The Rambling Ronin

Kishi

EPIC MUSIC

Well, because, after all! I am a Ronin. It just makes sense that I should be playing music from that one show about the other ronin.

Main Quest

So, last challenge saw me fulfill a major life goal of mine. I got a job as a personal trainer. It was and is awesome. It has also illuminated a major weakness: I am an absolutely horrible programmer. I have a hard time coming up with programs for people, mostly because I don't trust them. My quest, then, is to work with a custom program that blends all kinds of elements together, from Tim Ferriss to Ross Enamait to "Stone" Paul to Tabata Izumi, and yes, even Steve Kamb.

Part 1: Schedule

So, here's how this is gonna set up, courtesy of Enamait. This is a schedule that is based on his Never Gymless plan, which is specifically tailored for fighters. Some of you may note that I have tried this schedule before in past challenges and flunked it mightily, to which I respond that I'm customizing certain elements to make up for that.

It works like a four-day split: days 1 and 3 are given to anaerobic conditioning drills and isometrics; days 2 and 4 are given to developing different strength qualities using body weight. Day 5 is given as a rest day, at which point the cycle begins again. It should be noted that there is a point in which the cycles deload, to allow the system a chance to rest and recover.

Grading this will be determined by how well I stick to this schedule. Incidentally, I'm gonna be starting this challenge in the middle of a cycle, due to the fact that I'm testing it out the week before the challenge starts. Graded out of 42. +2 WIS, +2 STA, +1 CON

Part 2: Conditioning

This is all about getting the most bang for my buck. I want to make sure that I'm getting the most benefit with the least amount of effort. So, we're gonna play around with Ferriss' '75 Consecutive KB Swings.' The goal here is actually pretty simple: get to 75 consecutive swings at 45 lbs. Once I achieve that, the goal is to begin to add weight to those swings.

This is where it gets interesting. Ferriss recommends 2x per week, and there will definitely be times when I have an extra conditioning day to work with. So, I will be practicing and building up the Tabata Protocol on the odd day that I get. As of this writing, I am at 45+30 KB swings and 4 Tabata intervals on the rower. Grading will be based on achieving 75 straight swings and 8 Tabata Intervals. Also, finishers on the end, just because they're fun and I miss them. Graded as a Pass/Fail. +2 STA, +1 STR

Part 3: Strange Strength

One of the things that's held me back in this training before is my willingness to cut corners in using the alternative methods of building strength (ie skipping core work and isometrics). No more. I'm tired of being a man who makes excuses for not following the odd ways. Don't get me wrong; I'm not giving up on the bread and butter things like push ups and pull ups and the like. It's just that it doesn't take me any more mental effort to do those things. It does take me effort to do the odd things, though.

I will be experimenting with isometrics a la using a single piece of rope and experimenting with all the ways that I can make it hurt. The idea of this is to get used to employing my strength from a series of odd positions of disadvantage. Because, wouldn't you know it, martial artists tend to find themselves there more often than not. ;) Graded out of a possible 21. +3 STR

Life Goal: 500 words per day

So, a funny thing happened after the challenge. I opened up a word processor and started writing. I have an imposed deadline from my friends, and missing it terrifies me. I'm not writing as much as I want, but I'm writing damn more than I have in a while. The goal is to start a chain of 500 words per day and to make sure that the chain remains unbroken. I do not know if I can follow this perfectly, but I definitely intend to try. Graded out of 42. +2 WIS, +2 CHA

As y'all taught me last challenge, this one's about the process. It's about experimenting. That said, no experiment gets results without consistent application. So this is less about the results I get and more about sticking to the experiment for the whole challenge.

Man, I'm fired up just writing this thing. Let's go to work!

• Like 1

i really love your goals this challenge, K man. :) subbed.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Dude, on the ball with getting your thread up this challenge! Looks intense, Kishi. Light it up!

(The music is pretty kick ass too.)

Thanks! They gave me some time to get everything set up, and I'd had my goals in mind for a while.

i really love your goals this challenge, K man. :) subbed.

Thanks!

Awesome! 

And I totally agree about the strange strength.  It's amazing how rarely in a fight you need to perform a pushup... u.u

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Hey Kishi! Good to see your new challenge ready to go! It looks intense and well thought out. Good luck and success!

Rurouni Kenshin has a lot of awesome music. Now you made me have a musical binge.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Very nice, Kishi! A+ for both the inclusion of Ruroni Kenshin and the extremely epic goals. Though I will admit... The kettle bell swings in my brain turned into an animated gif of someone swinging a heavy weight and it getting thrown through the wall, Kool Aid man-style.

Good luck!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Looking freaking awesome! can't wait to see how this goes!

Level 3 Sith Battle Monk - Has a Yellow Belt in Push Ups!

STR 14 I DEX 5 I STA 16 I CON 3 I WIS 6 I CHA  7

Peace is a lie,

There is only passion,

Through passion I gain strength,

Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The Force shall set me free.

Awesome! 

And I totally agree about the strange strength.  It's amazing how rarely in a fight you need to perform a pushup... u.u

Yeah, I know. I mean, yeah, it makes sense to build endurance, but do we really wanna be good at doing lots of push ups, or do we want to be good at fighting/moving intentionally? That's still something I'm trying to figure out.

Hey Kishi! Good to see your new challenge ready to go! It looks intense and well thought out. Good luck and success!

Rurouni Kenshin has a lot of awesome music. Now you made me have a musical binge.

Thanks! I'm trying my hand out at programming for myself. If I can create a program that challenges me that I can stick to, then surely I can create something for other people too. The fact that there's really only so much variation you can do does make it a little less intimidating, tho. :D

Heck yes, Rurouni Kenshin. Love me the music from there.

Hey Kishi :) Good luck with your challenge. I'm sure your ability to create programs as a personal trainer will only grow over time - especially with your attitude!

Subscribed!

PS: Adding music to your challenge thread is a great idea :)

Thanks for the sub! I'll do the best I can to live up to your expectations.

Looking good, Guild Master.

Battling rope exercises are hardcore.  I wish you the best of luck with them.

Um, not battling ropes, although come to think of it the gym that I have a membership at does permit that kind of thing. No, what I have is a single strand of rope, about five feet or so. I tie it off with a square knot and then work through variations of a position. Right now, it's an 'archer's pose' kind of thing, so one arm is pushing and one is pulling; meanwhile, I change the position of various parts of my body. So I might tense up once whilst looking in one direction, then relax, then tense again looking in another.

It's really interesting, actually. My body reacts in lots of really different, subtle ways that you really have to work to notice. And you're able to get a ton of repetitions in a relatively short period of time.

these are some really clear, focused goals.  Kick butt!

Yes sir!

Wow, super intense!  Good luck!

Thanks!

Very nice, Kishi! A+ for both the inclusion of Ruroni Kenshin and the extremely epic goals. Though I will admit... The kettle bell swings in my brain turned into an animated gif of someone swinging a heavy weight and it getting thrown through the wall, Kool Aid man-style.

Good luck!

Well, you know, if I develop that kind of power in my hips and in my glutes, just imagine how that'll translate to striking. :D Thank you so much!

Looking freaking awesome! can't wait to see how this goes!

Me neither! I'm so freaking stoked!

Cross posted from my battle log:

Yesterday, I wasn't able to get away from the studio to get out to the gym and do my swings. Fortunately, there is a rower here, so I was able to go ahead and practice Tabata Intervals instead. Made it to 5 intervals yesterday. Holy crap. Two's easy, three taxes you, four it starts to hurt, and five you're screaming to get it done.

I also did some more isometric stuff with the rope as well. It's pretty incredible, the amount of repetitions of absolute tension you can perform when you're not moving anywhere. I think I ended up with 13 reps a minute, and there's no reason to assume I couldn't do more.

Today, after warming up:

Kipping Pull Up: 4x1

Jumping Squats: 4x10

Plyometric Push Ups: 4x5

Jumping Squats: 4x5/leg

Standing DB Row: 4x5x30

Ankle Hops: 4x10

Hanging Knee Holds: 3x21s (FAILED at 2x18s, succeeded at 3x11s).

Bridge Hold: 3x3s

Plank/Side: 30s/15s

FINISHER: 66 Burpees in 10 minutes.

Time Elapsed: 44:40 (probably finished sooner, but laid in a puddle of victory for a minute or two).

Fwah. Damn. Done. Tomorrow, rest day.

Kenshin!  Awesome!  Looking like a good challenge you've set out for yourself.  The rope work element sounds really interesting.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Jiminy Christmas!  I missed you last challenge and look what happens! Major life level up! Congrats! I'm so excited for you :) 

You can bet your bottom dollar I will not be missing this one.  Looking forward to it :) 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Kenshin!  Awesome!  Looking like a good challenge you've set out for yourself.  The rope work element sounds really interesting.

Man, I'd forgot how awesome that show was. I kind of want to go back, or at least read the tankoubon volumes that you find in the manga sections. Might reward myself with those.

Jiminy Christmas!  I missed you last challenge and look what happens! Major life level up! Congrats! I'm so excited for you :)

You can bet your bottom dollar I will not be missing this one.  Looking forward to it :)

Wah! Laura! I missed you too! This mutual missing must cease.

Thanks for the sub. I'll follow you too!

Some lofty goals, way to set the bar high! Best of luck with this challenge. I'm definitely up for another go this time around.

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Okay first of all, Heart of Sword! :D *swoon*

Second of all, yeaaaah, get pumped!

tumblr_m7n50nyjFh1row2y8.gif

But no really, I'm getting pumped up just reading your goals! I'd love to try out that kettlebell challenge (heheh, maybe not 45, though). But I know you'll do great on it! Bravo on the writing too, I'm glad you've found some motivation that seems to be doing it. Kick it, Kishi!

Level 5 Dryad Druid + Adventurer

STR 7 | DEX 10 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 13 | CHA 10.5

Leo's Dawn of Dragons Challenge

Okay first of all, Heart of Sword! :D *swoon*

Second of all, yeaaaah, get pumped!

tumblr_m7n50nyjFh1row2y8.gif

But no really, I'm getting pumped up just reading your goals! I'd love to try out that kettlebell challenge (heheh, maybe not 45, though). But I know you'll do great on it! Bravo on the writing too, I'm glad you've found some motivation that seems to be doing it. Kick it, Kishi!

You know Heart of Sword! ::swoon::

Pumped and ready. I've been looking forward to doing something like this for a while now. Can't wait to see how everything I've learned comes together. Let's rock!

Schedule: 1/1

Odd strength: 1/1

Writing: 1/1

All right, start of a new challenge. Have to hop off for the night, so quick recap before we go:

did Tabata Intervals today, on account of having to work late at the studio and not being able to get to the gym early as I'd like.

Did some isometric work afterward, pulling on the rope. The name of the game there is to find new ways to pull things, and I realize I need to start keeping a notebook of all the different variations there are on that theme of pulling.

Writing is done. Broke the chain a couple days this past weekend, but I'm back on it.

Let's go let's go let's go! Come on, monks, it's only the first day!

Starting out strong oh leader! Tabata for the win!

Keeping everything in a notebook is so hard for me, I tend to misplace it very easily. Then again, a notebook is definitely faster than writing everything down in a cellphone.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

AWE. SOME.

You got this Kish!

What a killer workout: TABATA rowing?? Ouch!

The plyos after that? I bow to you fellow Monk.  :tranquillity:

Yeah, ouch. Tabata rowing is not easy, not by a long shot. It leaves you feeling really hungry afterward, but that's how you know you worked, right?

Starting out strong oh leader! Tabata for the win!

Keeping everything in a notebook is so hard for me, I tend to misplace it very easily. Then again, a notebook is definitely faster than writing everything down in a cellphone.

Yeah, you're right, and it doesn't require a power supply or anything; see also that nobody wants to steal notebooks. They're kind of a win.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines