Hi there!

I'm a 30-year-old teacher from Brazil. I have been struggling with weight loss for as long as I can remember. There are many cases of obesity in my family. My mom passed away at the age of 49 due to a complication after a stomach reduction surgery. She was 5'7'' and weighed almost 400lb. I don't want the same to happen to me!

Because of the extra weight I carry, and the sedentary life I lead, I feel very weak and tired most of the time. I don't have the energy to do things, and that really upsets me. I simply don't have the disposition.

Nine days ago I decided it was time to make some changes in my life, so I joined a gym. I have started working out, and, even though I enjoy it there, I didn't completely trust the instructor. Here is why: I told him I wanted to lose some weight and work on becoming a bit stronger. When I mentioned I was a vegan he immediately told me I would have to drink protein shakes with milk if I wanted to have muscles. "Vegans will never be strong", he said. That didn't sound right to me since I had already read articles about vegan bodybuilders. (And, believe me, that is not my objective at all!)

I changed instructors, and kept on going to the gym anyway. I went there every day last week, worked on weight lifting and cardio exercises. I have always wanted to run, but  never had the guts to do it. Last week, on the treadmill, I decided to give it a try. I remembered something about the walk/run technique, and just went for it. And that's how I got to Nerd Fitness. I was searching the internet for tips on how to run better. I read some articles on the NF website and got so inpired by the life transformations I was reading about that I decided to join the rebellion!

I consider myself a total noob when it comes to exercising and dieting, so any words of encouragement and advise will be helpful.

Thanks!

Level 1 Doppelganger Adventurer
STR 2, DEX 2, STA 2, CON 3, WIS 3, CHA 3

"By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and
enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be."
Irvine Welsh, Trainspotting

Hi, I'm also vegan and I'm just starting my adventure with training and eating reasonable. It's quite a struggle to develop balanced diet when you want to train more seriously. When I need some inspiration I'm using this site: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/

I'm not experienced enough to advice you but you have all my encouragement!

• Like 1

when you come upon misdeeds
speak out about those misdeeds,
and give your enemies no peace. 

Havamal

Thrima, lvl 2 human monk

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge #1

Challenge #2 

Respawn!

Challenge #3

Hey, Natalia!

I've been Vegan for the last 5 years, and Veggie for the last 16! Glad to meet another Vegan here!

I have a good group of Vegan athlete friends, and some of them do some serious lifting, and are built like absolute beasts... No animal protein at all.

Like Thrima said, No Meat Athlete is great, as is Thrive, which is pretty focused on nutrition. Great stuff at both sites!

Glad to meet you!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Hey Natalia!

I'm recently vegan (since October), and I've gotten some of the same flak from my friends.  However, since going vegan, I've been able to lift more and run faster.  Thrima's suggestion of nomeatathlete.com is superb.  That's where I've gotten a lot of my own information from.

If you need help or motivation, we're all here for you!  Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 1

I'm not quite a vegan yet.  Everything I cook for myself (which is almost all meals) is vegan, but I am only a vegetarian when I go out to eat... and in my last challenge I gave up cheese completely with one cheat day.  This is all building up to going 100% vegan eventually, a journey I've been on for a few years now, but I've learned through  many failures I've got to do it slowly or I'll bail.  Cold turkey just doesn't work for me.  When I first tried to go vegan I gained a lot of weight because I ate a bunch of bread and imitation meat/soy products, so I'm now starting my journey to vegan healthily and as whole-foods/plant-based as possible.

I'm excited to see so many vegans and vegetarians around here on NF!  I will reiterate as others have said, No Meat Athlete is a wonderful resource.  So is Thrive Forward as I've recently discovered. So welcome!  Hope to see you in the next challenge :)

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, if you're looking to pack in some protein, chia seeds and hemp seeds are AMAZING. 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds pack 10 g of protein, and mix in really well with anything. Chia seeds are awesome in oatmeal. With those mixed in with my regular food, I can easily hit 100g of protein on a lift day!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG