished and since I am pretty much a dilettante in real life.... I think the Ranger Guild is the one for me!

If you guys and gals will have me, I will be here after my first challenge is completed!! Looking forward to being a part of this awesome guild! :)

I'd like to be a ranger! I'm new to this whole thing but I like body weight, and weight lifting. I'm trying to build up strength and endurance while losing fat so this seems perfect for me! 

Im signing on as a ranger. Im currently recovering from ankle surgery but before I was very active with running and light body weight training since I had to for the military. BW training never bothered me and I sarted to enjoy it some till my surgery kind of put a kibosh on that. Ill be honest Iv never been fond of weight lifting but I know I need to do a little at least to get where I truly want to be. I dont care to be ripped but Id like to do a spartan race (5k) and a zombie run at least. Looking at getting a regular 7 speed cruiser bike to help since I cant run till at least January. Looking forward to getting back in shape and joining the ranks of the rangers.

Hiya!

Ive decided the Ranger class is the one for me!

Ive always been stronger than average but Id love to find ways to improve my flexibility, cardio, and also to slim down a bit. After having to stop playing college ball and get a good job for school I have not had much opportunity or the motivation to stay in the shape I was.

Im looking for a fellow Ranger to buddy up with. My issue with workouts is I have a hard time staying motivated so I was hoping to find someone working out in a similar matter and be able to check in with them frequently.

Hit me up if you need a buddy and are committed to a frequent workout!

Its time to level up!

-Alex

Hey everyone, totally new to the Nerd Fitness community.  Wrote my intro post yesterday and just perusing the forums now.  Looks like the Ranger is the best fit for me and am hoping to join you guys.  How does the level 1 challenge work?  Can I start in mid challenge or do I have to wait until the next challenge period?  Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hiya!

Ive decided the Ranger class is the one for me!

Ive always been stronger than average but Id love to find ways to improve my flexibility, cardio, and also to slim down a bit. After having to stop playing college ball and get a good job for school I have not had much opportunity or the motivation to stay in the shape I was.

Im looking for a fellow Ranger to buddy up with. My issue with workouts is I have a hard time staying motivated so I was hoping to find someone working out in a similar matter and be able to check in with them frequently.

Hit me up if you need a buddy and are committed to a frequent workout!

Its time to level up!

-Alex

Howdy Partner :D I am planning on joining the Ranger guild after my first challenge (which is going awesome btw!)

If you are looking for a workout accountibilibuddies kinda deal I would be more than happy to team up with you! I already do a similar thing on FB with several other friends for workouts and such. Let me know!

:D

Hey-o!  With my first challenge almost over (boo!)  I'm already looking forward to the next.  I wrote this in my challenge thread today:

I didn’t want to be a Scout, because endurance sports bore me.  I didn’t want be an Adventurer, because I like the idea of labels that bespeak certain goals.  I wanted to be an Assassin because of my Fragile Speedster fixation, and a desire to rebuild some of my lost agility.  I wanted to be a Warrior because a focus on strength would prop up my weakest points.  I wanted to be a monk because I still self-identify as a martial artist even though it’s been years since I stopped training.  I wanted to join the Druids, because I’m a tree hugger at heart and I want to make meditation a more significant part of my life.  

So, I picked Ranger, because a Ranger can be all of that, and more.  I’m the sort of person that thinks Red Mages are a great idea, and gets bummed because game mechanics too often reduce them to uselessness (I’m looking at YOU, FF5.  All that AP, just for doublecast...).  When I play Elder Scrolls games, I build Red Mages, because they can fit in at every guild and cope with any situation in a variety of ways, and that’s how I want to live

I want my next challenge to focus on getting back the agility that I've lost since I stopped combat training (too many) years ago, and to keep up the momentum that I've got going with my strength training.  I think the Rangers will be a good fit for me - I hope they agree. ^_^

Hello Rangers,

I would like to request entrance into the brotherhood of the rangers. I lend my bow, axe, and baseball bat to fight the invading horde of obesity and sedentary lifestyle. With me joining this guild I know we can conquer these foes once and for all, And live a happy lifestyle of self improvement.

I can haz ranger cloak?

I've dipped in out of the NF forums for years (I had a different login at the start that I've now forgotten) and I'm terrible at consistency. So you really want me in your guild, right? :P

I thought about joining the druids because I'm veggie and a bit of a nature spirit, but there's this other side of me that's screaming to be let out, the Ultimate Badass side that wants to be a space marine. Working out should be a lot more fun in sci-fi imagination land. I realised this last night on the treadmill, pushing myself to run for a full 10 mins by picturing explosions, grabby monsters and people screaming "RUUUNNN!"

I have many goals. I have flab to lose, and stamina, strength, and flexibility to gain. I started 3 weeks ago. I don't want to stop.

• Like 1

Phayze, I'm right there with you! I was planning to go assassin this round, but I think ranger is a better fit, because of the sheer variety of what I do and what my goals are. Running, aerial arts, hockey, swimming are my regular activities, used to do martial arts, love hiking and being outdoors, and do weights and yoga here and there. Getting ready for my second 6-week challenge!

Right on, Starkanda!  There are too many cool things to do to waste time specializing, right?  I used to be big into martial arts (Aikido, saber fencing and stage combat were my main events) and I still identify as a fighter, but now that I'm rebuilding from my long dark tea time of the soul that might have to change . . . at least until my son grows up enough that we can start training martial arts together.

That aerial stuff is pretty cool - how do you get into that?  Doesn't sound like something you can learn from youtube and practice at home.  

What martial arts did you train in?  I've dabbled in several, but I've always liked Japanese styles the best.

I'm totally stoked about the next challenge, too!