• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Forge: So You Wanna be a Warrior?

If you get out of the anti machine mentality, PF's machines go up much higher than the free weights. I use to get stares pyramiding the whole stack on pull downs, hitting hack squats in the smith machine and using the circuit area at my leisure.

The biggest problem besides lack of free weights is their machines aren't meant for big folks. I couldn't get any rom because I was too wide for the machines.

If you get out of the anti machine mentality, PF's machines go up much higher than the free weights. I use to get stares pyramiding the whole stack on pull downs, hitting hack squats in the smith machine and using the circuit area at my leisure.

The biggest problem besides lack of free weights is their machines aren't meant for big folks. I couldn't get any rom because I was too wide for the machines.

That's why free weights!

Were you under a different name before? If not, I'm ashamed that I'm just now seeing Lord Swoledemort... because, come on, that's awesome.

Were you under a different name before? If not, I'm ashamed that I'm just now seeing Lord Swoledemort... because, come on, that's awesome.

I was wondering this same thing.

OK, then, so Planet Fitness is not someplace I should bother checking out?  <ducks>

Seriously, I am going to need major help, and I met a woman the other day who co-owns a CrossFit gym where they ALSO have a weightlifting team. They have an open house on the 31st, so I will go and look. I'm glad I quit smoking, though.  It's expensive :(

That's why free weights!

Yes, I am The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight!

OK, then, so Planet Fitness is not someplace I should bother checking out?  <ducks>

Seriously, I am going to need major help, and I met a woman the other day who co-owns a CrossFit gym where they ALSO have a weightlifting team. They have an open house on the 31st, so I will go and look. I'm glad I quit smoking, though.  It's expensive :(

oooooo!!! let us know how the open house goes!

oooooo!!! let us know how the open house goes!

Will do. She was about my age, formerly obese, smoker, and drinker. I quit the booze 20 years ago (holy shit, I am getting old). She looked fantastic, and then she sat at a table with a younger woman who looked so good I might have considered switching teams. The problem is going to be with scheduling. Unless they will allow for personal sessions for the fundamentals class that is required, I am going to have trouble fitting them in.

They also sponsor a swim team. That rocks my world. It is the ONLY competitive sport I enjoy, and I am pretty good at it.

I will PM you the link. Let me know what you think. I get a 10% discount for being a teacher.

Greetings Warriors,

I am relatively new here, but I have done some extensive lurking and it appears that this is the guild I would like to align myself with once I complete my first challenge, which I am looking forward to starting when the new challenges start. I just started doing Stronglifts 5x5 program, but I'm going to have to change gyms due to the major lack of a squat rack/bench press/room for barbell training (all they have a smith machine). I've been making due with the single barbell that they have (it's only there for people to do barbell curls, but I squat with it anyways), but as the weight goes up that's going to get harder to do. Can't wait until my membership is done.

Anyways, figured I would introduce myself to this awesome guild. Looking forward to learning, growing stronger, and eating ALL the bacon.

I just started doing Stronglifts 5x5 program, but I'm going to have to change gyms due to the major lack of a squat rack/bench press/room for barbell training (all they have a smith machine). I've been making due with the single barbell that they have (it's only there for people to do barbell curls, but I squat with it anyways), but as the weight goes up that's going to get harder to do. Can't wait until my membership is done.

Anyways, figured I would introduce myself to this awesome guild. Looking forward to learning, growing stronger, and eating ALL the bacon.

Yup....sounds like a warrior! ;)

Greetings Warriors,

I am relatively new here, but I have done some extensive lurking and it appears that this is the guild I would like to align myself with once I complete my first challenge, which I am looking forward to starting when the new challenges start. I just started doing Stronglifts 5x5 program, but I'm going to have to change gyms due to the major lack of a squat rack/bench press/room for barbell training (all they have a smith machine). I've been making due with the single barbell that they have (it's only there for people to do barbell curls, but I squat with it anyways), but as the weight goes up that's going to get harder to do. Can't wait until my membership is done.

While all us warriors do LOVE our barbells, in a pinch you can get by with a decent selection of dumbells, at least at first. Goblet squats, farmers walks, or my personal favorite, Bulgarian Split Squats, can all be challenging and increase strength. But of course, barbells are awesome, so there's that.

While all us warriors do LOVE our barbells, in a pinch you can get by with a decent selection of dumbells, at least at first. Goblet squats, farmers walks, or my personal favorite, Bulgarian Split Squats, can all be challenging and increase strength. But of course, barbells are awesome, so there's that.

Thanks for those suggestions! I'll have to look into those. I am switching to an actual gym in september that has a huge free weight section, squat rack, etc. Really looking forward to it

So, I am thinking of joining the warriors with the next challenge.

My current beginner challenge is focusing on my primary weakness.

However, upon speaking to my primary care doctor about the back and knee pains I experience at 34 I was told the following -

"You want your back pain to improve? Strengthen the back.  The paraspinals being stronger will do more for that than I can.  You want the knee to feel better? Strengthen the muscles around it and give it some support.  There is no sense in me trying to do anything with a needle or blade on someone as young as you when there is a better simple fix that won't cost you a pile of money."

So, perhaps my next challenge will be a focus on just building raw muscle strength.  Since I'm primarily a bodyweight workout person, maybe start with SL5x5 and empty bar...as I am completely green to lifting heavy.

I found a Powerhouse Gym that I can hit before work...so yeah...I think next challenge I'm going to switch teams.

I like your doctor.

Yeah, the doc doesn't BS at all.

This is the same doc that once told me "I know you.  You are young and stubborn.  You only show up when your wife makes you.  How about this, do me a favor? Whenever you come in bring her with you.  I'll get the full story from her, instead of the downplayed version you will give"

Yeah, the doc doesn't BS at all.

This is the same doc that once told me "I know you.  You are young and stubborn.  You only show up when your wife makes you.  How about this, do me a favor? Whenever you come in bring her with you.  I'll get the full story from her, instead of the downplayed version you will give"

Ha! I'm starting to <3 this doctor hard core.  Good find!

• Like 1

The next/my first challenge I would love to do it as a warrior. Now before I say this I know some people are controversial on the topic of Crossfit. But I've been doing it for about a month and absolutely love it. Its what got me to love lifting. Strength days are my absolute favorite thing about being a crossfitter. I am still a beginner, but I already love the way I feel lifting. I love the way my body is changing, and my confidence is through the roof. Don't think I am one of those over-confident crossfit lunks. When I say my confidence is through the roof I only mean my negative self-talk is no longer a part of my life, and for once in my life I am happy being me. Wow, this started off as just a hello, I can't wait to join your guild message and got a little heavy....ooops. Well, hello everyone :)

Your first challenge must be done in the first time challenger area before moving to a specific guild. That said, you can still hang around in the warrior social areas.

As far as Crossfit goes, it's more toward the ranger definition, but we've had people who say "Screw that, I wanna be a warrior!", and do crossfit as a warrior because barbells are their true love and the conditioning is a necessary evil. Spezzy and This_is_Seth are two of the mod team that fit this description. As long as you love lifting heavy things, you're welcome to the warriors, no matter what else you do as well.

Your first challenge must be done in the first time challenger area before moving to a specific guild. That said, you can still hang around in the warrior social areas.

As far as Crossfit goes, it's more toward the ranger definition, but we've had people who say "Screw that, I wanna be a warrior!", and do crossfit as a warrior because barbells are their true love and the conditioning is a necessary evil. Spezzy and This_is_Seth are two of the mod team that fit this description. As long as you love lifting heavy things, you're welcome to the warriors, no matter what else you do as well.

Thanks for the welcome. I am definitely the type of person that toughs it out through the other stuff in Crossfit to get to the lifting. I will look into the Ranger guild as well, but I have a feeling being a warrior is where I want to be.

As far as Crossfit goes, it's more toward the ranger definition, but we've had people who say "Screw that, I wanna be a warrior!", and do crossfit as a warrior because barbells are their true love and the conditioning is a necessary evil. Spezzy and This_is_Seth are two of the mod team that fit this description. As long as you love lifting heavy things and bacon, you're welcome to the warriors, no matter what else you do as well.

ftfy :)