Electrolytes and magnesium

wideeyed

Last night, I did a really challenging walk. Got home with a headache, shaky, etc. Food for the day was fine, hydration was good, but I sweat hugely. Wound up sending hubby to convenience store for Low cal Gatorade.

I can't eat bananas, and I am not eating potatoes. Tracking micros, my potassium is usually low. Other sources? Also, anyone using magnesium supplements? Do the transdermal ones work? They are supposed to help with the muscle pain from fibromyalgia, and off topic for the anxiety/depression from Asperger's. From limited research, it is really hard to get even the minimum RDA from food, especially if you aren't doing grains. Malic acid is also supposed to be helpful for the fibro.

Paleo has reduced my symptoms by 80%. Exercise sometimes brings them back. This morning, I woke up thinking of The Princess Bride: "To the pain."

At this point, I am willing to try supplements to avoid taking so much other medication.

Thanks,

Marge

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Here's where I go whenever I'm looking for a specific nutrient : http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

(I usually set the "within" pull down menu to avoid the stuff I don't eat, which for paleo, would mean doing a few separate searches 'vegetables and vegetable products' and 'nuts and seeds' then the different meaty products, and maybe the 'spices and herbs.'  I usually have to scroll through a bit to find things that I eat, but I almost always find something I didn't know about.)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I was just researching electrolytes and what to do if you don't like artificial sports drinks. I have found hardly anything without sugar or artificial sweeteners.

I saw Vega Sports at least uses stevia. Though it's expensive. Has anybody tried that yet?

Anyways, for now I am going with a homemade drink. I add juice of 1/2 orange (or grapefruit or lime or lemon), 1 1/2 tbsp honey, 1/4 tsp maldon sea salt to 1 litre water. Tasty for sure. We'll see how it works.

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Coconut water is awesome to drink instead of sports drinks. It's isotonic and has all the major electrolytes in the perfect balance. 

Also, after I took an 8 day course of prednisone, I started having anxiety attacks and heart palpitations and muscle twitches. I started taking 600mg per day of Magnesium glycinate tablets and the symptoms have gone away about 90%. I still get a few muscle twitches maybe once or twice a day, and I get heart palpitations maybe once a week and anxiety maybe every 2-3 weeks, vs all of them almost every day and muscle twitches for hours without end. 

Natural calm is not that great. I started off taking it and hate the taste and could only take about 300mg before I got diarrhea. The mag glycinate is much more absorbable and I can take 600mg with no side effects.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I eat white beans, dried apricots (fresh ones are nice broiled!), and dark leafy greens.

I'm low in potassium a lot as well and don't really like bananas so I understand your plight a bit :-). Good luck!

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you