The Rambling Ronin

Kishi

So, let's talk pull ups to the chest, etc. Would you train those with a kipping motion at first, or would you approach it via a maximal strength approach, ie weighted pulls and the like?

I think you should try to get your chest to the bar with a kipping motion first. Then attempt to reduce your kip while still getting your chest to the bar. Eventually doing it through pure elbow flexor/lat/scapular strength.

Having said that I think either way works - so you should do the one you enjoy more ;)

Okay, time for the update. Today is not included in this, so I'll be posting another update before the night is out.

Schedule: 4/4

Odd strength: 3/3

Writing: 3/4

Rocking and rolling so far. Did 60 consecutive two-handed KB swings at 45 lbs. Finished with 15 after a minute. Then rocked out 140 KB Snatches at 25 lbs of weight.

The Snatches are proving to be interesting. I checked my watch afterwards, and apparently I'm moving way faster than the 20/minute pace I meant to set. Like, I have an extra fifty seconds to spare in the set. Either good sign in that I'm working like a boss, or bad sign in that I'm working improperly somewhere. Oh well. If my arm falls off, I guess I'll know.

Did isometrics with the rope afterward. What I've been doing so far is taking an 'archer's pose,' pushing with one against the pulling of the other. And then to make it interesting, I change the direction I'm facing. I basically realized that I have more ways to face than I thought - forward, left, right, and behind, and then looking up and down in each one of those modes. Then you can also tilt your neck one way or the other, which effectively doubles or even triples the variations in position that you can press from. Then, you start working with your shoulders too. I threw up in some good old-fashioned horse stance training at the end, just to be traditional about it. Currently at 40 seconds.

Writing is going awesome. I find that my mind works better if I get it done in the morning, but even if I wait until the afternoon or even the evening, it's still pretty okay. I've set up a system where I have a calendar, and every day I do my writing, I mark it out with a red x (or, in my case, I use a spreadsheet, fill in the dates, and then fill the next cell with red. Free, and it works). Writing, then, is about keeping the chain going. Nice and simple.

Anyway, off to comment on more threads, then work out, then clean the facility.

I think you should try to get your chest to the bar with a kipping motion first. Then attempt to reduce your kip while still getting your chest to the bar. Eventually doing it through pure elbow flexor/lat/scapular strength.

Having said that I think either way works - so you should do the one you enjoy more ;)

I'll take your advice on that! Since I'm working on it as an exploding thing anyway, working in a kip of some kind just makes sense to me.

Schedule: 5/5

Odd strength: 4/4

Writing: 4/5

Oh man. I made my goals happen, but it cost me.

Warmed Up. Explored some dynamic tension exercises. This was good. I was way stronger throughout.

Pull Ups: 1x4, 3x3

Close Squats: 4x12 (form went a little weird in the second set. I'll stick to this for now).

Close Push Ups: 4x6

Rear Leg Deadlift: 1x3

Hamstring Curl: 3x10x70 (it was a machine! I know, I know, but I've been looking for ways to strengthen that area. Wondering if I should switch to Rear Lunges or Deadlifts or what I should do. -.-; )

Inverted Rows: 4x3

2 Leg Straightened Calf Raises: 4x13

Dips: 4x3

Hanging Knee Raise: 3x8

Bridges: 3x3

Russian Twists: 3x3

Finisher: Recumbent Bike Sprints; 30s:1m work:rest ratio: 7 completed sprints in 10 minutes.

Total Time Elapsed: 47:34.

Wrote my 500 words today, too. BUT, I lost out on the chance to meet up with a friend of mine I haven't seen in a month, and to go see a music concert. Now I'm stuck out at the studio, where I'm gonna be cleaning things up before showering and going home.

Damn it. I let the goals get the better of me. Thought I'd juggle it right today, but looks like I couldn't make it work today. Shame on me.

Okay, time for the update. Today is not included in this, so I'll be posting another update before the night is out.

Schedule: 4/4

Odd strength: 3/3

Writing: 3/4

Rocking and rolling so far. Did 60 consecutive two-handed KB swings at 45 lbs. Finished with 15 after a minute. Then rocked out 140 KB Snatches at 25 lbs of weight.

The Snatches are proving to be interesting. I checked my watch afterwards, and apparently I'm moving way faster than the 20/minute pace I meant to set. Like, I have an extra fifty seconds to spare in the set. Either good sign in that I'm working like a boss, or bad sign in that I'm working improperly somewhere. Oh well. If my arm falls off, I guess I'll know.

Did isometrics with the rope afterward. What I've been doing so far is taking an 'archer's pose,' pushing with one against the pulling of the other. And then to make it interesting, I change the direction I'm facing. I basically realized that I have more ways to face than I thought - forward, left, right, and behind, and then looking up and down in each one of those modes. Then you can also tilt your neck one way or the other, which effectively doubles or even triples the variations in position that you can press from. Then, you start working with your shoulders too. I threw up in some good old-fashioned horse stance training at the end, just to be traditional about it. Currently at 40 seconds.

Writing is going awesome. I find that my mind works better if I get it done in the morning, but even if I wait until the afternoon or even the evening, it's still pretty okay. I've set up a system where I have a calendar, and every day I do my writing, I mark it out with a red x (or, in my case, I use a spreadsheet, fill in the dates, and then fill the next cell with red. Free, and it works). Writing, then, is about keeping the chain going. Nice and simple.

Anyway, off to comment on more threads, then work out, then clean the facility.

First of all:  Holy crap, Yuen! I'm going to come to you for ALL the technique advice!!

Secondly: Holy Crap, Kishi. 60 consecutive KB swings! Geez, I would've fatigued after 30! or at least have the KB slip out of my grip at the peak of my swing from my forearms giving out.

Im glad your KB goals are really being realized! And it's only the first week..

Also, great job keeping up with your writing! I know the last challenge you were struggling with finding time and motivation. Keep those words-a-comin! :)

First of all:  Holy crap, Yuen! I'm going to come to you for ALL the technique advice!!

Secondly: Holy Crap, Kishi. 60 consecutive KB swings! Geez, I would've fatigued after 30! or at least have the KB slip out of my grip at the peak of my swing from my forearms giving out.

Im glad your KB goals are really being realized! And it's only the first week..

Also, great job keeping up with your writing! I know the last challenge you were struggling with finding time and motivation. Keep those words-a-comin! :)

It's not easy. It gets better, but it never stays easy. And since the goal is to get to 75 swings and then stay above it, it means that I'm gonna have to go further with the weight I'm working with. I'll have to hit about 90 swings in a row before I can up the weight and be putting out similar effort at 75.

I definitely will! Thanks.

Schedule: 7/7

Odd strength: 6/6

Writing: 5/7

Whew. What a past couple of days it's been.

Made it to 65 consecutive swings with the 45 lb kettlebell. Followed by 160 KB snatches at 25 lbs of weight. Since I seem to have figured out how to swing the thing up and land it without destroying my arm, I think the next step is tightening up the form, making sure I'm tensing the right muscles and establishing the right alignments.

Isometrics work was done. Figured out a new way to turn my neck, which gave me even more repetitions. Finished with horse stance at 45 seconds. Gotta say, the snatches almost feel like a break between swings and isos. I am probably doing them wrong.

Last night was a night of wine and snobbery. No, really. Ate home-prepared caviar and everything. And then we helped one of our friends as she's going through a break-up with her boy. It sucks. It really, really sucks. And I don't feel like I'm doing a good job being there for her in the midst of this. I'm hoping that I'll find the courage to be a better friend for her, 20 seconds at a time.

Anyway, after cheat day and lots of alcohol and no sleep and pancakes this morning totally throwing me off, I worked the heck out.

Warmed Up/Tension Flow Drill

High Pull Ups: 4x1 (!!! You guys! The last time I tried pulling my chest to the bar, I was never able to do it. I only ever could do it when I had bands around my legs. Today? Totally did it without any assistance at all. I credit those flow drills for this).

Jumping Squats: 4x12

Plyometric Push Ups: 4x7

Jumping Squats: 4x7/Leg

Bent Over KB Row: 4x6x35 lbs

Ankle Hops: 4x12

Hanging Knee Hold: 3x18s

Bridge Hold: 3x9s

Plank/Side Plank: 3x40s/20s

Finisher: 73 Burpees in 10 minutes.

Time Elapsed: 51:04. In total, I definitely broke the hour rule. I gotta admit, I'm not really worried. I dunno if I should be, but I'm too tired to think about that.

Anyway, tomorrow's a rest day. I think I will fast through it, give my body a chance to rest from all the food. It's just like they say: the hard part isn't getting fed, it's getting fasted and staying fasted.

Kishi, your challenge is crazy! My face when I saw you got the job:

fangirl.gif

Congrats!! That's so huge, you deserve massive kudos for making that happen! Your KB stats are super as well, I don't know how're you're even leaving any awesome for the rest of us.

You bring all the best gifs! For serious.

And yeah, I can believe I got so lucky. I've already been given objectives for the next week. I can't wait to get them done and prove my quality to my boss.

I'm not leaving any awesome for you. Y'all are making your awesome all on your own!

1338194146916232_animate.gif

Congrats on the job!

So, you asked in my thread about the CSCS. All I did was go to the website, pay them money, and sign up. And study, somewhat. I'm going to re-take it, because i'm pretty sure I failed (but it's my own fault for not making studying a priority, so no boo hoos here.) You have to have a 4yr degree and CPR/AED certification as pre-reqs. 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Congrats on the job!

So, you asked in my thread about the CSCS. All I did was go to the website, pay them money, and sign up. And study, somewhat. I'm going to re-take it, because i'm pretty sure I failed (but it's my own fault for not making studying a priority, so no boo hoos here.) You have to have a 4yr degree and CPR/AED certification as pre-reqs. 

Thanks!

With the 4yr Degree, does it matter if it's in an exercise-related field or not?

Thanks!

With the 4yr Degree, does it matter if it's in an exercise-related field or not?

nope! :) 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Schedule: 7/7 (End of 2nd Cycle, Beginning 3rd)

Writing: 5/8

Wow, weekends are totally emerging as the weak point in my writing. I keep having all this time, and instead of respecting that I just break the chain. Oh well. I'm officially wised up.

Also, this is officially going to be a weird week. My training cycles work on a 4-day split, and so sometimes that means I have a couple of rest days in the week instead of just one. I'm not turning it down. But if I want to stay true to the Ferriss part of the experiment, it's gonna be nothing but KB swings this week.

Which, honestly, I'm kind of okay with, because that'll put me at 75, and that goal will be straightened out. Acceptable.

Schedule: 7/7

Writing: 5/7

Whew. What a past couple of days it's been.

Made it to 65 consecutive swings with the 45 lb kettlebell. Followed by 160 KB snatches at 25 lbs of weight. Since I seem to have figured out how to swing the thing up and land it without destroying my arm, I think the next step is tightening up the form, making sure I'm tensing the right muscles and establishing the right alignments.

Isometrics work was done. Figured out a new way to turn my neck, which gave me even more repetitions. Finished with horse stance at 45 seconds. Gotta say, the snatches almost feel like a break between swings and isos. I am probably doing them wrong.

Last night was a night of wine and snobbery. No, really. Ate home-prepared caviar and everything. And then we helped one of our friends as she's going through a break-up with her boy. It sucks. It really, really sucks. And I don't feel like I'm doing a good job being there for her in the midst of this. I'm hoping that I'll find the courage to be a better friend for her, 20 seconds at a time.

Anyway, after cheat day and lots of alcohol and no sleep and pancakes this morning totally throwing me off, I worked the heck out.

Warmed Up/Tension Flow Drill

High Pull Ups: 4x1 (!!! You guys! The last time I tried pulling my chest to the bar, I was never able to do it. I only ever could do it when I had bands around my legs. Today? Totally did it without any assistance at all. I credit those flow drills for this).

Jumping Squats: 4x12

Plyometric Push Ups: 4x7

Jumping Squats: 4x7/Leg

Bent Over KB Row: 4x6x35 lbs

Ankle Hops: 4x12

Hanging Knee Hold: 3x18s

Bridge Hold: 3x9s

Plank/Side Plank: 3x40s/20s

Finisher: 73 Burpees in 10 minutes.

Time Elapsed: 51:04. In total, I definitely broke the hour rule. I gotta admit, I'm not really worried. I dunno if I should be, but I'm too tired to think about that.

Anyway, tomorrow's a rest day. I think I will fast through it, give my body a chance to rest from all the food. It's just like they say: the hard part isn't getting fed, it's getting fasted and staying fasted.

KISHI!!

YOU WORKOUT IS KJUHASFI KSJNDUHS EKJBSKJHUBEDF KGJH SBE KHJFBSKDJHF GKJSHBEFDKJGHSBDFK JSKJHDBFJSHBDFKJSDNVKJN LKJfLKJNDSLKJV LSUHFG

KISHI!!

YOU WORKOUT IS KJUHASFI KSJNDUHS EKJBSKJHUBEDF KGJH SBE KHJFBSKDJHF GKJSHBEFDKJGHSBDFK JSKJHDBFJSHBDFKJSDNVKJN LKJfLKJNDSLKJV LSUHFG

Quoted for emphasis.  I do not know how you're not a human puddle after the workouts you post.  Srsly.

And get on that writing, boy!  Even if it's only a few minutes on the weekend, something's better than nothing, right?  At least work up to the highest amount you want, right? (At least, that's what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better about the gimpy workout I did Monday.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I hope to remember the 'odd strength'-goal; really intriguing

Well, we'll see how it works. I'm hoping to keep some kind of isometric work in my routines going forward anyway, but it's tricky because with isometrics you only really develop strength within a few degrees of the angle of flexion. So, say you have a bicep curl. Say you go to the halfway point of the curl and then hold it. You'll develop strength, but it'll only really apply within a few degrees of that particular angle of flexion, so to really get into it you need to work all kinds of angles.

The approach I'm on right now attempts to make it a whole body thing by working with a single degree of tension, and then changing the angles of the rest of the body. I'm getting stronger on my movements as a whole while this is going on, so I don't know if it's wasted or if it's legit, given that I could be getting stronger just due to gradual adaptation and practice. I suppose we'll see. But martial arts is an unorthodox, hybridized athletic pursuit. Sometimes you gotta try something different.

Quoted for emphasis.  I do not know how you're not a human puddle after the workouts you post.  Srsly.

And get on that writing, boy!  Even if it's only a few minutes on the weekend, something's better than nothing, right?  At least work up to the highest amount you want, right? (At least, that's what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better about the gimpy workout I did Monday.)

I know. I worry, to be honest. I don't have a way of taking video of myself, and without a lot of active rebels in RDU, I have no idea how to prove to you guys that I'm doing what I say I'm doing. Y'all appear to be willing to take it on faith, which I'm grateful for, but I totally understand it if y'all are skeptical.

As to how I'm doing it? Well, it's not complicated. I warm up, I work out, I stamp a finisher on it, and I cool back down. For warm ups, I use Dan Go's 6 Minute Superhuman routines; I tack on some Bodyweight Flow Routines from Tyler Barlett and Sylvia Feone (another freaking fantastic system). My workouts are the product of very slow, very deliberate adaptation. I've paid my dues in the less difficult places so that I could get into the more difficult places. My finishers are simple things, but I only do them if I've done a good job with working out, ie, I didn't go to technical failure.

The rest of it? It's just fighter's mentality. I see each workout as an opponent, a steadily stronger one, whom I must match if I wish to win. This was driven home to me in my last belt test, when I was forced to fight ten separate opponents, each one fresh, each one steadily better than the other. I almost didn't make it. I never want to feel that way again.

Also, I wanna be pretty for my wife someday. Strength is pretty. The stronger I get, the prettier I am.

AlexLouisArmstrong!LookAtThoseGodlyMuscl

Yeaaaaaah.

You're right about the writing. It's like exercise, actually: it doesn't matter how weak the contraction of the muscle is. The contraction (writing) that you can do is a million times better than the contraction that you can't do.

KISHI!!

This. Every time.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

This. Every time.

I make the ladies incoherently keyboard! Now if only I was so charming in the real world. :D

I don't think I can add anything thus far in addition to what everyone's said... other than +1 to all of it. Still cheering you on, dude, keep it up! :D

Thanks!

Well, we'll see how it works. I'm hoping to keep some kind of isometric work in my routines going forward anyway, but it's tricky because with isometrics you only really develop strength within a few degrees of the angle of flexion. So, say you have a bicep curl. Say you go to the halfway point of the curl and then hold it. You'll develop strength, but it'll only really apply within a few degrees of that particular angle of flexion, so to really get into it you need to work all kinds of angles.

The approach I'm on right now attempts to make it a whole body thing by working with a single degree of tension, and then changing the angles of the rest of the body. I'm getting stronger on my movements as a whole while this is going on, so I don't know if it's wasted or if it's legit, given that I could be getting stronger just due to gradual adaptation and practice. I suppose we'll see. But martial arts is an unorthodox, hybridized athletic pursuit. Sometimes you gotta try something different.

I'm sorry, I might only have understood one line out of 6 that you wrote there :panda:  /bows down

going from the example of excercise in your first post about doing excercise with a rope, i thought it was about training for real life situations as : 'I'm able to deadlift 300kg. But sorry gal, i can't lift your 150kg ass out of this burning building.  "helping you out with moving that 100kg closet to another appartment , sure thing ..'  ooh, wrong size, those stairs, that corner... nah, can't help you there... "

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

I'm sorry, I might only have understood one line out of 6 that you wrote there :panda:  /bows down

going from the example of excercise in your first post about doing excercise with a rope, i thought it was about training for real life situations as : 'I'm able to deadlift 300kg. But sorry gal, i can't lift your 150kg ass out of this burning building.  "helping you out with moving that 100kg closet to another appartment , sure thing ..'  ooh, wrong size, those stairs, that corner... nah, can't help you there... "

Well, if I had a rope to climb with, yeah, totally! I'd love to be able to test myself that way. But I got nothing there, so, got to make the most of what I do have. As it is, it's just a little bit of rope, about five feet long. Not much use for climbing.

Schedule: 9/9

Odd strength: 8/8

Writing: 6/9

Phew. Time to catch up.

Tuesday, I did 70 consecutive swings at 45 lbs. 180 snatches at 25 lbs. Did some isometrics work afterward as well. I'm starting to work not only neck/facing variations but combining them with variations in shoulder position. Wrapped up with horse stance at 50 seconds.

Today was a maximal strength day.

Warm Up/Flow Drills

Pull Ups: 4x4,4,3,3 (Kind of brushing the limit here. I'll have to stick to this rep range for a bit. Or, alternately, since I'm only going to get one max strength training session this week, maybe I can take a crack at advancing next time).

Close Squats: 4x12

Close Push Ups: 4x7

Reverse Lunges: 4x14/leg

Inverted Rows: 4x4 (brushing my limits here too, can feel it).

Calf Raises: 4x14

Dips: 4x4 (and again with the brushing of limits! Now that I'm re-reading this, I think I'll spend the next couple sessions cementing my gains).

Hanging Knee Raise: 3x9

Bridge Holds: 3x12s

Russian Twists: 3x4 (FAILED at 3x2. X( DAMMIT. I was so close to being able to run a finisher tonight. Why on the very last... ugh).

Time Elapsed: 40:06.

Did my writing, too. Telling a short story and basically throwing ALL THE ANIME TROPES at it, or so it feels like.

And... that's it, so far.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines