• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

Joining the Monks: Welcome to the Monastery!

Looking for a good fight or the ability to move with explosive grace and powerful speed? The Monks are probably the guild for you.

We as a whole are dedicated to the martial arts. We come from and tend to represent a wide range of styles: karate, judo, bjj, ninjutsu, wing chun, SCA, boxing. You name it, and we've probably seen it through here at some point. We like to think of ourselves as being open to just about anybody who wants to train: whether you train for combat or for sport, or if you train for fun, or for spiritual reasons. Whatever moves you, so long as you're moving.

As martial artists, our primary form of training is the dojo. We understand that there's no 'getting ready' for time on the mat. Time on the mat is what prepares you for further time down the line. Being in class is what gets you ready for the next class.

All that being said, we embrace several different forms of training in addition to our time spent in class. Traditionally, calisthenics and running formed the base of a martial artist's strength and conditioning training. But there are other tools and other methods to building strength and stamina, and we aren't against any of them. Whether you use kettlebells, barbells, clubs, sandbags, homemade implements, long runs or sprints, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you figure out your style's demands and form the basis of your S&C on that.

Common Goals for Monks:

• Finding Schools in x area
  • Begin attending Schools in x area
  • Attend class x times per week.
  • Competing in tournament
  • Training for Rank Ups/Advancement
  • Sparring More
  • Training More Forms

If you have any questions at all, you can feel free to contact me or Spauracchio. We'll be glad to get back to you as soon as we can to answer any questions you might have!

Thank you once again for considering the Monks. See you on the mats!

• Like 4

I am going to join you for the next two challenges. I hope you don't mind having an Adventurer guild leader amongst you :) 

I'm looking to incorporate boxing into my non weight training days (and honestly i think it would help me get stronger for that too), plus i need a little more discipline in my life!!  More agility, more grace and more stamina - that's what i think boxing will also give me. So i'm going to find a school in my area, sign up for classes and try and get into the ring by the end of the first challenge! 

Can i come play in your sandbox?

• Like 1

Come on in! We're always glad to see more people. Boxing will definitely help you with those things.

• Like 1

I'm very excited to be joining in my first challenge as a monk. I'm torn, as my goals are warrior-esque and assassin-esque, but taekwondo is my first love, so here I am, ready to add new life habits and see their results in the dojang. 

• Like 1

How exciting! We'll definitely be glad to have you in the guild. And you know, the best ways to get strong involve both assassin and warrior methods. You're definitely free to explore that kind of thing with us.

• Like 1

And to think when I joined Nerdfitness I was certain I was going to be a Ranger.

Happy to be a part of the guild and surrounded experienced elders. Hope no one minds that I'll be popping into the other guilds occasionally. :D

And to think when I joined Nerdfitness I was certain I was going to be a Ranger.

Happy to be a part of the guild and surrounded experienced elders. Hope no one minds that I'll be popping into the other guilds occasionally. :D

You never know, man. All the more reason to not limit yourself. You don't owe it to yourself to do that. :)

And definitely do! We try to have friends everywhere - the more, the merrier.

This one is going to be joining you for a while, I think. Pleasure to be working with you.

And also with you. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you.

I'm still a beginner and consequently unable to participate in Guild specificity... But I'm definitely going to be a Monk officially later and a Monk in spirit right now. I've been doing kung fu (choy li fut) for just over a month now - it makes me happy and inspired in a way other fitness pursuits I've tried just haven't engaged me.

So pumped to be a Monk!

• Like 1

I'm still a beginner and consequently unable to participate in Guild specificity... But I'm definitely going to be a Monk officially later and a Monk in spirit right now. I've been doing kung fu (choy li fut) for just over a month now - it makes me happy and inspired in a way other fitness pursuits I've tried just haven't engaged me.

So pumped to be a Monk!

Brilliant !!!!

Will be happy to train in the monastery with you !

:)

I hope to join the monks once I've completed my first challenge! I joined a Krav Maga class at my gym last month and I've been having a blast. No fancy school for me yet.. I'm still learning how to chain moves together, lol, I get tripped up when I do more than three punches in a row. BUT I've never had more fun working out! Maybe a little TOO much fun...

Is there such a thing as too much fun? I think not. And no need to go fancy. You can learn everything you need to learn with very little. It's the student in the dojo that matters, not the dojo itself!

Is there such a thing as too much fun? I think not. And no need to go fancy. You can learn everything you need to learn with very little. It's the student in the dojo that matters, not the dojo itself!

Haha my wallet is happy to hear that!

Hello Monks, I would like to join you in your quest! I have been on the mats for the last couple years doing a variety of stuff (BJJ, Muay Thai Boxing, Judo, ...) and hope to keep going. Just found nerd fitness and excited to get started mashing some nerd into my workouts. Time to break out the old D&D books and look for my next skill to train in. :) 

I'm in this challenge. Finally joining the Monks. I'll be playing bloody knuckles while training in modern arnis/modular knife concepts and trying to gain/maintain some strength in the gym all the while trying to lose some libras.

The Dark Lord himself, huh? Wonder what that'll do to our cred with the other guilds. But, we already have a Sith in there and everything too, so you'll be in good company. :'D

The Dark Lord himself, huh? Wonder what that'll do to our cred with the other guilds. But, we already have a Sith in there and everything too, so you'll be in good company. :'D

Haaasss esssss hhhheeee esssth! Translation:The Monks just might become known as the Death eater's of NF, drinking of Unicorn blood, optional.

*removes shoes*

May I enter the dojo? :)

:D

Come on in.

Haaasss esssss hhhheeee esssth! Translation:The Monks just might become known as the Death eater's of NF, drinking of Unicorn blood, optional.

::wipes mouth after drinking suspicious canister of fluids::

Sure! Totally optional! O.O