Steam summer sale

I was wondering if anyone else has taken advantage of this epic yearly event for nerdkind? If you don't know by now, the Steam summer sale is underway until the 22nd, and you can get games for massively cheap. The sales rotate and you can vote for what game will go on sale next. I got Alan Wake for $2.49 earlier at 90% off. Civilization V was just $7.49 with all expansion packs included, you can't find that deal for less than $50. Bioshock Infinite was 50% off and the new Tomb Raider was going for about $12. So far, this is what I've bought:

Alan Wake

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City (I can't wait to play it in 3D!)

Bioshock I and II (actually I got these together on Amazon for $2.50 each, so 5 for both!!!)

Breath of Death VII

Civilization V: Gold Edition

Company of Heroes: Complete Edition

Cthulhu Saves the World

Dishonored

Expeditions: Conquistador

The Last Remnant

Left 4 Dead

Left 4 Dead 2

Portal 2

Sine Mora

Spec Ops: The Line

Star Wars KOTOR II

System Shock 2

To the Moon

Torchlight II

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

About $130 for ALL of that!!!!

Plus, Xbox Live had a 67% off sale and I got XCOM, Divinity II, Hitman Absolution and Bulletstorm really cheap. I think I'm good until Christmas :D

tl;dr is how I roll

no, savings stay on a savings account. paying less is still paying.

and steam is the face of true evil - you can leave your comp and steam running, go to work, catch a flash sale on your mobile and get home to find your new purchase already downoaded to you comp.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

My BFF told her husband that for every dollar he spent on the Steam summer sale, he had to spend an equivalent amount on her Amazon wish list. Sounds like a deal to me. :)

I would totally hop on board if it weren't for the fact that my computer's specs are NOT up to par for gaming (and this is after upgrading my RAM). I can barely run Chrome, Mail, iCal, Word and Excel at the same time without getting the rainbow wheel of death.

Every time Steam has a sale I curse all the games I bought before. Nothing like seeing a game you bought at retail price on sale for 90% off.

It's gotten to the point I rarely buy games anymore, except for during the Steam sales.

And curse you Rokwing. Now I have Xbox Live sales to watch as well! :tongue:

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Every time Steam has a sale I curse all the games I bought before. Nothing like seeing a game you bought at retail price on sale for 90% off.

It's gotten to the point I rarely buy games anymore, except for during the Steam sales.

And curse you Rokwing. Now I have Xbox Live sales to watch as well! :tongue:

YASSSSS. I feel like a dope for paying full price for Bioshock Infinite back when it first came out. Blarg.

Haha I also got Crysis 3 for $20 from XBL, the entire Half Life series for $10 (all expansions included) from Steam. I can't stop buying things! I cancelled my PS4 preorder because my PC game (and Xbox now) backlog is so large there's no point in getting a PS4. The game I wanted most for it, Watch Dogs, is coming out on PC as well anyway. BTW I highly recommend y'all check out Amazon before buying a game on Steam. That's how I got Bioshock 1 and 2 for just $5 together! Sometimes Amazon beats the Steam price, plus, if you buy it through Amazon, you can still DL through Steam and it acts as a regular Steam product. 

Keep an eye on those XBL sales, they can be pretty epic. 

For those of you who don't have a gaming PC - it pays for itself over a year or two because of how much cheaper you can get games. The highest you'll even pay is $49.99, and that's for brand new software. Making your own PC is also a lot of fun if you have never done so, but I have a gaming laptop (it can run any game on max settings, I even played Crysis 2 on it on Ultra, and the laptop I have is a mere $780 or so on Amazon right now) because it's portable and I am always moving. Plus, gaming PC's now are stronger than PS4 or Xbox One will be, and they will last you a while these days. I expect at least another 3-4 years out of this laptop of playing any game on max settings, and upgrading it when it can't probably won't be too hard. 

tl;dr is how I roll

url-31.jpeg

totally stealing that one.  Rings so many bells :(

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

So far I've gotten...

Metro 2033

Bioshock

Bioshock II

Bioshock Infinite

The Witcher

The Witcher 2

Tomb Raider

Borderlands II (already had first one)

Fallout 3 & New Vegas (both of these mostly just cuz they were so cheap)

Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion... because I play EVE Online but my brother insists I'll like this one too and I don't mind giving it a go.

Seeing as I hadn't installed, let alone played half of the steam games in my library previous to these purchases... it'll take me a while to get through these. c:

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

It's actually been a pretty restrained sale for me. Probably only spent £50 or so (I know that seems like a lot but I don't buy a lot at retail, these are the games that last me till Christmas) 

Steam Store

System Shock 2

Steam Store

Kerbal Space Program

Steam Store

Magicka: Tower of Niflheim

Steam Store

Sleeping Dogs - The Year of the Snake

Steam Store

MAGICKA: HEIRLOOMS ITEM PACK DLC

Steam Store

MAGICKA: DUNGEONS And DAEMONS DLC

Steam Store

Magicka: Grimnirs Lab DLC

Steam Store

MAGICKA: ASPIRING MUSICIAN ROBES DLC

Steam Store

MAGICKA: MEGA VILLAIN ROBES DLC

Steam Store

Civ V Wonders of the Ancient DLC

Steam Store

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World

Steam Store

Antichamber

Steam Store

Endless Space - Disharmony

Steam Store

Hotline Miami

Steam Store

Borderlands 2 Psycho Pack

Steam Store

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Steam Store

Left 4 Dead 2

Really only bought a half dozen games, the rest is DLC to reinvigorate other titles.

I ended up with Total War: Shogun 2 plus the DLC. On the Xbox side I picked up Asura's Wrath for $10.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Haha I also got Crysis 3 for $20 from XBL, the entire Half Life series for $10 (all expansions included) from Steam. I can't stop buying things! I cancelled my PS4 preorder because my PC game (and Xbox now) backlog is so large there's no point in getting a PS4. The game I wanted most for it, Watch Dogs, is coming out on PC as well anyway. BTW I highly recommend y'all check out Amazon before buying a game on Steam. That's how I got Bioshock 1 and 2 for just $5 together! Sometimes Amazon beats the Steam price, plus, if you buy it through Amazon, you can still DL through Steam and it acts as a regular Steam product. 

Keep an eye on those XBL sales, they can be pretty epic. 

For those of you who don't have a gaming PC - it pays for itself over a year or two because of how much cheaper you can get games. The highest you'll even pay is $49.99, and that's for brand new software. Making your own PC is also a lot of fun if you have never done so, but I have a gaming laptop (it can run any game on max settings, I even played Crysis 2 on it on Ultra, and the laptop I have is a mere $780 or so on Amazon right now) because it's portable and I am always moving. Plus, gaming PC's now are stronger than PS4 or Xbox One will be, and they will last you a while these days. I expect at least another 3-4 years out of this laptop of playing any game on max settings, and upgrading it when it can't probably won't be too hard. 

Aaaggghhhh. I just can't bear owning a PC again. They've given me SO much trouble in the past: viruses, slowing to a halt, losing work, photos, etc. Not that Macs can't succumb to the same things, but the incidences have exponentially gone down, almost to the point of disappearing. Plus, Macs are the OS's of choice for creative fields, which I plan on being employed in rather soon.

My brother used to build his own PCs! I'm sure I could do it if I had the inclination and a little guidance, but I'm happy with my Macbook. For the most part. I'm actually looking at upgrading to the Macbook Pro with Retina Display, maxing out all the settings (processor, RAM, hard drive space, etc.)

Guest Snake McClain

i don't do a whole lot of game playing (very few games will keep my attention long). but my best broski has bought a crap ton of games on this this past week. He got all the sonic super duper collection (or whatever it's called) and is loving it. also he got some game called super meat boy and it is awesome. I love seeing stuff like this. I considered getting the DCUO legendary edition for half price. that is a good deal to me.

Aaaggghhhh. I just can't bear owning a PC again. They've given me SO much trouble in the past: viruses, slowing to a halt, losing work, photos, etc. Not that Macs can't succumb to the same things, but the incidences have exponentially gone down, almost to the point of disappearing. Plus, Macs are the OS's of choice for creative fields, which I plan on being employed in rather soon.

My brother used to build his own PCs! I'm sure I could do it if I had the inclination and a little guidance, but I'm happy with my Macbook. For the most part. I'm actually looking at upgrading to the Macbook Pro with Retina Display, maxing out all the settings (processor, RAM, hard drive space, etc.)

If you're looking to upgrade your PC from Mac to Windows I can provide that "little guidance". As an OC'er (Overclocker) of my current PC I can point you in the direction of a good desktop build under $1.5k (and further below if you like). As far as "stock" programs might go, Mac might be your best bet. If you're looking for just a good PC and have the money (Or other means) for programs such as PS, Video editing (Sony Vegas is my favorite), etc. then I ( by I, I'm sure I mean myself and a bunch of other NF'ers) can point you in the right direction.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

I'm sorry to hear that :( If you ever wish to dabble in that area again, I would definitely recommend going to build-your-own path. So much more fun :), and in my experience leads to far fewer problems

I do enjoy my Macbook though. It's a guilty pleasure :)

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

PC with Windows 7 is really good, I never have any problem with mine at all. Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials work outstandingly, and are free. If you have 8-12 gigs of RAM it's nearly impossible to slow down or halt. I like my iPhone and I want an iPad (I hate Android), but I can't get the hang of Mac and its software selection is still limited compared to the PC's. It's so easy to upgrade and troubleshoot a PC compared to a Mac too. However, with a great Macbook Pro you'd probably be able to play a lot of great games anyway. 

I did music recording for awhile back in college, and I always found PC's to be easier to work with than Mac's. I never understood why Mac's were so much more popular in the industry, especially when the PC had cheap or even free high quality sound recording software. 

Anyway, Steam does have a lot of games for Mac. http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/. Don't leave yourself out of the glory and madness that is the Steam Summer Sale just for having a Mac. 

tl;dr is how I roll

Ahahaha. Yes brilliant. But usually before the Steamsales I try to filter what games I'd buy. So I usually only end up with one or two games I wanted in the first place. So far not much I wanted came up. I gifted someone a game. But that's it. And someone gave me the Borderlands 2 Season pass (OH GOD THAT GAME IS GOOD).

Health is more than the absence of sickness!

Before the dust settlied I also bought:

Baulder's Gate enhanced edition

All the Dishonored DLC

All the Just Cause games and their DLC

Every Half Life game and DLC

Final Fantasy 7

Rage

I don't know how I'll play all this. I basically have a 1.5 year long backlog. But hey, it was all for about $180. Sun Tzu said "opportunities are multiplied as they are seized." 

tl;dr is how I roll