• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sunmage

Druids hidden recruitment forest

Hi. Love the druid style - I've always been way more into yoga and body weight exercises and walking outdoors than heavy weights, treadmills, gyms, or the other more mainstream styles. I used to meditate regularly, and want to get back into it. I posted my full story in an introduction page: here Loving the support I'm seeing already by reading through other people's pages.

I'm not sure where I find the challenges, though. Could use a little help as a newbie here, if that's okay.

-RBTS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redbeard The Scruffy said:

Hi. Love the druid style - I've always been way more into yoga and body weight exercises and walking outdoors than heavy weights, treadmills, gyms, or the other more mainstream styles. I used to meditate regularly, and want to get back into it. I posted my full story in an introduction page: here Loving the support I'm seeing already by reading through other people's pages.

I'm not sure where I find the challenges, though. Could use a little help as a newbie here, if that's okay.

-RBTS

Hey there! The Druids would love to have you :) 

The current 4 week challenges are accessible on the third tab at the top of the screen, just below the NerdFitness logo :). Here's the link just in case 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spookyfoot said:

Hey there! The Druids would love to have you :) 

The current 4 week challenges are accessible on the third tab at the top of the screen, just below the NerdFitness logo :). Here's the link just in case 

Hi, thanks. Yeah, I saw that much, but was a bit confused. So do we just make our own challenges up then? Is there a set of guidelines or anything to help out a beginner?

• Like 1

There is not really a guidebook unfortunately, you just stumble along at first and ask questions and others will do their best to help you. :)

You do just make up your own challenges, but there is some guidance for beginners here: 

Also, feel free to post your goal ideas here before start your thread and we can help you evaluate to make sure they are reasonable given the timeframe. 

• Like 2

Thanks SnowOwl and spookyfoot.

Well, honestly, looking over those level one suggestions, except for exercise, I might be above level 1. I drink water regular and in copious amounts (at least 15 cups a day, if not more), but I also enjoy my soda and such. I have replaced coffee loaded with sugar and creamer with black decaff 75% of the time, and I don't really eat fast food...the closest I get is something like Subway egg white with cheese or a Moe's tofu homewrecker (even that kind of stuff is like once a month rare). I don't usually consider anything without a drive thru "fast food", and by that definition I don't really eat fast food.

But I don't exercise really...and I eat a lot.

I'm already working to cut out the egg and dairy (egg will be easy - I went without eggs when I first quit meat for over five years, but dairy is a heck of a drug) for my diet, so I guess I could try to walk every day two miles (the track in the park behind my house, including the walk to and from the park is about two miles), and try to do some yoga every day (not sure how much is reasonable to start). Walking is actually pretty easy for me. I had actually worked up to jogging that track before summer hit and the temperature drove me inside for the last two months, and I got really stagnant.

It seems like so little. I know slow change is lasting change, but, I feel like I can do more...but I don't want to overload myself and quit out of frustration.

I guess this isn't so bad if I upgrade within a reasonable amount of time...however long that is. What do you think?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redbeard The Scruffy said:

Hi, thanks. Yeah, I saw that much, but was a bit confused. So do we just make our own challenges up then? Is there a set of guidelines or anything to help out a beginner?

hahahaha WHOOOPS I completely misunderstood what you were asking about. Thankfully....

2 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

There is not really a guidebook unfortunately, you just stumble along at first and ask questions and others will do their best to help you. :)

You do just make up your own challenges, but there is some guidance for beginners here: 

Also, feel free to post your goal ideas here before start your thread and we can help you evaluate to make sure they are reasonable given the timeframe. 

SNOWOWL TO THE RESCUE <3

2 hours ago, Redbeard The Scruffy said:

Thanks SnowOwl and spookyfoot.

Well, honestly, looking over those level one suggestions, except for exercise, I might be above level 1. I drink water regular and in copious amounts (at least 15 cups a day, if not more), but I also enjoy my soda and such. I have replaced coffee loaded with sugar and creamer with black decaff 75% of the time, and I don't really eat fast food...the closest I get is something like Subway egg white with cheese or a Moe's tofu homewrecker (even that kind of stuff is like once a month rare). I don't usually consider anything without a drive thru "fast food", and by that definition I don't really eat fast food.

But I don't exercise really...and I eat a lot.

I'm already working to cut out the egg and dairy (egg will be easy - I went without eggs when I first quit meat for over five years, but dairy is a heck of a drug) for my diet, so I guess I could try to walk every day two miles (the track in the park behind my house, including the walk to and from the park is about two miles), and try to do some yoga every day (not sure how much is reasonable to start). Walking is actually pretty easy for me. I had actually worked up to jogging that track before summer hit and the temperature drove me inside for the last two months, and I got really stagnant.

It seems like so little. I know slow change is lasting change, but, I feel like I can do more...but I don't want to overload myself and quit out of frustration.

I guess this isn't so bad if I upgrade within a reasonable amount of time...however long that is. What do you think?

I definitely recommend slow, sustainable changes. That's just based on my personal experience. I got burnt out when I tried to do too much all at once too soon. 

Sounds like you have a solid base, so maybe consider what parts you want to augment/increase and go from there. There are a couple options you mentioned in your post already so those could be a good place to start :) 

• Like 1

I agree with the start small, especially if it feels almost too small. It's often not the thing itself that's hard when you are taking small steps, it's building it into a habit that is so challenging. Doing it everyday regardless of your mood or energy or life stuff. You are striving for lasting change.

I agree with Snow and Spooky! Small goals are a great way to start off!  Meet some other members of the rebellion, get comfy with the format and then for your second challenge you can put world domination as your goal. Although we druids are not really very big on world domination....or so it seems! Muwahahahahahaaha!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I agree with Snow and Spooky! Small goals are a great way to start off!  Meet some other members of the rebellion, get comfy with the format and then for your second challenge you can put world domination as your goal. Although we druids are not really very big on world domination....or so it seems! Muwahahahahahaaha!

xhhhhhh

:ph34r:

Many, many moons ago, I used to sit outside on the porch in the evenings with my grandfather and "listen to the grass grow." However, we never listened to the wind, "it always lies." Lol. So, I have sorta been around the druid mindset my entire life. Further, as I have recently renewed meditative and qigong practices as part of my recovery from a rather inconvenient, albeit serious, illness, my discovery of Nerd Fitness, and this Druid Guild, is too synchronistic to ignore. That said, I am ready to begin this next stage of my journey in the company of your guild, if you will have me.

• Like 2

I think I'm a Druid at heart - I have toyed with different guilds but after camp this year I found I gravitated towards yoga classes and being outdoors in nature. I have always loved meditation as well! 

Looking forward to continuing my journey as a Druid :) 

• Like 2

Hey! After looking at everything I have chosen the Druids! I have recently gotten into Yoga and have been trying out meditation and absolutely love it! (Not very good yet but I'm sure that will come eventually lol!) I am also a huge nature fan so this guild is perfect! I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone here! ~Cherno  

• Like 1

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 2:55 AM, moonhuntress said:

I think I'm a Druid at heart - I have toyed with different guilds but after camp this year I found I gravitated towards yoga classes and being outdoors in nature. I have always loved meditation as well! 

Looking forward to continuing my journey as a Druid :) 

On ‎04‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:57 AM, Lady Elaine said:

I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I do know I'm definitely a druid

On ‎05‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:43 AM, ChernoAlpha said:

Hey! After looking at everything I have chosen the Druids! I have recently gotten into Yoga and have been trying out meditation and absolutely love it! (Not very good yet but I'm sure that will come eventually lol!) I am also a huge nature fan so this guild is perfect! I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone here! ~Cherno  

Welcome to the druids!

We are happy to have you around :)

Hello! I think this is where I belong. I'm starting Yoga this week and have been attempting to meditate off and on for a few months--one of my goals is to do it more regularly rather than distracting myself with TV, etc. 

• Like 1

I'm not really sure how much of a challenges person I'm going to be, but I think if I have a guild here on NF it's the Druids. With a dose of Adventurer and a pinch of Assassin on the side, but mostly a Druid. I'm a thinker before I'm anything else. I'm also a pagan, which makes sense too :)

Most of my fitness journey is actually about a much more whole-life kind of progress - I have mental health issues to manage, so knowing myself and understanding what lifestyle changes will mesh with my wellbeing in the wider sense is probably the most important part of the battle for me.

I very much value my flexibility and am a bit of a home yoga nut; I love dance; I'm looking into mindfulness meditation to help me manage the "busy head" syndrome I suffer from. Looking forward to getting to know folks.

• Like 1

As a student of nutrition (eventually my Masters degree) and a current Student of Herbal Sciences (for my B.Sc), as well as someone who finds pilates, yoga, and dance to be much more my style of exercise, I think Druid is the perfect place for me!

I wasn't sure where to post this, so if this is the wrong place, I'm sorry!

Hello!

I just joined and read through the different things I could join. I think I fit really well with druids, but I'm slightly confused as to how to join as one. It says to "register as a druid for the next challenge" but I don't see where I can do that. 

As far as why I want to be a druid:

I have two major health problems that are complicating my life when it comes to working out and being in shape, as well as being at peace with myself. I have a heart condition that can only be controlled by beta blockers or surgery. I'm too young for the surgery according to the doctor, so I'm on the meds, but they make me dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out if my heart rate gets too high, so long bouts of cardio are out. Second, I have been diagnosed with class 3 runner's knee in both knees, and have had a blood clot recently in the left one. This means both knees swell and shoot a lot of sharp pain that continues for days if I do, well, anything. When I can't climb stairs or do body weight squats without this happening, any other workouts I see for lower body seem like they are out of the question.

I have been diagnosed with the knees just last year after wondering why I could barely walk after workouts, and have had the heart issue for about three years. After the latter, I switched from doing any cardio and tried doing body weight workouts. With my knees failing as quickly as they are, I stopped working out since May 2016.

I cut out red meat, poultry, cheese and milk from my diet. I tried vegan with supplements but ended up in the hospital (long story). Doctors told me I at least need to eat fish, which I do. I don't say no to eggs, but the rest I do not eat. Cutting that stuff out of my diet truly helped me NOT gain weight, but I still feel irritated that I can't tone myself up! It's gotten so bad that I can't look at myself in the mirror anymore, even though I've only gained about 10 pounds since I stopped working out due to the pain and heart. But that doesn't mean I don't see things starting to loosen and LOOK worse. :(

On top of the health issues, my main job is in insurance, so I'm sitting ALL day. I have a second job as a freelance writer, meaning I'm stuck at a computer pretty much all the time.

My husband is extremely fit, works out four days a week, is completely vegan, and has like, 18% body fat. Being around someone who is able to do what I want to do but can't is really bringing me down emotionally. 

I don't know what to really do at this point, so suggestions are highly appreciated. I want to be tone and fit. I don't need to lift heavy weights, have never wanted to be a bodybuilder or anything. I just want to lose a few extra pounds and look good while being healthy and feeling great. I picked the druids because it sounds like a group that might be able to help me in both areas - physically and mentally - but if there is a different group I should be contacting, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for listening. :)