The Rambling Ronin

Kishi

Well, if I had a rope to climb with, yeah, totally! I'd love to be able to test myself that way. But I got nothing there, so, got to make the most of what I do have. As it is, it's just a little bit of rope, about five feet long. Not much use for climbing.

Hey, that'd be five feet higher than you could normally get to.

Just sayin'.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Aaaaand, now I'm looking for places to hang my rope and climb. Thanks for that! XD

First world problems...

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

The approach I'm on right now attempts to make it a whole body thing by working with a single degree of tension, and then changing the angles of the rest of the body. I'm getting stronger on my movements as a whole while this is going on, so I don't know if it's wasted or if it's legit, given that I could be getting stronger just due to gradual adaptation and practice. I suppose we'll see. But martial arts is an unorthodox, hybridized athletic pursuit. Sometimes you gotta try something different.

An eclectic approach which I strongly agree with. Even if there is an optimal route for each of us, it could take several years to find it. Why not experiment?

Great to see you going as strong as ever. I like the idea of seeing each routine as an opponent! Go Leader!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

First world problems...

original.gif

An eclectic approach which I strongly agree with. Even if there is an optimal route for each of us, it could take several years to find it. Why not experiment?

Great to see you going as strong as ever. I like the idea of seeing each routine as an opponent! Go Leader!

Well, there's experimentation, and then there's just screwing around. There's a very fine line between the two.

OSU!

Schedule: 10/10

Odd strength: 9/9

Writing: 7/10

Basically an update for yesterday. Not much to say... except that I hit my 75 consecutive swings!

success-kid-meme-generator-boom-goes-the

Also did 200 KB Snatches in 10 minutes! YESSSSS. Also proceeded to do isometrics, finished with 55s horse stance.

So, just gotta catch up my rowing, which is an interesting challenge given that it's the supplemental thing I'm doing. But there's plenty of time left in the challenge. As long as I pursue it when I can, it'll be just fine.

As for the swings, I figure I'll stick to 45 for a bit. I did some math, and I figure that in order to move the equivalent amount of weight for a 55 lb-er at 75 swings, I'd have to get up to a bit over 90 swings. So I guess I'll just go ahead and press on here. Maybe slow down the advancement for a bit here to work on form, and just focus on one more rep as opposed to 5 more at a time. Because the goal-cake done been baked. The rest is just icing. :D

Hot stuff! That´s inspiring! There goes the fine line, you are definitely not screwing around! XD 

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

That baby is correct!

You set the bar ever higher K, keep it up!

Thanks!

Hot stuff! That´s inspiring! There goes the fine line, you are definitely not screwing around! XD 

I try to find these lines and not step over them so much as take flying leaps over them. Might as well, right?

Schedule: 11/11

Odd strength: 10/10

Writing: 8/11

Got everything done early today, so early update!

Warmed Up

High Pull Ups: 4x2 (form didn't fail, but definitely needed a kick toward the end. Time to pay my dues).

Jumping Squats: 4x13

Plyometric Push Ups: 4x8

Jumping Lunges: 4x8/Leg

DB Rows: 4x7x35lbs

Ankle Hops: 4x13

Hanging Knee Hold: 3x19s

Bridge: 3x15s

Plank/Side Plank: 3x45/23s

FINISHER: 7 Hill Sprints in 10 Minutes

Time Elapsed: 58:34

Wrote my 500 words today. I don't have an imposed deadline for the novel, this month, except to ignore it for a while. So I've been alternating between short story work and just ranting and raving for 500 words. Lately, I've been grappling with the concept of 'the maintenance mindset,' working out to keep from getting worse. I have thoughts about it, but I don't know how to put it in that deep, honest, Gaiman-esque way (people like Neil Gaiman, right? That's something the kids are still into?).

Whew. Tomorrow's a rest and cheat day both. Gonna have to find something active to start the day off with to make the day work.

Schedule: 12/12 (End of Third Cycle, Beginning Fourth)

Odd strength: 10/10

Writing: 9/12

Well, today was a day of relative rest and relaxation. Had to get out to CH early, and then stayed out with personal clients of mine forever. Still don't understand how a trip to a grocery store that's less than ten minutes away ended up taking three freaking hours. Then ended up having to go to work. Still, when you work in a coffee/sweets shop, you find ways to eat yourself silly. So cheat day was not a loss.

Also kept up the writing chain! Now to make it through tomorrow with that chain intact.

Schedule: 13/13

Odd strength: 11/11

Writing: 10/13

So, restarted the cycle yesterday. Woke up too late and didn't have time to make it to the gym. Ended up fooling around with the kettlebell I have at home. I did my best to approximate the amount of weight I was shifting using the 45 lb bell using the 35. Ended up doing 98 swings. Did 20 snatches in a minute afterward, and the isometrics with a full minute in horse stance.

We'll see what I can make happen today.

Way to improvise!

Most people would've just admitted defeat for oversleeping and missing the gym. Good job doing your own thing! That's what makes you so awesome.  :tranquil:

Thanks! I might have let myself get distracted, but I have a bunch of awesome Monks watching me. Can't let you down.

Schedule: 14/14

Odd strength: 12/12

Writing: 11/14

Update for Monday, August 12:

Warmed Up/Flow Drill

Pull Ups: 4x4, 4, 3, 3

Close Squats: 4x13 (lost balance in here. Curious. Will stay at this for a little while).

Close Push Ups: 4x8

Reverse Lunges: 4x8/Leg

Inverted Rows: 4x4

2-Legged Calf Raises: 4x15

Dips: 4x5

Flow Drill 2

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x10

Bridges: 3x6

Russian Twists: 3x4

Flow Drill 3

Finisher: 8 Hill Sprints in 10 minutes.

Time Elapsed: 62 minutes. o.O Might need to cut out some drills to bring this down.

Most pleased about the fact that the writing is still happening. Good stuff. :)

Awesome, Kishi.  I have a hard time dragging myself out of bed to begin with, so when other people work out in the morning it always amazes me.

And with all of this writing you're doing, how much of it is based on us personalities here in the Monkery, eh?  Are we going to see a NY Times best seller eventually that features characters disturbingly like us? :P

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines