• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

The Courtyard

A place where we can gather to talk about our differences peaceful like!

Or, you know, fight it out.

Whichever. ;)

We require epic music.  

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to write up a prose piece to introduce my challenge and epic goal.  Without epic music, all will be lost.

I'm also working on my next challenge goal.  What do I even want to challenge myself to?

EVERYTHING.

*Ahem*

I have my challenge goals down, I just need to sit down to formalize them/plot things out with a friend first.  Should prove interesting.  And by interesting, I mean painful and all-together rewarding.

See, mine is almost the antithesis of nerdy.  Like, enough that I'm almost ashamed. (That being said, it's kind of epic.  Well, for me, anyway.)

Hi guys, i'm joining you this challenge, however my thread is still in the Adventurers' guild as an example to my folks.  i will move it over on Sunday, but if you'd guys would like to see it in the mean time, my thread is linked in my sig.  I'm really really looking forward to working with you guys and soaking up whatever knowledge you have to impart on me :)

Sure! I was wondering how/when you were gonna get on in with us. I'll be glad to stop on by.

Sure! I was wondering how/when you were gonna get on in with us. I'll be glad to stop on by.

Yip.  Just need to set an example first with my own guild before I can move over :)  And looks like i need to find me a song too :P

Angelblaidd! Missed your South African love! <3

There's much love from Sunny (and freaking cold) Safferland for you LW :)

Because it's appropriate to post here:

Things that are epically fun:  Grabbing Japanese BBQ with dojo-mates after class, and on the way home semi-drunkenly practicing in a city park/field.  Squishy astroturf helped.

Less epic was me getting up this morning for work, though...

Ha ha! Drunken sparring is the best sparring. You can't feel pain, so you keep on practicing long past your limits! HAHAHAHA!

Morning after sucks pretty major, tho. -.-

I remember doing that when I lived in a house with three other guys, and we watched Fight Club and Boondock Saints on a daily basis.  I was the only one who trained to fight, so they would get drunk or high and get me to teach them stuff. Then they'd go out in the street or the nearby playground in the rain and fight, and the cops would get called, and we'd be all "No, we're just training! We live right there! Sorry!"

Good times. 

ETA: Is there going to be mini-challenges in this one? I thought I heard mention of that.

Well, we've got some time to kill before the challenge is officially on so we might as well have that talk.

Reading Kamb's article on developing strength and size kind of put things in perspective for me. I'd been wanting to see how he developed his strength. He mentions at one point that if you go into higher rep ranges, at that point, you're just getting really good at particular move.

My thought originally had been that we should be good at general conditioning, just because that would be something that would apply to everyone. But in the end, it's not terribly original to us. Maybe these challenges should be about our differences as monks, how some of us are strikers and some of us are grapplers and how some of us have different techniques and how freaking okay that is.

So, I'm thinking now, maybe we could have each week be dedicated to a particular move, and we alternate between a striker's moveset and a grappler's moveset. So one week would be about punching, then another would be about shrimping, then another about kicking, then another about how long we could hold a bridge or something like that. I would set a 'belt' standard for each one of those, and then in future challenges we would have to 'retest' for the belts to make sure that we've still got it, or to advance in rank.

What do you guys think?

Ha ha! Drunken sparring is the best sparring. You can't feel pain, so you keep on practicing long past your limits! HAHAHAHA!

Morning after sucks pretty major, tho. -.-

Yea.  If I wasn't driving last night I would have consumed a bit more and gone a bit harder.  But as it was, I had to remain sober to drive people home. *shrug*  That being said, August is a 2-day weapons seminar hosted by our dojo that allows you to stay on site overnight.  I'm trying to get them both to go so we can go, train, drink, and then drunken-train all night, before sobering up and doing weapons again.

Well, we've got some time to kill before the challenge is officially on so we might as well have that talk.

Reading Kamb's article on developing strength and size kind of put things in perspective for me. I'd been wanting to see how he developed his strength. He mentions at one point that if you go into higher rep ranges, at that point, you're just getting really good at particular move.

My thought originally had been that we should be good at general conditioning, just because that would be something that would apply to everyone. But in the end, it's not terribly original to us. Maybe these challenges should be about our differences as monks, how some of us are strikers and some of us are grapplers and how some of us have different techniques and how freaking okay that is.

So, I'm thinking now, maybe we could have each week be dedicated to a particular move, and we alternate between a striker's moveset and a grappler's moveset. So one week would be about punching, then another would be about shrimping, then another about kicking, then another about how long we could hold a bridge or something like that. I would set a 'belt' standard for each one of those, and then in future challenges we would have to 'retest' for the belts to make sure that we've still got it, or to advance in rank.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good!  Though I'm curious what you'd be able to have us grapplers do during the challenge.  I imagine mostly footwork for myself, along those lines. Then again, aikido really only has 3 movements....

Sounds good!  Though I'm curious what you'd be able to have us grapplers do during the challenge.  I imagine mostly footwork for myself, along those lines. Then again, aikido really only has 3 movements....

Well, with the Bridge, there's a specific version, sometimes called a Neck Bridge, or a Wrestler's Bridge. Basically, it's a bridge held from the crown of the head as opposed to the arms. It works the neck a great deal, and it tends to mimic the position ground grapplers face where they're trying to duck a pin. Then there's shrimping, as well. For a third move, maybe zenpo kaiten, although I don't know how well that would work given that rolling on hard surfaces just sucks.

If any of the grapplers want to chime in, I'm all ears.

A terrific idea, I concur. 

Also: reading that has actually made me rethink my own goals for the challenge following this one. This could be the last challenge I use the same routine structure.

uh, i'm so very confused about all this grappling and stuff, but sounds good - you know, alternating and all - and i will definitely give it all a go!! I'll white belt the bejeepers outta everything.

I actually have a question (and i've asked it in the equipment forum thingy too).  I have huge hands for a lady (18cm from fingertip to palm base and 16cm from thumb tip to palm side).  Also i'd like to start sparring at some point, but for now I suspect i'll mostly be doing bag work. What weight should my boxing gloves be?