Yoga newbie question

Hi everyone,

Totally new here, I'm currently waiting for the next 6-week challenge to start, good time to join.

I am 5'8", 142lbs (within the healthy weight range, although i'm hoping to lose a little) but my body fat % is about 28%.. which is higher than the "ideal".. and i would like to boost my energy a bit and just all around feel better... so that's why i'm here, i'm hoping to tackle it through diet and moderate exercise.

One of my goals for this coming challenge is to do this one hour yoga DVD 3x per week, going to work up to 5x in the next challenge.

The DVD i have is "The Biggest Loser Wight Loss Yoga". I live a VERY sedentary lifestyle with very little exercise appart from chasing my 3.5-year-old and 10-month-old around. I am on maternity leave until Sept 23rd, so i would like to use some of the time i have left to incorporate a little exercise into my weekly routine that i will hopefully be able to hold on to after returnting to work (between working 40 hours per week, studying 10+ hours per week and looking after my two little ones the rest of the time, i'm not sure how i will find the motivation to stick with it :S, but i'm going to try).

I was wondering if anyone has tried this DVD?  It claims to be of pretty high intensity as far as yoga goes (but i have no idea because i haven't tried yoga before).. and says it's for "intermediate fitness level"  which i certainly am not.  I did it for the first time today and only made it through level 1 and maybe half of level 2 before i just couldn't do anymore.. so i skipped ahead to the cooldown (actually worked up quite a sweat, and i could tell my heart rate was elevated). I'm hoping to work up to being able to do the full hour by the time the next challenge starts.  I did notice on the website that they suggest beginners start by only doing level 1.. so i don't feel as bad now for not making it, lol.  They also have a few participants that do modified versions of the positions that i can follow as a beginner as well.

What do you think?  Should i start with something else as a beginner? or try to stick with this?

Wood Elf - Newbie Druid :pride:

|| LVL 1 || STR 1 || DEX 1 || STA 1 || CON 2 || WIS 6 || CHA 4 ||

First challenge || MyFitnessPal

I think you'll adapt to doing yoga in time.  I think 3 times a week is more than enough when you're just starting out, because it is a hard workout.  If I were you, I would maybe repeat level 1 twice, or continue doing level 2 after level 1 but with the easiest poses.  If your goal is to do it for an hour, at least leave it on for an hour and do as much as you can.  There's no shame in child's pose or downward dog to catch your breath.

Yoga is supposed to feel good so the progression is slow and gradual.  I learned off a video as well and now I attend classes 4-5 times a week.  Just be conscious of your body and do as much as you are able.

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

Thanks! I think I will stick with it, and like you said just do as much as I can :)

I hadn't thought of doing the level 1 multiple times, that's a good idea, and would probably allow me to get a full hour in until I feel I can more comfortably move onto the other levels.

Often, in yoga class we'll do something like downward dog to warrior over and over. The first time is real slow and the second time is faster and you stretch further. So definitely do Level 1 more than once because it will likely feel different the second time once things have started to stretch out.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Warm Up

Try 3x Sun Salutation A's

Try 3x Sun Salutation Bs or 6x as you have to do it twice for each side. 

Each side Triangle

Each side reverse warrior

Each side side angle  or extended side angle.   Try for a bind if your flexible.   Really flexible and can bind and want to go further, try a Bird of Paradise pose(caution entering)

Horse squat

wide legged forward fold or tripod headstand or basket headstand

Leg Balances

Chair pose.   Just do this pose in between each of the following poses.   Sit them glutes low!

Each side tree pose,   tree with hands at heart, tree with hands towards the sky.   Look up if you feel brave.  Close your eyes to test your balance.(3 seconds and I fall over )

Each side Eagle pose but do a transition into dancers pose from eagle

Throw in half moon pose on each side(block recommended at first) or core supported and keep your lower arm off the ground. 

Arm and Other Balances

Crow pose

Chair pose again!   Now, hands at heart center, twist to the right for twisting chair.   Take side crow for arm balance variation.  Open 1 arm to the floor and 1 to the sky for another variation.  

Standing split on each side.  keep your hips flat

Core & Hips

Boat, low boat, boat, low boat.  repeat 10 more times. and lower down to the floor and sigh out the pain.   (it's ok, it really hurts i know)

downdog, one leg high, forward and cross into half pigeon pose.  repeat on other side.  sit in this one for about 2 mins. if you can. 

Backbends

cobra pose a few times

Bow pose if your back is ready for it

Bridge or supported bridge with a block under you sacrum for 10 seconds

Bridge again only double the count.

if you feel up to it now, do a wheel pose and hold for 10 secs.

squeeze your knees into your chest and rock back and forth to let out some junk you just let loose in your back.   

Inversion(only if up to it)

Shoulder stand

Handstand

Whatever stand you want if you can.  

Chill Time

1 leg forward, the other up and over for a spinal stretch.   hold for 30 secs, repeat on other side.

Savasana, dead mans or corpse pose.   Sit here for 5 mins and let the workout you just did sink in.   

This is about an hours worth of workout here and about what I end up doing most mornings in a 90-100 degree room.   

Best of luck and be safe!

~Namaste

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

Thanks for the info Namaste :D i will have to look up the positions, lol, but sounds good anyways.  I am not very flexible... that's one of the things i am working on :)

Perfect image for your notion of flex.....

020xCgf.jpg

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

Everyone has really good advice.

I would like to add one thing though about the difference between DVDs and joining a class. In the classes you have everyone to push you and make you go further than you often would on your own. Make sure when you are doing it you are pushing your limits (safely), and try to go past when you would normally stop as longer as you are not hurting yourself. Destroy the mental barriers of fatigue and doubt!

Keeping track of your progress, whether it be time or repetitions of each stretch and increasing it a little every week is a great way to get stronger and more flexible!

Good luck to you!

It's funny you say that, because I totally thought about that while i was doing it yesterday!  I almost stopped at one point but then tried to keep going as if there were others watching me.  I ended up doing the warm-up, level 1 twice and the cooldown which was about 70-75 mins total.. i was pretty proud, lol.  a few more times doing it that way and i will hopefully be able to start incorporating level 2 instead of duplicating level 1.

Everyone has really good advice.

I would like to add one thing though about the difference between DVDs and joining a class. In the classes you have everyone to push you and make you go further than you often would on your own. Make sure when you are doing it you are pushing your limits (safely), and try to go past when you would normally stop as longer as you are not hurting yourself. Destroy the mental barriers of fatigue and doubt!

Keeping track of your progress, whether it be time or repetitions of each stretch and increasing it a little every week is a great way to get stronger and more flexible!

Good luck to you!

Often in the yoga classes I've been attending, we have some kind of free time where we can practice a balance or something. One yogini believes that yoga, on some level, is play. Just like kids playing, play with yoga and moving your body. Maybe this time you feel like spreading your legs wider, maybe you feel like holding your arms over head instead of out like a T. Don't be afraid to experiment, push past your limits, and try something new. You can ALWAYS go back if it feels bad or hurts.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5