• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

Joining the Monks: Welcome to the Monastery!

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Hi.  I lifted Monday morning, and did a nice ukemi-heavy class Monday night.  So yea - aikido + lifting = my happy place.  It's quite doable and complementary if you let your mind and schedule be flexible enough.  Just, er, then you have to watch the whole using muscle thing on techniques in aikido.  Though the concept of using your center and extending has helped in weird ways when lifting.

Strength training and aikido is a weird mix since aikido is so non-strength based.  But the endurance you get from strength training helps immensely. 

Hmm, there was this one guy I trained aikido with. He was a giant and very strong and used this explosiveness sometimes during certain moves. This was very interesting and hard to counter.

well, I will look into it. My gym membership already takes a lot of money. I need to be able to pay aikido lessons. 

13 hours ago, Tash said:

Just a question pure of interest, maybe I should ask it also in the warrior group... Anyone that has experience with a martiaal art combined with weightlifting?

I did aikido some years ago and would be interested to start with it again. But I don't want to give up my gym...

Priorities dude :) It's not hard to juggle both, so long as you're clear with yourself what comes first. Both benefit the mind and body, they are not in conflict... but as @RisenPhoenix warns, relying on strength over technique can be a detriment.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tash said:

Hmm, there was this one guy I trained aikido with. He was a giant and very strong and used this explosiveness sometimes during certain moves. This was very interesting and hard to counter.

Speed is the enemy of technique, in my opinion.  Something can be explosive and quick, but the odds of it being based on muscle rather than your center and getting someone's balance is.... really high.  Doubly so if you're a big guy.  I'm kind of breaking everything down to try and feel the small movements at this point, because I know I use way too much muscle in most things.

16 hours ago, Tash said:

well, I will look into it. My gym membership already takes a lot of money. I need to be able to pay aikido lessons. 

Paying for things is good.  Plus side is apparently most aikido dojos are non-profit, so you should be able to get some decent prices.

• Like 1

Hi guys, new to the rebellion! Looking to become the ultimate Monk/Warrior/Martial artist :)

you can read up on my ranks and challenges etc here 

would love to hear from you :)

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 8:33 AM, Jofyn said:

Hi guys, new to the rebellion! Looking to become the ultimate Monk/Warrior/Martial artist :)

Hey dude. I'm a Ving Tsun Sifu pursing personal training cert ATM, always a pleasure meeting new folks with common interests! Welcome :) 

On 1/12/2016 at 9:33 AM, Jofyn said:

Hey! Monk Guild Leader / Warrior Noob Hybrid here! Welcome to the monastery! Are you joining us this challenge?

On 3/12/2016 at 2:26 PM, RedStone said:

Hey dude. I'm a Ving Tsun Sifu pursing personal training cert ATM, always a pleasure meeting new folks with common interests! Welcome :) 

She's also a badass MF. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, a fresh face here, looking to join the monastery :D

On 3-11-2016 at 2:42 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Speed is the enemy of technique, in my opinion.  Something can be explosive and quick, but the odds of it being based on muscle rather than your center and getting someone's balance is.... really high.  Doubly so if you're a big guy.  I'm kind of breaking everything down to try and feel the small movements at this point, because I know I use way too much muscle in most things.

Paying for things is good.  Plus side is apparently most aikido dojos are non-profit, so you should be able to get some decent prices.

I agree with you for the most part. Speed without technique is a bad thing in my opinion, but speed with technique is great. As long as you build up a solid technique, starting very slowly and letting muscle memory do its work, speed comes naturally. The more you can rely on reflexes, the more you can speed up the move without losing form.

Can I join? Been a martial artist for 11ish years, 2nd dan in shorinji-ryu karate and kobudo, dabble some in jiu-jitsu. Looking to not have work travel tank my training and conditioning always forever.

Also looking to build strength for grappling cuz strength is like size: only folks who think it doesn't matter for grappling/sparring are those who are decently stong/big.

11 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Can I join? Been a martial artist for 11ish years, 2nd dan in shorinji-ryu karate and kobudo, dabble some in jiu-jitsu. Looking to not have work travel tank my training and conditioning always forever.

Also looking to build strength for grappling cuz strength is like size: only folks who think it doesn't matter for grappling/sparring are those who are decently stong/big.

We don't actually turn people down, you know :-)  You'll fit in just fine.  Current Monk forum is here.  Stop by the Courtyard to say Hi to everyone.

Hello! Total noob to the forums here, but not to the martial arts. :) I am a 1st dan in Okinawan Shorin-Kenpo karate, and would love to continue developing as well as possibly pick up a second discipline in the future. Can I join this guild?

I am actually a Monk/Scout hybrid, so I'm not sure if you just pick one or both. Karate is my first love, so I'm here first. However my current training is more focused on marathons. I'd love to work out a good balance of the two, as well as adding in strength training.

4 hours ago, KQ 5 said:

Hello! Total noob to the forums here, but not to the martial arts. :) I am a 1st dan in Okinawan Shorin-Kenpo karate, and would love to continue developing as well as possibly pick up a second discipline in the future. Can I join this guild?

I am actually a Monk/Scout hybrid, so I'm not sure if you just pick one or both. Karate is my first love, so I'm here first. However my current training is more focused on marathons. I'd love to work out a good balance of the two, as well as adding in strength training.

Absolutely, come on in.  Monks and Rangers tend to have lots of people who cross train. Stay where you're comfy or bounce between multiple guilds as you like.  You do need to pick one per challenge to have a thread in but that's the only limitation.  Stop by the Courtyard to say Hi to everyone if you like.

Hi everyone, just started on the site. Martial arts is my passion so Monk was an easy decision. I have a black belt in Taekwondo, but I have since discovered Jiujitsu and all my training of focused in that direction. I'm fairly athletic, but have a few pounds I'd like to get rid of in order to be more agile for grappling. So here I am look, ready to give it my all and make some changes. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alythrae said:

Hi everyone, just started on the site. Martial arts is my passion so Monk was an easy decision. I have a black belt in Taekwondo, but I have since discovered Jiujitsu and all my training of focused in that direction. I'm fairly athletic, but have a few pounds I'd like to get rid of in order to be more agile for grappling. So here I am look, ready to give it my all and make some changes. 

Fantastic, come on in!  We're just into week 2 of the current challenge.  Are you interested in setting one up?  Current chat thread is here and Monk forum is here.

Hiya everyone! I Joined NFA a couple months ago and -finally- decided to stop "just" lurking on the forum.

I come from two years of crossfit/weightlifting  (needed to get stronger/get back in shape) and now I've started boxing and loving it.

I won't lie, most of the time I feel a lumbering idiot next to all those fast footed gals in my gym. lol. 

In any case, getting  faster and more agile have been goals of mine for a while... (on this note, should I pick up yoga too?) and I really needed the change of pace from the weight training.

I'll probably/possibly join in on the next challenge, after seeing how it all works. 

In any case, this is me saying "I'm here".

Howdys, hugs and hollers are all welcome.

• Like 1