The Rambling Ronin

Kishi

Awesome, Kishi.  I have a hard time dragging myself out of bed to begin with, so when other people work out in the morning it always amazes me.

And with all of this writing you're doing, how much of it is based on us personalities here in the Monkery, eh?  Are we going to see a NY Times best seller eventually that features characters disturbingly like us? :tongue:

You know, it's funny. I don't actually tend to base my characters off of people that I know in real life. But you know, my stories could use a magnificent bastard or two. If they happen to be on fire the whole time, well, all the better, right? :D

Yeah, when are we going to get to see some of this writing??

What.

I concur; I'd love to at least see a teaser for whatever you're working on! :)

Wha- bu-. I don't. I don't understand. Don't you guys get that I'm a hack? I write 500 not so good words per day, and lately without the theme of a novel they've just been me ranting and raving about things. You wonder why my typical mid-challenge break hasn't happened yet? It's 'cuz I'm screaming into the pages.

But you know, I've got a short story that's undergone a couple rounds of edits. It's my typical work: boy meets girl, boy likes girl, something awful happens. :D But if y'all want to give it a read, maybe offer some feedback, I'd love to share it with you.

Awww, real life stuff. I'd read!   :D

Huh. Well, I'll go ahead and share something with y'all then. I actually made a status update out of it, and my mom totally loved it.

Once, it was asked of me why I exercise so much.

It wasn't asked in the most thoughtful of circumstances. I was distance-running along with a girl on a bike, and she asked me.

It was the first time anyone had ever asked me that question. I was flustered. Exercise, for me, is something that has a lot of different reasons and connotations built into it. It started as a religious compunction to take care of my body for my God and my spouse. By the time I realized that the spouse wasn't coming, I'd fallen enough in love with God and the grit and grind of the discipline that I was able to keep going.

I'd never really bothered to think of it in the context of writing, though. It never occurred to me that writing and exercise might have anything in common at all. Generally, when you consider enhanced writing, you're thinking of a cut internet connection, candy near to hand, coffee fresh from the pot. You aren't being active in anything except the writing itself. There's a reason they call it "Butt In Chair" time.

It wasn't until I read an email from James Clear that the relationship began to crystallize in my mind. Mr. Clear is a writer, traveler, and strength athlete. The first two make sense in the reader's mind, but a strength athlete as well? Why does an athlete bother to write anything at all? He should be in the gym, wearing a ratty tank top, flexing in the mirror and calling everyone "Bro."

I'll have you know that I only call you Bro if I like you.

In this email, he quoted several writers on the nature of their habits. Naturally, there was plenty about spending time writing every day, and how you shouldn't be afraid if the first draft ends up being the first of twenty or whatever. But what surprised me the most was the raw physicality that several of these writers expressed.

Haruki Murakami runs a 10K in the afternoons after he's done writing, or else swims 1500 meters; sometimes he'll even do both.

A.J. Jacobs writes whilst walking on his treadmill.

Vonnegut wrote of doing calisthenics when taking breaks from his writing, and how he was growing lean and sinewy, "but maybe not."

I was really struck by this tradition of physicality and writing. I shouldn't have been. Socrates himself said, "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." The great minds of history believed in the soundness of the body, that it was something worth pursuing and keeping.

If I were to answer her question now, it would be something like this:

Writing is what clouds the mind, draws you into worlds and characters that no one else can see. Exercise clears the mind, makes you touch the world, and brings you back so that the writing can take you away again.

Schedule: 16/16 (End 4th Cycle)

Odd strength: 14/14

Writing: 12/16

Welp, time to catch up.

Tuesday, I ended up out at the gym doing some swings and some snatches. Ended up at 1x77x45, and managed to incorporate some great tips about form. Ended up using my shoulders a lot less and my hips a lot more. Losing that tension in the shoulders ended up being really awesome; using my hips to achieve that same height made the workout much better. The bell swung out crisp and clean, never faltered down. Was really, really happy to see that. Afterward, 40 snatches in two minutes with 35 lbs. Did the isometric work afterward as well.

Then yesterday, I hit it with the workout again:

Warm Up/Flow Drill

High Pull Ups: 2x2; Pull Ups: 2x3 (had an insight. Up to a certain point, the best way to work the most strength qualities is to use the basic movement. I'm not at the point where I can just belt out the pull ups, so no reason to try and fry the system harder).

Jumping Squats: 4x14

Plyometric Push Ups: 4x9

Jumping Lunges: 4x9/Leg

DB Row: 4x8x35

Ankle Hops: 4x14

Flow Drill 2

Hanging Knee Hold: 3x20s

Bridge Hold: 3x18s

Planks/Side Planks: 3x50s/25s

Flow Drill 3

Finisher: 9 Hill Sprints in 10 Minutes.

Time Elapsed: 58:10

Missed out on writing last night to go smoke hookah with some ladies. I REGRET NOTHING... except that we didn't actually get to smoke any hookah. I'll get 'em next time, though, by damn.

Anyway! Rest day today. This next cycle will be a touch easier just to give my body a break and let it catch up.

Also, interesting thing on the horizon: I've got a family reunion coming up on the 29th of this month. Always looking for more hurdles to jump. :D

Very nice writing Kishi! It is a good explanation of why you are. And the last two lines are quite quotable!

Solid routines! Those hill sprints make me wish I had access to uneven terrain.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Very nice writing Kishi! It is a good explanation of why you are. And the last two lines are quite quotable!

Solid routines! Those hill sprints make me wish I had access to uneven terrain.

Thank you! I got lucky with that one - managed to 'catch the wind,' so to speak.

And you know, why do you need hills? You got a beach nearby, or the street outside your house. Sprinting is second only to hill-sprinting in its benefits, apparently. I hope I'll be able to report on that.

Schedule: 10/10

Odd strength: 9/9

Writing: 7/10

Basically an update for yesterday. Not much to say... except that I hit my 75 consecutive swings!

Also did 200 KB Snatches in 10 minutes! YESSSSS. Also proceeded to do isometrics, finished with 55s horse stance.

So, just gotta catch up my rowing, which is an interesting challenge given that it's the supplemental thing I'm doing. But there's plenty of time left in the challenge. As long as I pursue it when I can, it'll be just fine.

As for the swings, I figure I'll stick to 45 for a bit. I did some math, and I figure that in order to move the equivalent amount of weight for a 55 lb-er at 75 swings, I'd have to get up to a bit over 90 swings. So I guess I'll just go ahead and press on here. Maybe slow down the advancement for a bit here to work on form, and just focus on one more rep as opposed to 5 more at a time. Because the goal-cake done been baked. The rest is just icing. :D

Holy bananas! Well done!

You know, it's funny. I don't actually tend to base my characters off of people that I know in real life. But you know, my stories could use a magnificent bastard or two. If they happen to be on fire the whole time, well, all the better, right? :D

What.

Wha- bu-. I don't. I don't understand. Don't you guys get that I'm a hack? I write 500 not so good words per day, and lately without the theme of a novel they've just been me ranting and raving about things. You wonder why my typical mid-challenge break hasn't happened yet? It's 'cuz I'm screaming into the pages.

But you know, I've got a short story that's undergone a couple rounds of edits. It's my typical work: boy meets girl, boy likes girl, something awful happens. :D But if y'all want to give it a read, maybe offer some feedback, I'd love to share it with you.

FALSE.  I'm sorry friend, but I remember your writing from many, many challenges ago.  It was great then, I imagine it's only gotten better.

Huh. Well, I'll go ahead and share something with y'all then. I actually made a status update out of it, and my mom totally loved it.

It wasn't asked in the most thoughtful of circumstances. I was distance-running along with a girl on a bike, and she asked me.

It was the first time anyone had ever asked me that question. I was flustered. Exercise, for me, is something that has a lot of different reasons and connotations built into it. It started as a religious compunction to take care of my body for my God and my spouse. By the time I realized that the spouse wasn't coming, I'd fallen enough in love with God and the grit and grind of the discipline that I was able to keep going.

I'd never really bothered to think of it in the context of writing, though. It never occurred to me that writing and exercise might have anything in common at all. Generally, when you consider enhanced writing, you're thinking of a cut internet connection, candy near to hand, coffee fresh from the pot. You aren't being active in anything except the writing itself. There's a reason they call it "Butt In Chair" time.

It wasn't until I read an email from James Clear that the relationship began to crystallize in my mind. Mr. Clear is a writer, traveler, and strength athlete. The first two make sense in the reader's mind, but a strength athlete as well? Why does an athlete bother to write anything at all? He should be in the gym, wearing a ratty tank top, flexing in the mirror and calling everyone "Bro."

In this email, he quoted several writers on the nature of their habits. Naturally, there was plenty about spending time writing every day, and how you shouldn't be afraid if the first draft ends up being the first of twenty or whatever. But what surprised me the most was the raw physicality that several of these writers expressed.

Haruki Murakami runs a 10K in the afternoons after he's done writing, or else swims 1500 meters; sometimes he'll even do both.

Vonnegut wrote of doing calisthenics when taking breaks from his writing, and how he was growing lean and sinewy, "but maybe not."

I was really struck by this tradition of physicality and writing. I shouldn't have been. Socrates himself said, "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." The great minds of history believed in the soundness of the body, that it was something worth pursuing and keeping.

Writing is what clouds the mind, draws you into worlds and characters that no one else can see. Exercise clears the mind, makes you touch the world, and brings you back so that the writing can take you away again.

Oh, and I'm right.  Beautiful.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Holy bananas! Well done!

FALSE.  I'm sorry friend, but I remember your writing from many, many challenges ago.  It was great then, I imagine it's only gotten better.

Oh, and I'm right.  Beautiful.

Thank you!

And, thank you for enjoying my writing. I'm glad you did.

+1 to Zuel and Laura ! I enjoyed your writing. I've never thought of it that way: writing clouds the mind, exercise clears it. Makes sense to me! It's an awesome concept.

Congrats of the new KB swing technique! I LOVE it when I learn to tweak some tiny thing and it makes a load of difference! ^_^

Now, maybe you have said this before and I have missed it: What exactly are your ambitions in writing? Do you wish to publish one day, or is it a cleansing type hobby?

+1 to Zuel and Laura ! I enjoyed your writing. I've never thought of it that way: writing clouds the mind, exercise clears it. Makes sense to me! It's an awesome concept.

Congrats of the new KB swing technique! I LOVE it when I learn to tweak some tiny thing and it makes a load of difference! ^_^

Now, maybe you have said this before and I have missed it: What exactly are your ambitions in writing? Do you wish to publish one day, or is it a cleansing type hobby?

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, that was a good tweak. I can feel it in my shoulder already, like I'm healing. That's a good feeling.

At the moment, with my writing, it's kind of a cleansing hobby. But that's because I'm trying to take other work and get it published. So the answer to your question, I guess, is both. Figuring out the balance of writing and editing and looking for a publisher has been a weak point of mine for a while now. I don't know if I'll ever really get it right, but for now that's how it seems to be working out.

Schedule: 18/18

Odd strength: 16/16

Writing: 13/18

Man oh man. What an interesting couple of days it's been.

Friday, I went out and tried to do Tabata Intervals on the rowers. It turns out that the gym I go to had a shitty pair of rowers, though. No tension on the lines or anything. I tried it with an elliptical machine, and it was clunky and awkward and horrible. Got to seven intervals, though, and did my isometrics afterward.

Today was a bit of a strength deload day.

Warm Up/Flow Work

Negatives: 4x4, 4, 3, 3

Squats: 4x14

Push Ups: 4x9

Lunges: 4x9/leg

Inverted Rows: 4x5

Bent Leg Calf Raises: 4x16

Bench Dips: 4x6

Hanging Knee Raises: 4x8

Bridges: 3x7

Russian Twists: 3x5

Finisher: 200 Punches

Time: 41 something.

Writing's been spotty the past couple of days. I got it done today, but there was no time last night because... Rocky Horror, man. And I was one of the Virgins. One of many, it turned out. Anyway, didn't get in until about 4 in the morning. No writing after that, I'm afraid. Oh well. It's still going better than it has in a long time.

MOAR.  I demand MOAR!

Seriously brother, that's amazing.  If it's a clearing hobby, have you thought of maybe making a blog?  Serves a mutli-fold purpose from my eyes: Lets you have a place to write said clearing material, gives you a motivation to keep writing (especially if you say you'll update every 3-4 days), and if you want to get published, you can tell people to look at the blog for your writing style.  But you definitely can do that easily, from everything I've seen here. (And I'm jealous.  I'm a terrible writer but an awesome reader.  So write me awesome things to read.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

MOAR.  I demand MOAR!

Seriously brother, that's amazing.  If it's a clearing hobby, have you thought of maybe making a blog?  Serves a mutli-fold purpose from my eyes: Lets you have a place to write said clearing material, gives you a motivation to keep writing (especially if you say you'll update every 3-4 days), and if you want to get published, you can tell people to look at the blog for your writing style.  But you definitely can do that easily, from everything I've seen here. (And I'm jealous.  I'm a terrible writer but an awesome reader.  So write me awesome things to read.)

Well, if y'all like, I've got a short story that I want to start sending out. I have a feeling it needs a lot of polish, but it's undergone some already, and I could use some other eyes to read it for me. I guess, if people want to give it a read, y'all can just say so in here and I'll send it to you.

A blog, you say? I seem to have thought of this before... maybe I should actually... oh, I dunno. Post links and actually get it up somewhere for people to see. I am doing the opposite of knowing on this.

Schedule: 21/21

Odd strength: 18/18

Writing: 16/21

Phew. Three days of bad eating. THREE. DAYS. It sucked. I wanted to do nothing but curl up with a grassfed steak and die.

But it's done, and it's behind. A good day's worth of eating yesterday, and I feel... well, I just feel better. I'm playing with a fast today just to see how it feels and... I feel fine. Like, clean. I'd gotten so used to it that I wasn't able to respect how hard it is for my clients, coming from where they are to try to do things like I do.

Tell you what. Three days in their world was enough for me. Now it's ground poultry and rice for me.

Sunday, I did 78 swings, followed by 60 snatches at 35 lbs in three minutes. The gym was getting ready to close, and it was the last day of food-pocalypse, so I only did horse stance training that day, clocked at 65 seconds.

Yesterday, it was an endurance day. I had a theory that if you 'deload' a move by removing it one magnitude of intensity, then you can do endurance work at two magnitudes lower. It turned out to be mostly true, with the exception of pull ups. Because pull ups are hard.

Assisted Pull Ups: 4x15 (Was able to do them, but really, really struggled to get them done).

Sumo Squats: 4x20

Incline Push Ups: 4x20

Split Squats: 4x20/Leg

Incline Rows (Expanded Angle): 4x20

Bent-Legged Calf Raises: 4x20

At this point, I got interrupted by a circuit class starting in the studio. That's okay, though. I totally forgot to start my watch and figure out the time. So, I went home, and engaged in core work.

Hanging Knee Holds: 4x16s

Bridge Holds: 3x21s

Planks/Side Planks: 3x55/28s

Schedule: 21/21

Odd strength: 18/18

Writing: 16/21

Phew. Three days of bad eating. THREE. DAYS. It sucked. I wanted to do nothing but curl up with a grassfed steak and die.

But it's done, and it's behind. A good day's worth of eating yesterday, and I feel... well, I just feel better. I'm playing with a fast today just to see how it feels and... I feel fine. Like, clean. I'd gotten so used to it that I wasn't able to respect how hard it is for my clients, coming from where they are to try to do things like I do.

Tell you what. Three days in their world was enough for me. Now it's ground poultry and rice for me.

Sunday, I did 78 swings, followed by 60 snatches at 35 lbs in three minutes. The gym was getting ready to close, and it was the last day of food-pocalypse, so I only did horse stance training that day, clocked at 65 seconds.

Yesterday, it was an endurance day. I had a theory that if you 'deload' a move by removing it one magnitude of intensity, then you can do endurance work at two magnitudes lower. It turned out to be mostly true, with the exception of pull ups. Because pull ups are hard.

Assisted Pull Ups: 4x15 (Was able to do them, but really, really struggled to get them done).

Sumo Squats: 4x20

Incline Push Ups: 4x20

Split Squats: 4x20/Leg

Incline Rows (Expanded Angle): 4x20

Bent-Legged Calf Raises: 4x20

At this point, I got interrupted by a circuit class starting in the studio. That's okay, though. I totally forgot to start my watch and figure out the time. So, I went home, and engaged in core work.

Hanging Knee Holds: 4x16s

Bridge Holds: 3x21s

Planks/Side Planks: 3x55/28s

BAHAHAHHAA. Ahhhhhh, me too.

WHy the 3 days of bad eating?

Stress?

BAHAHAHHAA. Ahhhhhh, me too.

WHy the 3 days of bad eating?

Stress?

Mm, combination of people visiting coinciding with cheat day coinciding with my personal okay-ness with slacking off on diet in the name of effective community. And maybe a little stress. Not as much as you'd think, though.

Schedule: 23/23

Odd strength: 20/20

Writing: 18/23

This once-every-two-days thing is really not my style. I'd rather updating every day, but somehow it seems that life gets in the way and stays in the way. Lucky me?

Wednesday was another day for kettlebells. So, did 79 swings at 45 lbs. Then kept up with the newest Snatch requirements, hitting 80 in four minutes. That particular challenge is proving interesting. As I got better at 25, I found myself with an increasing surplus of time. Last time when I hit 200 snatches, I had almost a whole minute left to play with. I don't think that's gonna happen now. I mean, I'm keeping even with it for now but sooner or later... kaput.

Oh well. Deal with that when it comes. Did some isometrics, held horse stance for 70 seconds.

Today, we went back to work with regular strength stuff.

Warm Up/Flow Work

Pull Ups: 4x4,4,3,3

Close Squats: 4x14

Close Push Ups: 4x9

Reverse Lunges: 4x9/Leg

Inverted Rows: 4x5

Straight Legged Calf Raises: 4x16

Dips: 4x6

Flow Work

Hanging Knee Raise: 4x9 (Form slipped some here. Need to keep to this for now).

Bridges: 3x8

Russian Twists: 3x6

Finisher: Hill Sprints - 9.5 in 10 minutes. (Wow, what a lesson in the power of cadence. Couldn't get the first sprints to match up with my breathing. Figured it out eventually, but it was too late by then).

Time Elapsed: 62:08

Dammit! Need to cut another flow out. I'm lucky; I only need to use one in order to prime the body and see benefit. If that doesn't do it, then we'll have to start cutting into rest times.

All right. Tabata training tomorrow. Let's see how this one plays out.

Schedule: 24/24

Odd strength: 21/21

Writing: 19/24

Oh, wow. What a day for training.

So, today I decided to go ahead and do sprints as opposed to the rowing. I didn't want to go to the gym and fight traffic and deadlines and all that and I thought, What's the harm? I went to work with it, warming up with flow drills before a two-minute warm-up walk/jog, and then eight rounds of sprinting.

Holy crap. That was hard. I found nothing but hills to work with and between that and the warmth and the humidity... totally different ballgame. Still did it, though. :D

After that, isometrics and horse stance at 75s.

Tomorrow, I have just been informed, there is a hiking opportunity. So, I shall willfully forgo training in favor of going off to be with friends. I have made my peace with it.

Tomorrow, I have just been informed, there is a hiking opportunity. So, I shall willfully forgo training in favor of going off to be with friends. I have made my peace with it.

I don't know about you, but I train to live not the other way around. Have fun.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Schedule: 24/24

Odd strength: 21/21

Writing: 19/24

Oh, wow. What a day for training.

So, today I decided to go ahead and do sprints as opposed to the rowing. I didn't want to go to the gym and fight traffic and deadlines and all that and I thought, What's the harm? I went to work with it, warming up with flow drills before a two-minute warm-up walk/jog, and then eight rounds of sprinting.

Holy crap. That was hard. I found nothing but hills to work with and between that and the warmth and the humidity... totally different ballgame. Still did it, though. :D

After that, isometrics and horse stance at 75s.

Way to rock to hard core hill sprints! One day, maybe I can be as awesome as you!

Have fun on your hike!!! Sounds fun :)

I don't know about you, but I train to live not the other way around. Have fun.

I know! But when training is so much of your life, it's hard to see the difference.

Way to rock to hard core hill sprints! One day, maybe I can be as awesome as you!

Have fun on your hike!!! Sounds fun :)

Thank you! One day? What are you talking about? Awesome is relative. You show just as much as I do.

It was fun. Went out, got too much sun. It was awesome. :D

Schedule: 26/27

Odd strength: 22/23

Writing: 22/27

Well, it turns out that hiking at the beach was code for, 'Lie in the sun in front of the ocean.' I regret nothing.

I decided to take yesterday just to go for a short run. Only a mile or so. Didn't hit the pace I wanted, so the next time I do that I think I'll just stick to that distance and try to up the intensity instead.

Today, right back at it.  80 kettlebell swings. Something in my shoulder didn't like the snatches, though, so I decided to go ahead and hold off on them tonight. Isometrics and horse stance; made it to 80 seconds tonight.

Also, thanks to the pestering nagging encouragement of my fellow nerds, I have decided to join the Blogosphere. My ramblings can be found here.

And... yeah. That's pretty much it.  Taking off to do a family reunion on Friday. Should be fun times. Training will have to change some to compensate. Should be interesting to see what comes.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines