• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blaidd

The 'Blaidd of Greater Discipline pt.1 [2013.5]

I wish I was that lucky!  Right now there is pasta, bread and white rice in my pantry......... goal this weekend is to move everything around in the pantry so it's not all stareing me in the face every time I open the door!  Not to mention my wife loves to bake, and is really really good at it....I give alot of baked goods away to people.

Oh i have pasta and rice in my pantry too, but i hate plastic pasta (i prefer to make my own) and i've never been a particularly big rice eater.  I still eat rice every now and then though but it's mostly basmati or jasmine (and only if i'm not in the mood for cauliflower rice). ehehehe, your wife and i have something in common. I give away a lot of baked goods too ;)

Eek! Hope you're doing all right.

I'm better now.  Just low blood pressure

I oh so totally love those shoes :)

they are totally kick ass!!

Thanks Jenn :)  I have quite the collection (although it's only a 10th of the size it was when i first met my boyrfriend - i had to give away about 90% of my shoe collection so that he'd have cupboard space).

Day 4:  My dizziness continued throughout the day, but i went to see my doctor at lunchtime cos i had become a little concerned.  The last time i'd suffered such a long dizzy spell, i was hospitalised and put on various iron and saline solutions.  My doctor took  (or at least tried to take) my blood pressure readings and at first no readings (this happens often), so he made me do bicycle kicks and then i had a BP of 62/84 (super low,apparently) so he took some blood and all the readings were "normal" (cholestral, blood sugar, iron etc). I think he likes me to come visit him cos every visit he tells me that i'm a medical mystery.  I'm morbidly obese, but i have no related health issues (i.e. no pre-diabetes (or diabetes), no high BP, low to normal cholestral count and no trace of a CVD). Also a good portion of the time he can't even get a BP (he's convinced i'm a zombie - i'm sure of it).

Anyway after the blood tests, he made me get on the eliptical for 2 min and then did another check of my BP and it had gone up a little (out of low and into low normal - 71/90).  He recommended i increase my sodium intake for the day and try do more exercise and sent me out the office with a packet of lightly salted potato crisps (ah, CW).  It helped though cos i was starting to feel better - i bought salted and roasted nuts on my way back to the office and put my raw nuts back in the drawer.  After work i popped up to the mall and went for a walk around, bought myself a fitbit and booked Pacific Rim for next week. I felt so much better after that 45min walk around - maybe i was just excited about my fitbit. By the time i reached Portuguese, i was tip top.

Portuguese class was fun. I got to construct my first paragraph (i guess you'd call it that).  We were each given a city and we had to describe the city we were given and others had to guess it. I got Rio (lol) and this is what i came up with:

Esta uma cidade empolgante com muitas pessoas colorida e Christo Redento no Morro do Corcovado e muitas festas. Gostamo visitar as favelas e os museus e as praias. Gostamo dancar capoeira e comar salgados.

Translation:  It is an exciting city with many colourful people, Christo Redento on the Corcovado Mountains and many festivals.  I  like to visit the favelas, museums and beaches.  I'd like to dance capoeira (thought of my NF buddies, clearly) and eat salgados.

I was pretty proud of that and it was all grammatically correct, apparently, although i'm sure some of the spelling isn't that great.  I even pronounced it all properly (except i'm a little frustrated that i am not able to speak it as fast as i can speak my other languages, gotta give it time i guess).

Q1: signed up, 0/7 - first class on Monday

Q2: Protein: 99.38 Carbs: 123.53 Calories: 2006 - woot, i hit targets on both

Q3: 95% snack free - ate the crisps the doc gave me, but still counting them

Q4: 75% routine complete

Also my new toy (yes it's pink)

6hHwPy2l.jpg

Day 4:  My dizziness continued throughout the day, but i went to see my doctor at lunchtime cos i had become a little concerned.  The last time i'd suffered such a long dizzy spell, i was hospitalised and put on various iron and saline solutions.  My doctor took  (or at least tried to take) my blood pressure readings and at first no readings (this happens often), so he made me do bicycle kicks and then i had a BP of 62/84 (super low,apparently) so he took some blood and all the readings were "normal" (cholestral, blood sugar, iron etc). I think he likes me to come visit him cos every visit he tells me that i'm a medical mystery.  I'm morbidly obese, but i have no related health issues (i.e. no pre-diabetes (or diabetes), no high BP, low to normal cholestral count and no trace of a CVD). Also a good portion of the time he can't even get a BP (he's convinced i'm a zombie - i'm sure of it).

Hmm are you Boer? A boer friend had an operation and set the staff running with a crash cart when in the recovery ward he fell asleep and all the bells and alarms went off as his pulse and blood pressure fell as he went to sleep. He has a resting heart rate of about 45.... Maybe it's one of those odd genetic things!

In the US we put the higher number first so as I was reading your BP story I first thought your higher number was 62! I think it's funny how we've been taught to believe that overweight automatically equals a host of diseases. My mother is 5', weighs 100 lbs and has been in a constant battle with her cholesterol. I've been somewhere between overweight and morbidly obese my whole adult life and my cholesterol, fasting glucose and BP are all fine. I'm not advocating for carrying a lot of weight, just saying that it's not always as simple as the CW would have us believe it is. 

I love my Fitbit. There is a fairly active NF community over there. I have fun checking it throughout the day to see if I'm getting ahead of anyone! Add me as a friend if you like.  http://www.fitbit.com/user/22ZJ6Y

In the US we put the higher number first so as I was reading your BP story I first thought your higher number was 62! I think it's funny how we've been taught to believe that overweight automatically equals a host of diseases. My mother is 5', weighs 100 lbs and has been in a constant battle with her cholesterol. I've been somewhere between overweight and morbidly obese my whole adult life and my cholesterol, fasting glucose and BP are all fine. I'm not advocating for carrying a lot of weight, just saying that it's not always as simple as the CW would have us believe it is. 

In Canada we do it systolic/diastolic, and I think that's pretty standard.  By that reading  AB's blood pressure was just seriously low. o.O

I'm one of those odd people, too, AB.  My doctor always tells me I'm disgustingly healthy.  When I weighted my highest (386ish) I still had better numbers than he did, and he worked out regularly.  It made it hard for me to decide to "get healthy" because my insides were doing fine, or so I thought.  (Truth is that your organs get surrounded by and marbled with fat, and you risk your heart getting enlarged to deal with the increased load of your body, things that can have more serious consequences down the line, and when you double the load on a bearing -- think your knees/joints -- you quarter the life of them.  So I wasn't as "healthy" as the numbers they use for predicting health actually said I was.)

Glad you got it sorted, though!  Next time you feel like that, eat something salty for goodness sake! 

And awesome paragraph!  You must pick up languages like the rest of us pick up new clothing outfits because already grammatically correct and well pronounced?  WOW.

Hey AB!

OMG you have a fast-moving thread, I've just read through 4 pages to catch up!! :) 

BRAZIL - awesomessss.  Are you meeting shoobie there?

Blood pressure - eep, that did sound low!!  Hope you're feeling better now, good to hear the salt helped.

Rewards - love 'em!!  I think I need to borrow your idea! :)

Fitbit - pink - yay!!!  Looks like a cool new toy :)

I think that summarises my thoughts adequately :D

I love my Fitbit. There is a fairly active NF community over there. I have fun checking it throughout the day to see if I'm getting ahead of anyone! Add me as a friend if you like.  http://www.fitbit.com/user/22ZJ6Y

I've sent you an invite on fitbit.  I did so well to start on Friday, but instead i ended 200+ steps short of 10000.  I will get there, i just need to push harder.

In Canada we do it systolic/diastolic, and I think that's pretty standard.  By that reading  AB's blood pressure was just seriously low. o.O

I'm one of those odd people, too, AB.  My doctor always tells me I'm disgustingly healthy.  When I weighted my highest (386ish) I still had better numbers than he did, and he worked out regularly.  It made it hard for me to decide to "get healthy" because my insides were doing fine, or so I thought.  (Truth is that your organs get surrounded by and marbled with fat, and you risk your heart getting enlarged to deal with the increased load of your body, things that can have more serious consequences down the line, and when you double the load on a bearing -- think your knees/joints -- you quarter the life of them.  So I wasn't as "healthy" as the numbers they use for predicting health actually said I was.)

Glad you got it sorted, though!  Next time you feel like that, eat something salty for goodness sake! 

And awesome paragraph!  You must pick up languages like the rest of us pick up new clothing outfits because already grammatically correct and well pronounced?  WOW.

Yeah by no means am I thinking I'm healthy, otherwise i wouldn't be doing this.

Hehe, i have some salted and roasted nuts in both my drawer at work and in the snack cupboard (which is all dried fruit, nuts and biltong hehe).

I pick up languages very quickly. I spent 3 weeks in Amsterdam and I could speak Dutch by the time I left (granted I could speak Afrikaans - an anglocised version - to start with). I hope to be able to speak a fair amount of Portuguese by the time I leave in December (i'm probably going to have to take private lessons when my classes are done though).

Ohh fitbit :)  I have really like having mine.  Hopefully, the dizzy spells don't come back.

Yeah i'm loving it too and really don't even know that i'm wearing it.  I just need to up my step count every single day - i get perks from my medical insurance when i reach 10000 steps.

Hey AB!

OMG you have a fast-moving thread, I've just read through 4 pages to catch up!! :)

BRAZIL - awesomessss.  Are you meeting shoobie there?

Blood pressure - eep, that did sound low!!  Hope you're feeling better now, good to hear the salt helped.

Rewards - love 'em!!  I think I need to borrow your idea! :)

Fitbit - pink - yay!!!  Looks like a cool new toy :)

I think that summarises my thoughts adequately :D

Yeah i'm going especially to meet up with Shoobz :)

Yeah i'm totes loving the rewards idea - it's *extra* motivation to get my goals.  I will do what i need to, to get where i need to go.

FitBit, never heard of that before, looks interesting.

it's a little pedometer type thing that you wear and it counts your steps and calories and other stuff.  Wearing it and meeting the goals set out by my medical insurance earn me extra benefits with them too and so many NFers have one too. You can check it out here.

Weekend 1: It was a complete write off.  On Friday I went out with Jay and his bestie for his bestie's bday.  They ordered some awesome cocktails and I thought i'd try it out, but after not having a single drink for 6 weeks that one drink went straight to my head. I had another quite quickly after without thinking that I was already intoxicated and I was absolutely smashed within 2 drinks. 

Saturday I thought i was fine now and had a drink with my brother at our braai (BBQ) and that hit my rather quickly too.  So my inhibitions were low and i snacked :( Granted that all i had to eat the whole day before and after that snack was braai meat and a greek salad.  Hell i was pretty smashed after just two drinks again.  I think it's time i just give up drinking altogether.  I used to be able to drink people under the table, now i can barely hold my own after 1 drink. 

Week 1 Summary

1. Beat the Laziness Demon, by putting boxing gloves on the Discipline Angel.

Quest Complete: Sign up for classes with a trainer, get the necessary equipment and attend a minimum of 7 sessions

Goal: A = signed up + 7 classes, B = signed up + 5 classes, C = signed up + 3 classes

Reward: New hairstyle

So this week I've signed up for my classes and I start on Monday with a beginners boxing class.  i'm quite excited.  The gym owner has offered to help me choose my gloves (they stock a variety in their shop that i can choose from) and apparently i need to come in earlier for the first few so that they can teach me to wrap properly. It's all very exciting.  I hope to take a pic of me in my "gear" ;)

Quest: class signed up 0/7 classes attended

Rating for the week: A

2. Nurture the Discipline Angel back to health by +50gr daily protein intake and -30gr daily carb intake by 9 Sept.

Week 1: Protein +15gr (85gr); Carbs -5gr (145gr)

Quest Complete: Reached weekly goal for at least 4 full different meals.

Goal: A = 4 meals, B = 3 meals, C = 2 meal

Reward: New Designer Bra

I was actually having a hard time in the beginning of the week with the protein and i'm still having a hard time dropping the snacks.  But i will certainly get it sorted out - 1 meal at a time.

Quest: 4 meals at 85g+ protein and 3 meals at 145g-

Rating for the week: B

3. Weaken the Laziness Demon by reaching and maintaining a 90-100% snack free day.

Quest Complete: 90 - 100% snack free daily.

Goal: A = 90%+, B = 85 - 89%, C = 80-84%

Reward: A Pair of Designer Heels

I'm really struggling with this and I'm going to have to start being way way more disciplined about this. I tripped up this weekend especially because of the alcohol.  I don't know how the hang i'm going to get this done. I *WILL* do it this week. I managed a snack free day on friday and only had a cookie today to taste them.

Quest: 93.57% average for the week, which isn't too bad despite my shortcomings

Rating for the Week: A

Life Quest: Get the Discipline Angel ready to fight by following a set routine

Quest Complete: 85 - 100% routines completed daily.

Goal: A = 85%+, B = 75-84%, C = 70-74%

Reward: 2x Professional House Cleans

I started the week a little shaky, cos i was silly enough to add flossing and mouthwash without having the tools for that (I'd run out and forgot to get some until i got to go shop for it on Wed).  I have been so disorganised about this. The weekend also threw me out, because both Friday and Saturday night I came home smashed.

Quest: 67.07%

Rating for the week: F

Ok I will break week 2, because i know i can!

Good moves. The life goal is off a bit, but that's to be expected, given that you're starting a new routine.

Shrug it off and box it out! Head down! Eyes up! Don't panic!

Cocktails always seem such a good idea at the time!  Ah well at least you enjoyed them and you have to have some fun every now and again, after 6 weeks off the sauce a couple of nights of indulgence is not so bad.

P.S. Is this you? :P

Blaidd, I have the same problem with Lazyness...here's hoping we both get out of it!! and FAST! For our sake, and for the world out there that needs saving.... XD

On other topic, that's an OK first week in my opinion! Keep it up, and go harder this week!

Shake it off and keep your eyes on the big picture - you had more wins than losses this week, which is more than most over-paid professional athletes can say.  :peaceful:   Mount up, lady!  Back on the horse and ride hard into week 2!  You can do it!

And I'm looking forward to those boxing pics!  :nevreness:

Good moves. The life goal is off a bit, but that's to be expected, given that you're starting a new routine.

Shrug it off and box it out! Head down! Eyes up! Don't panic!

Yeah it wasn't a bad week, but i've had better starts.

Box it out indeed.  You're just so tired after a class that there really isn't any energy for anything else ;)

Cocktails always seem such a good idea at the time!  Ah well at least you enjoyed them and you have to have some fun every now and again, after 6 weeks off the sauce a couple of nights of indulgence is not so bad.

P.S. Is this you? :tongue:

hahahaha!!  Yes that was exactly me on saturday night - a drunk cookie monster.  Let's just say i think we will have another long sauce-free session ahead me.  Well that was the plan until i got a message from my guy bestie saying that they're in town this weekend - i might need a weekend to recover from that ;)

Blaidd, I have the same problem with Lazyness...here's hoping we both get out of it!! and FAST! For our sake, and for the world out there that needs saving.... XD

On other topic, that's an OK first week in my opinion! Keep it up, and go harder this week!

yeah we gotta save that world, one step outta laziness at a time.

It was a good week, but i can do better  and i will :)

Shake it off and keep your eyes on the big picture - you had more wins than losses this week, which is more than most over-paid professional athletes can say.  :peaceful:   Mount up, lady!  Back on the horse and ride hard into week 2!  You can do it!

And I'm looking forward to those boxing pics!  :nevreness:

right big picture!!  Gotta go find that again.  I just have to keep reminding myself that although my long term motivation is my nephews, i really wanna look some way towards good in a bikini on the beaches of Brazil and cookies are not gonna get me there :)

yay for starting classes!

tumblr_lie9nf5JM21qhd0uho1_500.gifhere's a little week 2 motivation

hahah oh Dolfie!!  Yes he certainly is motivation.  AND i will break week 2 - in half, like a bread stick.

Day 8: I was owned by my first boxing class!!

My day started off all wobbly.  I couldn't get out of bed - all i wanted to do was sleep. sleep. sleeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!  I eventually made it outta bed and went to gym for a little pick me up, but by the time i got there i had very little time to lift, so opted for a run instead.  I'm heading towards a 5km so doing a training program (it's a hybrid of like 1000 different ones, so don't ask) and i'm currently on week 2, which means i've actually started running.  I quite enjoyed the run and although i didn't get as much pleasure or even energy from the run as i would have from lifting, it was enough to beat off the sleepiness.

Jay decided that he would get up with me, which threw my routine into complete disarray - the man hogs the bathroom longer than i do - so despite managing to get through the whole routine, i went and forgot my lunch :(  It was nice to walk with him to the busstop though, so bonus. I didn't binge though, guys.  I knew i was in trouble cos i was half way to work when i remembered and made a plan.  I got some fruit for snack attacks and then some roast chicken for lunch.  It worked, i only had 2 cookies (that i myself made) the whole day and my macros looked good too.

After work i came home and rushed through as much of my routine as possible, including making dinner.  And off i went to boxing.  WOW!!!!  I was limp and weak after that session.  The first few minutes we were taught how to wrap and then it was the most intense class of body workouts and boxing i've ever done (not that i've ever done boxing), but our trainer, Eric, had no mercy on us.  Granted i was hurting in the ankle department so i didn't have to do the last bit of star jumps (instead i did knee up thingies).  Let's just say that i'd rather do burpess than the squats in that class.  Holy hell!!!  It was fun though and by the end of the lesson i was landing my punches correctly and realised i had done 15 knuckle pushups with no problem.  I need to work on the jump rope - i'm so uncoordinated and keep getting tangled up in it - and i transfer my weight incorrectly when twisting into a punch (hence sore ankles), so i've been given some exercises to practice. I might need to deload my bar and just work on body weight exercises for this challenge (super sad about this), otherwise i'm never going to keep up with the classes.

I tried on some gloves and have settled on 12oz gloves (in pink ;)) which they don't have in stock so i've ordered some and they'll be there on Monday.  The 16oz ones were too heavy for me and just a little too big. They also didn't have wraps in stock.  I borrowed gloves and wraps from them for this session. Plus i think i lost like 15kg just in sweat.  LOL.  SirEarl, can i chalk in my gloves - my hands get so sweaty in there and it's so gross!

Q1: signed up, 1/7 attended

Q2: Protein: 90.07 Carbs: 100.12 Cals: 1507 Fats: 84.69

Q3: 90%

Q4: 80% complete

Just so that you know, my big focus is my snacking, so if i don't hit any of the other target then i'm not torn up about it, as long as i hit Q3. Was kinda proud of my macros yesterday though (although not necessary the calorie one - it needs to come up a little more).  I think the reason i hit such a low carb was because i had an almost perfect primal day.

Bam!  No binging AND your first class

I tried on some gloves and have settled on 12oz gloves (in pink ;)) which they don't have in stock so i've ordered some and they'll be there on Monday.  The 16oz ones were too heavy for me and just a little too big. They also didn't have wraps in stock.  I borrowed gloves and wraps from them for this session. Plus i think i lost like 15kg just in sweat.  LOL.  SirEarl, can i chalk in my gloves - my hands get so sweaty in there and it's so gross!

Just shove some paper towels or newspaper or something after your workout and then remove when the insides are dry.  I've also used fans and bags of cedar chips before.
Soon, the sweat will be like a really gross trophy :)  hahaha

I always put newspaper in my rugby boots to dry out, never thought of it with boxing gloves. Great idea! 

Sounds like the first class was awesome. I've got to save my pennies so I can do some martial arts this winter! 

Just shove some paper towels or newspaper or something after your workout and then remove when the insides are dry.  I've also used fans and bags of cedar chips before.

Soon, the sweat will be like a really gross trophy :)  hahaha

Boxing Advice of the Week! =D

You are certainly balancing a lot of plates there AB, I laughed at your half exasperation at Jay getting ready at the same time as you. Men always complain about women taking too long to get ready, but I've never gone anywhere with Nate where I wasn't ready first. I think they just stare into the mirror for hours and flex or something :-P

I think they just stare into the mirror for hours and flex or something :-P

Busted. It's a bad habit, and I need to change it. :P

realised i had done 15 knuckle pushups with no problem. 

I'm impressed, this is great. :positive: