• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Forge: So You Wanna be a Warrior?

On 6/24/2017 at 11:37 AM, Cici the Beast said:

I post my workouts in my daily battle log, but uhhhh I want to lift heavier things?  Yes, that. 

I'm trying to figure out:

1. How many days/week can I deadlift.  If you say more than once, I will be super stoked.  Let's deadlift all the things!

2. I'm a woman (so, woman body) and I'd like to lose weight while lifting.  I'm not up for the whole "drop a ton of weight and then build muscle" bullshit.  Any ideas re: diet?  My workouts are generally a good solid warmup with some sort of cardio component (usually erging), lifting relatively heavy, and then some sort of "finisher" that's more muscle endurance and less heavy heavy lifting -- stuff like KB swings, planks, goblet squats, and bodyweight stuff.  Thoughts?  Ideas?

3. Rest days.  How many should I take?  Lately I've been working out 4-5x/week.  Tuesday and Saturday and/or Sunday are currently my rest days unless I'm super super worn out and can feel that it's just not going to be a productive workout.  (I really like working out during the week because it keeps me energetic and focused during the day.)

4. I've read a lot of Spezzy's stuff (instagram!!!), but do you know of any other women in their 30s who are doing similar stuff?  I feel like everyone is a runner and I'm just like LALALALALALA FUCK RUNNING, I'LL ROW A BOAT IF I NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE.  (I row crew when I'm not being eaten alive by my job.)

5. Why does the Warrior page over on the Monthly Challenge area have male pronouns?  Like "the warrior lifts his ...."  I'm a lady.  Is there a reason for not having gender-inclusive pronouns?  

6. YOU GUYS I HAVEN'T SEEN WONDER WOMAN YET AND I'M GOING TO AND I'M SO EXCITED, PLEASE SOMEONE TALK TO ME ABOUT IT.

1. Usually 1-2 days are good. Depending what your program or goals are. If you want to do more than once a week I would still only keep it once a week high intensity, and then on a second day I would focus more on lower weight and doing speed work or volume.

[When I say intensity I mean high effort ~1-3 reps 90+%. Volume = sets*reps*weight, typically 3-4 sets of 8-10 at a lower weight, anywhere from 50-75%. Speed work = light weight, low reps, lots of sets with short rest periods, something like 8 sets of 3 at 55% EMOM (every minute on the minute) is a good example] Percentages are of 1RM or one rep max, aka how much weight can you lift for 1 rep. Maximal effort.

Women can tend to train upper body more frequently than men, and typically need to in order to see progress.

2. Ugh this is a loaded question lol

Ultimately do what feels best for you. See my reply below.

3. I usually take 2-3. But it's really up to you depending how you feel and what type of activity you're doing. If you are doing more restorative exercise like yoga or walking it's probably ok to do more, but judge by how you feel. You're the best judge of your body and whether you should take a rest day or not.

4. @Emerald_Dragonfly and @RedStone are both badasses in their 30's. Also, girls gone strong is an awesome resource for female lifters. About weekly they have a "member spotlight" with all types of different women of all ages, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds which are super great to read. If you're just looking for awesome people to follow on instagram, I'm going to give a shoutout to campNF coach Jen Sinkler and my coach JVB.

5. This is a great point that I haven't ever noticed before! Just noticing the scouts also says "guys". This is something I will bring up to admins to see if it can be switched. Thanks!

6. ZOMG. It was a pretty good movie, I have many thoughts about it, both positive and negative, but it was definitely an enjoyable movie and a great step for the DCU <3

On 6/24/2017 at 0:04 PM, Cici the Beast said:

Re: diet, I was using it in the general "what I eat and what I put in my body."  I track my stuff pretty well -- I'm not new to fitness/athletics, I'm new to NF and lifting heavy stuff.  (This is the first time I've found a gym and trainers that haven't handed me a pink dumbbell, pointed toward the elliptical, and used the words "bulk up.")  I row crew when I'm not being eaten alive by my job (I'm a lawyer), and was a varsity athlete in college.  This is kind of a hard core respawn after life got in the way (work stuff, life stuff, moving, sexual assault, FUN TIMES) for a year and a half.  I know I'm wicked strong, I just don't know how strong I can be.

With regard to "stuff I'm putting in my body," if I'm doing athletic stuff, I've had a solid filling of carbs in the form of oatmeal (every day), sweet potatoes, etc. because 2 hours of rowing after breakfast = give me the oatmeal, all of it, with blueberries and almond butter and milk, or I will not last through the workout.  Lifting feels different in my body.  I don't NEED or want oatmeal for breakfast because I'm not rowing for hours on end.  I know how to lose weight when I'm rowing.  I don't know how I should be eating or caring for my body or working out so that I can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.  A few weeks ago I definitely upped the amount of food I was eating because I was waking up at 4am, starving and so hungry that I didn't have the energy to get out of bed and eat something so I could go back to sleep.  So I ate a lot more (mostly extra chicken and quinoa and fish and cruciferous veggies), and that's been helping a lot in terms of not being too tired to go to the gym, let alone sleep.

So as a beginner to lifting you're going to be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, but that likely won't last longer than maybe 2 months?? (really depends on your history and current body comp) So ultimately you want to ensure you are eating enough protein to ensure you are maintaining/building muscle. Standards rule of thumb is 0.8-1.0 g of protein per lb of bodyweight (other school of thought is 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass). There are many different schools of thought here and it depends on you what you want to try and what might work (and something might work for a while and then no longer work!)

So if you don't have any concept of how much food you are eating currently, it would be good to use some sort of calculator like iifym.com to determine your calorie and macronutrient balance intake. That should give you a rough idea of how MUCH to eat. From there it is good to focus on nutritious, whole food sources such as

proteins: meat, egg whites, fish, protein powders, tofu, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

carbs: fruits, oatmeal, rice, whole grain breads/pasta/other, other grains (quinoa, couscous,etc), sweet potatoes, corn, peas, etc

fats: olives, olive oil, coconut, coconut oil, nuts, nut butters, sunflower seeds etc

Think of many veggies as "free" foods unless they are "starchy"

So from there there is a ton of different schools of thought on what is the "best" way to do things. Some of those are whole30/paleo, keto, Renaissance Periodization, Precision Nutrition, Eat to Perform, etc all have different methodologies on what is best. But what I've found works best for me specifically is focusing on a solid foundation:

• Protein with every meal, for me it's approximately 30g or palm size
  • Veggies with most meals (basically everything but breakfast as I can't stomach it)
  • Fat source with every meal
  • Drink water
  • Eat carbs to support my activity level, e.g. rest day I will likely only have fruit and veggies as carbs, heavy training day I will load up on more carbs like rice or bread to help keep up my energy, sometimes I even have a gatorade esque drink if I know it will be a long grueling workout.

Now that I've wrote that novel.... it again brings me back to:

do whatever feels best for you.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:11 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

We exist! Lady warriors unite! :D @RedStone and @elvenengineer are also female warriors who lift. 

Woo hoo!

• Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, Cici the Beast said:

::waves hello::

Hi!  I'm new!  I like to pick up heavy stuff and put it down, and then keep doing it.  

Hi!!!

ME TOO!!!

On 6/24/2017 at 0:37 PM, Cici the Beast said:

I post my workouts in my daily battle log, but uhhhh I want to lift heavier things?  Yes, that. 

I'm trying to figure out:

1. How many days/week can I deadlift.  If you say more than once, I will be super stoked.  Let's deadlift all the things!

2. I'm a woman (so, woman body) and I'd like to lose weight while lifting.  I'm not up for the whole "drop a ton of weight and then build muscle" bullshit.  Any ideas re: diet?  My workouts are generally a good solid warmup with some sort of cardio component (usually erging), lifting relatively heavy, and then some sort of "finisher" that's more muscle endurance and less heavy heavy lifting -- stuff like KB swings, planks, goblet squats, and bodyweight stuff.  Thoughts?  Ideas?

4. I've read a lot of Spezzy's stuff (instagram!!!), but do you know of any other women in their 30s who are doing similar stuff?  I feel like everyone is a runner and I'm just like LALALALALALA FUCK RUNNING, I'LL ROW A BOAT IF I NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE.  (I row crew when I'm not being eaten alive by my job.)

I started with StrongLifts - lifting the empty bar my first training session.  I stuck with it for around 9 months, I think.  That program worked great for me.  Lift 3 days per week, rotating two different workouts.  So I deadlifted once the first week and twice the second.  I'm an intermediate now (squee!), so my program is different.  And I eventually started working with a trainer - I highly recommend that, but the first year I just lifted stuff.  I was quite overweight and have lost somewhere around 30 pounds tracking calories (1780 at my lowest, 2480 at my highest maintenance) and lifting.  I'm still chubby (although less so, now!)  As I progress, I have started adding cardio, but that was just in the last month. 

@Urgan is an amazing lady lifter - she did Starting Strength and is probably the most consistent of us as far as sticking with a program.  (That woman has sheer grit and stick-to-it-ness.)  She has a battle log.  I think that everyone else tagged either has a battle log or logs in the challenges, most of us in the Warriors Guild.  A new challenge begins soon - come challenge with us! :-)

Eating - I try to aim for high protein, but mostly just stick to my calorie goal.  It took a long time and a lot of tracking to figure out what worked for me. 

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

4. @Emerald_Dragonfly and @RedStone are both badasses in their 30's.

You just made my entire week.  Like...seriously.  (Also & unrelated...no longer in my 30s.  Yikes.) 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 6/27/2017 at 3:53 PM, miss_marissa said:

Also, girls gone strong is an awesome resource for female lifters. About weekly they have a "member spotlight" with all types of different women of all ages, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds which are super great to read. If you're just looking for awesome people to follow on instagram,

I second Girls Gone Strong. I am currently working through their 12 week program in my challenge thread. 

Alright, I'm here to earn my place among the ranks of the warriors. I have usually had the workout style of a druid, but I have been doing heavy lifting since the first of April and I LOVE IT! I never thought I would look forward to going to the gym, but I seriously love feeling strong. 

I'm going to check out Girls Gone Strong - as suggested earlier (almost a year ago in the previous posts). I want to be strong enough to throw the Caber at next year's Scottish Highland Games... I have a way to go to get comfortable with it. And I need to work on my form. 

Also, have any members done this before? I would like to participate in all of the Highland Events, so if you have done this and have suggestions please send them my way! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 7:37 PM, Pickle6415 said:

Alright, I'm here to earn my place among the ranks of the warriors. I have usually had the workout style of a druid, but I have been doing heavy lifting since the first of April and I LOVE IT! I never thought I would look forward to going to the gym, but I seriously love feeling strong. 

I'm going to check out Girls Gone Strong - as suggested earlier (almost a year ago in the previous posts). I want to be strong enough to throw the Caber at next year's Scottish Highland Games... I have a way to go to get comfortable with it. And I need to work on my form. 

Also, have any members done this before? I would like to participate in all of the Highland Events, so if you have done this and have suggestions please send them my way! 

giphy.gif

Welcome! I love the highland games! For various medical reasons it is not in my cards, but I would train for it if I could! I'm so excited for you! The caber toss is OBVIOUSLY the coolest.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, Pickle6415 said:

giphy.gif

Disclaimer: I have never done Highland games nor strongman (I'm strong statically but trying to be strong dynamically just seems like a nightmare)...

But, I do follow it keenly. Matt Vincent is a 2 time world champion and he has a bunch of highland games training vids on youtube (mostly his older stuff as he is retired now) and he also has a pretty good book called Throwing Lab which HG related. His biggest takeaway is: It's NOT how strong you are, it's how FAST you can exhibit your strength - with the rocks that they throw - the heaviest one is only about 18lbs or so for women (a little heavier for the hammer throw). These weights are likely to be a little lighter at an amateur level.

Hello Warriors,

Respawner here and changing to the proper class. I was a Monk before because I used to practice a lot of martial arts years and years ago. But I am a Warrior! In my heart and in my build.

I am 6'4" and have too much fat on me.

I love lifting heavy.

The first thing I bought for my new home was a power rack (before furniture).

Cardio makes me sad. Bacon! enough said.

So, I would love to join my brothers and sisters at the forge and begin to reshape this mass back into the warrior I once was.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Tarphon said:

Hello Warriors,

Respawner here and changing to the proper class. I was a Monk before because I used to practice a lot of martial arts years and years ago. But I am a Warrior! In my heart and in my build.

I am 6'4" and have too much fat on me.

I love lifting heavy.

The first thing I bought for my new home was a power rack (before furniture).

Cardio makes me sad. Bacon! enough said.

So, I would love to join my brothers and sisters at the forge and begin to reshape this mass back into the warrior I once was.

Welcome to the Warriors! We're glad to have you. The squat racks are here, here, and here. Benches are over there, treadmills are next to the bathrooms. Please store your weapons in the appropriate lockers.

The fact that you bought a power rack before anything else is magical.

What's your experience level, background, etc in lifting. We're a pretty inclusive group and always willing to help, provide support, encourage, and show you magical pictures of our food.

Bacon is life. 

• Like 1

I think I'll be throwing my lot in with the warriors from now on.  While I do like the concept of versatility that the rangers offer, we are what we repeatedly do.  My training always gravitates towards heavy lifting/Strongman, so I shall see you in the challenge forum.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rusk said:

I think I'll be throwing my lot in with the warriors from now on.  While I do like the concept of versatility that the rangers offer, we are what we repeatedly do.  My training always gravitates towards heavy lifting/Strongman, so I shall see you in the challenge forum.

Welcome!

Related image

On 6/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, Grumble said:

Welcome to the Warriors! We're glad to have you. The squat racks are here, here, and here. Benches are over there, treadmills are next to the bathrooms. Please store your weapons in the appropriate lockers.

The fact that you bought a power rack before anything else is magical.

What's your experience level, background, etc in lifting. We're a pretty inclusive group and always willing to help, provide support, encourage, and show you magical pictures of our food.

Bacon is life. 

My experience level is advanced as far as knowledge but not elite. My practice of said knowledge is poor. Working out was a big part of my life until some life changes then I became very sedative and only thought about working out while munching Cheetos and playing eve. I helped a friend get back into shape which moved me from the couch into the gym until I moved across the country and took on a new time demanding job. The problem is finding the energy to do what I know I need to do and actually want to do. I know when I get going my energy will return and forward motion will just increase as always. I can always find the energy for someone else or to help others but when it's just me I don't. That's easy to work around if I wasn't an introvert lol. 

On 6/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, Tarphon said:

My experience level is advanced as far as knowledge but not elite. My practice of said knowledge is poor. Working out was a big part of my life until some life changes then I became very sedative and only thought about working out while munching Cheetos and playing eve. I helped a friend get back into shape which moved me from the couch into the gym until I moved across the country and took on a new time demanding job. The problem is finding the energy to do what I know I need to do and actually want to do. I know when I get going my energy will return and forward motion will just increase as always. I can always find the energy for someone else or to help others but when it's just me I don't. That's easy to work around if I wasn't an introvert lol. 

Welcome man, these forums can be good medicine for us introverts.

Hello Warriors. I just joined Nerd Fitness today. In undergrad, 16 years ago, I lost 57 pounds but was only on a diet. All the weight I lost came back and added 60 more pounds on top of that.  I started in January 2018 on a quest to become healthier. I have a lot of knowledge about nutrition and exercise just no willpower or consistency. To date, I have lost 40 pounds but that is not all fat; I've lost some muscle too. I hope to gain that back. I am not afraid of the gym and, until recently, used to go 3-5 times a week. I am an endomorph that is trying to to shed body fat and increase muscle mass.