Krav Maga help! Tiny girl vs. Giants

Hey guys! I could really use some tips and thought I'd see if the community could help.

Recently my krav maga gym has been flooded with really tall guys (I have no idea why) and now I have to learn how to defend against their attacks (5'4'' girl vs. guys 6'2''+). In a blocking drill, I was completely unable to mount an effective defense from an overhead strike, aka they just reached around my defense and chuckled.  :numbness:

This change in partners is probably for the best (if I am ever attacked it probably won't be by someone my own size), but if I can't figure out what to do differently then it's a moot point. 

Any ideas?

"Whatever doesn't kill me... had better start running."

Challenge: 1, 2

Mine didn't really... they kinda wanted us to focus on the specific technique they were teaching.

Have you asked your instructors? I would expect a competent instructor to have suggestions on how to deal with that.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

@ Kishi: Sadly, they really frown on that except for during 'Fight Club' sessions and I'm waiting until I'm at least a lvl 2 before attempting to go to one of those. 

@Choronodon: The instructor told me to try reaching up more with my block but that didn't seem to help much (left me really exposed to an attack from the other side). I plan on asking about it again the next time I hit the gym but thought I'd see if anyone on here had any ideas. :-)

Well, if they won't let you mix your disciplines, then maybe the best move is to attack more than they do. It's harder, particularly when they have reach on you, but if you develop the mindset of getting close and ripping into them all the time, they definitely won't be concentrating on your guard.

@ Kishi: Sadly, they really frown on that except for during 'Fight Club' sessions and I'm waiting until I'm at least a lvl 2 before attempting to go to one of those. 

@Choronodon: The instructor told me to try reaching up more with my block but that didn't seem to help much (left me really exposed to an attack from the other side). I plan on asking about it again the next time I hit the gym but thought I'd see if anyone on here had any ideas. :-)

Groin strike? Seems to be Krav's answer to all problems :P

I hope your instructor can help. It might be a niche scenario where Krav doesn't really work for you in that situation, it happens. We were working chokes once in class and I got paired with a woman half my size / weight. It was a pointless exercise for her because of the size / weight imbalance. There wasn't anything she could do in the context of the technique we were discussing to break the choke.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Okay some tips for girls that are shorter than guy...

Use your legs to block their approach (low savate kick)205.gif.. often guy prefer to use their punches because they are quite powerfull...but girls are more flexible. So kicking will stop them and anoy them, specially on the shinebone, or the knee, hip..

Avoid wrestling because they might have a weight advantage, and if you have to do so, try to fats go behind them to do a stragulation like hada jime.

In general either moove out of the attack first, (if you can to avoid contact), and snap fats (step aside of the attack, and kick)fouettbasjambeav.gif;

either deflect attack (like in wing chun ) and enter in a very close range (where his size is a problem) to puch fast and often, and move away quick...

if that can help...

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

oops have to read hadaka jime...and not hada jime...

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Groin strike? Seems to be Krav's answer to all problems :tongue:

That is my Krav Maga instructor's answer. When in doubt, groin kick.

It doesn't seem to be as much the "Krav Maga" way, but take a step back. If you can't effectively block the attack, get out of the way. In my sword fighting that is what we do. If you are going "to get killed" then get out the way. Run away if you have to. Fight on your terms.

If you are supposed to be doing blocking drills and your partner isn't helping you work towards that then you might need to see if you can switch partners. See if your partner has any suggestions as to how to block their attack. If your instructor can't help and your partner can't help then you might need to go elsewhere and find someone who can.

Lvl 2 Human

STR 2.5  |  DEX 2.5  |  STA 1.5  |  CON 2.5  |  WIS 2.25  |  CHA 1.75

Fitocracy | Current Challenge

Hold Fast

Get in close.  If you stay low and get in quick you have their entire abdomen, groin, as well as thighs (inner thigh hits are crippling).  This will also give them even less area to make a strike.  When you drop your center and correctly block yourself you will be like a unstoppable tank.  If you stay at a distance from them you will only play on their advantages (I.E. long legs and arms).  When you are in very close it is quite cumbersome for the guy to be able to sneak in, and often opponents do not know how to safely withdraw without leaving vitals open.  This is where knee, elbow, and palm strikes will come in pretty handy.  Don't be afraid to rush in and be bloodthirsty.  Remember, there is no such thing as a fair fight.  ESPECIALLY in Krav Maga :D

Level 1 Warforged: Neophyte of the Empty Hand

“The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.â€

I'm training wing chun and they taught us a block that basically guides all overhead attacks to the side letting you move in. But generally if they're attacking from an overhead twisting to have your wrist above your center while pointing the elbow out to a side keeping your arm at almost a 90 degree angle at the shoulder but an obtuse angle at the elbow will help guide overhead attacks off your body. Adding a roll to the motion when bringing up the wrist will greatly deflect oncoming impact. This should also set you up pretty well for an inside elbow strike straight ahead as a counter. I think a lot of wing chun principles carry over to krav maga so this might be a tactic to try.

Talk with your instructor...adapt overcome..."in the real world" you are not going to be able to exchange your attacker for one of a more convient size. 

While I'm new to krav I hold a black belt in Tang Soo Do (10+ years), trainined 2 years in American Kenpo, and in my Krav classes there are a couple of women that I probably have at least 1 foot in hieght and easily 100 lbs on...on a couple occasions I've been paired up when we work either 360 drill or kicks and punches....I don't blast them with every kick or punch...instead I'll spend more time on technique, stance, foot work, yes one of two punches are going to have some pep in them, even through the tombstone pad gives a little taste of a body hit.  When it is there turn I work at their pace..let them get the feel of defending against a larger stronger attacker. 

"My mind has changed My body's frame but God I like it

My hearts aflame My body's strained but God I like it"

Thanks everyone for all of the tips! After playing around with it for the past few weeks I've figured out a slight modification that works for me: I hold my elbows slightly wider than I would normally, fight a little closer to neutralize his reach advantage, and have my opposite arm ready to throw a jab. Seems to be working well, especially that jab. ;-)

Krav maga is all about moving in and using your "block" as a strike. Burst forward into the attack, closing the distance and using your forward momentum to get some power behind your block/counterstrike. Your blocking arm should be striking hard into the attacker's attacking arm, slowing the strike down if not knocking it back entirely (and causing some pain in the process). Your partner's arm should be bruised on the inside from your blocks by the end of the drill. Instead of just having your opposite arm ready for a jab, use it to strike as you move in. It could be a palm strike under the chin, a straight punch, or an elbow straight in to the solar plexus. I prefer the palm strike or the elbow, but regardless take advantage of your forward movement to get more behind that counterstrike.

Hope this helps! Keep training hard! Be aggressive!

Half-Elf   Level 2 Monk 

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA  1

First Challenge, Second Challenge (Current)

"Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever achieved."

I don't want to put a downer on this but if we are discussing a larger man actually attacking a smaller woman with intent to harm you are going to have little option but to actually try and get the hell away as quickly as possible.

There is a reality to actual fighting that just doesn't seem to get addressed in a lot of these scenarios.

People have suggested some useful things: like spear defense and deflection whilst circling. All fine in theory...

...but: You're small, they're big which also means they've more weight, grip, tendon strength etc. Have you ever actually had a 6ft+ fully grown man try and punch you as hard as they can (even with a poor overhand baseball punch)? Your frame isn't going to do much if you try and meet i full on. Hell, I've commentated fights where men have blocked each others strikes and they've still broken they're arms in the process (granted that's kicks but you get the point). The force production is just so wildly above anything you can realistically drill safely.

This does not mean that I'm saying no smaller women can defend or even take out larger men, but the several of your height I know who can are pro-level fighters who train full time and have thousands of thousands of hours of actual full contact experience.

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

Agreed that getting away should be the first thing on your mind in any sort of situation like this. The best defense is the Nike defense. This absolutely needs to be stressed by instructors. But part of learning any martial art is learning techniques one can use when getting away is not immediately an option. The idea is to minimize the damage you take by (in this case) moving inside the strike and slowing it down with a block and to strike back at vulnerable areas to create an opening to get away.

No technique is perfect. And anyone in this situation is likely to get hurt. But by executing these techniques we can hope to escape without permanent damage.

Half-Elf   Level 2 Monk 

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA  1

First Challenge, Second Challenge (Current)

"Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever achieved."

Honestly, I believe that in a real world situation, one of your best assets is going to be a loud fierce kiai! It really catches them off guard and people instinctually know that loud and aggressive = bad news. Catch them off guard with that and try your moves, I'm betting you'll see more success. Being loud is highly undervalued anymore.

Nerd Fitness Secret Santa is going on! Sign up ends on the 28th! http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9477898/91303a/

I don't want to put a downer on this but if we are discussing a larger man actually attacking a smaller woman with intent to harm you are going to have little option but to actually try and get the hell away as quickly as possible.

There is a reality to actual fighting that just doesn't seem to get addressed in a lot of these scenarios.

People have suggested some useful things: like spear defense and deflection whilst circling. All fine in theory...

...but: You're small, they're big which also means they've more weight, grip, tendon strength etc. Have you ever actually had a 6ft+ fully grown man try and punch you as hard as they can (even with a poor overhand baseball punch)? Your frame isn't going to do much if you try and meet i full on. Hell, I've commentated fights where men have blocked each others strikes and they've still broken they're arms in the process (granted that's kicks but you get the point). The force production is just so wildly above anything you can realistically drill safely.

This does not mean that I'm saying no smaller women can defend or even take out larger men, but the several of your height I know who can are pro-level fighters who train full time and have thousands of thousands of hours of actual full contact experience.

It is obvious that fighting an enormous MMA trained fighter in a classical combat is almost impossible, even for a normal big guy...

ALWAYS you should run away a fight with a big guy if you don't need to defend anyone.

But, because there is a but, when fighting for your life,or the one of your kids, you have no choice but to do all what you can

And sometimes the element of surprise can change the battle...

I have seen girls (of course well trained) kick giant's ass, kicking very fast groin.

And i have been training with a frech kick boxing champion, and she avoided kicking my ass because she was nice :) when we trained in kickboxing, but she had really hard time with grappling because of the difference of weight..

So just kick (or hit the face, eyes, throat,groin..) and run is the first option (and if possible with a stick, bottle, humbrella, a pen...), avoid classical "men's standing" fight (like mma because it is a strength and technique fight where weight and muscle is obviously dominant), and use all the tricks you can ; sending stuffs to eyes (drink, keys, spay...) and again hit and run could be a solution...

So i believe a trained girl has a chance to survive the streetfight against a non professional fighter, (even if the rate is very low versus a trained warrior of course)..

So again.. hit fast and nasty! run ! call for help !

Bruce Lee

I agree, in general if you can get away to avoid a fight that's probably the best course of action. That being said, doing defensive drills coupled with an offensive attack afterwards so that they become a normal muscle reaction will give you a huge advantage in getting away as well. Chances are they'll be surprised by the hit and give you an extra few seconds (or minutes depending on your attack) to haul ass.

Everyone has really good points and I think it comes down to differences in how gyms teach krav. I've heard of some that definitely give their students (especially their female students) a false sense of security.

The approach my gym takes to level 1 training is to prepare you for how to diffuse situations, escape attackers in various environments (read parkour training), and (if the first two fail) how to mount an effective offense (since this is krav :-P) against an untrained attacker. I'm a pretty strong lady and know I can do some damage if need be, but clearly I'm going to try for those first two options before resorting to violence. We also practice how to take hits and escape various grabs/holds constantly.

It takes about 6mos to a year of serious training before my gym will let you take the 4 hour long level 1 test since they want you to be at the point where your default response to an unexpected attack is the correct counter (block/strike/what have you).

Level 2 in my gym adds in moves to counter opponents who have some sort of fighting skill and at this point we're encouraged (especially the ladies) to participate in 'fight club' classes that give you some experience with trying to fight a trained opponent. Clearly this in no way mirrors a real-world scenario, but from the classes I've watched, it gives you a good sense of where you are with regards to technique, reaction time and endurance.

Everyone has really good points and I think it comes down to differences in how gyms teach krav. I've heard of some that definitely give their students (especially their female students) a false sense of security.

The approach my gym takes to level 1 training is to prepare you for how to diffuse situations, escape attackers in various environments (read parkour training), and (if the first two fail) how to mount an effective offense (since this is krav :-P) against an untrained attacker. I'm a pretty strong lady and know I can do some damage if need be, but clearly I'm going to try for those first two options before resorting to violence. We also practice how to take hits and escape various grabs/holds constantly.

It takes about 6mos to a year of serious training before my gym will let you take the 4 hour long level 1 test since they want you to be at the point where your default response to an unexpected attack is the correct counter (block/strike/what have you).

Level 2 in my gym adds in moves to counter opponents who have some sort of fighting skill and at this point we're encouraged (especially the ladies) to participate in 'fight club' classes that give you some experience with trying to fight a trained opponent. Clearly this in no way mirrors a real-world scenario, but from the classes I've watched, it gives you a good sense of where you are with regards to technique, reaction time and endurance.

Well to tell the truth i just hope you will never have to know if you are good or not, because it will mean you were in a danger situation...

But the harder you train the best it is, krav maga is simple that makes it efficient, as in a real combat your brain will not process all the information.

So what matter is to hit strong fast and run...and krav maga is about that ! The good thing is that an attacker often attacks because he thinks he is stronger... so before he understands he is not .. knock him down (and that is enough no extra violence) and run !

And that fact doesn't appear in dojo trainings because people are here to train.

Prepare for combat but embrace peace...

Bruce Lee

Yeah, that's a tough scenario for teaching mode. I would think the instructor(s) would be more involved in breaking up a mismatched training pair and finding you someone who's more your size - at least for initially learning new defensive/offensive techniques. You still probably need to experience the mismatch in a self-defense or light sparring scenario, but you're trying to learn different things then: reach, managing distance, etc.

In a fighting scenario, when someone has superior reach, you're left with using your legs to prevent them closing in on you - either by your footwork or kicks. Similar to what Samwise was saying, counter by getting really close in and using knees/elbows so that their reach is no longer an advantage. Either way, your goal in sparring shouldn't be to stand toe-to-toe with the guy. Incapacitate and get away.

#1 rule in the schools I've trained in - Go Home.

I too am a small-framed female IKM practicioner.  The key is "close contact" combat; if you can't defuse the situation or escape, getting in really close with monstrous aggression is our way (but do everything to avoid a ground fight).  As you know, however, speed will be your natural advantage, so quickly firing a burning aggressive force is something to focus on building.

Hostile intent is imminent. You prepare for battle.