• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Forge: So You Wanna be a Warrior?

WE ARE THE WARRIORS

We are the guild built for tanks, incredibly strong folks who opt to remain fit by pushing around the irons just lifting things up and putting them down again. But don't get us wrong, the Warriors also check their egos at the door and are always humbled by the friendly camaraderie and the limits the iron imposes. Generally big, bulky, and strong as an ox, Warriors constantly try to push themselves to be bigger, better, stronger. Eating and lifting are the only two things us Warriors worry about. You do NOT want to go punch for punch with a Warrior. You will get destroyed.

Despite our rough exterior though, we Warriors are a super supportive and kindly bunch, constantly using the challenges to create friendly in-guild competition and bounce new ideas off of each other in our quests to be as strong as possible. We are comprised of highly knowledgeable long time lifters, as well as brand new folks looking to reap the benefits of lifting heavy things. Among our ranks, we utilize various programming methods, including: Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting, Smolov, and more. 

Common Challenge Goals:

• Add x% to my deadlift/bench/squat worksets
  • Increase my 1 rep max on deadlift/bench/squat
  • Learn/improve an Olympic lift
  • Rehab injury by doing accessory work
  • Eat X grams of protein a day
  • Get to bed earlier/wake up earlier every weekday
  • Lift weights X times per week
  • Track intake
  • Mobility work X times per week

So, if you have any questions for us at all, ASK! We know that sometimes, the hardest part is figuring out where to start when hitting the weights, or needing help knowing how to do a movement correctly. We all love to help people with form check videos, or deciding how often to work our, or how best to recover and deal with the DOMS. We would love to have you join us before the Warrior's Forge, so ask away!

Should you decide you want to join the Warriors, all you need to do is register for the next Six Week Challenge and select your guild on the sign-up form! From there, post a challenge thread in the Warriors section of that Six Week Challenge and you're one of us!

• Like 7

Hello Warriors :)

I will be joining you for the next 6 week challenge. It'll be my first challenge outside of the adventurers guild and I'm feeling shy! However, I've been poking my head into some warrior threads over the past 6 weeks, and I can see you guys are just as awesome and supportive as the adventurers (with the addition of perhaps more .gif).

Anywho, I'm looking forward to doing some lifting and some challenge-ing with you :)

Hello y'all!

I am a serial on again, off again diet/fitness enthusiast. And by on again, off again, I mean "Oh, my sister's wedding is coming up? TIME TO DIET LIKE A MANIAC." And that's about it. I have been toying with the idea of lifting heavy for a really long time and in the last several weeks, I have verbalized it to other people, so I think it's time to get on it for real. So, the questions:

At one point for a few months, I was doing a bodyweight circuit and interval training alternating schedule, and that was about as fit as I have ever been. Is there one better or more logical progression to lifting heavy than another? I haven't scoped a gym situation, yet, but it would seem that just mastering a few basic bodyweight exercises would be more beneficial at first. Is this the right kind of thinking, or is it better to get in there and pick up heavy stuff from the get go?

Whether or not to jump right in would drastically affect the workout program I want to get on and stick with, so that question is the most important. After that... what kind of program would be good for a not at all in shape weakling looking to lift heavy??

Thanks everyone!!

:D

Samb-y! Come play with us! We have lots of bacon. And iron. And gifs galore! 

I read that as gifts, and was all "Who's givin' gifts?". But yes, we give lots of gifs.

Hello y'all!

I am a serial on again, off again diet/fitness enthusiast. And by on again, off again, I mean "Oh, my sister's wedding is coming up? TIME TO DIET LIKE A MANIAC." And that's about it. I have been toying with the idea of lifting heavy for a really long time and in the last several weeks, I have verbalized it to other people, so I think it's time to get on it for real. So, the questions:

At one point for a few months, I was doing a bodyweight circuit and interval training alternating schedule, and that was about as fit as I have ever been. Is there one better or more logical progression to lifting heavy than another? I haven't scoped a gym situation, yet, but it would seem that just mastering a few basic bodyweight exercises would be more beneficial at first. Is this the right kind of thinking, or is it better to get in there and pick up heavy stuff from the get go?

Whether or not to jump right in would drastically affect the workout program I want to get on and stick with, so that question is the most important. After that... what kind of program would be good for a not at all in shape weakling looking to lift heavy??

Thanks everyone!!

:D

If the goal is to lift weights, why would you spend time mastering other skills like bodyweight movements when you could be spending time mastering your lifting form? There are plenty of lifting programs that start you off as low as you can get. Remember, you don't have to start with barbells in all the lifts. If there is one where you can't handle 45 lb form the get go, use dumbbells instead and work up to barbell weight. We have a thread here that goes over the various novice strength programs.

• Like 1

I read that as gifts, and was all "Who's givin' gifts?". But yes, we give lots of gifs.

If the goal is to lift weights, why would you spend time mastering other skills like bodyweight movements when you could be spending time mastering your lifting form? There are plenty of lifting programs that start you off as low as you can get. Remember, you don't have to start with barbells in all the lifts. If there is one where you can't handle 45 lb form the get go, use dumbbells instead and work up to barbell weight. We have a thread here that goes over the various novice strength programs.

Excellent point. Thanks for the link- I'll be checking that out immediately!

I plan on joining the warriors for the next challenge.  I go to a gym that is based on Starting Strength and I've half-assed my way to some decent numbers.  Half-assing by not really eating to perform, usually only going twice a week, etc.  I'd like to see what I could actually do with a little tracking and devotion.

I plan on joining the warriors for the next challenge.  I go to a gym that is based on Starting Strength and I've half-assed my way to some decent numbers.  Half-assing by not really eating to perform, usually only going twice a week, etc.  I'd like to see what I could actually do with a little tracking and devotion.

That's an aweosme tool to have at your disposal. EAT MOAR!

So glad I finally joined up with the Warriors last go around.  Puts a whole new perspective on it when I am not trying to convince myself I am a Crossfitter when all I wanna do is lift all the things and eat all the (good) things.

So glad I finally joined up with the Warriors last go around.  Puts a whole new perspective on it when I am not trying to convince myself I am a Crossfitter when all I wanna do is lift all the things and eat all the (good) delicious things.

FTFY

Thanks for the welcome!

I second the advice to just get started with a lifting program. I didn't really enjoy bodyweight exercises all that much, so I just assumed I HATE lifting weights. How wrong I was...

And *sad face*, good bacon is very hard to find in South Korea. It's either so thin you can see through it, or not salty enough. However, it's totally made up for by the massive availability of pork Korean BBQ restaurants.

Hey!

I will be starting my first ever challenge and think that the Warriors is probably the best place for me to be :)  I am a complete newbie when it comes to lifting weights but I am two weeks into Stronglifts and absolutely loving it!

When first joining NF and reading about the challenges/guilds i thought that I would fit into the Rangers, but after hanging around for awhile, working out my goals and starting to get into my stronglifts workouts I think this will be a much better fit!! Cant wait to join in

Lozz

Thanks for the welcome!

I second the advice to just get started with a lifting program. I didn't really enjoy bodyweight exercises all that much, so I just assumed I HATE lifting weights. How wrong I was...

And *sad face*, good bacon is very hard to find in South Korea. It's either so thin you can see through it, or not salty enough. However, it's totally made up for by the massive availability of pork Korean BBQ restaurants.

But, but kimchee....? That's a decent trade. 

You'd swap bacon for kimchi??? What madness is this??

Vixen68 - I just started stronglifts too - it's quite a change from m previous program, but I am liking it so far. 

I am new to the rebellion, but not to being a nerd or fitness. I think I have been trying to live the Ranger life without even knowing it...all I really needed to hear about the Warriors was lift and bacon and I knew I wanted in...so do I show my scarred shins from deadlifts as proof or what's next?

He he most people don't get why there's constantly a hairless line up the front of my shins. I wear it proudly.

All you really need to do to be a warrior is to switch your class in your profile and then sign up with us next challenge. In the mean time, there's plenty to read up on in the Lifting Knowledgebase.

Welcome to the Forge.

We should have some kind of initiation ritual....

LOVING all the new warriors - especially the ladies!

Beer, bacon, and barbells...what more could you want?

perform/determine your one rep maxes, then eat a pound of bacon.

Yeah, worst idea ever for noobs. They need to get form down before they ever attempt 1RM maxes. If I was a trainer, I'd allow no maxing out for at least the first 3 months of lifting, preferably 6.

I am a n00b.  I am not big, bulky, or strong, and I've yet to go punch-to-punch with anyone (in fact, let's just not do that ever, okay?).  BUT--I want to be strong.  I've discovered that I really like lifting weights.  And I loooooves me some bacon!

I'll join the Warriors for the next challenge.  Between now and then, I'll poke around the forums, acquire some knowledge, find a program that works for me, and come up with some SMART eating goals.  Don't worry, there will be bacon involved.

Yeah, worst idea ever for noobs. They need to get form down before they ever attempt 1RM maxes. If I was a trainer, I'd allow no maxing out for at least the first 3 months of lifting, preferably 6.

So maybe just the bacon-eating part...